PDA

View Full Version : Solar Auxilia

Menthak
22-10-2014, 18:24
So, now that they're out, what do you guys think of the Solar Auxilia?

fleshburner
22-10-2014, 18:37
I really like the look of them, remind me of deep sea divers. The lasguns look a little fragile though and am not to keen on the wind up back pack look, but overall the clunky look fits well, especially the helmets. 70 + p&p for 20 though is to rich for me, If I was going to go for a FW imperial guard army I'd still choose Death Korps just for the amount of variation and the fluff on them.

Beppo1234
22-10-2014, 21:02
I quite like them. They're exactly what I pictured Tech-guard from Titan Legions to look like. ~$100 for a squad of 10 is A LOT though

MagicHat
22-10-2014, 22:00
I quite like them. They're exactly what I pictured Tech-guard from Titan Legions to look like. ~$100 for a squad of 10 is A LOT though

The Lasrifle section is made up by 20 of them.

I like them, they will make excellent targets for my volkite.
Somewhat annoyed that they only released these when they obviously already have so many other kits ready.

Really looking forward to the rules, although I am somewhat worried about the 10 man flamer squads usefulness. Unless you have an open-topped transport, or some other special rule, it will be difficult to bring that squads firepower to bear. Especially when most of your opponents will be MEQ in all likelyhood. Not something you want to assault though.

melgorth
22-10-2014, 22:06

It's actually 20 models in the set, its not a bad deal really for Forgeworld infantry. I only wish that the Tech-Thralls were sold similarly, I would have bought two sets by now if they were.

Necrontyr
22-10-2014, 22:16
They're cheaper than Storm Troopers errr... Militarum Tempestus model for model. They look super rad too.

Menthak
23-10-2014, 04:54
Somewhat annoyed that they only released these when they obviously already have so many other kits ready.

This did cross my mind, I've no idea why they're doing that.

Really looking forward to the rules, although I am somewhat worried about the 10 man flamer squads usefulness. Unless you have an open-topped transport, or some other special rule, it will be difficult to bring that squads firepower to bear. Especially when most of your opponents will be MEQ in all likelyhood. Not something you want to assault though.

Maybe it's just so you have a few guys left by the time you get there.

I dunno, I want to like the S.A but I don't know why I can't get around it, they look a bit too bulky to me, or at least the helmets do. I am a fan of the smaller lasrifles though, making them look more like rifles than boxes.

Smooth Boy
23-10-2014, 16:20
I think they look awesome, they look like the Norts from Rogue Trooper. Although I wish they could have got them down to about 60 for 20. However I may still pick 2 sets up and use them as veterans for an Imperial Guard mechanised list. Having the guns moulded onto the hands will hopefully allow them to release lots of weapon options also.

Azazyll
24-10-2014, 01:22
Love the retro ray gun era look, vaguely steampunk byt not too much. I'm going to wait for the book before buying though

Baaltor
24-10-2014, 11:14
I'm outraged that FW didn't take such an inventive and interesting approach to the Legiones Astartes. I would've died from joy if they came out looking like the biomechanical CSM in some of the Rogue Trader era models, or something equally as creative. FW does this sort of thing a lot too, so I'm not sure if they just wanted to go with this vision for the marines, or if it's because they were straitjacketed into it for the sake of sales.

Beppo1234
24-10-2014, 15:13
The Lasrifle section is made up by 20 of them.

I like them, they will make excellent targets for my volkite.

MH, do the math + hobby product. Maybe not $100 a squad, but definitely getting into the $80 -$90 range for a 10 man squad of guard. Yes, I accounted for the 20 minis in a set.

I do love them, they are awesome, but I'd need a third kidney to sell to get these beautiful sculpts... I really wish these had been Scions

mr. peasant
25-10-2014, 11:42
MH, do the math + hobby product. Maybe not $100 a squad, but definitely getting into the $80 -$90 range for a 10 man squad of guard. Yes, I accounted for the 20 minis in a set.

I do love them, they are awesome, but I'd need a third kidney to sell to get these beautiful sculpts... I really wish these had been Scions

On the other hand, nothing's really stopping you from buying them and counting them as Scions.:D

Beppo1234
25-10-2014, 13:13
On the other hand, nothing's really stopping you from buying them and counting them as Scions.:D

'cept the price... I'm not complaining, just saying I want them, but to get enough of them to make a worthy guard army, gonna be pricey. And I'm not one to shy away from a pricey army

agurus1
25-10-2014, 18:38
It will interesting to see how the rules work, eg how many points a squad is, can you include them straight into a legion army or do you have to build them as an "allied" section? Basically I won't be buying them if they are 5pts each and I need 60 to be able to field a force of them.

That said they are amazing looking models and I like their new transport option too

AndrewGPaul
25-10-2014, 19:39
I'm pretty certain they won't be a horde army. These guys are the "best of the rest"; as good as the armies of Humanity get without power armour and a dozen new organs. :)

Lex Fabian
25-10-2014, 21:36
I'm personally not too fond of them. They're aesthetically not militaristic enough and they're tad stiff and clumsy in my opinon, especially the helmets. the stormtrooper squad seem to have somewhat migitated this though.

Beppo1234
26-10-2014, 21:37
I'm pretty certain they won't be a horde army. These guys are the "best of the rest"; as good as the armies of Humanity get without power armour and a dozen new organs. :)

right, but there isn't a lot of range between the 3 and 4 when working in integers, to differentiate marines from Auxila from Scions from guard. They pretty much gotta be marines in lighter armour, or guard in heavier armour.

Still Standing
28-10-2014, 10:31
I'm outraged that FW didn't take such an inventive and interesting approach to the Legiones Astartes. I would've died from joy if they came out looking like the biomechanical CSM in some of the Rogue Trader era models, or something equally as creative. FW does this sort of thing a lot too, so I'm not sure if they just wanted to go with this vision for the marines, or if it's because they were straitjacketed into it for the sake of sales.

Ouraged? Sure you are. Did you mean mildly annoyed?

right, but there isn't a lot of range between the 3 and 4 when working in integers, to differentiate marines from Auxila from Scions from guard. They pretty much gotta be marines in lighter armour, or guard in heavier armour.

FW have done the Heresy justice so far. Have a little faith that they'll pull this off.

agurus1
28-10-2014, 20:39

You do understand that the Legiones look the way that FW is making them look because... They aren't chaos yet? So why would they have a biomechanical look? And they are throwing in some nods to rogue trader like with the new Mechanicum MC that will be dropping soon looking like an old imperial robot and stuff. But honestly I wouldn't want my Legionnaire looking like the models they released back in the day. Much more realistic approach FW is doing and I like that.

Beppo1234
29-10-2014, 13:43
You do understand that the Legiones look the way that FW is making them look because... They aren't chaos yet? So why would they have a biomechanical look? And they are throwing in some nods to rogue trader like with the new Mechanicum MC that will be dropping soon looking like an old imperial robot and stuff. But honestly I wouldn't want my Legionnaire looking like the models they released back in the day. Much more realistic approach FW is doing and I like that.

I think this is a matter of patient approach, rather than stylistic choice. The current heresy miniatures are recently turned. By the time the HH series gets to Terra, the warped nature of Heretic Legions will start to show. I think it'll be an evolution. We've already started to see the mutations starting with some kits.

AndrewGPaul
29-10-2014, 14:10

.. or equipped with lasrifles instead of lasguns and void-hardened armour, entire squads equipped with volkite weaponry, using unique armoured vehicles, etc. :) Without having seen the army lists, I would expect the Solar Auxilia army list to be much more offensive than a more defensively-minded Imperial Army force.

agurus1
29-10-2014, 23:15
yeah if the Solar Auxilia had more like laslock type weaponry than lasrifles that would be cool

mr. peasant
30-10-2014, 01:11
I wouldn't be completely surprised if the Lasrifle Section troops have the option to change their Lasguns with Las-locks.

SirBlackmane
30-10-2014, 05:08
yeah if the Solar Auxilia had more like laslock type weaponry than lasrifles that would be cool

I wouldn't be completely surprised if the Lasrifle Section troops have the option to change their Lasguns with Las-locks.

Agreed to both. And considering the main drawback to Las-locks is that the only troops that can currently use them are BS2, they might be devastating. Particularly is you still have the option to turbo-charge them.

agurus1
30-10-2014, 05:49
20 BS4 turbo charged las locks sounds tasty, just as long as we have the option to give the damn sergeant a rifle too!

AndrewGPaul
30-10-2014, 09:31

You're missing something; the "lasrifle" section aren't armed with lasguns. They're armed, as the name suggests, with lasrifles. We don't, IIRC, have the rules for them yet, but they were described at Warhammer Fest as being somewhat better than lasguns.

MagicHat
30-10-2014, 10:00
You're missing something; the "lasrifle" section aren't armed with lasguns. They're armed, as the name suggests, with lasrifles. We don't, IIRC, have the rules for them yet, but they were described at Warhammer Fest as being somewhat better than lasguns.

I think I read 30" range somewhere.

Still Standing
30-10-2014, 10:07
I think we're missing the point somewhat. The infantry aren't the killy part of the Solar Auxillia list. The squadrons of Super Heavies, the masses of other Heavy Armour are what's going to kill Marines, these guys just have to survive long enough to capture objectives.

SirBlackmane
30-10-2014, 21:34
I think we're missing the point somewhat. The infantry aren't the killy part of the Solar Auxillia list. The squadrons of Super Heavies, the masses of other Heavy Armour are what's going to kill Marines, these guys just have to survive long enough to capture objectives.

I get what you're saying, but most of us started our legion lists with stacks of cool-looking infantry, which we then slowly and progressively found ways of phasing out for even-cooler-looking vehicles.

Still Standing
31-10-2014, 00:03
My Legion army started as 100 Marines in Power Armour. Then I added 2 Contemptors... Then 2 Scicarans... Then 2 Javelins... However, Imperial Army, at this time, are not about the infantry, it's about the tanks. All the fluff backs this up.

agurus1
21-11-2014, 03:49
So just wanted to rehash this but the rumor of 3 "settings" for the rifle-sections Lasguns is a cool way of differentiating them from their 40k counterparts.

Still Standing
21-11-2014, 07:20
It's not a rumour. As standard it can fire at 30" Str 3 Ap- Rapid Fire or 36" Str 3 Ap- Heavy 2. You can pay for an upgrade to 18" Str 6 Ap6 with a chance to melt the gun.

lordbeefy
21-11-2014, 10:18
They are tbe first ig/solar auxilia unit we have seen. I suspect we will see stormtrooper style heavy infantry units with las lock type weapons in due course.

Anyone else think that with their helmets on they look very much like flashgordon style soldiers from the old black and white serials?

AndrewGPaul
21-11-2014, 11:31
There might be units in heavier armour (I'm sure there was one shown at Warhammer Fest), but they won't be Stormtrooper analogues. The Solar Auxilia as a whole can be considered to be fulfilling such a role for the greater Imperial Army garrison forces.

Mandragola
21-11-2014, 16:44
I think the infantry are fine really. I don't love or hate them.

I don't like the three vehicles I've seen so far much though. The sort of pinched nose where the driver sits really doesn't work for me. I'm not a big fan of the edge detail everywhere either. Asymmetry can be cool, but in this case again I don't think it's that well executed.

I prefer the transport to the basilisk/medusa, but not by much. The sides of that are good where the ramps are, but I really don't like the front.

Still Standing
21-11-2014, 20:19
There might be units in heavier armour (I'm sure there was one shown at Warhammer Fest), but they won't be Stormtrooper analogues. The Solar Auxilia as a whole can be considered to be fulfilling such a role for the greater Imperial Army garrison forces.

There are. They are called the Legiones Astartes.