PDA

View Full Version : What to do? How to do it?

Mad Doc Grotsnik
25-06-2006, 20:44
I'm in a total dilemma.

It's time for me to start a brand new Warhammer Army. But I simply cannot decide on what to run with. Various ideas have presented themselves though, from a Beastman force lead by Morghur, to a Sylvania force from Storm of Chaos.

But I cannot decided on anyone force. Please, someone help me make up my mind! Is there a unique/unusual force your fond of? Even one you've come up against in a game.

I don't want a run of the mill force. I like people to remember me by the forces I collect! Oh, and I guess I have a certain penchant for the baddies. No goody little two shoes rubbish for me thankyou!

Falkman
25-06-2006, 20:49
Well, if you're big on tournaments, I don't think Sylvania is a good idea, as they will be made unofficial by GW by 7th ed, and I think many tournaments will follow that lead.

WillFightForFood
25-06-2006, 20:49
I was thinking the "opposites attract" DoW army. Dwarfs and the Manflayers. Johan and Wilhelm and the Cursed Company. Halflings and a Giant!

It's got potential! I swear!

Mad Doc Grotsnik
25-06-2006, 20:51
Frankly, I don't give two hoots about the tournament scene! My armies are all about friendly, but still competivie play. I like my forces to challenge my skills, and to surprise my opponents with something unique and unexpected.

DoW have tempted me in the past, but they just don't look cohesive enough force for my tastes. Plus, without extensive plastic conversions, bloody expensive!

Falkman
25-06-2006, 20:54
Well, an all-mounted Chaos Undivided (or Nurgle) force, with knights, marauder horsemen, daemon cavalry, centigors, furies and chariots would certainly look very good and I guess would be quite unusual.

ebolatheripe
25-06-2006, 20:55
Two words for you.... Chaos Dwarves.

There rules are downloadable from the GW web sight so you can start planning your army immediately. Not many players play them because they don't have a full army book or many new minis, but they are still a very competitive force. They have some unique and powerful units that no one else can have. The models haven't been updated so you can use the old models or convert your own from Dwarves and have a totaly unique army (take a look at the Hell Cannon Crew, for updated references). And they are as bad as they come.

Johnny Bravo
25-06-2006, 23:40
Go Green. You know you want to. Green iz best. :D

lord_blackfang
25-06-2006, 23:58
Gnoblar Horde :D

Chiron
26-06-2006, 01:04
join the Empire! its a mans life, we have everything superior weapons, tactics and manpower as well as religious zealots if your in to that sort of thing and we can tailor your army to your needs, make a gunline and have no fun at all, make a fast moving death dealing cavalry army without having to pray to some watery woman with a scimitar, make one filled with solid blocks of troops to repulse the enemy ranks, or just give your army a bit of flavour by experimenting with miracles of warhammer engineering such as the steam tank or hellblaster

yep, its a mans life in the Empire, join us! :D

just be careful with your halberds, those things break easily in your carry case ;)

StormCrow
26-06-2006, 02:02
Brettonian Peasant Army...no one will see it coming and will be more than happy destroy them

Avtomatik
26-06-2006, 02:35
Sorry for posting an off topic post with no purpose , but that rule about no posting thread's if you dont have any msg on forum's sux.
Please dont ban me or anything , im just trying to write something down and am unable cause of that rule
Cheers

Avtomatik
26-06-2006, 02:36
and sorry for double posting too , it saids i gotta have at least 2posts to be able to post a thread

Bingo the Fun Monkey
26-06-2006, 09:18
^lols

I'll fight my regular urge to convert people to the green side...
There are some really nice armies out there. You mentioned Morghur's army which means you're willing to use a special character based army. I've always been a fan of gorgers and butchers so why not Skrag's army. You like monsters anyway... I guess having 8 unbreakable killing blow machines that can enter from any table edge in 2000 points is a bit much, but what the heck? I'd love to face such an army. I'll take that over an RAF anyday.

A lot of people have talked about but few have done a Barrow Kings army. Again, the possibility for monstrous creations is vast if you are willing to work with Ushabti and Bone Giants.

Pirates have been done to death...(and beyond)

Southlanders using the beasts of chaos rules! No clue how to model, but if I ever figure out how to convert southlanders I'm doing an army of 'em.

Finally, maybe you could do an army that would go well with your Karond Kar themed dark elves...perhaps even with some fluff tie-ins. Maybe a Hung force? Or even...crap, I have no clue.

skavenguy13
26-06-2006, 12:20
Gnoblar Horde :D

Faster than me...

Seriously, you'll be REALLY proud when you have a fully painted (and maybe even converted) gnoblar army. Even more so if you pay much attention to each model. This will keep you busy a long while:D

(apart from finishing it, I speak from experience)

Viskrit
26-06-2006, 14:30
Well, if it's baddies you want, I'd go for perhaps Dark Elves. Lots of versatility there. You could do an army with lots of beasties. You could do a speedy army. You could do an army with human and Asur slaves. Convert them out of the militia boxes or something, and either use the normal DE Warrior rules, or some DoW rules.

Except that, I dunno. Maybe a... Skaven army. They are great fun.

Spudgun
26-06-2006, 20:31
Nobody plays for laughs like clan eshin mate! Running around with a fell blade gives hours of endless will he snuff it? gambling fun.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
26-06-2006, 20:38
Trouble is, someone in our area already uses Eshin...

I want something nice and unique. I couldn't find the Chaos Dwarf rules online, so I think they may have sunk without trace, thus ruling out the evil stunted ones!

I already run with Dark Elves, and although I'm not done with them just yet, I will be taking a break.

Ogres do interest me, but I'm not sure it's enough to tempt me into an army of them. Gnoblar armies....not really my cup of tea I'm afraid...

Dammit dammit dammit. What am I going to do!

Adlan
26-06-2006, 21:26
Heres a few, Both historical and fantsy style
Mongol style Horde: Either pure goblins wolfriders, or DoW Light and heavy cavalry based force.

Force of Troy: DoW list, with pike phalanks galore.

The Tide:Snotling army

Napolionic: DoW again, Light and Heavy cavalrey supporting Crossbow men.

Albion/Norse: Maurauder horde, maybe you could get hold of old Norse minitures?

Norse Dwarfs?

Witch hunting zelot army?

Or maybe experiment with Cathy or Ind? or Dragon Iseles Lizard men?

ZomboCom
26-06-2006, 21:39
I want something nice and unique. I couldn't find the Chaos Dwarf rules online, so I think they may have sunk without trace, thus ruling out the evil stunted ones!

Is it realy that hard to find? It took me about 10 seconds :p

http://uk.games-workshop.com/chronicles/chaos-dwarfs/assets/chaos-dwarfs.pdf

Splagbot
26-06-2006, 21:44
Hi may recognize me from my posts on the GW petition thread, if not, hi, in the Bretonnian army book the timeline mentions a mysterious Knight amassing an army in Moussilon.

Evil Bretonnians, just a thought.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
26-06-2006, 22:02
Is it realy that hard to find? It took me about 10 seconds :p

http://uk.games-workshop.com/chronicles/chaos-dwarfs/assets/chaos-dwarfs.pdf

****. Didn't think of looking in Chronicles.....

And I don't really fancy the Bretonnians...Models just don't do it for me!

grg3d
26-06-2006, 22:19
No one will expect the following
Space Marine Army :confused:
A Fishman Army
A Giant Army
But really...Chaos Army using LOTR Marauders compleat with Elephants for heavy Calvary(similar to ogre's rynox)and you can get them cheep

Viskrit
27-06-2006, 00:45
Mad Doc Grotsnik, there are lots of potential in an Undead army.

You could make Undead bretonnians, I've seen it to good effect.

Undead Greenskins, though that's harder to convert.

A host of ghostly, misty elf spirits.

The possibilities are endless. :)

Morph
27-06-2006, 11:11
Ideas I've had (but abandoned by the wayside)...

An Ogre army, but instead of Gnobblars uses enslaved Dwarves. Or Halflings I suppose.

An evil/corrupted (possibly by Nurgle?) Tree-Spirit force.

A barrow wight army, lead by druids with lots of statues come to life as construct (using the TK rules, not the WD ones)

Any idea on what sort of army style you want? Both from a gaming point of view (fast, shooty etc?) and from a fluff point of view (do you prefer evil armies? comedic ones?)

Alex Under
27-06-2006, 11:30
Want something unique?

Well first thing I'd sort out is a unique land to place the army there. Once you've chosen that, the ideas for the specific army will start to flow. For example, you could go for the Southlands and use the BoC list. Instead of Gors, you could use converted Marauders like Zulu Warriors, lion riders (chosen knights), and even use a heavy converted Giant as a King Kong kind of creature (this all depends of course on your modelling skills that I'm not aware of). Other ideas of standard armies in different backgrounds:

Ind themed Chaos force: Tzaan Gors, Dechala mini (very Kali-like) as your general, simple conversions modelling turbans on your marauders, daemonettes painted with obsidian black skin and typical Hindu motifs and tattoos on their skin...

Light Cav Araby force: Use the DoW rules or even the Empire rules, plenty of Al Muktar's riders, light cannons, simple conversions if you know the basics to GS.

Nippon Vampire Bloodline: Skeletons can be painted and converted easily to fit ANY scheme you can think of. Convert the general from HE or DE skirts, Blood Dragon Heads and some basic GSing and use Perry twins miniatures (great Japan stuff). You can maybe check eBay in case anyone sells the old (very old) Nippon zombies and skeleton samurai.

Well, those are some ideas, hope it helps.

skavenguy13
27-06-2006, 12:00
My DOW skavens seem like a nice project. Using skaven minis to make DOW units (DOW rules). And I can also use them as skaven :p

think of the possibilities... mutated rat-ogres (bulls, maneaters, ironguts, leadbelchers), Nurglitch (sorcerer on horse), warlord on winged rat-ogre (lord on pegasus), pikskavens... loads of fun!

And the cavalry will be some conversion work, whatever way you decide to make them!

Mad Doc Grotsnik
27-06-2006, 18:57
^lols

I'll fight my regular urge to convert people to the green side...
There are some really nice armies out there. You mentioned Morghur's army which means you're willing to use a special character based army. I've always been a fan of gorgers and butchers so why not Skrag's army. You like monsters anyway... I guess having 8 unbreakable killing blow machines that can enter from any table edge in 2000 points is a bit much, but what the heck? I'd love to face such an army. I'll take that over an RAF anyday.

Dammit dammit dammit!

Although I earlier said no to Ogres, I was in my local GW today (what else am I going to do on my lunch!) and I've been swayed.

I've worked out a list, and it's going to weigh in at 250 for 2,500 points...which isn't that bad I guess. Lots and lots of Gorgers, and 2 Slave Giants. This is going to be one army that should keep my opponents on their toes!

Smoking Frog
28-06-2006, 03:40
Brettonian Peasant Army...no one will see it coming and will be more than happy destroy them

Not a bad idea, really... (http://www.golden-throne.com/comics/25.jpg)

My idea is Elite Orcs. Backed up by Ruglud's boyz.

Or a full on Dwarf pirate army. You guessed it, Long Drong...

Something with DOW. An Araby army?

skavenguy13
28-06-2006, 05:55
Well, I found you can make a 2250 points skaven army with only the bataillon and 1 box (and lots of greenstuff) so you could make a big army for very cheap if you plan on doing conversions.

Harry
28-06-2006, 11:33
sounds to me that your trying to shake off your current beardy/cheesy rep (outlined in your dragon thread) by selling out on your favoured big gribblys for a whole bunch of medium to small gribblets. If thats the way you want to go...fair enough.

But have you considered the potential of an orc warlord on a wyvern, Or maybe a forest goblin shaman on a forest dragon. (fit in nicely with the new spider riders) a couple of chariots, a unit of trolls, and a Giant..... with a couple of modest units of goblins...just to make up your core choices. obviously.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
29-06-2006, 01:08
Thing is, I don't have a negative rep really. That thread was spawned from a single whinging little **** who took objection to my Dragon tearing up his entire flank!

I have 6 or 7 regular opponents, and everyone has spanked my Dragon royally at one point or another!

I just like themed and unusual forces. I want to be able to play against an army from the same book, and still manage an interesting game!

Septicus
29-06-2006, 04:22
Go Tomb Kings. I used to have the book and I loved what I saw in it. If I wanted an evil army that is what I would do for sure. Casket of souls, come on man! The TK army is the most evil army in warhammer.:evilgrin:

WillFightForFood
29-06-2006, 04:23
I'm telling you, Opposites Attract DoW army. Not only will no one see it coming, but it's unlikely to look or play like any other army out there. Also, the big bonus is that most of the DoW units could be melded into your other armies to add some variety there.

ebolatheripe
29-06-2006, 09:01
Imagine a Chaos Dwarf slave army. Just the mandatory 3 units of Chaos Dwarves with blunderbusses, an earthshaker cannon and maybe a death rocket. The rest is a huge hord of the most disshuveled, worst looking, chained and beaten green skin slaves imaginable. I can imagine orc boys with the Waaaaaagh spirit beaten out of them. Hobgoblin wolf riders chained to there wolf mounts (so they don't get away;) ). Black Orcs with iron muzzles so they can't yell and get riled up. A Chaos Dwarf hero with a whip, or prod, in a few units to keep them in line.

It's a great change of paces from the normal energetic and enthusiastic fluff themed greenskin armies and adds a few elements that will give your games an interesting new twist.

Come on........You know you want to.

Strictly Commercial
29-06-2006, 10:02
I actually considered a peasant uprising army but as I read the rules I realized I needed two heroes, then two heroes and a unit of knights, etc. By the time you fill it with what you have to have, it looks less and less like a peasant army. Too bad for GW, by trying to steer me into buying what they wanted me to buy, they lost out on the sale of an entire force.

I would still get it if it were just not "tourney legal" but I have too few opportunities to play as it is.

Strictly Commercial
29-06-2006, 10:04
If I wanted an evil army that is what I would do for sure. Casket of souls, come on man! The TK army is the most evil army in warhammer.:evilgrin:
I interpreted them as actually being good. Rising from the grave to combat the evil of Nagash, fulfilling their oath and all that. I guess they could be evil, but the way I read them it seemed otherwise.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
29-06-2006, 17:34
I kind of agree. There is nothingly that evil about the Tomb Kings intentions. They want back what was theirs in the first place, and if anyone tries to stop them, then they will be sent screaming to meet their maker..

Although not precisely good, they'd have to be described as being distinctly Neutral.

Varath- Lord Impaler
03-07-2006, 08:35
Well an army i find fun is always a historical army (being a historian does that to you)

I keep wanting to make a force of the Greek Forces at Thermopylae.

For those who dont know, the greek force included 300 Spartans and 1000 Thebans against about 12 to 15 thousand Persians.

The Spartans held out for a day and a half under constant attack. Xerxes the Persian King then sent out his 10,000 Elite troops (the Immortals) around to attack the rear by using a mountain pass. Under attack from the Front and the Rear the Spartan forces held out for another DAY AND A HALF before dying to a man.

The army would be a unit of 30 Riccos Republican Guard (Spartan Elites) and 4 units of 30 DoW Pikemen. 5 units of around 30ish duellists with throwing knives (Helots) to put in front of your Hoplites, a paymaster to make sure they stay there and Leonidas! A Mercenary General with the Pike of Remas and the Myrmidia Helm.

Wont win games much, but if you lose its fluffy!!

Astromarine
03-07-2006, 09:03
In the Tomb Kings book, there is a description of a specific King that keeps living subjects that fiht side by side with his undead warriors. I think he is modelled after Tutankhamon, all in gold and so on. Think about it. Living, egyptian-like, Khemri. Plus a golden king in an exquisite chariot. The conversions necessary alone would be worth it. :D