PDA

View Full Version : 2,400 Legion of Chaos - Pure Khorne

Void Sorcerer
11-11-2014, 15:33
Hey guys, so my local game store is going to be running a 2,400 point tournament in December and I'm looking to put together a fairly competitive, but enjoyable list to play. With the LoC rules, I thought a pure Khorne army would be pretty enjoyable. Here's what my initial thoughts have put together.

Lords
Skarbrand = 610

Heroes
Wargor
Battle Standard Bearer
The Beast Banner
Mark of Khorne
Great weapon
Heavy armour = 203
(with chaos warriors)

Core
29x Chaos Warriors
- Full command
- Banner of Swiftness
- Mark of Khorne
- Shields
- Halberds = 625

Special
5x Chaos Knights
- Standard bearer
- Musician
- Mark of Khorne
- Ensorcelled Weapons = 245

5x Flesh Hounds of Khorne = 150

5x Flesh Hounds of Khorne = 150

Rare
Skull Cannon = 135

3x Skullcrushers of Khorne
- Standard bearer
- Musician
- Ensorcelled weapons = 254

Total = 2372

Comments/Concerns/Thoughts
- Skarbrand because he fits the theme and also gives hatred to everyone for the Lulz. That said, I'm not sure he's exactly worth the points when compared to a generic Bloodthirster.
- Is the unit of Chaos Warriors too large or too small? Should I reduce to 24 (which means no extra bodies) and place points on a chariot or something for added punch? Or is it too small and will be destroyed by shooty lists?
- Unsure Chaos Knights are the greatest investment. Then again, Chaos Knights also carry with them a fear which strikes to the souls of enemy players. Should I leave them as a distraction and also a power house if used efficiently?
- Flesh Hounds because they will give me a way to get to their Flak or war machines. Is there a better alternative that fits the Khorne theme?

What are your thoughts? What would you change? What would you consider adding, editing, deleting? I am up to fielding most units, so whether it be BoC, DoC or WoC let me know your input!

kikibobo
11-11-2014, 21:11
Skarbrand scares me, personally. I just dont know if its worth the lulz to bring him and give everyone hatred, not to mention he loses "fly". I would say drop down to bloodthirster and snag a few lesser gifts which will still leave you with 100+ points to play around with.

The beast banner + halberds make these guys quite the can opener. I'm curious if it would be better suited to take s/b (more survivability) or AHW (more damage/khorne-like) as you are already giving them S5 which is very impressive on a core. As to the size of the unit, I personally like the 24-30 range as it gives you 6x4 plus a few to take some hits from magic/shooting as you get them into combat

With the extra points, you could throw a sixth chaos knight on the group which would still optimize to deal the most damage. Or you could drop like 1-2 warriors (depending on how many gifts you take with the thirster) and pick up a khorne chariot

This list looks like a blast though! I love CL for making non-nurgle mono-god armies good again

nathan2004
11-11-2014, 21:19
Frenzied units can't parry. It's either Halberds or AHW.

gero_nz
11-11-2014, 21:33
I don't understand

There is no MOK flying Doombull in this list.

Why is there no MOK flying Doombull in this list?

nathan2004
11-11-2014, 22:50
There is no point in giving the Doombull MoK since he already comes with frenzy. But I agree a Doombull with the Armour of Destiny and the carpet makes for a pretty nasty unit. I would personally go for the standard doombull build (Gnarled Hide, Ramhorn helm, etc) and screen him with skullcrushers. Once he makes it into combat, there isn't much he can't take out. I've read of him taking on entire horde units and taking them out. I just got my in the mail last week so I have yet to assemble or paint him yet but once I do, I'll let you know how it goes. I tried playing what I thought was a competitive Mono Khorne CL list that consisted of a Bloodthrister with 2 greater gifts, Exalted hero on Juggernaut with 1+ rerollable, Valkia, 17 Warriors with Halberds full command, 2 MoK chariots, 20 dogs no vanguard, 2 skillcannons, and 4 Skullcrushers full command. This was an uncomp'd list running against a comp'd HE list that didn't include a skillbanner and I lost but to be fair I rolled pretty poorly and he rolled well above average. Mono Khorne IMO is pretty unforgiving and a skilled opponent will exploit your mistakes like in my case. No magic really hurts and the key to victory playing Mono Khorne is landing your charges where and when you want them and trying your best to control frenzy. Good luck man.

Void Sorcerer
12-11-2014, 15:36
I don't understand

What madness is this!? I've never heard of such a thing. Sounds like a bad case of the fuglies prevented the guy from Demon Prince tryouts.
But seriously, how do you build such a thing?

Thanks for all of the input guys. I had not even thought about using two hand weapons on the warriors, but that sounds like a thumping good idea.

nathan2004, thanks for the great feedback. I do recognize that no magic is a huge weakness, but did you find that it's an unforgivable weakness in your game? Meaning that without it you really stood no chance? Or do you think with the right style and good fortune you could have taken him even with the magic handicap?

Also, if I downgrade(upgrade?) to a BT instead of Skarbrand, what do you guys find as the best combo? 2 lessers? 2 greaters?

kikibobo
12-11-2014, 15:42
What madness is this!? I've never heard of such a thing. Sounds like a bad case of the fuglies prevented the guy from Demon Prince tryouts.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I had not even thought about using two hand weapons on the warriors, but that sounds like a thumping good idea.

nathan2004, thanks for the great feedback. I do recognize that no magic is a huge weakness, but did you find that it's an unforgivable weakness in your game? Meaning that without it you really stood no chance? Or do you think with the right style and good fortune you could have taken him even with the magic handicap?

Also, if I downgrade(upgrade?) to a BT instead of Skarbrand, what do you guys find as the best combo? 2 lessers? 2 greaters?

I am notorious for having bad magic phases, so, seeing that weakness, I typically forgo magic. Its not a great strategy as magic is amazing, but if I am not getting my points out due to consistent bad rolls and such, why waste em? With the fact that half your army has a ward save and MR will help, but you could throw a lichbone pennant on the warriors to give them some sort of a save against magic if you are that worried. i think its a bit of a waste, but who knows.

I typically run greater daemons with 2 greater gifts as there is the potential for the 2+ armor save and the default weapons arent bad. I personally am up against an ogre player a lot and the poison d3 wounds nurgle weapon slaughters him. BUT I have been persuaded to the dark side and feel that 4 lesser gifts is the way to go. ASF, 2+ ward on first wound, breath weapon, multiwound 2, impact hits, and +1 to stat are all good whereas the greater gifts can be hit or miss

gero_nz
12-11-2014, 17:55
I'm pretty sure you're able to take MOK beastmen shamans under the ET list - I haven't got my book yet, but the guys from Dwellersfrombelow reckon you can and they know their stuff

That would solve your magic issue

Void Sorcerer
13-11-2014, 20:24
I'm pretty sure you're able to take MOK beastmen shamans under the ET list - I haven't got my book yet, but the guys from Dwellersfrombelow reckon you can and they know their stuff

That would solve your magic issue

I have spent the last 24+ hours investigating this. Results - seems completely legal. I am totally going to shift things around to at least add a level 2 to my list.

Thanks for the input, kikibobo, I really appreciate your feedback. Looks like I'll be downgrading Skarbrand to a BT to find some extra points.

Thank you, gero_nz for the idea with the Doombull. That idea is also almost too good to pass up. But how to possibly fit it all and be balanced!?

I'll let you know how my revisions go and post them here.

As always, additional feedback is welcome if others want to pitch in.

nathan2004
15-11-2014, 01:02

It's not an unforgivable weakness but it's close. There is little room for mistakes when you don't participate in one phase of the game. Playing Mono Khorne, best piece of advice I can supply you is you have to land the charges where and when you want them. If you do this, in my experience you stand a pretty good chance of winning the game. If you don't well Khorne will be pleased still since he's still getting his skulls lol.

daftpunkevo
15-11-2014, 05:41
I don't understand

^This hahaha.
Also lv4 death beastmen sorcerer OF KHORNE and 3xGorebeast chariot

Void Sorcerer
15-11-2014, 06:11
What is the preferred build for flying Doombulls and bray shamans? I've stayed away from my beasts in 8th until now and don't know how I should equip them.