PDA

View Full Version : 1000 point deamons with new faq.

stainawarjar
01-11-2014, 23:41
I haven't played Warhammer Fantasy for a couple of months, so I haven't played at all since the new FAQ came. So if anyone has any input on this 1000 point list for a tournament tomorrow It'd be greatly appreciated.

I know the Bloodthirster might not be the most competitive choice but I haven't played him in a while so I wanted to try him out again.

Bloodthirster 425 Lord
Lesser gift

17 Pink Horrors 256 Core
Full command, Gleaming Pennant

Beast of Nurgle 60 Special

Skullcannon 135 Rare

Sum 996

Rawdogg15
02-11-2014, 14:27
The more typical daemon build at present seems to revolve around multiple heralds with no lord choice as such. Love the shock factor of the thirster at 1000 points though! Apart from that you have some decent tools there. The beasts are horrible and the skillcanon is a must have really. At this points level, horrors are probably your best core choice too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stainawarjar
02-11-2014, 20:20
Thanks! I just realised two units of 10 horrors with nothing might be better than the one unit I have though.

...too bad I overslept from the tournament!

stainawarjar
02-11-2014, 20:20
Thanks! I just realised two units of 10 horrors with nothing might be better than the one unit I have though.

...too bad I overslept from the tournament!

theJ
03-11-2014, 11:15
At this points level, horrors are probably your best core choice too.

I'll dispute that.
At low point games, magic is an all-or-nothing affair... in more ways than one; you need at least 3-4 spells if you want anything to get through without 6-dicing. This single spell Horrors get(unless I misremember their rules again) would force you to 6-sice literally every single casting you want to get off... they'll end up doing more damage to themselves than to the enemy.
I suppose if you're really desperate for nukes, they'll still do a decent amount of damage to the enemy in addition to themselves, but I would definitely recommend taking a different core, or backing them up with other casters.

In addition, while I know this doesn't really fit into the tactics sub-forum... I have to say I disapprove of mixed allegience armies for fluff reasons.

Rawdogg15
03-11-2014, 18:31
I'll dispute that.
At low point games, magic is an all-or-nothing affair... in more ways than one; you need at least 3-4 spells if you want anything to get through without 6-dicing. This single spell Horrors get(unless I misremember their rules again) would force you to 6-sice literally every single casting you want to get off... they'll end up doing more damage to themselves than to the enemy.
I suppose if you're really desperate for nukes, they'll still do a decent amount of damage to the enemy in addition to themselves, but I would definitely recommend taking a different core, or backing them up with other casters.

In addition, while I know this doesn't really fit into the tactics sub-forum... I have to say I disapprove of mixed allegience armies for fluff reasons.

I've no issue with the dispute, you are more than welcome to your opinion and to disagree with me but at least suggest an alternative rather than just saying don't take horrors.

In my opinion, you don't have to six dice everything, especially if you go with the two units of ten. Okay, so there'll be phases when you don't manage to cast, but when you do, blue fire can be pretty tasty, especially against low toughness opponents. Horrors are also a useful support combat option with the blue horror rule and, with good timing, could link up well with the Thirster in combat.

Other options - you probably won't get a big enough unit of plaguebearers at this points level but they might be worth a try because they don't die quickly. Bloodletters tend to die too easily. Daemonettes might be worth a try but I'm not really sure what their role would be. Generally, I think the daemon core is likely to be very much a tax on points in this size game unless, as theJ pointed out, you have additional casters to back up your horrors.

Mono-god lists are a personal choice and, since this is using End Time rules, multigod fits the fluff far more since the factions have been reunited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kikibobo
03-11-2014, 20:48
I agree with theJ that at this point level you are kind of shooting yourself in the foot by only having 2 spells. The problem is that you really dont have any other alternatives with a thirster at this point level. Breaking them up into two groups of 10 without command will do you better as Rawdogg15 has stated. The additional spell is going to give you the better shot at casting. I honestly dont see a reason to take them in groups bigger than 10 or with any sort of command unless you have a herald with them.

My bigger issue with this list is, what are you trying to accomplish? Are the beasts going to babysit and redirect stuff from your pink horrors? This seems like a list where you are trying to keep stuff off your "gunline" with the distraction of the thirster. In that case, maybe you drop all three beasts and pick up a lvl 2 herald to throw into a unit of horrors and put the rest of the points into some command and additional horrors for that unit. Then you would have 4 spells, a very good cannon, and an in your face cc machine. Its not an amazing list, but I think it solves part of theJ's problem he pointed out

stainawarjar
04-11-2014, 01:03
I don't know, the Beasts are there both to serve as a distraction and chaff/war machine killers, but they're also capable of supporting the Bloodthirster on charges, especially if 2-3 of them can do it together. It's really just intended to be a sledgehammer list to hit hard and fast.

How about Lore of Undeath on the horrors?

kikibobo
04-11-2014, 16:21
I don't know, the Beasts are there both to serve as a distraction and chaff/war machine killers, but they're also capable of supporting the Bloodthirster on charges, especially if 2-3 of them can do it together. It's really just intended to be a sledgehammer list to hit hard and fast.

How about Lore of Undeath on the horrors?

The problem is that 3 single beasts arent going to accomplish much beside only the thirster. The thirster is also nearly twice as fast making it hard to keep up with. I would keep a single beast to redirect and hunt, but idk if I see it doing as much. Lore of undeath might be interesting on a horror. I personally would stick with tzeentch and use "Summon Daemonic Legion" which is the new glottkin spell that all chaos wizards know... that also means you have to classify yourself as legion of chaos and follow all the new rules there... including unstable.

If you want a sledgehammer list, I suggest reworking this as horrors are a gunline-esq list. They are magic artillery. If you combine the beasts into a single unit, they are more of sledgehammer, but I would take drones if you want them to be a hammer and get in the face of the enemy fast. Just thoughts, by no means is what I am saying mandatory or even the right choice.