PDA

View Full Version : Arrows are not to scale?

Hellsgate9999
10-11-2014, 22:30
I have a skelly warrior box set Vampire counts. I was getting ready to buy some bits from ebay, Of arrows which i think would be awesome thunk into my skelly's shields. However i noticed that the boxset actually come with 2 random arrow's Problem is they are not to scale. They are to big and look a little ridicules in a skelly's shield or armor (IMO of course) My question other then why are they not to scale?/ Is the arrows that come in the Giant box set to scale? I would like to buy it so i can have some battle damage but if they are just as big i would like to not waste my money. Thoughts? advice? Disagreements? Thanks.

I am also having a blast customizing my guys and posing them in different positions however im having trouble getting them to rank up all nice and neat. swords poking other guys in the back and shield touching other swords ect. Is there a trick or a certain position that will help fix this problem? I would hate to have to make them all in the same position shields to there side ect.

Lord Dan
10-11-2014, 22:41
Weapons in Warhammer are notoriously oversized. Take a look at the Bestigors' axes and get back to us about how big those arrows look. ;)

Lord Zarkov
10-11-2014, 22:51
Weapons in Warhammer are notoriously oversized. Take a look at the Bestigors' axes and get back to us about how big those arrows look. ;)

This, apparently it's supposed to make them look "Heroic"; but while that's one thing for swords/axes/etc which do look kind of cool being massive, it's perhaps another for arrows that look like pila. Although I guess truly to scale arrows might be uber fragile.

Hellsgate9999
10-11-2014, 23:24
I can live with giant axes and swords but im not a fan of the giant arrows. So does that mean they are all the same size? they wont be any smaller in the giant boxset?

Son of Morkai
10-11-2014, 23:59
Giant arrows does explain the short ranges... a 150 lb bow can only send one of those monsters just so far...

Lord Dan
11-11-2014, 00:02
I can live with giant axes and swords but im not a fan of the giant arrows. So does that mean they are all the same size? they wont be any smaller in the giant boxset?

Oh, sorry, I missed that question. No, the scales are all over the place. The old Skeleton box had even bigger arrows, the current Ungor box has sword-sized arrows, the giant kit is pretty spot on, etc.

Hellsgate9999
11-11-2014, 02:16
Ok cool. Sorry to make you reiterate, I just want to make sure i understand correctly before spending the money. The arrow's in the giant box set are scale? Or close enough where it doesn't matter so much at least? I don't suppose you or someone else would have a picture of them next to a regular guy? Just for clarification , I don't care if it's scale to the giant, I want them to scale to a regular guy, In specific the vampire count skellys and zombies.

3eland
11-11-2014, 02:54
You could always make them yourself. Thin Plasticard + a paper clip/thin copper wire or Greenstuff + Paperclip/thin copper wire makes great arrows.

Hellsgate9999
11-11-2014, 03:00
Maybe i will try that in the future and only if the giant box set arrows don't do it for me but i am still a Noob at this and therefore scared of trying to make my own arrows. I am going to file this under my notepad though cause that is a brilliant idea.

3eland
11-11-2014, 03:55
I did this up just now to show you how easy it is (for future purposes). I took a for rent sign you get from the dollar store, made a few lines, cut them out. Took the paperclip and bent it up a little, then cut it into pieces. Then simply glue them to the clip and viola! You can even take a knife and score the card so it has lines to mimic feathers.

That being said, check out Empire Archer arrows. They aren't that bad size wise and I'm sure you can find them on ebay/bit stores. Here is the sprue to show you. If you compare them to the bodies you can see they are nicely scaled.

Liber
11-11-2014, 05:10
I am also having a blast customizing my guys and posing them in different positions however im having trouble getting them to rank up all nice and neat. swords poking other guys in the back and shield touching other swords ect. Is there a trick or a certain position that will help fix this problem? I would hate to have to make them all in the same position shields to thereu side ect.

This is a very common problem in Fantasy. How you deal with it is by...dealing with it :D

For example, I did some conversions on my Dwarf Miners, so much so that the standard bearer and champion had things sticking out pretty far behind them - to the point where i couldn't rank the models up. So, I made a point of gluing 2 of my miners farther back on their bases, so there would be room. When ranking, I just remember that those 2 go behind my command.

This is a specific example, normally it will just be a general mess (as I imagine is the case with your skellies). You can either learn how to best rank the unit up (out of all the combinations I guarantee you there are a few that will work) by playing battles over and over, you will start to remember, and have a sense for how to stick the unit together.

The best option however, is to glue blocks or ranks of the skellies together in groups of 3-5. If you only lose 1 model on the unit but they are all glued together you simply use a wound counter like a dice, to show how many were lost. Its really not a big deal, ogre players do it all the time!

mrknify
16-11-2014, 01:12
Plasticard is your friend.

infamousme
16-11-2014, 09:43
I am also having a blast customizing my guys and posing them in different positions however im having trouble getting them to rank up all nice and neat. swords poking other guys in the back and shield touching other swords ect. Is there a trick or a certain position that will help fix this problem? I would hate to have to make them all in the same position shields to there side ect.

What i do is clip all of the different parts from the sprue. Place the parts in piles organized by part type. I will then proceed to build the models one at a time, seeing how they fit on their bases as compared to the other models around them before gluing them down to their base. After gluing the model to its base I then assign it a numerical value. Left to right, front to back starting out 1234.........

Kakapo42
16-11-2014, 10:40

Blue-tack is your friend here. When I made my first ranked Warhammer unit, a regiment of Glade Guard, I dry-fitted together all the individual models in it in the positions I wanted them in, starting with the command group, holding the pieces together with blue-tack. It was an enormous success, and I ended up with a unit that looked good, had an acceptable level of individual posing and still ranked up reasonably well (it's a bit cramped in places, and some of the models end up on a slight angle, but it fits together well enough on a movement tray). That being said, it was also monstrously tedious and very frustrating (especially when one model came apart, bumped the ones next to it apart in the process and started a chain reaction that ended up in an avalanche of blue-tack and model pieces), so the next time around I ended up setting up the command group only, then putting together and painting each model in the unit one at a time and making sure that they all fitted next to each other.

My point is, be patient and make sure you have a good supply of blue-tack (it comes in extremely handy with setting up conversions as well. Or holding something on a base. Or holding a piece onto a model after it breaks off in a freak accident mid-game. Really it's almost a tabletop hobbyist equivalent to duct-tape).

That's actually one of the reasons I like a lot of older models so much - say what you will about those metal infantry models being monopose and static, but they rank up like a dream - I can set up my 20 Eternal Guard (of the metal versions just before the current plastic kit) in almost any configuration with absolutely no problems whatsoever, and character models fit seamlessly into them with zero fuss as well (as opposed to the aforementioned Glade Guard, where my desire for cool-looking positioning has the unfortunate side-effect of causing character models to be an awkward fit at the best of times).

But I ramble. As for the arrows, I can't say I've had that much experience with all of the ones available, but I'd imagine they're all more or less bigger than they should be. I personally don't have a problem with the oversized arrows myself, since larger ones are easier to see at a distance (useful when looking down over an entire tabletop) and, with their thicker shafts, much less likely to break and easier to glue in place.

Darnok
16-11-2014, 11:10
In reality, an arrow is hardly thicker than half the diameter of a finger. If you put this into scale with 28mm models... almost impossible to do. The only arrows in the GW range that are even halfway decent in that regard come with the Empire Huntsmen box (http://www.games-workshop.com/de-DE/Bogensch%C3%BCtzen-J%C3%A4ger-des-Imperiums).

inquisitorsz
02-12-2014, 19:20
I used the arrows from the giant's box with my wood elf glade guard.
They are the perfect size and length and look great strung up in the bows with some thin jewellers wire.
I bought 40 arrows from a bits site for something like $10

ShruikhanTK
03-12-2014, 11:06
haha I still love the dead turkey in that guys hands....like wtf is that guy doing hunting birds while I sent him on a mission to scout and harass enemy forces. Surely I'm not the only one that finds it funny

shredshredxx
07-12-2014, 10:37
Hahahahahahaha what? How have I missed that this whole time?

Welp, I guess there's nothing left to do but sneak a turkey into every conversion I do from now on