PDA

View Full Version : CSM Allies?

kingofbadgers
06-11-2014, 12:01
Hi. Im new the world of 40k and warhammer as a whole. Im currently building an army of nurgle CSMs. I have 10 CSMs, 7 plague marines, 5 cultists (+15 yet to build and paint) and a rhino. Its a good start but i want a bit of variation in my troops and vehicles. I dont want an all nurgle army. It looks a bit bland and i would like more variety. Would it work if i added khorne CSMs or similar or maybe some chaos daemons? If i were to go outside the realms of chaos what would be a good choice? Im not 100% sure im gonna stray from nurgle just yet but definately plan to in the future and would be good to have some ideas in place. Thanks KOB.

WarsmithGarathor94
06-11-2014, 12:08
Hi. Im new the world of 40k and warhammer as a whole. Im currently building an army of nurgle CSMs. I have 10 CSMs, 7 plague marines, 5 cultists (+15 yet to build and paint) and a rhino. Its a good start but i want a bit of variation in my troops and vehicles. I dont want an all nurgle army. It looks a bit bland and i would like more variety. Would it work if i added khorne CSMs or similar or maybe some chaos daemons? If i were to go outside the realms of chaos what would be a good choice? Im not 100% sure im gonna stray from nurgle just yet but definately plan to in the future and would be good to have some ideas in place. Thanks KOB.

Some khorne csms could be good the nurgle marines act as an anvil the khorne marines the hammer. Another option could be to get IA13 and ally in some traitor guard

Charistoph
06-11-2014, 14:42
Surprisingly, Necrons wouldn't be a bad ally, either. One of the few convenient allies either have. But Daemons are usually better, both as theme and for Ally rules.

However, if you want to keep a "theme" to your army going, you can always have your Berzerkers be like the Runner Zombies and infected with a berzerker plague.

I should point out that while the rules support things like this, talk to your local group, some groups really don't like the whole "Ally" thing for some reason, even with Chaos.

WarsmithGarathor94
06-11-2014, 14:48
Or you could just use all 4 gods in the army and make it a black crusade force which is what im doing

kingofbadgers
06-11-2014, 15:01
Or you could just use all 4 gods in the army and make it a black crusade force which is what im doing
I did toy with this idea but was worried it might become over complicated for a beginner like myself when playing.

WarsmithGarathor94
06-11-2014, 15:04
I did toy with this idea but was worried it might become over complicated for a beginner like myself when playing.

Yeah it can be complicated remembering which unit has what mark and what each mark does

kingofbadgers
06-11-2014, 15:04
Surprisingly, Necrons wouldn't be a bad ally, either. One of the few convenient allies either have. But Daemons are usually better, both as theme and for Ally rules.

However, if you want to keep a "theme" to your army going, you can always have your Berzerkers be like the Runner Zombies and infected with a berzerker plague.

I should point out that while the rules support things like this, talk to your local group, some groups really don't like the whole "Ally" thing for some reason, even with Chaos.
I did look at necrons too. Would their play style compliment the CSM style of play? I also saw a few people using orks and CSMs together but i dont think i lile that as much. Also have checked with the few local guys i know and theyre happy for me to play with allied armies. A couple of them do themselfs occasionally.

WarsmithGarathor94
06-11-2014, 15:20
I did look at necrons too. Would their play style compliment the CSM style of play? I also saw a few people using orks and CSMs together but i dont think i lile that as much. Also have checked with the few local guys i know and theyre happy for me to play with allied armies. A couple of them do themselfs occasionally.

Necrons do have a few things which complement csm quite nicely however id wait as crons are supposed to be getting a new codex soon

kingofbadgers
06-11-2014, 15:36
What about tau or dark eldar. From the brief research ive done i think they would also work but would be a shaky aliegence rather than a full on joining of armies.

WarsmithGarathor94
06-11-2014, 15:45
What about tau or dark eldar. From the brief research ive done i think they would also work but would be a shaky aliegence rather than a full on joining of armies.

Tau idk about Dark Eldar work best when allied with Eldar lol

kingofbadgers
06-11-2014, 15:48
Tau idk about Dark Eldar work best when allied with Eldar lol
Makes sense i suppose lol

kingofbadgers
06-11-2014, 15:49
After CSMs, tau are definately my favorite looking minatures. But they also look really difficult to paint which is also someting ill take into account because my painting is still a way off what id like it to be.

WarsmithGarathor94
06-11-2014, 15:53
After CSMs, tau are definately my favorite looking minatures. But they also look really difficult to paint which is also someting ill take into account because my painting is still a way off what id like it to be.

I like Tau myself but csm are my fave

Menthak
06-11-2014, 17:28

Tau are actually quite pleasant to paint, the battle suits especially, they're basically all flat planes.

Latro_
06-11-2014, 21:01
Its still CSM but defo grab your self some obiltertors, you dont have to use the GW models (see my log the pyre) you can make up any kinda cool theme for obilts since they are such a 'weird' unit.

CommissarMagoo
06-11-2014, 22:32
You could look at chaos renegades as an allied force. They just came out with a new book too.

kingofbadgers
15-11-2014, 00:07
I picked up some obliterators they look awesome and ive gone for khorne CSMs as my allies. Ive already bought and started work on some berzerkers and i plan on doing a khorne rhino to go alongside my nurgle one then 2 sets of terminators, one nurgle, one khorne. Thanks for the your help guys

The KOB.