PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf 2000 pt Army, WIP

Ghostbear_100
04-11-2014, 07:59
Been working on the idea of a steady-advance style dwarf army, with some disposable cannon fodder/counter flanking units on the edges

Lords:
Dwarf Lord
Shield Bearers
Rune of Might level 1
Rune of Warding level 2
Rune of Stone (1+ save, figured why not for 5 pts)

Decided to have a tough, fairly killy lord with a slight focus on killing monsters (the rune of might).

Heroes

Dwarf Thane
BSB w/ Master Rune of Grugni (Giving the whole army much better survivability)

Dwarf Runesmith
Shield
Rune of Spell Breaking level 1

Dwarf Runesmith
Shield
Rune of Spell Breaking level 2 (Counter magic and Armor Piercing for units)

Core:

Longbeards
19 strong w/ full command
Shields

Longbeards
19 strong w/ full command
Shields

Quarrellers
10 strong
Shields

Quarrellers
10 strong
Shields

Quarrellers
10 strong
Shields
(These are my disposable speed bumps/harassers/skirmishers, the ones with the shields being slightly more durable, and using up 10 last points.)

Special:

Ironbreakers:
15 strong, full Command. (The Anvil to my longbeards hammer.)

Cannon

Cannon (Strong Artillery support for monsters/hordes/etc)

My battle plan concept was the Ironbreakers joined by the BSB and (most likely) the lord, forming the core of the battle line.

Longbeards would be on the flanks (trying to stay within range of Grungni Standard) joined by the runesmiths to give them even more killing power and magic resist.

Cannons would be in positions to deal with either specific targets (monsters) or enemy artillery/archers.

Quarrellers would be on extreme flanks either moving to block enemy flankers (especially cavalry), protect sides and rear of my combat units, and basically wear down enemy units prior to charging/being charged. Essentially a group of reactionary units to respond to my opponents battle plan while helping to ensure I can follow mine with less interference. Figured having 3 small, cheap units as opposed to 2 larger, well led units would allow me to be more flexible with my movement and deployment.

I don't know if the idea with the quarrelers would work with how small they are, and worry that the Ironbreaker unit is too small to use as an "anvil" style unit, even with the lord and BSB. Those are units I have the most doubt about.

Its not mobile (being a dwarf army of course), and its not terribly shooty (I am saving that for my eventual Iron Warrior army :D ), but to me it has enough balance between survivability, hitting power, and numbers to be a decent force.

Thoughts?

Necronartum
10-11-2014, 16:18
Not bad at all.

Personally, I would put the Longbeards into a single unit and drop them to 30. Use the points to boost the Ironbreakers and give the Longbeards a Stoicism banner. All of the units as they stand are very light on numbers and you'll lose Stubborn and attacks quickly to and concentrated shooting or magic.

Drop the Lord and with the points, take an Organ Gun and rune up your warmachines. The cannons should be doing the monster killing.

Drop the Rune of Spellbreaking x2 (add 1x Furnace) and give both Runesmiths a Rune of Stone.

Give the Thane a shield.

Good luck!