PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Beastmen battalion. Help needed please.

nathan2004
24-10-2014, 01:50
Hi everyone, I currently play Warriors and Daemons and given that ET:Glotkin is getting released very soon and will allow us to play a combined army list like in the old Hordes of Chaos army book, I'm strongly considering starting a beastmen army. In doing so I plan on buying 2 beastmen battalion boxes but I don't really feel like i'd get much use out of the Ungors and i'm wondering for those of you who've bought this box, if you could just convert the Ungors into Bestigors (which i want a block of 40 of) if i pick up a couple of extra bits off a bit site? Or would it be best to mix and match my extra WoC and DoC bits i have from numerous other kits? Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Black Hoof
24-10-2014, 02:29
I'd suggest just buying another box of bestigors and then making a unit filler. Bestis are the biggest of the gors and ungors are the smallest and scrawniest so it'd be quite a challenge to convert them up without there being a huge weird juxtaposition of the converted ones and the actual bestigor minis. Myself, I like ungors anyway. Minimum sized units of ungor raiders are a Beastmen staple and worth considering, though I'm not sure if WoC or DoC offers better chaff options since I don't have experience with those armies.

Another option is that ungors make pretty good conversion fodder for harpies.

Alltaken
24-10-2014, 12:41
Use ungors as fillers, you can try to make them look like chained slaves, sort of like they're dragging them for cannon fodder

Dr.Zahnfleisch
24-10-2014, 12:57
I've bought some Ungors a while back and I have to say that converting them into Bestigors might prove to be an impossible task. They are noticably smaller and thinner and come without an option for two handed weapons.

However, they are excellent models, in my opinion, and they definitely have their uses on the battlefield, both as skirmishing archers and ranked troops.

If you plan on building a combined force, you might as well use a big, cheap unit of Ungors with hw&s as a core.

mrtn
24-10-2014, 17:26
I don't see you converting ungors into bestigors successfully, as the others have said. HW&S or skirmishers is a common use of ungors. For more beastmen information you can check out the Herdstone forum, see the link in my signature.

nathan2004
24-10-2014, 23:42
Cheers everyone I really do appreciate y'alls (yes I'm from Texas lol) insight regarding this! I've decided I'm either gonna use them as unit fillers or convert them into harpies like Black Hoof suggested since I could use them in my Dark Elf army too. I'm also gonna check out the Herdstone forum for more info on Beastmen tactics, tips, etc. Thanks again everyone :)

Brother Haephestus
25-10-2014, 05:11
I'd suggest just buying another box of bestigors and then making a unit filler. Bestis are the biggest of the gors and ungors are the smallest and scrawniest so it'd be quite a challenge to convert them up without there being a huge weird juxtaposition of the converted ones and the actual bestigor minis. Myself, I like ungors anyway. Minimum sized units of ungor raiders are a Beastmen staple and worth considering, though I'm not sure if WoC or DoC offers better chaff options since I don't have experience with those armies.

Another option is that ungors make pretty good conversion fodder for harpies.

DoC doesn't really do chaff. Units are a bit pricey, but more 'premium', so you don't have cheap redirectors like war hounds or Ungors. At least up until now. I could seriously see a force using DoC core as chaff and backed up with the new releases. I love the new Nurgle stuff, but am hoping we get a Khorne-focused release!