PDA

View Full Version : Blightkings as chosen

Mack
12-11-2014, 01:50
So, I love the models, and the rules "seem" fine, but there are some glaring problems with the Blightkings as an actual functional unit.

Long story short, if I based the Blightkings on 25mm bases and used them as Chosen with MON, would that fly? (I know I would have to arm them all the same, which could be expensive to get enough weapons to make them all identical..Weapon and shield is probably the easiest).

How good are chosen, or would I be better off using them as Blightkings and leaving well enough alone.

Thoughts?

Nubl0
12-11-2014, 02:05
Imo blightkings are far superior to regular chosen, but neither of them compete that well with chimeras or gorebeasts in the special slot. However I still think blightkings can be used as small 5 man groups, or you could go all in with a large group +Festus.

If you should decide to use them as nurgle chosen... all I can say is good luck getting those boys on 25mm bases. Only used my guys once and they did great, admittedly it was the perfect situation in that it was watchtower and they kicked out some empire mooks and proved impossible to remove after.

Darnok
12-11-2014, 07:06
Blightkings won't fit on 25mm bases, simple as that.

Yowzo
12-11-2014, 08:57
Blightkings won't fit on 25mm bases, simple as that.

There's a way around that.

Model them on a 25mm base hanging a bit on one side, then an empty scenic base then the following on a 25mm base, both minis hanging on the scenic 25mm. base between them.

This way the footprint of the unit will be right, and attacks, etc. will be counted per base rather than per mini. If done right it would also look awesome (put nurglings or something if you don't like the base in the middle to be without minis at all)

Same for back ranks

Mack
12-11-2014, 11:48
There's a way around that.

Model them on a 25mm base hanging a bit on one side, then an empty scenic base then the following on a 25mm base, both minis hanging on the scenic 25mm. base between them.

This way the footprint of the unit will be right, and attacks, etc. will be counted per base rather than per mini. If done right it would also look awesome (put nurglings or something if you don't like the base in the middle to be without minis at all)

Same for back ranks

I have messed with it a bit and dry fit them, and they fit, but need a bit of space from some things that hang over, so adding the base in between seems a good idea.

If Chosen though don't offer any significant advantage, not sure it is worth the hassle.

This may be a case of the models being better than the rules, but that is ok, they are too cool not to include in a Nurgle themed list.

Thanks for the input!

N00B
12-11-2014, 13:18
Chosen are not that bad now with the new, better eye of the gods table. Sword and shield Mark of Nurgle Chosen benefit from almost all rolls apart from initiative boost and spawndom.

WSboost takes them to ws7 - being hit on 6s by most non elite infantry. S5 makes them as strong as halberd warriors whilst keeping their shields. +1A is better than mark of khorne AND Mark of Nurgle. +Armour gets them to a 2+ save - very, very nice for infantry. Up to T5 makes these guys nearly indestructible up against most troops (with armour, parry and MoN). Extra ward is relatively weak but a nice bonus in close combat when combined with the sword and shield parry.

In Dark Trees
12-11-2014, 13:58
From what I understand and have seen, Chosen seem like overpriced versions of Warriors--and don't offer enough benefits to justify their prodigious cost. They are still slow and easy to avoid. I've seen people use them as "deathstars," but that's a situational build and hardly seems sporting to me. I think you'd be better using the Blightkings as Blightkings.

I'm a Beastmen player though and have only encountered Chosen from the other side of the table. Take the perspective with a grain of salt.

Mack
12-11-2014, 22:21
My biggest complaint with the Blightkings is they are expensive, also easily avoided, and suffer from losing out on any real rank bonus as well as numbers.

Their other advantages are pretty nice though and make them versatile...assuming they ever get into combat. Still too good looking of models not to use, so I'll leave them as Blightkings!

N00B
12-11-2014, 22:58
From what I understand and have seen, Chosen seem like overpriced versions of Warriors--and don't offer enough benefits to justify their prodigious cost. They are still slow and easy to avoid. I've seen people use them as "deathstars," but that's a situational build and hardly seems sporting to me. I think you'd be better using the Blightkings as Blightkings.

I'm a Beastmen player though and have only encountered Chosen from the other side of the table. Take the perspective with a grain of salt.

I cant gripe about the price vs warriors (in pts terms) too much. 4 pts per model seems reasonable for a roll on EotG and a point of WS, the painful part is them coming out of special and not core.

Seriously, if you want chosen take a look at the models and command group. Cheaper than Blightkings and the models do look fantastic. You can always buy Bitz online to supplement them and make them look more thematic.

Lord Dan
12-11-2014, 23:18
Didn't they use to have higher Initiative, as well?

Yowzo
13-11-2014, 08:43
Seriously, if you want chosen take a look at the models and command group. Cheaper than Blightkings and the models do look fantastic. You can always buy Bitz online to supplement them and make them look more thematic.

Or use AoW corruptors. They have nurgle built-in.