PDA

View Full Version : New Project for 2015 - TAU

ashley.willson
01-11-2014, 17:50
Hi everyone

I am going to be starting a new army for 2015 with a view to take it to a throne of skulls tournament. My heart is set on Tau, but I have a few ideas for the type of army that I would like to go for:

1 - All suits - an entire army of battle suits backed up by stealth suits and supported by 2/3 riptides. The idea being to bring the suits in with deep strike using the stealth suits for precisions stikes

2 - Fish of fury - an army focused around fire warrior squads in devil fish transports backed up by suits and flyers

3 - Generic Tau army - an army considerably more "traditional" utilising all parts of the codex evenly.

At the moment I am leaning towards number 1 being all suits. I have't even got as far as getting my hands on the codex yet which will be the next step although I am toying with colour schemes right now too, but this may be influenced by the army type.

I would like peoples opinions focusing on these questions:
Which one do you think would be most fun to play against
Which one do you think would be the most visually striking
Which one do you think is most in keeping with the Tau fluff

Once I have made a decision I will keep posting updates on here and turn this into something of a PLOG

Thanks!

Menthak
01-11-2014, 18:09
Hi everyone

I am going to be starting a new army for 2015 with a view to take it to a throne of skulls tournament. My heart is set on Tau, but I have a few ideas for the type of army that I would like to go for:

1 - All suits - an entire army of battle suits backed up by stealth suits and supported by 2/3 riptides. The idea being to bring the suits in with deep strike using the stealth suits for precisions stikes

2 - Fish of fury - an army focused around fire warrior squads in devil fish transports backed up by suits and flyers

3 - Generic Tau army - an army considerably more "traditional" utilising all parts of the codex evenly.

At the moment I am leaning towards number 1 being all suits. I have't even got as far as getting my hands on the codex yet which will be the next step although I am toying with colour schemes right now too, but this may be influenced by the army type.

I would like peoples opinions focusing on these questions:
Which one do you think would be most fun to play against
Which one do you think would be the most visually striking
Which one do you think is most in keeping with the Tau fluff

Once I have made a decision I will keep posting updates on here and turn this into something of a PLOG

Thanks!

1. Potentially visually striking. Can be fluffy (farsight).
2. Kinda fun to play against I suppose, could be striking and can be fluffy, it's a master of none kind of choice.
3. Fluffy, Striking, Fun to play against, the downside of course being that some options aren't competitive (Vespids).

Ultimately an army that makes you happy is much better than one made for your opponent's eyes.

Asura Varuna
02-11-2014, 01:11
I'd probably advise building a collection, rather than an army when it comes to Tau. We have so many competitive and useful choices in all areas of the FOC, it's really hard to pin down exactly what you want to buy. On top of that, many of our unit choices are highly customisable - suits and tanks with interchangable options. Magnets are your friends when it comes to starting afresh with a Tau army. Magnetise everything possible (except perhaps your Fire Warriors' pulse rifles - there's little reason ever to take carbines anyway). This way, as your collection expands you can adapt it to whatever army composition you require. Also consider the alternative Forgeworld models for your Crisis suits if you want something will stand out and look impressive - there's less of a size discrepancy between the XV89 Crisis suits and the newer GW broadsides.

As far as fun to play against - having a varied collection that you can change up between games will be most fun for your opponent. They probably don't want to play against the same list week in week out, and having the flexiblity to change up your options will keep their games interesting. For casual games you can also break outside of the internet wisdom and try different combinations and compositions to make each game unique.
Visually striking usually comes down to paint scheme selection and skill at painting. A combined Tau army will all elements is probably the most striking as it shows off the great variety and quality of Tau miniatures.
As for in keeping with the fluff, as long as the army is mobile and aggressive, it's in keeping with the fluff (despite their usual playstyle of castling and gunlines, this is a distinctly non-Tau tactic in the fluff). Coincidentally, mobile and aggressive armies are also more fun to play against than leafblower lists that just sit on the table edge throwing buckets of dice...

ashley.willson
02-11-2014, 18:33
Thanks Guys. I am still leaning towards the battlesuit list for now so I will focus on them for the time being - either way every list will have them!!

Asura - in response to your post I always follow an army list for the start of a force. It's the only way I will get them started. Following on from that I allow the force to grow more organically. HOwver you did hit on the next thing I cam going to tackle - the outdated XV-8!

Below are a couple of reference pages I was checking out.

http://ftgtgaming.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/converting-tau-xv8-crisis-suit-part-1.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sshOCpSXvjw
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=21522

From these I think what I intend to do is the following:
1 - remove the lower shin portion of the left and craft a new one out of plasticard. I will elongate this more and make it go backward a bit more too. This will give the legs some more length and also allow me to pose them a bit better too.
2 - remove the lower arm and build an upper arm (also from plasticard) to elongate these and to allow me to pose them a bit better too
3 - (potentially) I don't like the ay the head sits on the suit. It looks too fragile and unprotected. I intend to build some kind of collar (as per mk8 errant armour) from plasticard.
4 - raise the vents of the jump pack. This will make the vents site higher and look less obstructed by the body and head
5 - remount the weapons so that they look like they are part of the armour rather than stuck on (a la Forgeworld style!). I don't really like magnetising weapons although I can see the value, I would rather carefully select the weapons and have that model play an important battlefield role!

What do you all think about these changes to the XV8?

Next steps: tester XV8, get my hands on a copy of the codex and list it out and figure out a colour scheme!!

The Orange
02-11-2014, 23:32
Unless your not following any FOC restrictions the Battlesuit list won't really work as Crisis Suits, Stealth Suits, and Riptides are all elite choices, the only way around that restriction is buying the more expensive HQ Crisis suits. You'd probably be better off not doing that anyways, it'd get expensive fast and you'd have too few models that aren't that tough. Like Deathwing except no army wide 2+ save. Option 2 is probably your best bet, make an mobile army, and stuff in what battlesuits you can.

Kakapo42
03-11-2014, 00:20
Unless your not following any FOC restrictions the Battlesuit list won't really work as Crisis Suits, Stealth Suits, and Riptides are all elite choices, the only way around that restriction is buying the more expensive HQ Crisis suits. You'd probably be better off not doing that anyways, it'd get expensive fast and you'd have too few models that aren't that tough. Like Deathwing except no army wide 2+ save. Option 2 is probably your best bet, make an mobile army, and stuff in what battlesuits you can.

Unless they use the Farsight rules, which makes Crisis teams troops.

ashley.willson
03-11-2014, 09:03

For this army I was thinking about using the new Unbound rules to be honest!

The point likening this a Deathwing Lite army is a good one though, and something which I will certainly take on board - thank you!

I think what I will do is scratch up a battlesuit army list and then a 'generic tau' list. From here I can see what a suit list would actually look like versus a generic list and hopefully be able to strike a balance between the two.

What do people think about the XV8 conversion ideas as this would happen regardless of the list chosen?

The Orange
03-11-2014, 16:45
What do people think about the XV8 conversion ideas as this would happen regardless of the list chosen?

Sounds like a lot of work but go for it. For the head I'd try just leaving the antennae off and cutting off the nubs where they attach, it looks much more streamlined. For the weapons, you could try just adding power cable's etc. to make them look more integrated. I'm also trying to get more dynamic poses and for the last suit I made I've pinned the flying stand so that I can attach the suit at a tilted angle.

ashley.willson
03-11-2014, 16:58
Sounds good - any pictures???

I'm always keen to share and borrow ideas!

ashley.willson
03-11-2014, 21:58
So I have a good look through the codex now. The all suit list I cant get to work properly - nor can I get it to a point where I am happy with it suit heavy. The following are the three favourites I have come up with so far.

1.Commander +2 bodyguards + gun drones + shield drone + marker drone, 3XV8 + 6 drones, 12 fire warriors in devilfish, 12 fire warriors in devilfish, Riptide, Riptide
2. Commander + 2 bodyguards +gun d + shield d+ marker d, 6 firewarriors with shasui marker light and marker drone (x 4), 3XV8, 3XV8, Hammer Head, Hammer Head, Sun shark bomber
3. Commander + 2 bodyguards +gun d + shield d+ marker d3 xv8, 6 firewarriors with shasui marker light and marker drone , 6 firewarriors with shasui marker light and marker drone , sun shark bomber, sun shark bomber, riptide, riptide

I am not too concerned about load outs for the suits at the minute, I will go for "all rounders" but am working off some basic builds leaving enough points to play around. At this stage I would like to know what people think of the list in terms of (again...) looks, character and funability to play against. Im open to any and all suggestions on how to make these lists better or even completely change them as I am new to Tau! Fire away!

Sir Didymus
05-11-2014, 12:31
Personally I'm with the all suit using Farsight Enclaves - you lose some Signature systems, but achieve the same things using Markerlights and jump-shoot-jump.

Something like:

Commanders w. Drone Controller (+6 marker drones), Target Lock and Dual Missile Pods

XV8 Suit Teams: Either 3 x Dual Plasma, 3 x Dual Missile Pods, 3 x Flamer+TL Flamer or 1 x TL Fusion Blaster

Riptides: w. Ion Cannon, TL Fusion Blaster and Early Warning Override - sometimes Earth Caste Pilot.

Broadside Teams: 2 x High-yield Missile Pods and Smart Missiles and Early Warning Override - sometimes adding an extra suit with Heavy Rail Rifle and Target Lock.