PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Army! Please help

ELK1997
07-11-2014, 01:37
Hi all,

I have been playing 40k for around a year now. My only armies are Orks and Eldar. The Eldar were my first and greatest love. In fact, I have at least one of every model in the elder range. Anyways, my friends have been bugging me to start an imperial army for quite some time. They say I'm "a backstabber to the Imperium." They all play different armies, and are too bias for me to want to ask their opinion. I LOVE my elder. Are there any space marine armies that play like elder? I know they are probably closer to each other than elder, but I just wanted to ask. I am open to playing any of the space marine codices (except chaos, of course.) I m also open to playing any of the sub-armies within the normal space marines codex. Also any good units would be helpful too.

Thanks,
Eddie

Charistoph
07-11-2014, 02:01
Imperium play like Eldar? Which aspect, no pun intended?

Dark Angels Ravenwing and White Scars can pull off a Saim Hann style, with White Scars' Hit & Run being closer to the Eldar style.

Guard and Sisters could be more of a Guardian style army.

Inquisition and Scions could operate like an Aspect army.

A Wraith army would be a challenge. Grey Knights or Dark Angel Deathwing can be tough, and so can Legion of the Damned or Iron Hands, but not quite the same way.

Keep in mind, a lot of this is more fluff and theory than actual practice, though. Eldar are just different enough to make this a challenge.

Foulacy
07-11-2014, 02:11
Do the opposite and pick something completely different to your eldar.

ELK1997
07-11-2014, 03:55
Thanks Charistoph. I get what you're saying. And actually, I assumed that none of them played like elder anyway.
I like what youre saying Foulacy. It makes a lot of sense, and I may end up loving how my marines play. I would like to stay in the marine codices, so Guard is out of it. A Scions army does intrigue me, but i'd prefer to stick to marines. That said, any suggestions on what would be opposite of an elder army?

OneMeanDuck
07-11-2014, 04:05
There is only one answer, chaos!

Eldar is my first love and will always be number 1. I have tried to force myself into an imperium army for the same reasons and could never do it. Finally I started CSM/daemons and loved it. Simple solution, death to the false emperor!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir Didymus
07-11-2014, 06:44
Why are your friends bugging you to do an imperial army?

My first guess would be that you're using the current "OP" eldar to pound them into the dust. Perhaps some less cookie cutter lists would do?

Another point is, that you should only ever do an army from a model perspective. So if there are no imperial armies that catches your fancy, then stay away, and don't let yourself get bullied into wasting your money on something you won't enjoy.

That said, I got back into 40K with Daemonhunters, which were the previous Codex: Grey Knights/Inquisition/Stormtroopers/Assassins rolled into one, and I really liked that army for its variation in models and look. Ruleswise its a big expense (one, I'm not falling for) getting it up to date, but its a lot more interesting to see on the table, compared to rows of seemingly identical colourcoded marines.

WarsmithGarathor94
07-11-2014, 06:49
Turn to the dark gods and show your friends the imperial armies are for the weak

ELK1997
07-11-2014, 12:35
Youre correct in saying I'm using the current Eldar Codex (although I started playing when the paperback one was in use). And again, you're right about my pounding them to dust. That said, I do like the overall look of some of the imperium armies. The scions are one of the more appealing of the armies. I also like the space wolves, and Imperial Fists... But I guess I started this article for more of a run down on how these armies worked. I get that theyre all space marines, but I'm assuming that they all play a little differently.