PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Imperial Guard vehicle, please help identify.

Lord Hurin
19-10-2014, 21:09
Hey guys, a local comic shop has a used Guard vehicle that I don't recognize. It looks like a Basilisk chassis with a big Mortar on it. It is crewed by old metal Cadian models. Any insight? I didn't buy it since I don't know what it is, so no pics sadly.

Grudgedesign
19-10-2014, 21:10
Griffon?

Words for the word god

Orzel_Dragon
19-10-2014, 21:18
It definitely sounds like a Griffon Heavy Mortar. It should have two crouched metal Cadian as crew and no gun shield (compared to the Basilisk). It was in the previous codex but taken out for the current one, but I believe Forgeworld does a version

Lord Hurin
19-10-2014, 21:21
Yep, both guys are crouched down and there's no shield on it. Sounds like that's my guy then.

So, if I were to buy a Wyvern kit could I easily convert this Griffon into a Hydra with the extra bits in the box?

Latro_
19-10-2014, 21:26
one of these?
http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae172/imVex/Tanks/Griffon1.jpg~original

if so yea a griffon

Commissar Davis
19-10-2014, 21:38
Yep, both guys are crouched down and there's no shield on it. Sounds like that's my guy then.

So, if I were to buy a Wyvern kit could I easily convert this Griffon into a Hydra with the extra bits in the box?

Just get Imperial Armour one 2ed and use it for what it is. It has some nice rules and is not that expensive points-wise.

AndrewGPaul
20-10-2014, 18:46
You can't build both a Wyvern and a Hydra gun platform from a single kit. Essentially, the only difference is that thew Hydra has extended gun barrels; the firing platform, gun shield, crew, controls and the "gubbins" of the guns are shared, and therefore you only get enough in the kit for one. Build a Wyvern and all you're left with is four tubes. :)

Lord Hurin
20-10-2014, 22:11
You can't build both a Wyvern and a Hydra gun platform from a single kit. Essentially, the only difference is that thew Hydra has extended gun barrels; the firing platform, gun shield, crew, controls and the "gubbins" of the guns are shared, and therefore you only get enough in the kit for one. Build a Wyvern and all you're left with is four tubes. :)

Damn. Well, there goes that idea.

Dr.Clock
20-10-2014, 23:11
I'd likely favour simply using it as a wyvern - the griffon was the original 'anti-infantry' shell-lobber - and it's on the same chassis, so most opponents shouldn't have a huge problem with it.

I get that the four small blasts don't seem to line up with its single barrel - but just tell people it fires 'cluster bombs' or something.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.