PDA

View Full Version : Are BlightKings and new Nurgle characters going to be in 9th Edition?

elthran
03-11-2014, 02:28
I am pretty new to Warhammer so I don't know how these campaigns work. Are these just promo models for the campaign or will these most likely be usable next edition? I am just starting a Chaos army and don't want half my army to be not very usable next edition, since I heard it is coming out in the next year.

EvanM
03-11-2014, 02:45
I am pretty new to Warhammer so I don't know how these campaigns work. Are these just promo models for the campaign or will these most likely be usable next edition? I am just starting a Chaos army and don't want half my army to be not very usable next edition, since I heard it is coming out in the next year.

GW is very adamamantly trying to convince people that End Times is not a choice, you have to play with it. Blightkings are legit by all means and there is no way GW would make them non viable in 9th. Thats one thing you can definitely count on from now on: GW will not sell you minis that you will end up not being able to use (at all), however they may sell you things that will get nerfed horribly in the next edition.

Voss
03-11-2014, 02:58

Very likely the models will be usable.* The 40K supplements that came out at the end of last year (Escalation and Stronghold assault) were simply immediately folded into the new edition 6-8 months later. I see that happening again. I'm not quite as sure on the specifics of the ET 'army lists' or the lore of undeath, but especially since the 50% lords was added to the rulebook FAQ, the endtimes campaign seems more like an early adopter surcharge than the traditional 'only lasts a year (effectively)' supplements GW used to do. The models will probably be integrated into the relevant army lists, but that of course could take years, so hold onto the rules for them.

*Caveat here: while the models will likely stick (particularly since everything is plastic, and has the higher initial sprue costs that go along with it, which mean GW wants to keep them in circulation long term) the combined chaos army list may or may not stick, or may well mutate for 9th. If you're buying blightkings for a Warriors army, you're likely almost entirely safe (they will be the nurgle equivalent of bloodcrushers and slaaneshi faster cav- the one unique unit for each god, with tzeentch pending). If you're buying them for a mixed all branches chaos army, I suspect you'll be safe, but am far less certain of that.

Tah Kazak Rik
03-11-2014, 02:59
Storm of Chaos has taught me to be worried that there is a chance that everything will not be considered officially game legal once 9th arrives....

However I think GW will not do that this time around because they are so invested in the End Times stuff. I want to think the best of them this time round.

Voss
03-11-2014, 03:03
Storm of Chaos has taught me to be worried that there is a chance that everything will not be considered officially game legal once 9th arrives....

However I think GW will not do that this time around because they are so invested in the End Times stuff. I want to think the best of them this time round.
It isn't really a matter of thinking the best of them. Storm had few models releases, and none of the storm-specific stuff was plastic. They could afford to toss off the troll slayer warmachine, then throw it onto the fire when it was all over, because it pretty much paid for itself during the duration. With the way they are churning out huge plastic kits (especially huge plastic Special Character kits) they economically can't repeat that sort of nonsense, even with the enormous price gouge on the books soaking some of the costs for the 'event'.

Tah Kazak Rik
03-11-2014, 03:06
It isn't really a matter of thinking the best of them. Storm had few models releases, and none of the storm-specific stuff was plastic. They could afford to toss off the troll slayer warmachine, then throw it onto the fire when it was all over, because it pretty much paid for itself during the duration. With the way they are churning out huge plastic kits (especially huge plastic Special Character kits) they economically can't repeat that sort of nonsense, even with the enormous price gouge on the books soaking some of the costs for the 'event'.

Yeah I guess your right. I did not even think about it in that way. I was much younger back then so that sort of thing never crossed my mind.

malisteen
03-11-2014, 03:31
The general point Voss makes is correct. Plastic molds cost way too much to develop for any of the end times model releases to be short term things. You should be able to count on Nagash, the Glotkin, and all their friends being with us for a long time.

I do somewhat object to the implication that the end times books constitute a price gouge. Hardcover, multi-book sets with slip cases, full of all new art, fluff and rules rather than the recycled content often seen in army books? For 80 bucks, or only 60 for Glotkin? I mean, compare that to any other hard cover game books, like the 5e D&D core books or the like. It's actually quite competitively priced.

Ludaman
03-11-2014, 03:34
The general point Voss makes is correct. Plastic molds cost way too much to develop for any of the end times model releases to be short term things. You should be able to count on Nagash, the Glotkin, and all their friends being with us for a long time.

I do somewhat object to the implication that the end times books constitute a price gouge. Hardcover, multi-book sets with slip cases, full of all new art, fluff and rules rather than the recycled content often seen in army books? For 80 bucks, or only 60 for Glotkin? I mean, compare that to any other hard cover game books.

Agree 100%! The artwork of the bretonnians charging into battle with the Glottkin was worth half the price of the book alone for me :)

malisteen
03-11-2014, 03:37
Yeah, my only major complaint about the Glotkin books are that I can't buy them.

Darnok
03-11-2014, 03:50
'event'

I agree with the rest of what you said, but "The Endtimes" is not an event at all. There is no global campaign or something like it. It is really "just" a set of books with new background and rules, plus a lot of new models.

Concerning the ET specific models: all of them come with the rules in their boxes. Even if the books disappear completely, those models will still be playable.

As for 9th edition: nobody knows. But with GW you really shouldn't consider rules all too much when buying something. Like the models? Get them! If you really are afraid that GW might screw you over with rules in the future: don't get invested in GW stuff at all. ;)

Voss
03-11-2014, 06:45
I agree with the rest of what you said, but "The Endtimes" is not an event at all. There is no global campaign or something like it. It is really "just" a set of books with new background and rules, plus a lot of new models.

To be fair, that was why it was in single quotes, as it isn't an event like storm of chaos, but it does also remind me a great deal of escalation/stronghold assault as the outro to 6th ed. 40k and intro to 7th.
On the other hand, it is a narrative event, and one that seems far more world changing and lasting than what storm of chaos was supposed to be. If 9th edition books don't have repercussions form the End Times given everything that happens (even off camera stuff like Tilea, but also Bretonnia, the Slayer King's army, the Tomb Kings, etc, etc), then GW is going to make the storm of chaos farce look like a minor hiccup.

Though I'd quibble on 'a lot' of models. Even counting the individual models for the units, the detail swaps on the SC trios as individual models and the glottkin as 3, there are 23 in total. Time was if there that few for a single codex or army book release, we'd be sad and disappointed.

Odin
03-11-2014, 09:51
While I'm sure the Blight Kings are a permanent addition, to Warriors at least, I find it rather hard to believe that GW will include all 5 new Nurgle special characters in the next army book. This is especially true if the other gods get a similar treatment somewhere along the line (could be some way off but I hope they do). Perhaps they'll sell the rules individually like they have with Bel'akor?

malisteen
05-11-2014, 17:18
Perhaps. Or perhaps the monster will become a general mount for nurgle characters in warrior and daemon armies, and the kit will go from being three particular special characters to a generic nurgle characters on monster box. Plus, as mentioned, their rules are in the box, if their rules don't change, then they don't have to be reprinted in the next generation of army books to be carried forward.

Odin
05-11-2014, 22:57
Perhaps. Or perhaps the monster will become a general mount for nurgle characters in warrior and daemon armies, and the kit will go from being three particular special characters to a generic nurgle characters on monster box. Plus, as mentioned, their rules are in the box, if their rules don't change, then they don't have to be reprinted in the next generation of army books to be carried forward.

They might if, as is generally expected, the rules for 9th include significant changes.

Urgat
06-11-2014, 06:32
Storm of Chaos has taught me to be worried

And what did Storm of Magic's chimera teach you?
Finecast, yeah, I'd be worried. Plastic, I'm 100% sure they're here to stay.

Jind_Singh
06-11-2014, 07:49
I think too much money invested to see them on away anytime soon