PDA

View Full Version : Daemons 2400 pts for tournament

I'm practising for an upcoming tournament, so I'd appreciate feedback and advice. My army is an alliance of Tzeentch and Slaanesh - I've found this list to be somewhat tougher than what it looks on paper. The tourney has moderate comp, such as limiting duplicate special and rare units that cost over 200 and 100 pts, respectively.

Lord of Change
-Lvl.4 Metal
-Exalted Gift

Herald Of Slaanesh
-BSB
-Lesser Locus

Herald Of Slaanesh
-Exalted Locus
-Exalted Chariot
-Lesser Gift

28 Daemonettes
-FC, Flaming Banner

10 Horrors
-Standard, Musician

10 Horrors

5 Seekers
-Standard

Seeker Chariot

3 Screamers

6 Flamers
-Pyrocaster

Burning Chariot

kikibobo
13-11-2014, 13:44
I honestly have not played much with the seeker chariots so that is up to you if you feel they perform well.

I personally hate the new flamers. They just dont perform well for me at all. I would drop them in favor of a herald of tzeentch lvl 2 to plop in a horror group and help get you the big spell on them.

Finally, you might consider putting a banner of eternal flame on the seekers to protect against all the warpflame you might give out. You are taking lore of metal so it might not matter, but just a thought

Everything else looks good and it looks like a pretty good list. Daemonettes perform fairly well for their point cost, better than bloodletters imo.

I think the chariots are pretty nice, though they're both a bit overcosted. They're fast and manoeuvrable. They're also quite weak, but so are many things in my list.

For Flamers, I have some kind of a love/hate affair: I love their manoeuvrability and the fact that I can try and hurt something without engaging it, but I hate their sometimes terrible damage output and that regen they often donate to my opponent's units. For that I have Metal lore and flaming banner on my Daemonettes. Speaking of Daemonettes, they seem to be the weakest link of this army as they are a nice chunk of points and easy to kill. They can't fly away and escape.

That Herald option is pretty sound. At the moment I have a Tzeentch Herald "in reserve". I hope I roll 11 on the magic table and my opponent fails the Ld check, so I could get him for free... :p

Mannfred
14-11-2014, 04:43
Slaanesh Tzeentch is an odd combo not done very much at all...so I suppose there's a surprise factor...

Daemonettes need the ASF locus to become viable, there's no other option, the lesser icon should instead be on the exalted chariot herald to ensure u can safely charge through dangerous terrain. Chariots are just extra vulnerable so I think it warrents it. Problem being a Herald on chariot can be sniped out on 5s and 6s.

Just grab a generic exalted chariot if u want to run one. Save the herald points for an extra lesser gift.

For the Lord of Change I usually run four lesser gifts and make one into the Wand of Whimsy. It's over looked and since he's ur primary caster and dispeller getting a charge on a 5+ is reasonable and u can become a combat monster with just 3 charges - personal flavour :)

The burning chariot I rate; cause its flame cannon can be used into combat. When uve locked something down. I believe u get to move and fire.

Take the soul flayer chariots instead of the regular ones. The extra attacks for wounds done via impact hits is just the extra omph in combat. May even swap the exalted for two of these?

3 Screamers is not enough. A second unit should be there; and u want a few extra models since u got two units of horrors and work that lore attribute.

Don't think it's the easiest list for tournaments.

Slaanesh Tzeentch is an odd combo not done very much at all...so I suppose there's a surprise factor...

I haven't seen it either before. When I started painting Daemons, I just picked the two gods I liked the most and started building from there. I've found this kind of a list to behave like pseudo Wood Elves: I have speed and plenty of ranged attacks - it's just that I can't do fleeing tactics and my shooting is far from consistent. They're incredibly fun to play, though!

Daemonettes need the ASF locus to become viable, there's no other option, the lesser icon should instead be on the exalted chariot herald to ensure u can safely charge through dangerous terrain. Chariots are just extra vulnerable so I think it warrents it. Problem being a Herald on chariot can be sniped out on 5s and 6s. Just grab a generic exalted chariot if u want to run one. Save the herald points for an extra lesser gift.

Choosing of Locus for the 'Nettes is still underway and that's a good point. I expect to see many Elves in the tournament and without ASF, my Daemonettes just can't compete with them. On the other mind, I love all the benefits the lesser Locus grants them, making them very resilient against many spells and effects.

Exalted gift for the exalted chariot, on the other hand, is a different thing. The whole point of the model is to do 2d6+1 impact hits and then force a challenge. If I'm really lucky, I can assassinate important characters and hold up big units all at once. It's a tricky model to use, but it can be absolutely infuriating for the opponent and even game dedicing sometimes. Not to mention it looks gorgeous - I use a lightly converted DE Medusa to represent the Herald on top.

For the Lord of Change I usually run four lesser gifts and make one into the Wand of Whimsy. It's over looked and since he's ur primary caster and dispeller getting a charge on a 5+ is reasonable and u can become a combat monster with just 3 charges - personal flavour :)

Wand of Whimsy was my fave item too when I first started playing Daemons. It's still really good, but I have lately went for the sheer effectiveness of the Eternal Blade. I still really like the 4 lessers-combo and I will surely try it out. If I'm choosing one exalted gift, I will probably keep +1 dispel die and swap anything else for the Eternal Blade. At least this is the initial plan - I still have couple of weeks to improve my list.

The burning chariot I rate; cause its flame cannon can be used into combat. When uve locked something down. I believe u get to move and fire.

I don't think you can shoot into combat with the BC, since there is nothing in its rules that would make an exception to the BRB rules, which prohibit it. It's a darned good model, though, and a staple of my lists.

Take the soul flayer chariots instead of the regular ones. The extra attacks for wounds done via impact hits is just the extra omph in combat. May even swap the exalted for two of these?

Soul Flayer is in my near future painting list, I like its potential in character assassination as it can pump out a load of attacks from it's crew. I don't like it's wider frontage though. I am seriously considering taking a Soul Flayer instead of the regular Seeker Chariot, but we'll have to see. Soul Flayer is rare and over 100 points, so the tournament comp allows me to have only one.

3 Screamers is not enough. A second unit should be there; and u want a few extra models since u got two units of horrors and work that lore attribute.

It is a small unit and I would gladly swap it for two units of Furies if I had the models. Screamers are very expensive and have a low damage output, so I'm a bit hesitant to invest too many points in them. I've never had a chance to get more from the lore attribute, since my Horrors (Glade Guard of my pseudo Wood Elves) are always hanging back, while the Screamers are slashing, hunting vulnerable enemies and redirecting further ahead in the field.

Don't think it's the easiest list for tournaments.

It isn't, but I am counting on my opponent's inexperience with facing it. ;)

Thanks for your comments, guys.

Mannfred
14-11-2014, 06:49
Did not know Exalted Gift lets you pick who you want to challenge out so yes you will very reliably be able to get a Level 4 to come out and die but now comes my concerns...365 points to kill a level 4; is it worth it? Yes you can potentially gain ascendance in the magic phase but a couldn't you just do that without the chariot? Like just a herald on slaanesh steed; even with your bucket load of impact hits; by going into a challenge you won't be able to kill enough rank and file to break a steadfast since you have no ranks and so while you have successfully sniped out a character round two will prove troublesome cause they will just send a champion forward; your herald will kill him and then u lose combat cause your other models cannot participate in the challenge.

Just food for thought..?

Mannfred
14-11-2014, 06:50
Actually sorry i take that back; don't go with the hellflayer; the wide frontage is very damaging.

Check the Fire Thrower rules; there is no mention the template cannot be placed over any friendly models or enemy models engaged in close combat...Stone throwers and Cannons mention it....Bolt Throwers say that you resolve the attack like a regular shooting attack...that logic leads me to believe the Fire Throwers can fired into combat...?

Did not know Exalted Gift lets you pick who you want to challenge out so yes you will very reliably be able to get a Level 4 to come out and die but now comes my concerns...365 points to kill a level 4; is it worth it? Yes you can potentially gain ascendance in the magic phase but a couldn't you just do that without the chariot? Like just a herald on slaanesh steed; even with your bucket load of impact hits; by going into a challenge you won't be able to kill enough rank and file to break a steadfast since you have no ranks and so while you have successfully sniped out a character round two will prove troublesome cause they will just send a champion forward; your herald will kill him and then u lose combat cause your other models cannot participate in the challenge.

Just food for thought..?

Yeah, the challenge Herald on the big chariot is often hard to use, since she is so fragile and costly. However, I intend to use her quite defensively, hanging close to the Daemonettes and always making a combined charge, if possible. The chariot doesn't need to touch many enemy models, since the 'Nettes already have a wide frontage due to their base size.

A Herald riding a normal steed would be a good choice too, and I must consider one.

Mannfred
19-11-2014, 05:31
Soz just got notified today that there's a two roll limit on the gifts table so sadly ur restricted to only two lesser gifts..my bad!!!