PDA

View Full Version : How ,uch would you be prepared to pay for a GW tank?

Hlokk
25-06-2006, 21:03
Hi guys

given the last price hike caused tank prices to go up as much as 25%, and following on from this thread:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23724

I thought it would be interesting to ask just exactly how much you are prepared to pay for a GW tank.

By tank, I mean anything which currently retails for £25 UK. This means Leman Russes, Predators, Basilisks, Carnifexes, Imolators, Whirlwinds and so on.

So whats the maximum you'd be prepared to pay? Is GW taking the mick by charging £25 per tank, or do you think their good value?

RampagingRavener
25-06-2006, 21:08
Personally, I've always had this view on GW's pricing:

I want it, so I'll buy it. But as prices go up, I'll buy less of it. So, really, I spend the exact same amount of money as I always do. Just get a little less, and since I already have dozens of unpainted models, that doesn't really bother me. So, as high as the prices go, I'll likely still buy them. Just less of them.

McMullet
25-06-2006, 21:08
I am starting to worry about how expensive GW stuff in general is getting, as most people seem to be, but I'm a total sucker for pretty new toys so I'm sure I'll keep buying them unless I fall on hard times.

god octo
25-06-2006, 21:34
i buy most of my stuff off of ebay. Immoltors can be got for about 10 -15 quid from there, so i save pounds!!!!!

Some guy (UK)
25-06-2006, 21:54
Personally, I've always had this view on GW's pricing:

I want it, so I'll buy it. But as prices go up, I'll buy less of it. So, really, I spend the exact same amount of money as I always do. Just get a little less, and since I already have dozens of unpainted models, that doesn't really bother me. So, as high as the prices go, I'll likely still buy them. Just less of them.

I also have this attitude on prices to a point. Howver, I have a level, a limit. And for me this was the previous levels. I cannot see how 25 pounds equals to a single Leman Russ Tank. How that much money is worth that much plastic. So now, I have switched to Ebay and traders that offer discounts.

Later, Some Guy

Tonberry
25-06-2006, 22:00
Me thinks with all the price rises 3rd party sellers will be booming ^^

Aegius
25-06-2006, 22:02
Well seeing as I buy stuff from forgeworld too, I don't think that 25 for a better quality model is too much(I am talking molding here, not detail.)

Mad Doc Grotsnik
25-06-2006, 22:24
Dunno. Depends how much I want it I guess.

Of course, the sensible thing to do is to buy the most modular kit you can. For example, the Tau Skyray comes with all the bits to make it into a Skyray, Hammerhead or Devilfish. Thus, the cost of that particular kit has to be offset by it's versatility. Even a small degree of modelling skill will see you getting 3 for 1!

Space Marines? I reckon that the Predator is quite good value, as you get two different variants in one box, and with a little tweak here and there, even a Rhino.

Luke
25-06-2006, 23:01
Stopped buying GW tanks just as they hiked the price this april (?) and up till then i was getting them from wargamesworkshop for cheaps anyway.

Now I dont buy GW at all so they can kiss my debit-card goodbye.

Crazy Harborc
26-06-2006, 01:28
I quit buying GW Tanks about 5/6 months before 4th Edition was out. I bought a ready to use Landraider for 38 bucks at a auction sponcered by an indie gaming supplies store.;)

Norminator
26-06-2006, 01:38
I'll still buy them regardless - but only if I need them. From now I've decided it will be more economical to stop collecting as a gamer so much and try to focus on large conversions more, which will cut down on my buying of models quite a bit.

New Cult King
26-06-2006, 07:22
In Australia, they retail for about $50-$65, and I'd only be willing to pay $30-$40.

So yeah, I chose the I don't buy them anymore/ have found a cheaper alternative (please post below) option. I honestly think GW are taking the mick.

Shadowheart
26-06-2006, 07:39
£20 was already too much of a stretch, so at current prices it's not even a question. If I want to blow that much cash on GW minis, vehicles aren't anywhere near the top of the list. Would rather get, say, five mounted Rohan Royal Guards. Better looking and more fun to paint than one tank.

cookiescrumble
26-06-2006, 09:58
I voted for the alternative option although i just buy GW products from an independant stockists.

Sureshot05
26-06-2006, 10:49
Its either e-bay or I've started constructing vehicles using plasitcard, green stuff and a lot of patience.

The first Russ rolled off the construction boards the other day and I'm really pleased with the result. It looks like a Russ, but it completely unique :)

Forgotmytea
26-06-2006, 11:07
When they hit 20 I gave up. Nowdays, as with most of my models, eBay provides :). The only time I order from GW is when I want very specific bits, such as for my Inquisitor Thoth Thelka. Any single model rather than conversion bits, I just head to eBay.

-Forgotmytea

Agamemnon2
26-06-2006, 11:12
I'll be buying a Tamiya Char 1B and making the great granddaddy of all Russes of it. It's sad that even Tamiya, considered to be something of the Porsche of model kits, is beginning to look reasonably priced in contrast to GW.

KingNic
26-06-2006, 11:21
Anyone who is still buying GW tank kits, go down to your local tank modelling shop. Pick ANY 1/35th kit that's even as cheap as a tenner. Look at the size, detail and value on that kit.

It really puts GW to shame. I don't buy GW tank kits any more because the detail is absolutely godawful.

Damien 1427
26-06-2006, 11:32
21.50 is how much I pay, yay for teh interweb. :p 25 is a bit much, but in all honesty you're not going to be packing a lot of them unless you play an Armoured Company.

RampagingRavener
26-06-2006, 13:20
Anyone who is still buying GW tank kits, go down to your local tank modelling shop. Pick ANY 1/35th kit that's even as cheap as a tenner. Look at the size, detail and value on that kit.

It really puts GW to shame. I don't buy GW tank kits any more because the detail is absolutely godawful.

Personally, I'd rather pay more to have a tank with less detail that I can put together and use immediatly, than having to endlessly convert and rebuild a cheaper, more detailed one in order to be able to use it in a game. I don't like converting. I'd rather just get the models thrown together and painted so they can get on-table and in-game ASAP. And I don't mind paying for that.

Major Thom
26-06-2006, 13:55
I simply buy what I want. At $45 or $50 a tank I can afford it. I can even go $60. The reason I'm so price insensitive is that I have purchased most of my armies years ago and really don't need to add much to them.

Bloodknight
26-06-2006, 15:45
I remember that at least the Basilisk got cheaper. I bought mine back in the 90s for 80 DM, which was roughly 40€, now it costs 35.

Griefbringer
26-06-2006, 16:43
I'll prefer building my own out of cardboard. Much more personal.

Estragor
26-06-2006, 21:55
25 is most I would spend on a tank. However I have recently begun to buy my 40K stuff from discount online retailers so make that 20%-25% off retail price thanks :)

Flea
26-06-2006, 22:19
I don't buy tanks anymore. Partly because I don't like using them and because they are far too expensive for what you get.

IMO I would pay 15 max for something basic like a rhino. A landraider or something big and customisable like a carnifex, 25 max.

Luke
26-06-2006, 22:41
*fondly remembers the days when tanks were cheap to buy and were actually useful on the battlefield*

Long live 2nd ed.

*sobs* I'm going to bed now.

starlight
26-06-2006, 22:46
I haven't paid retail for GW in several years and that's above the overall drop in spending from at least $1k/yr to about zip.:( GW just isn't that attractive anymore.:( When I do buy, it's from discounters or second hand.

Money is not the issue, but value sure is.

KingNic
26-06-2006, 23:00
Personally, I'd rather pay more to have a tank with less detail that I can put together and use immediatly, than having to endlessly convert and rebuild a cheaper, more detailed one in order to be able to use it in a game. I don't like converting. I'd rather just get the models thrown together and painted so they can get on-table and in-game ASAP. And I don't mind paying for that.

That's not the point. Yes, the GW kits are easier to throw together than to convert another tank kit, but the tank kits are far far far superior and MUCH cheaper. Why should you pay 200% more for less quality just so that it's WSIWYG? Is it *right* that GW charges 200% more for less quality? No, it's not. As long as people keep paying those prices however, the prices will continue to rise.

Damien 1427
26-06-2006, 23:07
Define "right" in this context. They charge that price, people buy it. It's then the right price, and will continue to be until sales dwindle. Since they've yet to dwindle, the price must be correct.

So other companies produce superior product for lower prices? Fact is, GW seem to be making money off the tanks at the moment, otherwise they wouldn't cost so bloody much.

grg3d
26-06-2006, 23:19
Just voted for other = Ebay, I live in the USA and get the Item(s) I want shiped to me for less than the local GW store. I just have to wait a little longer for my goodies (bought 2 Termie(2 boxs) for $60.00 shiped that means $40.00 savings) did the same thing with ordering, 1 whirlwind ,2 rhinos,1 Razor back!!!

ReDavide
27-06-2006, 00:58
Anything over $35 is above my impulse-buy range, so in that respect GW's tanks are missing out. I still buy them, I just mull over the idea for a couple weeks to make sure my interest in them will last.

And, well, they may be expensive, but in the long run this hobby is far cheaper than other forms of entertainment. A land raider will give me many hours of enjoyment over the course of many nights fiddling with it in my basement during which time I'll be spending *nothing*. A night at a club will just give me a hangover.

Captain Rufus
27-06-2006, 10:11
I just buy die cast metal WW2 tank kits now. 15 bucks for mega high detailed prepainted tanks at Wal Mart.

cookiescrumble
27-06-2006, 10:22
21.50 is how much I pay, yay for teh interweb. :p 25 is a bit much, but in all honesty you're not going to be packing a lot of them unless you play an Armoured Company.

Lol, saying that i just started an armoured company.

Better off buying the battalions, espacially when you can get them for 35. That means you pay a tenner extra for some cadians and heavy weapons.

I bought 3 at this price because i need 3 russes. Gonna resell the other bits on ebay.

The boyz
27-06-2006, 12:51
25 quid is probably at my limit now to what I would be willing to pay for a tank/carnifex etc. I will most likely purchase these items from cheaper online retailers too try and save myself a bit of money.

Marshal Lazarus
29-06-2006, 21:08
Tanks aside, my feeling is that everything has gone beyond my comfortable impulse buy range. Dropping $15.00 after local discount for a rhino was easily justifiable. Heck, even $40.00 bucks for a land raider WITHOUT a discount was comfortable at one time.

Now you're paying darn near $15.00 for a single terminator blister. $60.00 and up for a Land Raider...

The only thing I'm impulse buying is paint. And if I have a choice in comparable colors, it's usually not Citadel brand.

Ebay all the way, baby.

Getz
30-06-2006, 00:42
Considering I've just bought an Armoured Companies worth of FW Russes, you might be surprised that I voted no ore than £25 - but agreeing with others here when they say that compared to "proper" tank kits, GW models are becoming uncomfortably expensive...

I don't mind dropping a little extra money on Resin for the sake of being different, but £25 for a bog standard Russ is too much already...

Mad Doc Grotsnik
30-06-2006, 01:08
No to be funny, but isn't discouragement from Impulse Buying a good thing, fundamentally?

I now properly plan my armies before commencing procurement... Hell, my proposed Ogre force is going to hit my pocket for £250...but at least I know what it will be comprised of!

Marshal Lazarus
30-06-2006, 01:27
Good for consumers? Sure if you like saving the extra money...bad for the company though due to that lost revenue.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
03-07-2006, 19:04
I'd say I'm on my limit now, perhaps if they release a shiny new tank perhaps a little more, but should Leman's go up any more I would only get them off ebay.

Although saying that I'm buying the Battalion box now for my wife's new Traitor Guard army thats comes with a Leman in it to save money anyways.

On a strange note - I ordered some Forgeworld stuff the other day and noticed that the compleate Tank/resin combo deals are currently (or were two weeks ago) priced at around 28. I snapped up a Gryphonne Vanquisher for that price as I had given my Stygies one to my wife for her Traitors, and it came with the tank bits sprue as well which I wondered if they were leaving out for 28. Bargin. I'm pretty sure the Conqueror and the other Leman varients where all about the same... in effect you're paying 3 for the resin coversion. Nice. :cool:

t-tauri
03-07-2006, 22:33
I've reached my price resistance point on tank kits. £25 is just too much. Ebay and discounters for my tanks. Not that I need any more, of course...