PDA

View Full Version : Help a Ogre Noob

jaws900
27-10-2014, 05:05
I just got my first Ogre units the other day and was hoping to start learning with them. The problem is that i don't know all that much about Fantasy and all though i do own some Tomb Kings as well i haven't played in years (Since when the Komb King Rule book came out). I got my self a start with the following army;

1 Slaughtermaster/Butcher
8 Ironguts (Banner & Bellower)
4 Bulls (Banner & Bellower)
4 Leadbelchers

However i know listtle of how best to play them. From what i know of Ogres is that the Greedy Fist is a good upgrade for by Slaughtermaster/Butcher, Ironguts are great and that the Leadbelchers should be in 2 units of 2. I wondering on help from other Ogre and ogre familuar players for help on where to take this army and any tips for a new player

Ben81
27-10-2014, 07:38
Hi there, I don't have an ogre army, but having played against them I'd definately recommend mournfang! They are devastating on the charge! You'd probably also want to consider an iron blaster for dealing with monsters/daemon princes etc and a couple of sabre tusks for chaff. With what you have that would be a decent army. I personally love the stone horn model and fluff behind it.....though I don't know the rules for it?

Ben81
27-10-2014, 07:39
Ps - I'd also convert the four bulls into ironguts!

jaws900
27-10-2014, 09:01
I will be getting 2 Sabertusks (using them as 2 1 man units), an Iron Cannon and another unit of Ironguts. The Stonehorn is also a possiblity as i too love the model

PaulGreatrix
27-10-2014, 09:32
Im not an Ogre player, but ive faced them probably more than any other army. They are really brutal. I recommend rocking 2 Iron Blasters, and a unit of 4 Mournfang. These two undo me everytime! Also, to mitigate the Orgres how initiative, you might want to consider a Stonehorn, which causes the enemy around it to strike last. Lastly, having 2 or 3 sabretusks running around is a good idea. They are perfect chaff, war machine, and archer hunters, and cost next to nothing. Hope this helps.

rolly_321
27-10-2014, 13:12
Stonehorns don't cause ASL that's the other one. They do cause a ton of impact hits however and they are one of the more resilient monsters out there. Doubled up with iron blasters to act as a counter battery they're a fairly safe bet. They still help with the initiative issue though since impacts happen prior to initiative based attacks. The model is beautiful too so +1 there.

Guts are good but don't be too hasty to convert your bulls to guts, IMO they are just as good. With iron fists they are a little more survivable and cheaper, they're also considerably cheaper as the model count racks up or as 4 they will help to flank or hold off other units. A lot of ogre players put all their eggs in one or two baskets and this tends to either pay off or go horribly wrong.

kikibobo
27-10-2014, 13:24
My buddy plays ogres and the ironblaster is a must, two for even more slaying. He runs mournfangs in most lists as they are extremely impressive for their cost. I think he runs with 5 though to prevent running away when one is lost on a cannon shot. Dont take a champ on the mournfangs though as he will undoubtedly get singled out in a challenge. Bulls are just as good as iron guts, so decide based on what you will be fighting. I prefer bulls as they are more resilient and you can get more into a unit. Butcher/slaughtermaster is a good choice with a bsb to support. Most people, like rolly_321 said, run a deathstar with all their characters in one basket. Sometimes its brutal, other times it just leaves them open to losing everything in a fluke flee. I have seen mixed outcomes with leadbelchers. They have the potential to do some damage but usually suffer from too many minuses on "to hit" rolls. In groups of 2-3 though, they are still a threat and might get a few wounds off before getting into combat.

jaws900
27-10-2014, 13:38
Stonehorns don't cause ASL that's the other one. They do cause a ton of impact hits however and they are one of the more resilient monsters out there. Doubled up with iron blasters to act as a counter battery they're a fairly safe bet. They still help with the initiative issue though since impacts happen prior to initiative based attacks. The model is beautiful too so +1 there.

Guts are good but don't be too hasty to convert your bulls to guts, IMO they are just as good. With iron fists they are a little more survivable and cheaper, they're also considerably cheaper as the model count racks up or as 4 they will help to flank or hold off other units. A lot of ogre players put all their eggs in one or two baskets and this tends to either pay off or go horribly wrong.

I do love the model and will likely get a Hunter on one (which i can just use as a normal bull if i want). Iron Blasters are also something im and certain to get down the line. Next in line to get will be some more Ogres to take me to a unit of 8 and then use the other 2 i will have spare to convert 2 Bruisers, 1 comabt one and one with BSB.

jaws900
27-10-2014, 13:43
My buddy plays ogres and the ironblaster is a must, two for even more slaying. He runs mournfangs in most lists as they are extremely impressive for their cost. I think he runs with 5 though to prevent running away when one is lost on a cannon shot. Dont take a champ on the mournfangs though as he will undoubtedly get singled out in a challenge. Bulls are just as good as iron guts, so decide based on what you will be fighting. I prefer bulls as they are more resilient and you can get more into a unit. Butcher/slaughtermaster is a good choice with a bsb to support. Most people, like rolly_321 said, run a deathstar with all their characters in one basket. Sometimes its brutal, other times it just leaves them open to losing everything in a fluke flee. I have seen mixed outcomes with leadbelchers. They have the potential to do some damage but usually suffer from too many minuses on "to hit" rolls. In groups of 2-3 though, they are still a threat and might get a few wounds off before getting into combat.

I have looked at Mournfangs as well and i am thinking of them but compared to a BSB and IronBlasters they are not a piarity at the moment. I also don't upgrade ANY ogre units with champions due to challanges and from what i have herd it doesn't change much in the end for that 1 extra attack.
I am playing my first game with them on Wednesday Vs Empire most likely, can't change up the lsit much but here is the list i'm using

Slughtermaster w/ Greedy Fist & Lv4
8 Ironguts (Banner & Bellower)
4 Bulls (Banner & Bellower)
2 Leadbelchers
2 Leadbelchers

Takes me to about 1000pts

Folomo
27-10-2014, 23:17
You can always refuse a challenge with a champion with no consequences.
Only characters are forced to accept a challenge.

The Ogres Net-list I know includes:
- 2 ironblasters
- 3 single saberthusk
- An iron-gut unit with Full Command and the discipline banner. This includes 2/3 characters with good defense, one of those with the crown of command. Another of those characters is the BSB. It makes for a boring but quite effective deathstar.
- A lvl 4. Can be in the mentioned unit.
- Leadbelchers and/or Mourfang as preferred.

I have seen some ogres use the bulls. The hellheart or dispel scroll are a good option too.
I have not seen much else being used in the whole book to be sincere. Someone mentioned they had some sort of mammuth that looks cool I think.

Edit: Almost forgot Maneaters. Quite versatile.

jaws900
29-10-2014, 08:21
Thankyou for your help. as i keep askign around it seems that Ogre are ne of "Those" armies. I think of them akin to the 4.5 edition chaos Space marines in that there are onyl a few units worth using. From what i can tell the following units are the ones worth using;

Slaughtermaster/Butcher
Bruiser (mainly for the BSB)
Bulls & Ironguts (i see them 50/50 really)
Sabretusks (in single units)
Mournfangs
Ironblasters

The unit i NEVEr see discused are
Hunter/Firebelly
Tyrant
Gnoblars
Yhetees & Gorgers
Gnoblar Scraplauncher
Giant

How do these play in a Ogre army, i can actually make a large unit of Gnoblars with all the gnoblar bits you get in a ogre box.

Bronhoms
29-10-2014, 08:46
Get some og those pesky agile dogs with 4 freaking attacks. They are brilliant. Also 15 ironguts or leadbelchers in horde packs a nasty punch.

rolly_321
29-10-2014, 15:14
The ogre book is fairly well built all round, the less common units tend to not be useless but rather objectively just as not as good as a counter part that does a similar role or require a change in game style.

Examples being that yhetees aren't horrible, but in an army of monstrous infantry there are other units that can do their job better. If Yhetees were say a part of the Wood Elf book they would be used all the time.

Another is Gnoblars, who due to being so slow in comparison with the rest of the army means you have to build around them and who gets ogres to play an army based on pseudo-goblins

Metacarpi
29-10-2014, 15:25
Thankyou for your help. as i keep askign around it seems that Ogre are ne of "Those" armies. I think of them akin to the 4.5 edition chaos Space marines in that there are onyl a few units worth using. From what i can tell the following units are the ones worth using;

Slaughtermaster/Butcher
Bruiser (mainly for the BSB)
Bulls & Ironguts (i see them 50/50 really)
Sabretusks (in single units)
Mournfangs
Ironblasters

The unit i NEVEr see discused are
Hunter/Firebelly
Tyrant
Gnoblars
Yhetees & Gorgers
Gnoblar Scraplauncher
Giant

How do these play in a Ogre army, i can actually make a large unit of Gnoblars with all the gnoblar bits you get in a ogre box.

Firebelly is great as a scroll caddy and as a mage in low level games - also give him the initiative 10 item and laugh as he uses his breath weapon in close combat before anyone else gets to make a move.

I also use Gnoblars and Giants. Gnoblars - keep them small and give them the trapper upgrade. Not a killer, but useful for chipping wounds off, and being a speedbump. Giants - I just love the models, and my fluff is that my Slaughtermaster and Bruiser are brothers leading a clan, and rose to power by both capturing a Giant and binding it to their will.

Minigiant
30-10-2014, 14:55
Firebelly is great as a scroll caddy and as a mage in low level games - also give him the initiative 10 item and laugh as he uses his breath weapon in close combat before anyone else gets to make a move.

This has been discussed before, it does not work. To gain the boost you need Potion of Speed.

Firebelly is great is you want your Slaughtermaster using Lore of the Great Maw. Otherwise you need a butcher for the butcher tax. Lore of the Great Maw is a great lore. The Firebelly can then help clear chaff. This can also be achieved from the Ruby Ring of ruin.

I run a LotGM Slaughtermaster with the Ruby Ring and a Firebelly scroll caddie (I would have the potion if i had the points)