PDA

View Full Version : Double Star Dragon anyone?(3K games)

Sinsigel
29-10-2014, 15:50
After collecting and playing dwarfs as my second army for a while, I suddenly started getting less enthusiastic on using 'competitive' HE lists.
Overall fragility, reliance on magic for maximum performance were some of the reasons. And I just didn't have the good generalship to write and play such lists.
Even more so as I was really enjoying playing dwarfs with their GW-wielding infantry and highly reliable warmachines.(After all, I started dwarfs just to shoot some cannons)

So I decided to write lists around models I wanted to use, not the lists for powergaming. At least for high elves.
And double star dragon list was one of them. It would be hard to put in 2,500pts list even with the recent FAQ, but me and my fellow gamers play 3,000pts games most of the time.
And that allows enough lords allowance for two star dragon lords : One Prince and One Archmage.

While a single star dragon takes minimum two cannonballs to go down, at 3,000pts games I believe even double star dragons will be quickly shot down.
Empire, dwarfs, daemons and ogres can bring 4 cannons minimum at 3,000pts level, and should they get the first turn it will become even more severe uphill battle for me.

So far, I've had only a single games against tzeentch heavy daemons with kairos, lord of change, 5 units of horrors, 4 units of screamers and 3 skull cannons.
Daemons player's mistake(his screamers charged my star dragon on 1st turn) allowed my star dragons to see CC before getting shot down, but I doubt same thing will happen again.
Below is the list revised after that game. I've added secondary mage with dispel scroll at the cost of three dragon princes, as I would be left with no magic defence should the archmage gets shot down on turn 1 by cannons. Comments are welcome.

Lords
Prince(Star Dragon, Lion Cloak, Shield, Star Lance, Armour of Destiny, Dragonbane Gem, The Other Trickster's Shard)
Archmage(LEvel 4, Star Dragon, Talisman of Preservation, Scroll of Shielding, Ironcurse Icon) - High Magic

Heroes
Noble(BSB, Lance, Dragon Armour, Barded Elven Steed, Golden Crown of Atrazar, Enchanted Shield)
Mage(Level 1, Dispel Scroll) - Lore of Beasts

Core
16 Archers(Standard Bearer, Musician)
15 Silver Helms(Shields, Full Command)
5 Ellyrian Reavers(Musician)
5 Ellyrian Reavers(Musician)

Special
6 Dragon Princes of Caledor(Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon)

Rare
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Great Eagle
Frostheart Phoenix

2,999pts

Wesser
30-10-2014, 10:21
Meh I don't doubt it'll look spectacular, but it's one of them "lose big"/"win big" that I'm super-wary of using or endorsing.

boli
30-10-2014, 11:19
You'll be surprised at how well you can protect dragons with a clever use of buildings, monstrous infantry and walls. - they only need to survive 1 turn before they'll be in combat for the rest of the game.

If you are wanting a mage on a dragon - go dragon mage

In fact

LORDS - 936 points
* Prince: Star Lance, Star Dragon, Great Weapon, Armor of Caledor
* Archmage: 4++ Book of Hoeth, Level 4

HEROES - 728 points
* Dragon Mage: Dragon Armour, Enchanted Shield, Level 2
* Noble: BSB, Raver Bow, Potion of STrength, Dragon Armour, Shield, Lance, Swiftsense Griffon

that's a *very* heavy character investment for 3k but I think you'll see more viable use out of it and be more target saturation for your opponents to deal with; especially if paired with eagle and frostheart.

Sinsigel
30-10-2014, 15:41
You'll be surprised at how well you can protect dragons with a clever use of buildings, monstrous infantry and walls. - they only need to survive 1 turn before they'll be in combat for the rest of the game.

If you are wanting a mage on a dragon - go dragon mage

In fact

LORDS - 936 points
* Prince: Star Lance, Star Dragon, Great Weapon, Armor of Caledor
* Archmage: 4++ Book of Hoeth, Level 4

HEROES - 728 points
* Dragon Mage: Dragon Armour, Enchanted Shield, Level 2
* Noble: BSB, Raver Bow, Potion of STrength, Dragon Armour, Shield, Lance, Swiftsense Griffon

that's a *very* heavy character investment for 3k but I think you'll see more viable use out of it and be more target saturation for your opponents to deal with; especially if paired with eagle and frostheart.

I did just quick calculation, but that would leave me even less points fro specials and rare.
I consider BotWD to be quite useful in such list(Stubborn for dragons, other than the 2+ ward against magical attacks), and so do other elements.
Dragon Mage is too expensive, and the sun dragon is too weak to provide good target saturation IMHO. hence my determination to bring extra star dragon.