PDA

View Full Version : Chargers maximising contact.

Imperator64
10-11-2014, 10:42
I'm sure my group are playing this wrong. If my charge move and one free wheel can only bring me into contact with a small proportion of the enemy unit (due to something like the proximity of friendly units reducing the space available to turn) then is anything extra done to maximise the contact with the enemy or do we just fight that first round of combat with perhaps only one model of each unit in contact?
Thanks.

Henry_37
10-11-2014, 12:55
So long are you are maximising the number of models in combat from both sides as part of your charge move & closing the door then you're doing it right.
If terrain/friendly units/other reasons mean only 2 files are in combat then so be it, but if more could have been in combat then you (or your opponent) cannot choose to have fewer.

Don Zeko
10-11-2014, 13:11
Henry is right. I'd add that, while you have a lot of latitude on where the charging unit is placed to maximize, the only way you can move the charged unit is a wheel to close the door if it's impossible for the charging unit to close the door itself. You absolutely cannot slide it around to maximize.

Imperator64
10-11-2014, 16:31
Cheers guys. The question comes srom a recent game where I charged some chaff with a big block of slaves. The chargers started right next to another large unit of slaves which meant that they had little room in which to wheel. They were also in such a long formation that that moving them past their neighbours and then wheeling would've required a wheel of more than 90 degrees which I think is against the rules. Right?

hardyworld
10-11-2014, 18:40
I believe (don't have my book with me) that you can wheel more than 90 degrees in a charge move in an attempt to maximize models. I don't see why you couldn't. As long as you follow all the other charge rules (like determining before moving what face of the enemy you need to come in contact with--front/flank/rear, maximizing models in base contact, measuring charge range, closing the door rules, etc., etc.)

Smogg
10-11-2014, 20:55
Ahh no. It is correct that you cannot wheel more than 90 degrees in a charge move. So, this is one of the cases where you may not be able to get maximum number of models into base contact because of the restrictions on the charge move.

Katastrophe
10-11-2014, 21:10
if you have to wheel more than 90 degrees that seems to suggest there may have also been an issue with charge arc

Smogg
10-11-2014, 21:11
yep. or... you could use flyers to charge war machines from behind by doing a fly-over and 180 degree wheel :)

Imperator64
11-11-2014, 11:31
if you have to wheel more than 90 degrees that seems to suggest there may have also been an issue with charge arc
We didn't think about moving forward and trying a massive wheel but I think the size of the two slave units along with the proximity of the enemy would've made it impossible...
I'll remember this for next time to make sure.