PDA

View Full Version : Emperors children: help

Doommasters
31-10-2014, 05:18
Hi,

I am not a 40k player but I stumbled across some really epic looking guys when I was buying some forge world Fantasy stuff.......Emperors Children Terminators!

Basically I do not have a 40k army but I really want to paint these guys and start an army after seeing them. However I have no idea where to start with the army or even if it is playable army in regular 40k games? What books would I need to understand what units can I take it the army, what units are worth buying etc etc

I am flying blind at the moment so any advice would be much appreciated :)

Kingrick
31-10-2014, 05:54
Hi,

I am not a 40k player but I stumbled across some really epic looking guys when I was buying some forge world Fantasy stuff.......Emperors Children Terminators!

Basically I do not have a 40k army but I really want to paint these guys and start an army after seeing them. However I have no idea where to start with the army or even if it is playable army in regular 40k games? What books would I need to understand what units can I take it the army, what units are worth buying etc etc

I am flying blind at the moment so any advice would be much appreciated :)

They are very cool models. You will need the Horus Heresy books, unless you just want to use them as cool looking chaos space marine termies. I've been looking at the horus heresy stuff lately too, they have some really cool rules for a lot of different chapters. Makes it hard to decide.

Doommasters
31-10-2014, 07:09
They are very cool models. You will need the Horus Heresy books, unless you just want to use them as cool looking chaos space marine termies. I've been looking at the horus heresy stuff lately too, they have some really cool rules for a lot of different chapters. Makes it hard to decide.

Are the heresy books legitimate armies for regular 40k games?

Spiney Norman
31-10-2014, 09:31

It depends who you ask, some folks think that you should only play heresy era armies against other heresy armies, others are quite happy to play against them using regular 40k armies. Given the amount of overpowered crap that 7th edition has foisted on the game with allies and unbound, I think that heresy armies are far more balanced than regular 40k so I personally wouldn't have a problem with it.

baphomael
31-10-2014, 09:45

Depends. The Heresy books actually bring this up. They note the lists work fine against 40k armies, but you may want your opponent's permission because the heresy lists have options that may unballance things a little. I'm pretty sure Vokite toting troops choices would make armies with hordes of cheap infantry cry. Imagine volkites against a big blob of guardsmen?

With Lords of War having moved over into the regular 40k game, at least there are some roughly equivalent options available to match the primarchs and fellblades that might be stomping around, so that element of ballance has already been addressed somewhat

But yea, it can be used against a regular 40k army, but due some of the builds possible with the 30k rules things could become unballanced (since 30k ballance is around large forces of power armour with fancier toys than their 40k counterparts, even the humble basic autocannon predator is better than its 40k counterpart... for the same cost it has a better main weapon). So yea, if your opponent is down with it then cool, if not there's always the counts-as option. I wouldnt expect many tournament settings to allow 30k army lists, however.

druchii
01-11-2014, 19:58
So if you go with a "normal" 40k approach, that is no forgeworld heresy armies (although those armies are damn cool!), you'll need the 40k main rule book, Codex:Chaos Space marines, and possibly Codex: Chaos Demons if you want to have some demon-buddies running around.

Model wise, you'll want to stick to Lords of Slaanesh (which make your Noise Marines troops, which is a lot like Core from fantasy), Sorcerers of Slaanesh (which have a sweet spell which makes the weapons of Noise Marines better), Noise Marines (blast masters are great, and the FAQ lets you take an additional blast master in your large squads), and then you come to choices. Bikes, small raptor squads with meltas to bust tanks, obliterators, a helldrake, spawn+a mounted lord, autocannon+hb sposon predators are all good units.

If you start adding allies some heralds of slaanesh, demonettes, seekers and a soul grinder would all be great additions to your army.

d

Aryllon
01-11-2014, 23:38
There's no reason why you have to use them as 40k Chaos Space Marines - regular 40k Space Marines or Grey Knights would be fine too, alongside the 30k Legion army list. If you buy the 30k Heresy books some people could find it overpowered so you can balance this option a little by excluding yourself from using units that are more powerful than regular 40k Space Marines get (units full of special weapons being a prime example) and exclude weapon types that 40k Marines can't access (volkite, archaeotech).

So you need the relevant codex and an opponent (you might want to buy the core rules too, or you could have the opponent / your gaming group teach you). Some core rules (USRs, weapons etc) are often in the digital version of Codices too.

Personally I would build a 40k army list using the regular Space Marine codex but incorporating Forgeworld models (for example the Emperor's Children Palatine Blades are beautiful and would make excellent 40k Honour Guard with Relic Blades, or Vanguard Veterans with power weapons - especially if you use them with Blood Angels winged jump packs), then use a unit of Phoenix Terminators as allied Grey Knights Terminators with force halberds.

I think if the goal is to use models you like in a list that as most people would be happy to play against, a regular 40k Space Marine army with a small allied Grey Knight detachment would be your best option. That way you're only using units which you would have access to anyway, just switching out some GW models for identically-armed FW versions.

Krom Dragongaze
02-11-2014, 03:03

Short answer is Yes.

FW stuff is legally allowed to be played in 40k. Considering that the 30k line is FW, though you will be limited to play them as whole armies. Unless unbound. But you are more likely to face a titan army than unbound.

Chem-Dog
02-11-2014, 13:13
I'd say pick a terminator equivalent from any of the handful available to regular 40k players, simply because the FW lists include a lot of rules that regular 40k doesn't and, as you're new to the game, it might be better for you to get a handle on the core game first.
Nothing to say you can't expand into a full crusade or heresy army afterwards.

obleeke
02-11-2014, 20:03
I personally use a Noise Marines army in 40k. I usually run 2x10 man squads with sonic weaponry (which I find awesome), along with a Sorcerer (there's a psy power that boosts sonic weapons), and the mandatory Lord (so your Noise Marines become Troops) usually with Bikers (really good) or Rapaxes (sooo coool). Depending on points, I either use Dreadnoughts, Terminators, and/or some tank support (which are modified, so their weaponry look like sonic weapons).

The FW models (both for Termies and Dreads) are really cool looking, if I ever have some money to spend, that's definitely my next buy. You can just use them as regular units, but they will look cooler than anyone else's. ;)

I agree with Chem-Dog, it's probably easier to learn the 40k core rules, and you should consider that most gamers play this system, it's probably the most popular game worldwide. You may have heard many bad things about Chaos Space Marines (most of them true), but, from my personal experience, a Noise Marines theme army is really playable (it is my main army, I both win and lose with them equally). They are cool looking, shoot troops are good, combat troops are good (transports are an issue, but that's for the whole faction), and psy powers are ok (some general disciplines are better, but I find the Slaanesh lore fluffy and playable).

I recommend taking a look at the project logs, there are some great and inspiring Slaanesh theme armies there, that's where I found both inspiration and will to start collecting my army (which, by the way, I should start painting).

Edit: I found one of the project logs I was speaking of:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?368445-Syn-s-Emperor-s-Children-Log

It is a greatly converted/painted Noise Marines army by system-syn, I think you are going to enjoy it.

Doommasters
03-11-2014, 07:32
Thanks for the help guys. I think I might park this one for later as I just don't know enough about 40k yet. Looking at building an imperial knight and space marine force to get me started in the hobby.