PDA

View Full Version : Long Break from Fantasy, wanting to get back in and start Dwarfs. Need some help!

-IronWarrior-
05-11-2014, 18:42
Hey Guys,

As the title sais I'm trying to light the fire on Fantasy and start playing again. Been playing 40k avidly, but I miss the bows/magic.

I want to start a Dwarf Army. The points for an upcoming league kickoff are 1500.

Can anyone whip up a very competitive list at this points cost for me?
I appreciate your help.

Thanks Folks :skull:

kikibobo
05-11-2014, 19:06
Well if you are missing bows and magic, dwarfs might not be for you as they lack bows and magic hahaha. I guess they have guns/crossbows and a few bound spells though : )

What sort of an army were you shooting for (no pun intended)? Dwarfs dont have a TON of wiggle room, but there are some variations depending upon your preferences. Is "very competitive" your only parameters?

Lord Dan
05-11-2014, 21:24
Hello there, fellow Pennsylvanian.

What army/armies did you used to play for Fantasy, and what are your 40K army/armies?

-IronWarrior-
05-11-2014, 21:52
Hello there, fellow Pennsylvanian.

What army/armies did you used to play for Fantasy, and what are your 40K army/armies?

Wood Elves for many years, than Warriors of Chaos was my last army before I called it quits (2 editions ago)

40k I played Blood Angels, Chaos, Dark Eldar and recently have been playing Astra Militarum pretty heavily

Methios
06-11-2014, 08:48
Astra Militarum = Empire i gues :)
If you like bows and magic then mebbe one of the elf books would suit you aswell.

Dwarfs are cool. Cant realy go wrong with it, just stear clear of the orange haired fellows. :)
Be sure to include a couple of gyro copters.

9Niels
06-11-2014, 09:01
You can't really go wrong with dwarfs. You do need some gyrocopters, which give you much needed speed. Even the Slayers have their merits imo, unbreakable is a huge boon, but they are indeed the least ' competetive' choice. Hammerers are the best unit in the book.

russellmoo
08-11-2014, 05:55
Here is the formula for a reasonably competitive dwarf force at any points level-

1 or more Runesmiths
BSB with MR Grungni

2+ blocks of infantry
1+ gyrocopters
2+ warmachines

Once you have the minimum put in place, the rest is mostly preference and tailoring to your playstyle and local meta. Hope this helps.

Fighting Newfoundlander
10-11-2014, 23:15
on your competitive list, I would first worry about core. Longbeards with shield, or warriors with great weapons are probably your best bets. Crossbows and Great weapons are a nice combo as well.
You'll want two cannons and an organ gun as well, and then one elite infantry block, either ironbreakers or hammereres.
Hero's should be as russellmoo says. The Runesmith should have a Rune of Spellbreaking.

Frep
17-11-2014, 19:15
I can't recommend longbeards with shields enough, very durable and once you throw a runesmith in there for armour piercing it does a surprising about of damage in a grind.

Tato
19-11-2014, 00:03
In a comp 1500 pts list you can go two ways (at least!). Kick butt in close combat or go for a gunline.
Here are some rough examples.

1500 Pts – Gun Line
1 Thane (149 pts) General; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Gromril Armour, joins Hammerers
. . . . 1 Runic Armour (Rune of Preservation; Rune of Stone)
. . . . 1 Runic Talisman (Rune of Warding x3)
1 Runesmith (108 pts) Hand Weapon; Gromril Armour; Shield, join Hammerers
. . . . 1 Runic Armour (Rune of Stone)
. . . . 1 Runic Talisman (Rune of Warding x1; Rune of Spellbreaking x1)
1 Runesmith (93 pts) Hand Weapon; Gromril Armour; Shield, joins Quarrellers
. . . . 1 Runic Talisman (Rune of Spellbreaking x1)
15 Quarrellers (195 pts) Hand Weapon; Dwarf Crossbow; Heavy Armour; Shield
14 Quarrellers (182 pts) Hand Weapon; Dwarf Crossbow; Heavy Armour; Shield;
Thane (1#, 153 pts) Battle Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Gromril Armour; Shield (goes with Hammerers)
. . . . 1 Runic Standard (Master Rune of Grungni)
21 Hammerers (380 pts) Full Command; Hand Weapon; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield
. . . . 1 Runic Standard (Rune of Stoicism; Stubborn)
1 Grudge Thrower (130 pts)
. . . . 1 Engineering Runes (Rune of Accuracy; Rune of Forging)
1 Grudge Thrower (105 pts)
. . . . 1 Engineering Runes (Rune of Accuracy)
Total Roster Cost: 1490
Sit back, shoot, dispell any magic and make them come for you. Your shield and Runic Banner should take care of much of the things shooting back at you. GT’s are for monsters and hordes. Crossbows shoot at light chaff, flyers, cavalry. Put your Hammerers a bit in the back. Take on whatever’s left of the enemy with the Quarrelers – with the Shieldwall rule they should stand long enough as an anvil for your Hammerers to charge – with S7 on the charge they are bound to kick the behinds of any CC units left.

Second approach is The Marching Throng. I use it. It’s fun but loses against some unfortunate matchups like evasive WE.

1 Lord (313 pts) General; Hand Weapon; Gromril Armour; Shield, joins Longbeards
. . . . 1 Runic Weapon (Master Rune of Smiting; Rune of Might x1; Rune of Speed x1)
. . . . 1 Runic Talisman (Rune of Warding x2)
. . . . Shieldbearers
1 Thane (168 pts) Battle Standard Bearer; Hand Weapon; Gromril Armour; Shield, joins Hammerers
. . . . 1 Runic Standard (Master Rune of Groth One-Eye)
1 Runesmith (93 pts) Hand Weapon; Gromril Armour; Shield, joins LB’s
. . . . 1 Runic Talisman (Rune of Spellbreaking x1)
1 Runesmith (113 pts) Hand Weapon; Gromril Armour; Shield; joins Hm’s
. . . . 1 Runic Talisman (Rune of Spellbreaking x2)
23 Longbeards (379 pts) Full Command; Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield;
. . . . 1 Runic Standard (Rune of Sanctuary x1; Strollaz's Rune; Magic Resistance (1); Vanguard)
20 Hammerers (345 pts)Full Command;
. . . . 1 Runic Standard (Strollaz's Rune; Vanguard)
1 Gyrocopter (80 pts)
Total Roster Cost: 1491

Your army is Vanguard so you start moving towards thy enemy at once. Longbeards are your stubborn anvil, with AP they are a very good grinder. Hammerers charge in to assist. Killy general is there to kill monsters and challenge any tough guys you might meet in the new ET rules. Gyrocopter kills chaff, light cavalry and withers down pesky hordes.

Montegue
19-11-2014, 19:22
Thane BSB, Great Weapon, MR of Grungni
Runesmith (General), Shield, Rune of Stone, Rune of Spell Breaking
Master Engineer, Rune of Stone, Brace of Dwarf Pistols

25 Longbeards, Shields, Std and Music
10 Quarrelers, Shields, Std and Music
19 Hammerers, Full Command
Gyrocopter
Cannon, Forging
Organ Gun, Accuracy

Tato
20-11-2014, 12:33
Thane BSB, Great Weapon, MR of Grungni
Runesmith (General), Shield, Rune of Stone, Rune of Spell Breaking
Master Engineer, Rune of Stone, Brace of Dwarf Pistols

25 Longbeards, Shields, Std and Music
10 Quarrelers, Shields, Std and Music
19 Hammerers, Full Command
Gyrocopter
Cannon, Forging
Organ Gun, Accuracy
Illegal list since Runesmith can't be a General having a lower Ld than a Thane.

boli
20-11-2014, 13:33
Actually it is legal... whilst you need to choose one of the character models with the highest leadership - the BSB cannot be the general so he has to choose between the master engineer or the Runesmith; both leadership 9

Montegue
20-11-2014, 14:10
Actually it is legal... whilst you need to choose one of the character models with the highest leadership - the BSB cannot be the general so he has to choose between the master engineer or the Runesmith; both leadership 9

What he said. If the LD 10 guy is your BSB, you have to pick someone else. In this case, a Runesmith.

Tato
20-11-2014, 20:38
Hmm, played so many years wrong then. I was under the impression that the General has to be the one with the highest Ld from THE WHOLE army, regardless if it is BSB or not... Never mind, this is a rules issue, don't want to derail the thread.