PDA

View Full Version : Anyone playing Banner Saga?

Whitwort Stormbringer
27-10-2014, 21:44
http://stoicstudio.com/

I just found out about this gem of a game, and have been playing the free-to-play multiplayer version lately (Banner Saga: Factions). I haven't bit the bullet yet, but the single-player story game looks spectacular, so I'm determined to give it a go.

The overall feel is sort of a Norse mythological setting, recreated in hand-drawn animation that's very reminiscent of old Disney films (not the caricatures of later stuff, but more of a dark fantasy vibe like The Black Cauldron or Sleeping Beauty). Visually, it's really a beautiful game.

Gameplay itself is a fairly standard turn-based strategy rpg, the likes of Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics: Ogre, etc. Characters have two health bars, both Strength and Armor. When you attack, you can choose to either target your opponent's strength, dealing (your strength) - (their armor) in damage, or you can deal a fixed amount of damage to their armor. When a character's strength reaches 0, s/he's KO'd.

It presents some interesting strategic decisions - do you focus on whittling someone's armor down, to deal more damage with future attacks, or do you try to bring them down with high-strength attacks from the get-go? Notice that as you take damage to your strength, the amount of damage that you can deal is reduced, as well. If your strength is less than your target's armor, you can still deal 1 damage when targeting their strength, but there's a chance your attack will miss.

Different character classes then bring different special abilities to the table, and so on and so forth.

If turn-based fantasy strategy is your thing, I'd highly recommend checking it out!

Freak Ona Leash
27-10-2014, 23:34
I have played both, it's great fun. The single-player is incredible, and the consequences of certain decisions can be devastating. In a good way, of course. The story and background and general vibe of the game is great. My only criticism is I want the next part to come out now! :p I highly recommend buying the single-player, it's great. No one plays the multiplayer much anymore, which is a shame because it was a lot of fun all on its own.