PDA

View Full Version : Shard of the Herdstone and Arcane Unforging

godswearhats
11-11-2014, 00:02
With the advent of Legion of Chaos in our local meta, I see a few people taking Shard of the Herdstone and Pink Horror core to generate 4 extra power dice from their core every turn. Naturally, I want to understand how I can counter this strategy, and so I read the Beastmen FAQ.

From the FAQ:

Q: Can the Shard of the Herdstone be destroyed or removed from play in any way, for example by items and spells that destroy magic items? (p94)
A: Yes.

The wording on the Shard of the Herdstone is:

After the deployment zones have been agreed, but before the armies have been deployed, place an appropriate terrain piece to represent the herdstone in your deployment zone.

<remainder snipped as not relevant to question>

So, the question is, if I cast Arcane Unforging on the model who is equipped with the Shard of the Herdstone, assuming it's successful and hits the Shard of the Herdstone after randomizing, does the Herdstone itself get destroyed?

The argument I'm hearing AGAINST this is that the 'Shard of the Herdstone' and the 'herdstone' are two separate things. So you can destory the Shard, but it will have no game effect. In fact, it actually makes Arcane Unforging worse, because you could end up destroying a magic item that has no game affect. Similar items include Fozzrik's Folding Fortress and the Acorns of the Ages, so I guess the same question would apply to them.

Thoughts?

forseer of fates
11-11-2014, 00:53
I would have said no, but if the errata says it can be destroyed then that's that.

Demelain
11-11-2014, 06:33
I would say no, the deployed herdstone is not destroyed, but the spent shard is, it is the same as arcane unforging a spent dispel scroll.
you can remove the shard but nothing happens as it has already been used. the same should happen with all other single use items.

Mr_Rose
11-11-2014, 06:41
Ditto the folding fortress; there is already a FAQ indicating that the building it creates cannot be unforged, IIRC.

furrie
11-11-2014, 06:53
Ditto the folding fortress; there is already a FAQ indicating that the building it creates cannot be unforged, IIRC.
You mean the following faq:

Q: Can Fozzrik’s Folding Fortress be destroyed by spells or
special rule that destroy magic items? (Reference)
A: Only if the spell or special rule activates before it is
placed.

Malagor
11-11-2014, 07:24
Odd ruling IMO.
I would say that you can't unforge the herdstone since you place it right away and it becomes terrain in a way.

Mr_Rose
11-11-2014, 14:16
You mean the following faq:

Yeah, that one. I figure, since they're both items that place terrain, that they ought to be treated the same. Ditto the Oak of Ages, or whatever the wood elf magic tree thing is called this edition.

godswearhats
11-11-2014, 17:34
So, it counts as a one use item and so isn't a viable target when you cast Unforging on the carrier?

SanDiegoSurrealist
12-11-2014, 15:16
With the advent of Legion of Chaos in our local meta, I see a few people taking Shard of the Herdstone and Pink Horror core to generate 4 extra power dice from their core every turn. Naturally, I want to understand how I can counter this strategy, and so I read the Beastmen FAQ.

I am still wondering why a unit of Pink Horrors would generate 4 power dice?
Should only generate 1, the unit as a whole is a spell caster not each model, otherwise there is the potential for generating 10+ a turn!

kikibobo
12-11-2014, 15:22
I am still wondering why a unit of Pink Horrors would generate 4 power dice?
Should only generate 1, the unit as a whole is a spell caster not each model, otherwise there is the potential for generating 10+ a turn!

Yes, but I think the strategy is to fill your core with 4 x 10 man pink horror units

godswearhats
12-11-2014, 23:10
Yes, but I think the strategy is to fill your core with 4 x 10 man pink horror units

Correct. 4x10 Unbreakable Pink Horrors who can keep generating more pink horrors with their attribute lore. Meanwhile, the rest of the list is Daemon Prince, Chimera, Flying Doombull of Tzeentch, Unkillable BSB of Tzeentch, and some other hard hitting stuff.

forseer of fates
12-11-2014, 23:23
Ten unstable horrors wont last 2 secs if caught in combat. But I suppose their not meant to.

Lord Dan
13-11-2014, 02:45
Flying Doombull of Tzeentch
Sorry, the what now?

forseer of fates
13-11-2014, 02:53
Doombull, carpet, mark of tzeentch, top and so on.