PDA

View Full Version : festus/marauders

Mitch676
16-10-2014, 11:38
Hi

How would a unit of 40 marauders with Festus (fleshy abundance spell) regen +5 (+4) on successful cast with MoN and shields/Light Armor do?

Could also have a level 4 sorc in for another lot of fleshy abundance? for +3?

Cheers

Ayin
16-10-2014, 12:51
Well, what do you want them to do? Giving the unit Regen gives it staying power, as does the Light Armour/Shields combo, but their killing power is going to be extremely low, especially for a unit that's invested in a character. It might be worth considering that, if you are going to take a character to improve their surviveability, you can take weapon options that improve their killing power. Flails or Great Weapons would probably serve your unit much better than a 6+ parry save that you're probably not going to use if you've got Regenerate.

Mitch676
16-10-2014, 15:06
whats better GW or Flails?

And can i cast fleshy abundance x2 on a unit?

Ayin
16-10-2014, 15:56
I guess it would be up to your personal preference and experience as to which one you like better. Flails come in the kit, so that helps, but it's not super difficult to make Great Axes for them. Flails are cheaper and give you that punch (and you get to use them on Initiative, which is of some use), and Greatweapons let you deliver hurt over several turns. Considering you are trying to make a resilient unit that's going to last (with mark of Nurgle and backed up by regen spells) then them having the ability to put out damage for a few turns makes sense.

I don't know if the spell can be cast twice, don't have the book on me. Likely it states in the spell description whether or not additional castings have any effect.

SimaoSegunda
16-10-2014, 21:34
Ayin said it above, but it bears highlighting and repeating, hand weapon and shield combo is less useful with Festus, as you don't get to take both a ward save (parry) and a regen save, you have to pick one or the other. It still give +1 armour, and you'll get the parry against flaming, but it becomes less points efficient on a unit with access to regen saves.

lordlorien
16-10-2014, 21:56
From my perspective the marauder unit is just too expensive for what you get. Especially in the WoC army book with tons of good units and even several better core units. In my opinion 18 warriors with FC MoN and GW or FC MoK and halberd are better than the marauders and still cheaper. And that is before you add characters to the units. Also chariots, hounds, and horseman all rank better imo than marauders when I choose my core.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD

Ayin
17-10-2014, 04:40
Ye, filling the core with hounds, fast cav and chariots and ignoring Marauders and likely Warriors themselves will get you a harder, more powerful force. But Marauders are in no way 'bad' (and neither are Warriors), they just don't stand up to the ridiculousness that is possible with the rest of the book, and using them as a unit as efficiently as possible is a very reasonable goal.

nathan2004
17-10-2014, 18:57
whats better GW or Flails?

And can i cast fleshy abundance x2 on a unit?

Yes you can cast an augment spell on a unit twice and in this case they would have a 3+ regen save. I would go with Great weapons on the marauders in case you get stuck in a protracted combat the unit retains it's killing power though you give up ever getting to hit first in combat.

Rudra34
17-10-2014, 19:32
You CAN have fleshy abundance on a unit twice, and it will stack. But how are you going to have the same non-signature spell twice in one army?

nathan2004
17-10-2014, 20:11
That's actually a really good point since WoC don't have any loremasters (nurgle) that we can take. Now if the new ET books that's about to drop combines WoC and DoC, that will probably give us the ability to do just that. But I'm speculating of course I have no ideas what the rules will look like for a Legion of Chaos list...

Lord Dan
18-10-2014, 09:08
But Marauders are in no way 'bad' (and neither are Warriors), they just don't stand up to the ridiculousness that is possible with the rest of the book, and using them as a unit as efficiently as possible is a very reasonable goal.
I wholeheartedly agree.