PDA

View Full Version : Empire, 2k

Armond
28-10-2014, 19:51
I am totally into building an almost all cav Empire army, mostly because I like the lower model count for ease of converting and painting.

Thoughts?

Grandmaster
-Dragonhelm, Talisman of Preservation, Great Weapon

Warrior Priest
-Warhorse, Armor of Meteoric Iron, Great Weapon

Warrior Priest
-Warhorse w/Barding, Armor of Destiny, Great Weapon

Captain
-BSB, Warhorse w/Barding, Lance, Full Plate, Shield

11 x Reiksguard Knights
-Full Command, Gleaming Pennant

3 x Demigryph Knights
-Full Command, War Banner

11 x Inner Circle Knights
-Full Command, Razor Standard

11 x Knights
-Full Command, Great Weapons

5 x Outriders
-Musician

10 x Huntsmen
-Musician

1998 Points

Lots of 1+ Armor save, but kind of necessary for such a small army. 11 in some units due to putting character(s) in them to flesh them out. Figure two Warrior Priest can spread the hate and be able to get maybe one blessing a turn off with opponents dispelling. Is the Grandmaster worth it? I like the fluff about him, and what he is supposed to symbolize, especially in this. I just haven't decided if I want to keep him, or potentially save some points to possibly move towards replacing the Outriders with 2 small units of Pistoliers?

Thoughts?

EvanM
29-10-2014, 04:30
Running a list without a level 4 wizard is extremely risky. You have no spells to cast whatsoever in turns one and two, so that's also a waste. I suggest you remove a warrior priest and reorganize stuff so that you can afford to take a lvl4 lore of life, light, or heavens

In Dark Trees
29-10-2014, 14:04
This list desperately needs some sort of magic defense--Warrior Priests aren't going to cut it. Those knights hit hard but that doesn't much matter if they've all been turned into eldritch goo.

Heirube
29-10-2014, 14:13
Agreed about the magic - heavens is really fun if you are looking for something. And Warrior Priests generally only get off their spells if you plan your magic phase well (save dice and misdirect with your opening spells) or 6-dice them.

Also just my take but I like using vanilla knights in 5 man units for chaff hunting instead of Outriders etc. Also not sure why the Huntsmen, they will only live 1 turn if you drop them in the enemy deployment area and their shooting/combat skills aren't very good imho.

Also: MORE DEMIGRYPHS! They are the best unit we have, don't skimp! Let them anvil something while your Inner Circle or Reiksguard crash the flanks.

Armond
30-10-2014, 04:40
Running a list without a level 4 wizard is extremely risky. You have no spells to cast whatsoever in turns one and two, so that's also a waste. I suggest you remove a warrior priest and reorganize stuff so that you can afford to take a lvl4 lore of life, light, or heavens

I just don't believe that a level four is mandatory. I have been playing for some time, and I do believe a magic presence is important to not prevent yourself from participating. I do think a guaranteed way to dispel would be nice, maybe a Beast or Light wizard with a dispel scroll?

Armond
30-10-2014, 04:42
This list desperately needs some sort of magic defense--Warrior Priests aren't going to cut it. Those knights hit hard but that doesn't much matter if they've all been turned into eldritch goo.

I do understand the lack of magic options, but the Warrior priests are moreso there for their Hate and the off chance of getting a blessing off. I don't expect tons from them, although I could feasibly go with dropping one and the huntsmen and opting for the lvl 2 wizard option? Problem I have is where to put him?

Armond
30-10-2014, 04:44
Agreed about the magic - heavens is really fun if you are looking for something. And Warrior Priests generally only get off their spells if you plan your magic phase well (save dice and misdirect with your opening spells) or 6-dice them.

Also just my take but I like using vanilla knights in 5 man units for chaff hunting instead of Outriders etc. Also not sure why the Huntsmen, they will only live 1 turn if you drop them in the enemy deployment area and their shooting/combat skills aren't very good imho.

Also: MORE DEMIGRYPHS! They are the best unit we have, don't skimp! Let them anvil something while your Inner Circle or Reiksguard crash the flanks.
I kind of see your point, and am definitely considering it. I don't want to over do the Demigryphs, I cannot see two full units of them stomping around though, and my playstyle is a little more kinder gentler.

Fighting Newfoundlander
31-10-2014, 23:05
Well you could try a level 2 beast wizard with a warhorse. I think splitting one of the knight units in two might work as well. I'd consider either the unit of normal knights, or the reiksguard. Stubborn 1+ units, even if just 5 guys, really rock.

Armond
03-11-2014, 03:55
Ya, I am just trying to figure out the direction I want to go. Very difficult with the ease that Cav heavy armies can come to a halt when met with large rank and file units.

In Dark Trees
03-11-2014, 14:49
I do understand the lack of magic options, but the Warrior priests are moreso there for their Hate and the off chance of getting a blessing off. I don't expect tons from them, although I could feasibly go with dropping one and the huntsmen and opting for the lvl 2 wizard option? Problem I have is where to put him?

Personally, I would keep the Huntsmen (I might add a second unit) and remove the Outriders. They are so delicate for such an expensive unit. I might split one unit of Knights in two and use its members to hunt for chaff and war machines. You could hide the wizard in one of the units, or you could conceal him in one of the Huntsmen units and hope he doesn't get killed too early in the game.

If I were you, I'd aim for fewer but hittier hammers in this list: two larger blocks of knights accompanied by the Demigryphs. I'd then aim to execute a refused flank strategy each game.

This is just a thought: would you get more from a pegasus-mounted captain than from the BSB? I think the former would give you more versatility.