PDA

View Full Version : Arming minotaurs

MIGHT MAKES RIGHT
20-10-2014, 10:24
Now that people have shown minotaurs can look good on a previous thread what are peoples opinions on the best way to arm them or does it all depend on what your facing and what your using them for???

Ravening Wh0re
20-10-2014, 12:21
Personally I would go with great weapons and try to gain more attacks through the frenzy

theunwantedbeing
20-10-2014, 14:47
Now that people have shown minotaurs can look good on a previous thread what are peoples opinions on the best way to arm them or does it all depend on what your facing and what your using them for???

It depends on what equipment you think looks the coolest and then running that.

Hand weapons & Sheilds are best for protection (admittedly it's not a lot of protection but it's more than the others give)
Extra Hand weapons are best for maximum damage
Great weapons are for when you won't wound the enemy on a 2+ or the enemy has a 3+ or better armour save (like fighting knights or large monsters)

In Dark Trees
20-10-2014, 15:03
I like small units with great weapons. I never ignore an opportunity to boost the strength of a model and, once boosted to strength seven, Minotaurs become superb can openers. I often upgrade one model to a Bloodkine, and armor him with the Blackened Plate, which gives him a +2 ward against flaming attacks and grants the unit he's in a 4+ ward against flaming attacks. I use this unit to hunt down monsters.

Minotaurs are fun. You just need to be careful with them. Like most Beastmen units they are expensive, delicate, and quirky. They require a thoughtful approach, but can inflict a lot of punishment if used well.

Malagor
20-10-2014, 15:09
I tend to arm them with additional handweapons.
Minos are S5 which is a respectable punch so the more attacks the merrier.
And it will make them strike before units with great weapons which is nice as well.

Rudra34
21-10-2014, 03:08
Shields are a waste, as frenzied models can't parry. A 5+ armor save is not worth the points when you can go with additional hand weapons.

Great weapons make for a scary unit, but are very expensive. Extra hand weapon is usually the way to go.

mrtn
21-10-2014, 03:21
Shields are a waste, as frenzied models can't parry. A 5+ armor save is not worth the points when you can go with additional hand weapons.

They can have their uses, for example if you're playing against poison, like skinks.

We've had more than one thread on this topic on The Herdstone, and all four options (yes, including naked) have their proponents. Which should mean that it's no no-brainer question, and you're not obviously screwed if you pick the "wrong" option. :)

MIGHT MAKES RIGHT
21-10-2014, 07:18
So really all seem viable options the best way could be to arm them with a mix of each choice, I imagine as long as the front rank are all armed the same way you could swap your options between battles, I actually think some units look better with mix and match weapons

Scammel
21-10-2014, 18:55
By my reckoning they're all pretty bad. Shields have less value on a Frenzied unit, AHWs are wasted on additional ranks and great weapons are hellishly expensive on a fragile unit that is already overpriced. I went for shields because they look cool, but there's no 'best' option for all the wrong reasons.