PDA

View Full Version : Question about Challenges

Alathir
25-06-2006, 16:27
Just a quick one, can an single character who engages another single character issue a challenge?

Avian
25-06-2006, 16:28
Sure, there is no rule stopping him from doing this.

Alathir
25-06-2006, 16:37
Ok cool, now I'm assuming that means that the character who is challenged can't refuse?

Gorbad Ironclaw
25-06-2006, 16:55
Aye, no where to hide, so can't refuse.

DeathlessDraich
25-06-2006, 17:05
Interesting tactic.
BUT it is only worthwhile if a single character charges a unit of 2 models. The overkills increases CR. Never thought of it.
With 1 v1 - the model is dead - no CR needed!

Alathir
25-06-2006, 17:10
I have a duel intended item on my lord so I was just making sure that he can run around issuing challenges to people that cant refuse them hehe.

ZomboCom
25-06-2006, 18:39
Yes, it's very possible and there are several occasions where it's very useful, such as a wood elf with the annoyance of nettlings.

DeathlessDraich
25-06-2006, 19:13
Yes, of course -magic items which are effective in challenges.

Annoyance of nettlings is aptly named
but the Bretonnian virtues and magic items effective in challenges only is even more annoying:)

Mad Doc Grotsnik
25-06-2006, 20:41
Yes indeed you can. However, generally speaking the only characters of mine outside of Regiments are mounted on big gribbly monsters which fight as well!

T10
25-06-2006, 23:20
BUT it is only worthwhile if ...

Not quite. By making this a mano-a-mano (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_164.html) challenge you can make it less interesting for the enemy to commit further troops to the combat.

If your character is capable of handling a static combat resolution (e.g. by benefiting from a high Leadership and a nearby Battle Standard or being Stubborn), your opponent may be reluctant to commit additional units to the combat as they would be unable to contribute to the outright slaying of the character.

The actual benefit to you would greatly depend on the situation, but it is conceivable that such a ploy could disrupt your opponent's battle plan.

I guess it's part of the mind-game...

-T10

Gorbad Ironclaw
26-06-2006, 04:51
Hmm, actually, depending on the situation, I'd be much more likely to throw in a small unit or two. Static CR always helps, and he just might fail his test. But he only does that if I win, so getting help is always nice. And of course, there are getting to roll multiple times for pursuit. Can also change the direction said character will flee in etc.

All this without the character having a chance of hurting my unit. It's all good IMO :)