PDA

View Full Version : VC themed army thoughts?

Doommasters
28-10-2014, 02:43
Thinking about starting a painting project for the Vampire Counts but want the army to feel more like Vampires than undead. The theme I am thinking about is a Blood Dragon army, that does not include any skeleton models as I feel it detracts from the feel of the army......This is an army of vampires and lesser vampires.

I have looked through the GW model range and realised that DE models tend to fit the vampire theme the best, there armor and facial features looks vampiric. Therefore I am thinking about using DE spearmen as skeletons, Executioners as Graveguard and possibly CoK as black knights (painted to looke like baby red dragons) but I am not sure if this could be pulled off. Rare it pretty easy as Blood Knights already look great.

It sounds good in theory to me anyway, but I am just not sure if this will end up looking 'Vampiric Enough' to pull off a nice themed army or will look like I was lazy and have just used DE models (not that I have a DE army).

Any thoughts?

EvanM
28-10-2014, 02:47
Yeah you should do this! you are gonna need to use very very pale colors for the skin, just jet black hair and red eyes. Then perhaps add in some of your own helmets (extra bits can be bought online)

Ramius4
28-10-2014, 02:51
Any thoughts?

Sounds interesting. You'll have a hard time of making Dark Elves look like convincing Vampires with just a paintjob though.

Doommasters
28-10-2014, 03:06
Sounds interesting. You'll have a hard time of making Dark Elves look like convincing Vampires with just a paintjob though.

That is one of the concerns, does anyone know of any stores that sell 'bits' that might work to help convert them to be more vampiric (outside GW obviously)

Ramius4
28-10-2014, 03:14
That is one of the concerns, does anyone know of any stores that sell 'bits' that might work to help convert them to be more vampiric (outside GW obviously)

You're stuck with ebay for bits these days I'm afraid. My advice is to see what some of the ebay sellers that have online stores have available. Horde o Bitz is decent.

Just be prepared to pay some good money if you want a lot of the stuff.

EvanM
28-10-2014, 03:32
I think all you need is heads, the armor and arms and bodies are fine.

Plus dark elf playstyle would line up with vampires decently enough

Philhelm
28-10-2014, 04:12
I think that would work, although I'm not sure I like the Cold Ones being used as mini-dragons as that would be too Dark Elf. However, the medieval vampire soldiers from the movie Underworld: Rise of the Lycans had looked a lot like Dark Elves.

Dr.Zahnfleisch
28-10-2014, 04:58
Just to give you an alternative idea: How about Vampire Bretonnians? You could even use the bretonnian army book, since everyone can use the lore of undead now. Especially if you want a Blood Dragon Host, this is a very viable option.

- they both have very strong characters (applies to DE as well)
- Bretonnian paesants could represent Silvanian smallfolk (the base models are already perfect for it)
- They have the right cavalry options to represent a Blood Dragon host (I can't really see cold one knights in that role with stupidity)
- They are humans (duh) and thus closer to Vampires, thematically

Think about it :)

Doommasters
28-10-2014, 06:01
Just to give you an alternative idea: How about Vampire Bretonnians? You could even use the bretonnian army book, since everyone can use the lore of undead now. Especially if you want a Blood Dragon Host, this is a very viable option.

- they both have very strong characters (applies to DE as well)
- Bretonnian paesants could represent Silvanian smallfolk (the base models are already perfect for it)
- They have the right cavalry options to represent a Blood Dragon host (I can't really see cold one knights in that role with stupidity)
- They are humans (duh) and thus closer to Vampires, thematically

Think about it :)

Just not a fan of the Brettonian models TBC, but I agree about the cold ones.

Doommasters
28-10-2014, 06:04
I think all you need is heads, the armor and arms and bodies are fine.

Plus dark elf playstyle would line up with vampires decently enough

I see executioners as perfect bar the masked face, if they just had a regular DE face they would be ideal..blac guard might be better however the tall helms are a little elfy.

Urgat
28-10-2014, 06:43
If you buy bits, make sure to calculate if it's worth it. I wanted to buy just the horses of the black knights... it saved me like one or two euros over the full box. Bit sellers aren't what they used to be.
As for the vamps/DE instead of skellies, sure, but those are some seriously weak vampires you'll have there.

Wesser
28-10-2014, 06:46
The main problem is here is Vampires with skeleton stats, which would sorta ruin it for me..

But really you could pick almost any army for this. I think it's Titan-Forge that runs an Orc & Goblin Undead army (had I known when I started my VC I'd have done exactly that) which looks splendid.

Even High Elves and their white robes can with a few touches look sinister and vampiric. It's really just about choosing models you like and then thinking about how they'd look if afflicted by vampirism

Doommasters
28-10-2014, 07:26
The main problem is here is Vampires with skeleton stats, which would sorta ruin it for me..

But really you could pick almost any army for this. I think it's Titan-Forge that runs an Orc & Goblin Undead army (had I known when I started my VC I'd have done exactly that) which looks splendid.

Even High Elves and their white robes can with a few touches look sinister and vampiric. It's really just about choosing models you like and then thinking about how they'd look if afflicted by vampirism

Mmmmmm good point about the weak vamps, grave guard will prob be ok but it might not look great having hordes of vampires removed instantly. Maybe I have to reconsider the skeletons....

E-Dog
28-10-2014, 14:41
I like the idea of DE spearmen, but how about instead of skellies run them as zombies and mix in zombie bitz? Good luck with your project!

Leogun_91
28-10-2014, 15:19
You will have very weak vampires going that route. However if you play undead legions a vampire rider can be put on a big base and be called a chariot. Place a prince on a chariot (with ASF or Ini 10 sword) and represent it as well to have WS 5 vampires riding forth with the might they deserve. That way you'll resolve the core and after that it's BKs and characters to your hearts content.

kikibobo
28-10-2014, 15:29
You could still use ghouls as core if you didnt want skeletons, but I think ultimately you will be pidgeonholed if you go with a VC army without any skeletons. And as stated, skeletons make for very very week vampires (even if they are nub ones).

Alternatively, I personally think converting a DE army to look like vampires would be sweet. Dont even try to be VC and just do it in looks. You could use lore of death, shadow, or dark which would still fit thematically. You could even buy a few of the vampire lord/heroes as stand ins instead of using the elf ones. Elves have the speed and finesse of a vampire and dark elf armor and some of the monsters brings it to the darker side of the vampire. The only downside is that they would lack the healing/regrowth of vampires

EvanM
28-10-2014, 15:44
I think itd be a much better (game wise) idea to make a "dark elf" army look like a bunch of vampires. dark elves have that elite aspect thing down with a whole "I'm gonna kill you right now" type deal going, so you should consider that.

they have spearmen, swordsmen, crossbows, 2 hw guys, knights, chariots, monsters, and decently killy characters, and assassins. So if you convert all those units to look like vampires, you will have an epic army!

Trying to make measly puny zombies or skellies units that are supposed to be a regiment of fricken vampires seems kind of lame IMO, thats like saying I want to play skaven and use my greatswords or white lions to count as skavenslaves.

It just doesnt really fit.

Doommasters
28-10-2014, 18:23
I think itd be a much better (game wise) idea to make a "dark elf" army look like a bunch of vampires. dark elves have that elite aspect thing down with a whole "I'm gonna kill you right now" type deal going, so you should consider that.

they have spearmen, swordsmen, crossbows, 2 hw guys, knights, chariots, monsters, and decently killy characters, and assassins. So if you convert all those units to look like vampires, you will have an epic army!

Trying to make measly puny zombies or skellies units that are supposed to be a regiment of fricken vampires seems kind of lame IMO, thats like saying I want to play skaven and use my greatswords or white lions to count as skavenslaves.

It just doesnt really fit.

I think everything outside core is pretty doable, what would you recomend for core?

I see the options for Ghouls as;

1) vampires converted to be undead chariots (poster above great idea :))
2) DE Spearmen painted like undead zombie spearman
3) DE spearman converted with skeleton heads
4) Use the classic GW or mantic skeletons
5) Ghouls but they do not really fit the theme

Wesser
29-10-2014, 07:24
Maybe the Core can be Coven Members rather than full vampires? Men and women hoping for the Blood Kiss but really just being the smorgasbord for the rest of the army?

Talk about sorting out logistics problems....

N00B
29-10-2014, 15:18
If you want your basic troops to be vampires I would look to use the rules of Warriors of Chaos - their basic troops are as close as you can get to vampire strength in core. Mark of Khorne Chaos warriors feels like blood-crazed vampires to me

They have chariots to replace with black coaches/corpse carts. You could even take the scourgerunner chariot and add a couple of vampires as crew to make the chariots. powerful knights and sorcerers that can take lore of death/shadow which would seem to work for the vampire theme - I could also see Slaanesh working as a "vampire" lore. Maybe use a converted cauldron of blood/bloodwrack shrine from DE for a war alter...

EvanM
29-10-2014, 16:17
Or you could just make your own rules for friendly games. You could make up some rules for this. Basic vamp soldiers should be S4 T4 WS4, still be on 20mm bases, then an assortment of weaponry and special units. There should be cav, knights probably, and then some ranged units. Id imagine vamps using crossbows.

So whats the closest thing? Dark elves for sure, but if you want you can make up your own rules.