PDA

View Full Version : Malorian

SuperHappyTime
26-10-2014, 22:39
Didn't see a thread here.

MrMalorian is leaving Fantasy behind for Warmahordes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66E8ljbsqQE

Sad to see a good battle reporter completely giving up the game, but I understand his feels. Just really glad he isn't giving up wargaming altogether.

AmaroK
26-10-2014, 23:09
Didn't see a thread here.

MrMalorian is leaving Fantasy behind for Warmahordes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66E8ljbsqQE

Sad to see a good battle reporter completely giving up the game, but I understand his feels. Just really glad he isn't giving up wargaming altogether.

Sad indeed. But saying that 8th is all about hordes is not true. Thatīs what Malorian made it by playing that way. Its perfectly posible playing not using hordes and deathstars and still have fun and even win. Besides, praising 7th about the tactics, which was all about having the most units with the higher movement, armour sabe and hard hitting models is not the pinacle of tactical thinking. But if fun is gone, its gone and nothing can be done with it. Thanks for all the good reports and videos, Malorian. Have fun with it, its all what matters in the end.

Lucifig
26-10-2014, 23:20
I like what he's done for the community, so best of luck to him. I've heard this speech a lot though. They always come back.

Always.

Kahadras
26-10-2014, 23:46
They always come back.

Maybe. Anthony from The Sustainable Center wasn't very optimistic that he would return to Warhammer. I think Malorian himself used to play 40K before he got into Warhammer and he didn't go back to 40K. I liked listening to his channel though but as he said himself there are plenty of other people out there with their own channels.

Ludaman
27-10-2014, 00:21
Aww I liked Malorian, but I understand. I 100% play Warhammer for the miniatures and the lore. Some people play for the gameplay... In which case Warmahordes has been hailed as a much more fast-paced fun game. (Although I have no idea, never played it beyond a demo at comic-con a few years back). What I do know though is that the miniatures are not to my taste at all... Not in the slightest. And the magic-mech-suit thing isn't to my taste when it comes to fantasy backstory either.

thesoundofmusica
27-10-2014, 00:31
Aww too bad. Was fun while it lasted. Unsub, move on.

Acephale
27-10-2014, 02:34
That's a shame, I always enjoyed his videos.

However, it's not really surprising, either. Warmahordes is the obvious choice for someone who's really into the competitive, strategic side of wargaming, while Fantasy is a fluffy and pretty unbalanced game with an awesome IP. Personally I don't like the WMH models and I've never understood the ultra-competitive mindset when it comes to miniature wargaming, but to each his own.

Also, it's probably rather taxing to play both WMH and WHF on a competitive level, especially if you're trying to produce Youtube content around it, so I don't blame him for focusing 100% on the thing he enjoys the most.

Sexiest_hero
27-10-2014, 07:58
I liked his battle reports and thought he too too much flak for his High elf dragon army. That said I don't think Wm is competitive in the least. I didn't think 7th edition was tactful either. I feel that both systems are find the combo and run with it. Good luck to him though.

Avian
27-10-2014, 08:00
Do not mourn him, for he has gone to a Better Place™. ;)

Personally I don't like the WMH models and I've never understood the ultra-competitive mindset when it comes to miniature wargaming, but to each his own.
My gaming group has never been especially competitive, neither when we played Warhammer or now with WarmaHordes.

Acephale
27-10-2014, 08:58
I liked his battle reports and thought he too too much flak for his High elf dragon army. That said I don't think Wm is competitive in the least. I didn't think 7th edition was tactful either. I feel that both systems are find the combo and run with it. Good luck to him though.

Do not mourn him, for he has gone to a Better Place™. ;)

My gaming group has never been especially competitive, neither when we played Warhammer or now with WarmaHordes.

Ok but if you're after a more balanced system that allows for ultra-competitive play, Warmachine is better tailored for that, no?

Never played it myself but that's what i keep hearing from people at my FLGS (where everyone plays WMH). Also, PP actively supports the tournament scene and focus a lot on rule development, while GW pretends that their target audience only consists of collectors who drink beer and eat pretzels around their collections while reciting fluff to each other.

So if you want to play on a high level of competitiveness and care less about models and background and so on, WMH seems to be a better choice than Warhammer Fantasy.

TheOldblood
27-10-2014, 09:04
I think a lot of his complaints were surmountable and self-made: eg, the style of play he liked from 7th was perfectly feasible with a variety of different armies. He just chose to play a horde-heavy style. Moreover I think his local gaming group were not very competitive and were unable to challenge him on the level he required (his approach would not have been successful in the UK).

Nevertheless, sad to see him move on and I hope he does return. Thanks for all the content over the years.

Greyshadow
27-10-2014, 09:40
Yeah, people decide to try to get into new things. Sounds like he is doing what he enjoys - good luck to him. I love 8th Edition though, really like the direction the game took and hope 9th ends up being a streamlined version of 8th. Certainly hopes it doesn't regress back to 7th (even though I loved 7th too).

StygianBeach
27-10-2014, 09:44
Sad to see Malorian leave Warhammer, but since OnceBitten announced he was scaling back his Warhammer it was no surprise.

Malorian seems like he wants a level of intensity that Warhamer in his area was not supplying.

If there is one impression I get from Warmahordes players, it is that they bring the intensity.

I am currently collecting Skorne for Hordes because I like many of the models and the fluff reminds me of other stuff I like.
After reading the rules and watching battle reports it is not what I want to play, it has far too many fiddly bits that go beyond Flaming Attacks negating Regeneration.

It feels more like a CCG than a Wargame, and I think I would enjoy Warmahordes as a CCG.
That is why I have my eye on High Command, and as soon as they release Faction only Starter decks then I am buying some (if I can convince my brother to adopt a faction that is).

So I will continue to expand my Skorne army, and maybe pick up some Cryx or Everblight Ogryns at a later date, but unless I make a new best friend who only wants to play Warmahordes, it is unlikely I will ever actually play a game.

MOMUS
27-10-2014, 10:10
I think this sounds like a simple case of burn out. Warhammer provides many aspects for a hobbyist to indulge or compete in, I think Malorian sealed his fate when he solely (some would say relentlessly) focused on bat reps and tactics. That combined with his limited meta and playstyle meant this was almost inevitable.

Avian
27-10-2014, 10:48
So if you want to play on a high level of competitiveness and care less about models and background and so on, WMH seems to be a better choice than Warhammer Fantasy.
Well, I would agree with the first of these, but the last two depends on taste. Certainly the WMH background has been telling a constantly evolving story for more than a decade now, whereas the Warhammer background has had more effort put into historical events, but has also had more things randomly changed or erased from history. The current storyline, for example, only really got moving a couple of months ago, and seems to be partly motivated by wanting to kill off most of the non-plastic SCs.

TheOldblood
27-10-2014, 11:02
Well, I would agree with the first of these, but the last two depends on taste. Certainly the WMH background has been telling a constantly evolving story for more than a decade now, whereas the Warhammer background has had more effort put into historical events, but has also had more things randomly changed or erased from history. The current storyline, for example, only really got moving a couple of months ago, and seems to be partly motivated by wanting to kill off most of the non-plastic SCs.

Isn't it irrelevant what the motives are, so long as the quality is good?

Surely, PP's advancing of the WM/H storyline is an attempt to sell new iterations of the same miniature? Does everything have to be so cynical?

Avian
27-10-2014, 12:08
Isn't it irrelevant what the motives are, so long as the quality is good?
IS the quality good?

Surely, PP's advancing of the WM/H storyline is an attempt to sell new iterations of the same miniature?
I wouldn't put it like that. All miniature companies want to produce and sell new characer models periodically. What's special about WM/H is that instead of always introducing new characters, they make new versions of existing ones. And that wouldn't make a lot of sense without an evolving storyline. Similarly, an evolving storyline with a constant influx of new characters doesn't make a lot of sense either (compare how the Glottkin suddenly appeared out of nowhere).

If you ask me, killing off characters based on which material the models are made from shows a lack of love for the setting.

Nubl0
27-10-2014, 12:21
I had the reverse experience, I used to play a lot of warmahordes but got bored of every game being super similar. A little jostling for positioning in the early game then a huge alpha strike that either leaves little room for comeback or flubs and you get blown out in return. For all its vaunted balance its really no different than any other game though, yes it's got tight rules but some stuff will always be the best. I can tell you it gets rather boring going to an event and constantly seeing eHaley and double stormwall.

That said I'm still picking up some of those new bug warbeasts for my skorne when they come out, and fleshing out my gators too!

Orien
27-10-2014, 12:40
Interesting to note that Malorians youtube subscribers continue to plummet. I think at one stage he hit 6000+ subscribers, he is now down to 5000 approx. Id expect that to drop even further as more people switch on to the fact that he has switched to such a dull alternative gaming system. (In my opinion)

When he announced he was leaving, I decided to check Warmachine out in one of his reports to see what the fuss was about, to be frank... I was bored within 10 minutes. I always got irritated when I saw that he was putting Warmachine reports up as I think his unique style of battle reports for Warhammer was quite entertaining and I especially enjoyed the tactical team and paintisode videos.

Looks like people are voting with their feet and I am not alone in my opinion. But best of luck to him, he should do what makes him happy.

AmaroK
27-10-2014, 12:49
I had the reverse experience, I used to play a lot of warmahordes but got bored of every game being super similar. A little jostling for positioning in the early game then a huge alpha strike that either leaves little room for comeback or flubs and you get blown out in return. For all its vaunted balance its really no different than any other game though, yes it's got tight rules but some stuff will always be the best. I can tell you it gets rather boring going to an event and constantly seeing eHaley and double stormwall.

That said I'm still picking up some of those new bug warbeasts for my skorne when they come out, and fleshing out my gators too!

Well, is it Magic the gathering balanced? over thousands and thousands of cards, only few hundreds are used for competitive play. And when decks are formed, its all about the meta. Is rock, scissor and paper balanced? as a whole it is, in the matchups it is not. Warmahordes is not different in this regard as far I know, nor is Warhammer.

Warhammer gives a freedom that almost no other game give in the list construction, backed up with some fluff. This freedom can be used to be fluffy or max/min, you decide. Malorian tried to do both, but he was clearly in the max/min listing type, "8th is all about hordes", "bigger is better in this edition" and so on. As some people noted here, 8th allows other types of playing, and this is becoming more and more true as far as the edition is ending (first it was about infantery, then monstruous cavalry, then it was turning about msu (dark and Wood elves) and finally it seems monsters and heroes are taking the lead).

I can understand why Malorian is leaving fantasy. In some games, nobody is going to call you "cheesemonger" or give flak to you because you bring the hardest and most competitive list, more the other way around. In Warhammer fantasy/40k, there is a self-contain component (surely because of the fluff) that can make competitive playing frustrating from time to time. If his meta wasnīt too challenging on this regard, it was going to happen sooner or later.

Will he come back to fantasy in the future? the similar cases I know in my gaming area showed me it is more about the meta and the people playing there than the game itself. Here it happened the same but its about Infinity here. Still, some have occasional comebacks to fantasy or 40k, so nothing is written in stone :P

N00B
27-10-2014, 17:57
I think the frustration with supercompetative builds is just because the games take so long. If you go to play a game and it takes all afternoon and it doesnt seem fun because someone unanounced brought the filth then it I can see that putting people off. If the games were just 20 min then you can shrug, admire their skill in list building and move onto the next player.

Hicks
27-10-2014, 18:04
I say good for him. I am making a small come back to Fantasy, but it's because I already have the minis and some friends insisted I give the game another chance. I can't see myself accepting a game of Fantasy if I have the option to play Warmahordes though, it's just that good.

zippy77
27-10-2014, 19:12
I say good for him. I am making a small come back to Fantasy, but it's because I already have the minis and some friends insisted I give the game another chance. I can't see myself accepting a game of Fantasy if I have the option to play Warmahordes though, it's just that good.

So having played warmachine/hordes for many years I have become fairly bored of the setting and gameplay. I have recently come back to warhammer having sold off all my warmahordes stuff.

Tupinamba
27-10-2014, 19:33
Itīs unfortunate, as I quite liked his BR style. Fast yet comprehensive and with interesting tactical thinking. As I couldnīt care less about warmahordes, Iīve unsubscribed (not as any kind of statement. just am not interested in this system).

The only thing I find a little odd is his point about gameplay. I prefered 7th ed. myself, but I couldnīt imagine a more different game to 7th ed. WHFB than Warmahordes. Itīs skirmish, combo based and with resources management. As others have said, itīs still possible to play good, manouvre and combined arms based wargaming in 8th. And Iīd say itīs still easier to do that within the 8th ed. than with Warmahordes. Iīd guess his point is more about competitive gaming, balance and support for competitive gaming than about actual gameplay.

Juicy21
27-10-2014, 21:48
Sad to see him go! Always loved his channel. The new warma hordes just doenst do it for me. I kinda love the background with warhammer and the story telling/fluff parts. Hope he isnt gone for good!
Loved him at brawlerbash!

Urgat
27-10-2014, 21:58
If you ask me, killing off characters based on which material the models are made from shows a lack of love for the setting.

You mean like Krell and Volkmar? :p

Doommasters
27-10-2014, 22:26
9th Edition really does need to build on the great work 8th has done but at the same time tidy up some of the rules and make sure we do not end up with only Horde and Hero hammer.

DeathGlam
27-10-2014, 22:49
Good for him, everyone should play the games they love, better to move on and enjoy your time then worry about a game you no longer feel brings you what you want.

That is what i did for some previous editions of Fantasy(and 40k), forgot about them did something i loved instead but then changes happen & it may drag you back in as has happened with me for the recent rulesets for both games.

Mudkip
28-10-2014, 01:11

I can think of a number of plastic models that have been 'killed' in WHFB, some of them very recently released. Almost every GW character is in finecast and plastics are a small minority of special characters anyway, so I think you are just being cynical.

Nubl0
28-10-2014, 03:07
No idea where people are getting that characters are being killed off if they are finecast??? Take for example the Glottkin, brand new huge PLASTIC special character... Dead

BorkBork
28-10-2014, 11:05
Pushing hordes is boring as hell! so yeah, no surprise he got fed up, as he is like the godfather of horde spam. I never was a big fan of his tactics, but after the video he made about "why wood elves will always win" and he was proposing to fill the board edge to edge with hordes i totally gave up on him (well not really him, but his tactics).

Kahadras
28-10-2014, 11:20
Pushing hordes is boring as hell! so yeah, no surprise he got fed up, as he is like the godfather of horde spam. I never was a big fan of his tactics, but after the video he made about "why wood elves will always win" and he was proposing to fill the board edge to edge with hordes i totally gave up on him (well not really him, but his tactics).

I don't think that's really fair. He did push the use of Troll hordes etc in his O&G army when he was playing competitive games but he's also run stuff like Super Orc or an army that his daughter made for him.

BorkBork
28-10-2014, 11:49
Perhaps not, I haven't seen all his vids. But he is the biggest advocate of the horde that i know off, and I haven't seen that many tactics that do not revolve around a horde or two.
And that while a lot of other orc players are slowly moving away from the horde style armies.

Col. Tartleton
28-10-2014, 11:53
Maybe he'll be reinvigorated when ninth comes out.

Little Joe
28-10-2014, 12:20
I liked his battle reports and tactical monologues, so thank you for supplying those Mr. Malorian.

But he is right and change is not a bad thing. Foremost it should be fun to you and about what you want. So in that spirit we should look in the direction of the sun on the third day to see something smelly and green creep over the ridge (or be blinded by the sun).

He needs to paint a lot less as well ;).

Happy gaming Mr. Malorian!!

someone2040
28-10-2014, 12:48
Fair enough to him. He's allowed to do what he wants, and I think, for him, his reasoning is sound. Warhammer was getting in the way of him being a competitive Warmahordes player, and he is aiming for the Canadian team. If he really feels that way, well, fair enough to him. He's striving for a goal, and not letting warhammer hold him back.
It does feel like he is burnt out of the game though rather than it just being 'to be competitive' at warmachine. I mean, you don't just up and sell all your armies just because you want to focus on a different game. That just feels unnecessary.

Don't know if I'll unsub yet though. I do enjoy the paintisodes as something to put on while I'm doing my own painting. I'll have to wait and see if the content now being primarily focussed on warmachine ends up not being interesting since I have zero interest in the game. Have to wait and see.

HelloKitty
28-10-2014, 13:52
We all have to do what makes us happy. I've quit before. Sometimes you have to. Sometimes you get burnt out.

Alltaken
28-10-2014, 14:14
I didnt enjoy his channel personally , I dont clic with the guy, but thats my personal opinion.

His channel however is filled with lots of content, good while we're at it. Prolific is a good thing for a channel, one of the reasons I lord tremendous even if he's not the best general.
He is a good humored man who mostly throws good vibes in his videos and motivates a great part of the community which is also great.
However his tactics is lacking a whole lot, I read him here and through the few videos I watched he's not a reference for me regarding tactics and game play so some of the motives he states for dropping could simply be lack of trying other ways to play the game.
I hope he finds what he's looking for in warmachine, which I find to be a fantastical game and very fun, though highly different from wfb.

I think most Fantasy players come back eventually, I think he will.