PDA

View Full Version : Sons of Wrath Cover

Dean5150
05-11-2014, 13:55
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/BL_SonsOfWrath_Box.jpg

This appears to be new, can anyone confirm?

Raga88
05-11-2014, 14:24
It's the next First Edition book. Seems cool, just too expensive.

DarkChaplain
05-11-2014, 14:41
65(?)€ for what they used to sell at a bloated 40-50€ without the "First Edition" name sounds awful. They basically used the category to bump of the pricing. And it doesn't seem like it offers any more than, say, Mephiston last year, or Arjac Rockfist's limited edition...

Warhams-77
05-11-2014, 16:00
There is a video about the 1st ed version on the Black Library page http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=feXK8rrroiE Yes, too expensive for what you get

Raga88
02-01-2015, 15:58
Looks like the standard hardback edition is coming too at a friendlier price.
http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/sons-of-wrath-hardback.html

DarkChaplain
02-01-2015, 18:12
At least they fixed the storepage by now. Both the hardback and ebook pages had errors this morning. Heck, they put up the Sons of Ellyrion cover for the hardback :')

But yeah, I wonder if they include any artworks at all with this edition. SMB usually gets some, but then, maybe this time they think they have to keep them exclusive to the First Edition.

Raga88
03-01-2015, 06:55
I guess they will only leave out the character artworks.

Killgore
03-01-2015, 07:29
Did anyone read this? Was it any good?

Brother Hermiad
09-01-2015, 02:24
I read it the other day - it actually started off decently and I thought it would be alright - setting up the emotions/feelings of a new 'chapter' after being divorced from the old legion - I really liked that aspect of it.

When it got into the meat of the story though it lost traction - the 'fleet' the Chapter possesses was tiny and then shredded in no time, the enemy was a bit meh in my opinion, the second chapter that arrived post main event (Eagle Warriors - UM Second Founding) acted in a way that was plausible based on the time frame (ie they were cautious of approaching another new chapter [especially one with the FT's reputation] given the recent events of the Heresy) but then overplayed that. The interaction between the two chapters was also a bit silly, but in keeping with what the 40K equivalent of the Flesh Tearers would suggest.

The end result of that interaction, and in fact end result for the Flesh Tearers just seemed a bit implausible - but then its also one of those things I have issue with in the broader 40K verse:

Basically the FT fleet and most of its attendant warriors are decimated in the early battle with the planetary fleet, and then most of the chapter succumbs immediately to the rage when they hit the ground including going after the loyalist Eagle Warriors - this is helped along by one of Kabanda's (the Bloodthirster that messed up Sangy) offshoots taking over the Librarian and the flagships Machine Spirit (and in turn the vessels captain). The FT end up wiping out the loyalists, and destroying their fleet to cover their tracks so that Guilliman doesn't try and sanction them or declare them traitors - which is basically what they have become.

This all occurs within 10 years of the end of the heresy - so 2 newly formed chapters lose at a minimum a full company (more for the FT plus most of their fleet) of marines in one single engagement - how do they manage to sustain themselves at all for the next 10K years while they are also trying to pacify and rebuild the Imperium and its industries at large following the heresy - its implausible.

I'm a bit negative of most of BL's recent efforts. I realise I haven't been their core audience for a while judging by my reaction to most of their recent stuff. Outside of French, Wraight, ADB and DA, very little I have read in the last year has sold me on the quality of the stuff they are rushing out. The HH, Space Marine Battles, Time of Legends series all started off well with a strong core of writers, but have to my mind turned into a push to rush out more and more tosh, particularly for the prices they think (and obviously do) command for that product.

FlashGordon
11-01-2015, 02:36
I read it the other day - it actually started off decently and I thought it would be alright - setting up the emotions/feelings of a new 'chapter' after being divorced from the old legion - I really liked that aspect of it.

When it got into the meat of the story though it lost traction - the 'fleet' the Chapter possesses was tiny and then shredded in no time, the enemy was a bit meh in my opinion, the second chapter that arrived post main event (Eagle Warriors - UM Second Founding) acted in a way that was plausible based on the time frame (ie they were cautious of approaching another new chapter [especially one with the FT's reputation] given the recent events of the Heresy) but then overplayed that. The interaction between the two chapters was also a bit silly, but in keeping with what the 40K equivalent of the Flesh Tearers would suggest.

The end result of that interaction, and in fact end result for the Flesh Tearers just seemed a bit implausible - but then its also one of those things I have issue with in the broader 40K verse:

Basically the FT fleet and most of its attendant warriors are decimated in the early battle with the planetary fleet, and then most of the chapter succumbs immediately to the rage when they hit the ground including going after the loyalist Eagle Warriors - this is helped along by one of Kabanda's (the Bloodthirster that messed up Sangy) offshoots taking over the Librarian and the flagships Machine Spirit (and in turn the vessels captain). The FT end up wiping out the loyalists, and destroying their fleet to cover their tracks so that Guilliman doesn't try and sanction them or declare them traitors - which is basically what they have become.

This all occurs within 10 years of the end of the heresy - so 2 newly formed chapters lose at a minimum a full company (more for the FT plus most of their fleet) of marines in one single engagement - how do they manage to sustain themselves at all for the next 10K years while they are also trying to pacify and rebuild the Imperium and its industries at large following the heresy - its implausible.

I'm a bit negative of most of BL's recent efforts. I realise I haven't been their core audience for a while judging by my reaction to most of their recent stuff. Outside of French, Wraight, ADB and DA, very little I have read in the last year has sold me on the quality of the stuff they are rushing out. The HH, Space Marine Battles, Time of Legends series all started off well with a strong core of writers, but have to my mind turned into a push to rush out more and more tosh, particularly for the prices they think (and obviously do) command for that product.

Surely it must be set at a time after the Scouring, in the Age of Rebirth (when the legions got split up into chapters)?