PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Trader

Splagbot
25-06-2006, 21:00
I was having a sort out the other day and found my brothers old Rogue Trader book and decided to flick through, the wealth of information was overwhelming and the artwork although basic now was simply brilliant at the time. I never realised just how complicated and unwieldy it was though, although in hindsight I don't know how, as the average time for a battle for us was around half a day depending on how many models we used, which wasn't many as we couldn't afford to buy a lot out of our pocket money.

Now to the point, I started wondering whether other people still had theirs and if they found it as difficult we did. This is my first thread and I hope it at the very least brings a few moments of nostalgia.

Now over to Lufte Huron, the Tyrant of Badab.

IJW
25-06-2006, 21:17
Difficult? Oh yes.

Fond memories of mis-reading the stats for the multi-melta as a following fire weapon - the multi-laser is following fire, obviously the multi-melta is as well. Everything within 24" died. Oops.

Bring back the Marco Cannon, that's what I say!

Splagbot
25-06-2006, 23:49
I second that motion!

d4m0s4n
26-06-2006, 01:15
Difficult? Nope. WRG..now that's difficult.

Rogue Trader isn't all that tough. There are more options in the game but most everything you need is contained in the ref sheets.

Quin 242
26-06-2006, 01:49
RT was definately a better skirmish game than a war game. Anything over a score of models and it got too complicated to play with all the options and wargear and the lingering grenade templates etc...

Son of the Lion
26-06-2006, 02:22
*misty eyed* Ah, those were good days. I remember picking up my first copy of RT just after I started playing Judge Dredd (now there was a complicated game) and being totally blown away by the wealth of imagery and cool ideas/units/equipment. Life has never been the same again....

RT was definately a better skirmish game than a war game. Anything over a score of models and it got too complicated to play with all the options and wargear and the lingering grenade templates etc...

I agree. Small skirmishes weren't too bad, once you have a firm grip on the rules. We would often leave out some of the more complicated rules in larger games. The random equipment charts were a bit of a nightmare:)

Quin 242
26-06-2006, 06:13
I agree. Small skirmishes weren't too bad, once you have a firm grip on the rules. We would often leave out some of the more complicated rules in larger games. The random equipment charts were a bit of a nightmare:)

yeah try and WYSIWYG equipment that you had to roll for a minute before the game... Sheesh!!
Pain in the but cause you had to roll while opponent was able to see what you got to be fair...

Hawkeye
26-06-2006, 07:16
Vortex grenades and Displacer Fields... like Russian Roulette but so much more fun!

I can still clearly remember my first game, teh Rynn's World scenario with card counters from teh back of the book. Watching the marine character simply walk through orks mashing them with his power fist... life-changing stuff :)

Ardathair
26-06-2006, 07:38
Most of the players from my original gaming group, the ones who haven't moved in twenty years, still play RT rules. They took one look at second edition and said nope. Had a chance to play a game a month or so ago even started a thread about it, please don't ressurect it, but you might find reading through it interesting.

RT works much better in a small gaming group whom you know and trust.

Splagbot
26-06-2006, 18:03
I wasn't exactly trying to get people to play it again, far from it in fact, I just couldn't help but get all nostalgic when I flicked through it, all the same it's been a pleasure reading your replies and thanks to those of you who did.

Take it away Lufte.

x-esiv-4c
26-06-2006, 18:18
Hallucination grenades...Nuff said.

sigur
26-06-2006, 19:15
Hallucination grenades...Nuff said.

Enough to raise the post count at least.;)

@Splagbot: Nice move to open such a thread. While I never actually played RT, I like the rulebook very much, mostly because of fluff and all these pictures of squats. Like many RPGs, RT wasn't much before they added all the other books and WD articles (especially the Realms of Chaos books. They are just a joy to read SO much above everything they publish nowadays. Everyone should read those two books, it's just so important to have at least a bit). Everything was just so different back then. GW wasn't a constant pain and the incarnation of "evil coorperation" but a bunch of guys (arts students IIRC) who just do this stuff for fun and add things because they like them and because they're something new and did not rely on demographics about what timmy-8-year-old might like because of the latest summer blockbuster movie.

Splagbot
26-06-2006, 23:00
I've got a question, now before I ask I don't want GW bashing session here, I'm just curious, why do Squats seem to be such a taboo subject on the GW forums?

But your right about RT the background was really in depth, I still take ideas for scenarios and mini campaigns from there, they have to be updated of course.

Now listen to Lufte Huron, the Tyrant of Badab, he speaks the truth.

Ardathair
27-06-2006, 03:07
@Splagbot

The arguements about GW killing off the squats have been long and heated. Start a discussion about them and you get people with very firm views on the subject which fall into two categories.

A.) They're gone, stop beating that dead horse, we're sick of hearing about it. Move on.

B.) They were one of the best races, I've got plenty of GW models now I can't use them:wtf: .

GW's official position, and the position of the mods on GW forums is obviously A.

cailus
27-06-2006, 03:14
A.) They're gone, stop beating that dead horse, we're sick of hearing about it. Move on.

GW's official position, and the position of the mods on GW forums is obviously A.

Buy a Giant. It'll make you feel better. C'mon you know you want to.

Ardathair
27-06-2006, 03:21
Posted by cailus:

How well do they work as Inquisitor scale models?:D Do they have big enough guts to make them work in that scale?:D

Son of the Lion
27-06-2006, 03:28

Is there a new Giant model out then? Maybe they should do an article in WD about it....

cailus
27-06-2006, 03:52
Is there a new Giant model out then? Maybe they should do an article in WD about it....

One can only hope.

cailus
27-06-2006, 03:56
How well do they work as Inquisitor scale models?:D Do they have big enough guts to make them work in that scale?:D

As long as you buy one or ten you can use it for anything.

I personally have 17 of them and use them for a variety of different tasks including for brushing teeth, disciplining the dog, using it as a musical instrument, using two of them as chopsticks, as a jackhammer, as a drink flask etc etc.

Ardathair
27-06-2006, 04:14
Rogue Trader did have rules for making your own race, might try giants. They already have ogres/ogryns.

Have to rename them though; can't just have elves, ogres, halflings, dwarves, skeletons, drow, or giants in space; how about Humungoes.

cailus
27-06-2006, 04:22
What about ProfitObsessedors?

Son of the Lion
27-06-2006, 04:26
Or the Kashg'rabi.

cailus
27-06-2006, 04:44
I like Kashg'rabi.