PDA

View Full Version : First Dwarf Army List - 2000pts

Manx Wolf
10-11-2014, 12:07
Hey All,

So I've just started to get into Fantasy after long years in 40k. I'm still getting used to rules in Fantasy so I don't understand everything as yet, so if something looks odd in the list, it's probably because I didn't really understand its purpose but chucked it in anyway. But any comments or criticism would be greatly appreciated to push me in the right direction.

Lords
Dwarf Lord - 298pts
Shieldbearers, Shield.
Armour Runes: Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Iron (1 & 2)
Weapon Runes: Rune of Fire, Rune of Fury

Heros
Thane - 158pts
Shield, Battle Standard Bearer
Banner Rune: Master Rune of Valaya

Runesmith - 108pts
Shield
Talismanic Runes: Runes of Spellbreaking (1 & 2)

Master Engineer - 82pts
Dwarf Hand Gun

Core
20x Longbeards - 290pts
Full Command, Shields

10x Quarrellers - 150pts
Musician, Standard Bearer, Shields

10x Quarrellers - 150pts

Special
20x Hammerers - 330pts
Full Command, Shields

Cannon - 125pts
Engineering Runes: Rune of Burning

Cannon - 125pts

Rare
Organ Gun - 170pts
Engineering Runes: Rune of Accuracy, Rune of Forging

Total = 1986pts

I think I've probably sunk to many points into the Lords and Heros meaning there is a lack of bodies on the field, maybe drop the lord to another Thane? or just reduced the runes given to him?

Also, i'm not sure what to do with the small amount of points left, any suggestions? Is this list viable or will it just get wiped off the board?

Cheers in advance :)

Tato
10-11-2014, 12:47
This is a decent list and it shouldn't get wiped, you play gunline and shoot the enemy then try to mop up what's left charging at your lines with a Longbeard/Hammerer anvil & hammer. These days with the new rules you absoluteley need Lords or you will have nothing to deal with all those killy characters and monsters. There a few undoings in this list though.

- MroGromril on the Lord is a waste of points since with Shieldbearers and shield he already has 1+ AS. You want him to kill the big stuff - I use the combination of MRoSmiting, RoMight, RoSpeed on the weapon and RoWarding on the armour. You could also use MRoSwiftness with 2xRoMight if that is to your liking.
- Valaya might look nice nice on paper but is a point sink. Instead take another Runesmith with a spellbreaker. Also give your Runesmiths some ptotection, even a lone shield is better than nothing, add a RoStone and for a measly 8pts you have a 2+ 6++ hero.
- If you are going to stand and wait for the opponent you might want to take MRoGrugni. A RoStoicism is good on Longbeards, there is nothing better than an anvil that is not going anywhere.
- The rune combo on the cannons is illegal (uniqeness failed). What is your idea on the engineer and placing of the warmachines? Is he going to babysit all of them? Placing them all in one place can be a huge risk in case of template based shots and spells. You can drop the engineer, engineering runes are much more cost effective. You don't really need RoForging on the OG, chance of misfire is "only" 1/36. You definitely want the Forging on the cannons though!

Good luck!

Necronartum
10-11-2014, 12:50
Hello fellow Dawi!

Nice to see that you are getting into Warhammer, as opposed to leaving it! Certainly you will find that Fantasy presents a number of new challenges.

So, to the $0.02.

Dwarf Lord - 298pts
Shieldbearers, Shield.
Armour Runes: Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Iron (1 & 2)
Weapon Runes: Rune of Fire, Rune of Fury

At 2000pts, there is almost absolutely no reason to take any of the Dwarven Lord choices. They will almost certainly never make their points cost back. If you do decide to take a Lord, make him purely defensive and give him either a 4+ ward save or 2+ save against Killing Blow. A T6 W6 model with a 1+ save is fantastic until someone with Killing Blow comes along and lops off his head for a cool 250+ VP's. Offensively, he is best taken with a great weapon. You will strike last against everyone. Might as well be at S6. Never take the Fire rune. Most models take a cheap magic item that gives a 2++ save against Flaming Attacks. If you might be facing Ethereal units, Fury is the better choice. If facing Monsters, take Might.

Heros
Thane - 158pts
Shield, Battle Standard Bearer
Banner Rune: Master Rune of Valaya

A Thane BSB should be the staple of every Dwarf list. Never leave home without one. Forget Valaya. Almost always, a 4++ and 5++ against shooting and magic missiles (bubble) will be 100x more useful. Grungi all the way. For me, it has saved more points in Dwarfs than it has cost every game.

Runesmith - 108pts
Shield
Talismanic Runes: Runes of Spellbreaking (1 & 2)

Two of these. Every game. Every. Game. Take Rune of Stone and GW, drop the shield and bung them in blocks. Take the Rune of the Furnace on one of them to satisfy the rune rule 'Rule of Pride'.

Master Engineer - 82pts
Dwarf Hand Gun

These always seem appealing. And in larger games I usually take two. But at 2000pts, these points would be better spend on bodies. He will never make his points cost back.

Core
20x Longbeards - 290pts
Full Command, Shields

10x Quarrellers - 150pts

10x Quarrellers - 150pts

Core is good. Drop the standard bearers on the Quarrellers. If they get into combat. They will get butchered. The best you can hope for is that they hold for a turn. +1 static CR simply isn't worth the points for these small throw away units. Use as re directors that S&S.

Special
20x Hammerers - 330pts
Full Command, Shields

Another must take. I use 21, every game. 7x3 is the best statisically. Stick Grungi in with them, as these boys are about as durable as tissue paper. They will wreck everything. But not before they get wrecked themselves. Avoid units like Witch Elves and other poisoned/low S/multiple attack units - these boys will evaporate before they even strike back. Use them to crush monsters, cavalry and other high save units.

Cannon - 125pts

Cannon - 125pts

Yes. Yes. Read 'Rule of Pride'. Never leave home without Forging on your all of your cannons.

Rare
Organ Gun - 170pts
Engineering Runes: Rune of Accuracy, Rune of Forging

This is your money maker. Fire it and drink tears. Never use it on chaff. Go for high value targets.

Things to Consider

Gyrocopters - Shoehorn these boys in. Never take the Brimstone Gun.

Warriors - Cheap, durable infantry. Give them GW and make them a horde (30 minimum).

Grudgethower - Another tear harvester. Pork Pie plate special and rare infantry. Drink. Another staple in most lists.

That is a fairly short run down (at work), so apologies. Any questions, please ask. Check out Bugmans as well as Warseer for Dawi tips and tricks.

And good luck, Beardling!

Tato
10-11-2014, 13:11
Gyrocopters - Shoehorn these boys in. Never take the Brimstone Gun.
Hah, came back to add the same thing. ;) Gyros from the new book are a gamechanger. U NEED THEM.

But also read this:

At 2000pts, there is almost absolutely no reason to take any of the Dwarven Lord choices.
and since the OP will get two contradicting opinions in two posts I will argue my point, thus OP can make his own decision.
In the new 50% Lord and Hero allowance, you are more bound to experience powerful Lord choices. A 300 pts Dwarf King in a challenge will easily dispatch all but the most dangerous like Nagash or VC Lord with Nightshroud. I have yet to play a game where my Lord didn't pay his points back. I understand the argument against one: you can take a decent Thane for 150 pts and use the rest to get 10 additional Hammerers. It is true. But then again, there are some threaths on the battlefield where 10 Hammerers just won't do, especially now, under End Times rules. Stop! Herohammer time.

Necronartum
10-11-2014, 15:09
Hah, came back to add the same thing. ;) Gyros from the new book are a gamechanger. U NEED THEM.

But also read this:

and since the OP will get two contradicting opinions in two posts I will argue my point, thus OP can make his own decision.
In the new 50% Lord and Hero allowance, you are more bound to experience powerful Lord choices. A 300 pts Dwarf King in a challenge will easily dispatch all but the most dangerous like Nagash or VC Lord with Nightshroud. I have yet to play a game where my Lord didn't pay his points back. I understand the argument against one: you can take a decent Thane for 150 pts and use the rest to get 10 additional Hammerers. It is true. But then again, there are some threaths on the battlefield where 10 Hammerers just won't do, especially now, under End Times rules. Stop! Herohammer time.

Some sound advice.

I think my aversion to Lords is mostly grounded in the fact that I play in a DE "Twin Towers/Pegasus Spam" and WoC "NurgleDeath DP/Disk Lord/Skullcrusher" gaming meta. Either he is butchered by KB/600pt Lords, his unit is demolished and flees or he simply makes an insignificant impact. Against almost all of those threats, more bodies will simply make more of an impact. Mostly because I am completely outmaneuvered and my opponents are always wise enough (and mobile enough) to simply prevent me from bringing him to bear. I have had brilliant fun with a blender Lord (3x Fury) against Woodies who almost singlehandedly tabled them (go Vanguarding Longbeards). But this is certainly not the norm.

I haven't played many games with the new allowance. So perhaps you are wiser in that sense. I have mostly being playing Lizards of late.

Manx Wolf
10-11-2014, 15:27
Cheers for the feedback guys!! Helps a lot.

Yes. Yes. Read 'Rule of Pride'. Never leave home without Forging on your all of your cannons.

Darn forgot all about that! Will change that asap.

As for the Lord conundrum, myself and the group I play with are not that competitive, so having a cool kick-ass lord in the army is a must haha :D Ah didn't realise that he got the 1+AS already with the shieldbearers, I will swap them round later with some of the runes you stated Tato cheers.

Forget Valaya. Almost always, a 4++ and 5++ against shooting and magic missiles (bubble) will be 100x more useful. Grungi all the way.

I did think about that when choosing which banner but couldn't decide in the end and fliped a coin. The group I play with normally field Lizardmen, Vampire Counts and Dark Elves so I thought I might of needed more magical protection.

What is your idea on the engineer and placing of the warmachines? Is he going to babysit all of them?

He was mainly going to babysit the OG, quick question, the warmachine can use his BS, and the rune of accuracy is +1 to hit, so do they stack effectively giving the OG +2 to hit? (I haven't got the book in hand so correct me if I'm wrong) I just see that a great boon for the OG hence the reason taking the M.Engineer.

Would it be worth swapping 1 cannon for a grudge thrower, or keeping both cannons?

Yesssss I wanted to try and fit Gyrocopters in (mainly for how funny a dwarf in a flying bathtub is) but ran out of points. Maybe if we upped are points limit to 2200pts then I could fit 1 or 2 in.

Cheers again for the advice guys, I will post an updated list tomorrow.