PDA

View Full Version : DE 1250 all cav

Shakkara
25-10-2014, 21:31
Currently have this in mind against Orcs and Goblins... Basically 2 units of Cold Ones, 3 units of dark riders, 2 units of warlocks. But it is very tight on points, so no points left for any gear on the characters...

Dreadlord
Halberd
Heavy Armor
Sea Dragon Cloak
Cold One

Master
Great Weapon
Heavy Armor
Sea Dragon Cloak
Cold One
BSB with Banner of Swiftness

5x Dark Riders
Shields, RxB
Musician

5x Dark Riders
Shields, RxB
Musician

5x Dark Riders
Shields, RxB

6x Cold One Knights

6x Cold One Knights

5x Warlocks

5x Warlocks

Dark Elf
25-10-2014, 22:47
Interesting build I must say. What is your plan? Clearly you have nothing to take on orcs and goblins head on, are you going to try to wear him down with magic and shooting and then pick off and engage him? For your sake I hope he doesn't bring out any machines, because you're dead in that case. Especialy doom diver. My advice would be to replace the dreadlord with master.

Shakkara
26-10-2014, 08:22
That's kinda the plan, lead them by the nose with doubleflees from the dark riders and try to wear them down. He often gets fanatics (lots of them) which I can lure out and put in the way of his own troops. If he does get machines, then try to get those dark riders there as soon as possible. The reason I have the dreadlord is for his ld10 to deal with the stupidity checks of the cold ones.

What would be units that dark elves have that could take orcs and goblins head on? I was also experimenting with a 29 witch horde with hag, but found that way too risky. Because this guy is known to bring like 100 goblin archers to the field.

Dark Elf
26-10-2014, 08:40
Well as for core units that could go head on I highly reccomend corsairs. If you put a sorceress with them they do wonders. Last week I had a horde of them+sorceress with power of darkness. They killed 6/8 ogres in first round of combat. But even without a sorceress they do good.
Would you mind reporting back how the game went through?

Shakkara
26-10-2014, 08:51
Well I don't know, as I haven't decided on army list yet. It's originally a 1000 point battle, but he wants to play at higher point value so 1250 or 1500 would be OK too. I have everything from high elves or dark elves that I could use.

He's known to play endless hordes of goblins and has lots of squigs and squig riders. He also has quite a few very large models (giants or something?) and is known to have loads of netters and fanatics (he played with 9 fanatics once). I think he has some artillery but not sure what it is, exactly. So I need something that can swiftly deal with units of 60-200! goblins archers + netters + fanatics or has a good way to avoid them forever.

What he has also done before is make 2 minimal units, and then giant huge deathstar block full of characters and stuff that is over half points value. So you have to kill it or play for the draw.

Dark Elf
26-10-2014, 10:32
Whatever happens you're in for a rough match. Orcs excel in low points matches. You said you're keeping the dreadlord because his ld. Have you tried master+standard of discipline combo?

EDIT: Here's my take on your army.

Master
Crown of command
Halberd
Heavy Armor
Sea dragon cloak
Cold one

Master
Halberd
Heavy Armor
Sea dragon cloak
Cold one
BSB with banner of swiftness

5x Dark riders
shield, RxB
musician

5x Dark riders
shield, RxB
musician

5x Dark riders
shield, RxB
musician

6x Cold one Knights
Standard with standard of discipline (+1 LD)

6x Cold one Knights
Standard

5x Doomfire warlocks

5x Doomfire warlocks

Put your general in the unit of Cold Ones with Standard of Discipline, and he will have LD 10 to "give" to other units if needed. He and his unit are also stubborn now, which I guess you might need in your match.
You also have exactly 6 skaven slaves left in my build. Don't spend them in one place (jk)

Shakkara
26-10-2014, 11:34
Maybe all cav just isn't going to work...

With the 50% lords, maybe just get a L4 instead?

Or go high elves and spam 2 phoenixes, not sure... I was considering a high elf all cav list with silver helms and units of 3 tiranoc chariots. But they just die too fast to anything, I fear, even in a congo so they have minimal return attacks.

Shakkara
26-10-2014, 15:41
How about this more conventional list then?

L4 Sorc
Pegasus, Talisman of preservation

Tullaris
-> blackguard

20x Black Arc Corsairs
Extra Hand Weapons

5x Dark Riders
Shields, RxB

17x Black Guard
Standard

Reaper Bolt Thrower

5x Warlocks

Dark Elf
26-10-2014, 16:05
Now that might work. I like it a wee bit more. Which lore would you use? Dark?

Shakkara
26-10-2014, 19:30
Now that might work. I like it a wee bit more. Which lore would you use? Dark?

Not sure about the lore. Maybe dark yes, although that doesn't feel destructive enough. I also fear that the sorc just gets shot to death by a zillion goblin archers or whatever warmachines he brings. The list doesn't feel resilient at all, unlike the 2+ T4 cold one horde...

Maybe I should just go high elves instead. At least phoenix guard got a 4+ ward save that helps against fanatics. I could also just go with 3 hydras and a kharibdiss instead? Meh, I really don't know. I just need something that can deal with 200 goblin archers, 9 fanatics and an army of squigs.

Frankly
26-10-2014, 21:59
actually msu DE all cavalry is really strong in small point games.

Lvl 4 + bsb

Msu DRs

W.locks

Thats hard to catch in small games.

Shakkara
27-10-2014, 00:35
If I were to scale it down to 1000 pts and stick with the all cav thing, how about this...

Master
Dark Pegasus
Cloak of Twilight
Lance, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Hv Armor

Master
Cold One
BSB with Swiftness
Halberd, Sea Dragon Cloak, Hv Armor

5x Dark Riders
RxB, Shields, Musician, Champion

6x Dark Riders
RxB, Shields, Muscian

9x Cold One Knights
Standard Bearer with Standard of Discipline

5x Doomfire Warlocks

Shakkara
29-10-2014, 20:54
Or this for 1000 points... Taking all mounted to a new level...

Master
Manticore
Halberd, Hv Armor, Cloak

Master
Manticore
Halberd, Hv Armor, Cloak

6x Dark Riders
RxB, Shields, Musician

5x Dark Riders
RxB, Shields, Musician, Herald

War Hydra

5x Warlocks

Shakkara
02-11-2014, 17:49
I've settled on this for now... 1000 pts. Painting it up like crazy.
I'm just totally at a loss what could ever kill things like 200 goblin archers or 40+ orcs with extra hand weapons, as my units will always be too small to deal with the inevitable return attacks. So I'm just going to avoid his army, as I don't think there is anything I could bring that could compete in melee point for point. Doombolt and bladewind, and hope to eventually force a flee with the terror test from the manticore.

Sorceress
L4, Dark Magic
Pegasus
Amulet of Preservation

Master
Manticore
Cloak of Twilight
Sea Dragon Cloak, Heavy Armor, Lance, Shield

6x Dark Riders
Musician, RxB, Shields

5x Dark Riders
Musician, Herald, RxB, Shields