PDA

View Full Version : 40k Wargear Book.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
25-06-2006, 15:37
I am a completist weirdo. I have all the books for Warhammer, and I'm doing the same with 40k.

The trouble is, that ******* Wargear book. It's out of date already! So what was the point. I've not yet bought it, but sooner or later my bizarre compulsion is going to get the better of my common sense.

Eduard
25-06-2006, 16:20
Don't buy it, just pretent like it doesn't excist. Its a waste of money anyway. and with each release it will get out dated even more.

Wargamejunkie
25-06-2006, 16:37
Wow, thats about as bad as my urge to own every book I read.

Rork
25-06-2006, 17:40
Don't do it...almost as soon as it came out I knew it would become dead weight very quickly.

I suspect they will reprint it in a year/18 months leaving a lot of people doubly out of pocket.

Although I own a lot of the codices, I find asking my opponent to see his codex is a reasonable way of finding stuff out ;).

Stillfrosty
25-06-2006, 17:46
Biggest waste of money ever. There were so many mistakes in it it wasn't funny, they forgot every imperial guard tank upgrade for crying out loud. Don't buy it, copy and paste from every book and you have the same thing, minus the really obvious errors.

Despoiler
25-06-2006, 17:46
don't buy it...just don't, it's just not worth it...LOOK INTO MY EYES it doesn't exist....really it doesn't....they're not wargear books on that shelve they're voids in time and space...STAY AWAY FROM THE VOIDS THEY WILL SUCK YOU IN AND YOU WILL NEVER BE SEEN AGAIN! -and you wouldn't want that now would you.

Karesk
25-06-2006, 18:32
Wow, thats about as bad as my urge to own every book I read.

You're not the only one. :(

I haven't bought the Wargear book yet, but as I'm in the habit of purchasing most of the codices, I don't see a point.

t-tauri
25-06-2006, 19:00
I'm in a similar position to you Doc. Just keep an eye on ebay and you can pick one up for a reasonable price. It is very poor though. The idea was good, the execution just wasn't up to it.

inq.covenant
25-06-2006, 19:06
Please please please don't do this. When I first heard the news I thought I was going to be a really cool book detailing the history and the workings of all the wargear in the 40k universe, a bit like the 2nd edition wargear book... but it isn't! It's outdated and a big waste of money. Save your money and just buy codex books - they're getting better in terms of background material and artwork.

DCLXVI
25-06-2006, 19:17
I'm in a similar position to you Doc. Just keep an eye on ebay and you can pick one up for a reasonable price. It is very poor though. The idea was good, the execution just wasn't up to it.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Give it till the Eldar codex is out and you'll be able to eBay one for next to nothing.

Galaspar
25-06-2006, 19:19
I guess i'm in the minority here - i bought it, i take it to most games, and i've found it useful - a handy reference, an interesting read in a spare moment, and saves leafing through codexes the one time in twenty you come up against dark eldar, or whoever else is not common in your area. Yes, the tau part is now out of date, and the eldar part soon will be, but downloading a couple summary sheets will fix that. As for the errors, there's a few, but not enough to render the book unusable.

Gallant
25-06-2006, 22:05
As for the errors, there's a few, but not enough to render the book unusable.

As for information, there not enough to render the book usable.

Melchiah
25-06-2006, 22:16
My only question is why didnt GW see that one coming? When I first looked at it in the store the when i came out, flipped through it and said to the hunched over troll behind the counter "Ummm doesnt thing become out of date as of next Codex?"
He says ummm but you should buy it
:confused: Kids dont under stand their elders and eldars dont understand the youth of today, much like i dont understand GW sales and marketing.

TheOneWithNoName
26-06-2006, 00:02
Maybe GW just wants your money. *Gasp* *Shock*

Tamwulf
26-06-2006, 02:52
Eh. I liked it. I knew it was going to be out of date the minute I bought it. Then again, I've bought a lot of 40K models that go out of date pretty fast and then I end up buying something else. /shrug

Smoking Frog
26-06-2006, 03:08
I have the same thing Mad Doc...

I haven't bought it yet though, I pretend it doesn't exist. The fact that my local GW doesn't stock it helps. :p

But then, opinions vary wildly.

intellectawe
26-06-2006, 04:15
My only question is why didnt GW see that one coming? When I first looked at it in the store the when i came out, flipped through it and said to the hunched over troll behind the counter "Ummm doesnt thing become out of date as of next Codex?"
He says ummm but you should buy it
:confused: Kids dont under stand their elders and eldars dont understand the youth of today, much like i dont understand GW sales and marketing.

Of course GW saw it coming. They are hoping people buy it.

I mean, arent we buying a second cityfight codex this month anyway?

Bookwrak
26-06-2006, 06:44
But Cities of Death is actually useful. With cool and interesting new things. Not to mention 4th Edition.

Although in the Wargear book's defense, I'll certainly say I don't mind my oppent's termies only getting a 3+ armor save, and not evening a Living Metal Monolith can stand up to the Str-510 power of my Kans!