PDA

View Full Version : Codex: Xenarch

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Bmaxwell
08-08-2005, 19:56
Is there any fluff you guys want?

Antaeus
08-08-2005, 20:29
No! NO! NO! You do NOT give characters mandatory wargear!

Yes we do, when we want to :)

I'll get some new stuff thought out and written up as soon as I can, spending half my life at the theatre at the moment. It looks interesting Grubnatz, though one of the good things about them at the moment is they're one of the few armies without that kind of option...maybe make them an Elites squad instead? Just a thought, they'd make equally good Sergeant equivalents.

@Bmaxwell: Whatever inspiration gives you, really, will be more than welcome. Maybe soemthing about their expansion from their homeworld?

Bmaxwell
08-08-2005, 20:57
One expainson comeing up

Whenwirteing the fluff for these guys i can't come up with things i just need a idea to work off of.

Bmaxwell
09-08-2005, 03:58
Once the Archs and the Xen had come together to form the Xenarch one major question still remained. Weather to continue there travel amongst the stars and keep there bodies in stasis when they traveled the gulfs of space. Or to Set up a permanent world and start to expanded into the galaxy which they now resided in. but due the pure logistics of containing to wander space it. After much deliberation it was decided that they would stay in this region of space and continue to advance further out to crave them selves a empire. Things went well until they came in contact with a small ork empire. Never imagining that there could be other living creatures in space. And for that reason none of the Xenarch had any weapons. The archs on there travels threw space never needed to attack anything besides mining for minerals and such. The Xenarch retreated and abandoned all of the systems they held except for one the Xenarch birth place. Able to travel much faster then the orks that hunted them. They were able to gain about 6 months before the first Ork craft entered the system. This time they where prepared. The Xenarch defance satellites had a hard time dealing with the Ork space hulk that entered the system. Many xenarch where lost in the open stage of the conflict. For the first time Xenarch war ships had been made small almost all small cruise size but using powerful mass reaction less drives the Xenarch ships where able to turn 180 degrees at any moment. The weaponry of the xenarch ship consist mostly of Ion cannons, electrical currents, and the most powerful weapon of all which has now been able to be use on whole worlds the living Emp Warhead. Specially designed to take out the Ork hulks the Warhead would burrow deep into the hulk and then send off a massive EMP wave that not only disabled all computer on board but also disrupted all bio electrical signals so that most ork would be put directly into a coma then the warhead would explode deep inside the hulk. This weapon was able to defeat most of the orks in the system. There are still few moons that have feral orks on them but for the most part Xenarchs use the orks to train Xenarch Cells for combat.

here you guys go hope you like it also give a little back ground on Xenarch space vessels

TheSonOfAbbadon
09-08-2005, 13:03
Yes we do, when we want to :)

You do NOT give characters mandatory wargear apart from that of the squad it leads!

It's stupid and that's why there are no other instances of this in GW.

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2005, 13:06
wait....I thought characters always recieved mandatory wargear and couldn't buy anything else.

TheSonOfAbbadon
09-08-2005, 13:10
No, they usually are allowed to take some wargear and weapons from the army's weapons and wargear list! Ork Nobs, Space Marine Sergeants, Chaos Champions, Tau Shas'ui, Eldar Exarches, all of them!

Antaeus
09-08-2005, 13:14
You do NOT give characters mandatory wargear apart from that of the squad it leads!

a) Who is the "you" in question here? If it is aimed at those who have submitted units with mandatory wargear for integration into the Xenarch army list, it appears that we already have! Oh no! :eek: ;)

b) Why is it "stupid"? What's wrong with mandatory wargear?

c) Oh no! I'd better saw the Rosarius off my Chaplain models, along with their Crozius Arcana. And those Librarians' force weapons are gonners too :cries:

However, constructive, reasoned contributions are more than welcome: they are even encouraged.

TheSonOfAbbadon
09-08-2005, 13:18
UNITS with mandatory weapons and wargear is OK, but not CHARACTERS.

The point of characters is to add a bit of diversity to the squad to suit that squad's role, giving them mandatory weapons and wargear that is different to that of the squad and not allowing them to take weapons and wargear form the armoury takes away that diversity.

Chaplins and Librarians do have that mandatory wargear, but they can also take other weapons and wargear allowing them to take on a number of different roles.

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2005, 13:20
Hmm. Going to have to side with Antaeus on this one. Simply because of Fluff reasons. Its obvious what a chaplain will have, a space marine sergeant is a little more nebulous. The Xenarch are a very single-tracked race and each cell has a specific task to perform. To deviate from the pre-determined path would lead to ruinous results and therefore what wargear the Unit-characters do have is going to be extremely limited.

my 2 cents.

Antaeus
09-08-2005, 13:22
You make a good point: however, remember that the Armoury when finished will be much bigger than it is at this stage, and characters will likely have access to other weapons and wargear once we (that is, everyone working on this project, I hope yourself included) have come up with and discussed them. Characters may appear limited just now, but later on they will have many more options to add variety, though as x-esiv states we should not go overboard to prevent abuse :)

TheSonOfAbbadon
09-08-2005, 13:31
Well I'm leaving the project, then, if you're going to be stupid.

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2005, 13:34
No hold on, there is no reason to get tied up over this. TheSonOfAbbadon, explain your position, Antaeus the same and we will come to an amicable comprimise ok?

Antaeus
09-08-2005, 13:37
I'm not sure I really have a position, as such. I'm just not sure what's 'stupid' about giving characters mandatory wargear *shrug* I welcome TSOA's thoughts and opinions, I just think more civility towards other people's ideas (why not say "I think it would be better if.." instead of labelling things "stupid"?) would make for more productive, and above all fun work.

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2005, 13:40
Standed. Abbadon, why are you so against giving characters mandatory wargear?

TheSonOfAbbadon
09-08-2005, 13:40
It would be better if we gave characters the ability to choose weapons and wargear from the armoury.

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2005, 13:42
Ok then, what about allowing characters to have a limited choice from the armoury? Items that are "Characters only" so to speak. What do you guys think of this?

Antaeus
09-08-2005, 13:43
@TSOA: I don't mind that, as long as it's gear that fits the character's role: I like the idea of 4 or 5 pieces of unique equipment for each character type, with minimal crossovers. We aren't suggesting giving them no options whatsoever ;)

TheSonOfAbbadon
09-08-2005, 13:45
What wouldn't they be allowed access to?

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2005, 13:46
Well, the Controllers will have access to wargear that others won't because their upgrades will only work on the Stalkers. Things like that.

TheSonOfAbbadon
09-08-2005, 13:51
I'm still not in favour of this idea, space marine devastators are a purly long-range heavy shooting unit, but their sergeant can still have a power sword and plasma pistol if he wants to.

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2005, 13:55
Hmmm, good point there. Antaeus, what kind of wargear would you restrict?

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2005, 14:03
NEW ENTRY ++

=][= Code Vermillion =][=

//..Xenarch - - Sighting.

Rogue-traders have spotted a new Xenarch craft and have compiled it onto a datafax.

NAME: Falchion Landers Pts/model: 30

Unit Size 1-3 / transport capacity 8

Armour: 10/10/10

Weapons: Twin-linked death-arc

Special: FAST, SKIMMER

Falchion landers have to be bought in co-ordination with troop cells. For example:for 2 infantry cells and 1 shadow reaver you have to buy 3 Falchion landers. They do not have to keep coherency with eachother.

thoughts?

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2005, 16:24
Here is a exert of some fluff that myself and a buddy of mine worked on.

"Guy meets the Xenarch"

Xenarch fluff

For thousands of years tales of the Xenarch were are Rogue traders folly. Their existence never proven, no artifacts were ever brought to light and no one had ever made contact with the Xenarch race.
Seth Bainton, a prefect, was leading an excursion team to the galactic north. His exploration fleet entered unchartered space. Bainton’s purpose was to map the area for Imperial expansion and thusly his goal was of paramount importance to the imperium. 8 months after breaching the unknown he stumbled upon a planetary anomaly. His fleet entered a solar system designated as M331-Omicron 6. The first planet in the solar system was a full 3 AU’s in diameter. Bainton had made a remarkable discovery. Although the planet seemed to be a gas giant the augurs reported otherwise. True enough it was a failed star with a solid core however there were regions of high mass, which turned out to planets. To verify the augurs readings Bainton ordered servitor scout fleets to move into a closer proximity to the planets. Baintons knowledge of astro phenomena lead him to believe that something was a miss. The planets seemed to be in a stable orbit and were not falling to the center of the failed star. As the servitor fleets approached the outer most regions of the failed star, Gellar shield warnings whaled and shields were raised as if they were transcending warp flight. Bainton orders the fleets to remain stationary and not to proceed deeper into the core. For several weeks Seth and his most trusted officers worked tirelessly in finding ways to penetrate the nebulous region without raising Gellar fields. They concluded that it wasn’t a warp-anomaly but actually a region of highly charged particles. Raising the Gellar magnetic fields would disrupt the flow and allow them safe passage into the field. Bainton realized why the particles were charged to such a degree. The stable orbit of the planets generated the massive charge. After this discovery, Bainton returned to wondering why the planets could remain in stable orbit. His engineers and scientists worked tirelessly and concluded that localized gravity wells were allowing the planets to orbit without effort. This was a sign of engineered intelligence. The Astropath upon Baintons flagship messaged a communication asking for reinforcements. Within weeks a squadron of Corba class destroyers and the dauntless light frigate, the “Flame of Enlightenment” came out of warp-space and joined the excursion fleet. Commander Eingarde was given a full briefing of the discovery and it was decided that they would proceed with caution. Augurs and sensor nets were constantly being disrupted by localized, manufactured gravity wells, which impeded travel. It seemed that whenever a craft penetrated the nebula, a well would open up and pull the ship back out.

The fleet was a loss of what to do. No contact had been made yet there was certainly intelligence acting within the nebula. Bainton rigged a torpedo upon the “Flame of Enlightment” with a sensor net instead of a warhead. His reasoning was that a torpedo would travel much faster and perhaps penetrate the strata of the nebula further then a ship could. A full week of modifications later, the torpedo was launched at an oblique angle into the nebula. Bainton and his crew watch the data pour in as the torpedo made it’s way. Sensors registered a bounce-back seconds prior to the torpedoes destruction. Seth realized that the nebula was indeed hollow.

Bainton concluded that there was indeed a higher intelligence at work. One that was able to reaction to an action with a very high degree of sophistication. An intelligence that can manipulate gravity fields and has an extensive understanding of particle physics. Bainton would then send a passive sensor block through the nebula hoping that it couldn’t be targeted by the intelligence. The block was launched at an acute angle so that it would skim through the wall of the nebula and pass into the hollow space before entering the nebula again. The sensor block was small enough to be mistaken as just a meteor.

Since there was no active electronics the sensors passed harmless along it’s path and exited the nebula with a wealth of data to be collected by a servitor ship. Bainton and his crew watched in amazement as the images and readers were compiled. What they saw would burn into their memories for the rest of their lives.

A system of 3 planets were orbiting a white-dwarf star. Moons mottled the planets haphazardly. They saw enormous gantries hanging in orbit of the planets along with what seemed to be massive manufacturing stations, and ships, thousands of ships. The probe had entered the hollow space at a point close to one of the planets. It recorded the presence of water on the planet along with massive mechanical activity.

Eingarde didn’t share Baintons amazement of the unknown and instead send a message to fleet command along with the discovered data. Eingarde requested backup of larger Imperial ships capable of large-scale space conflicts as well as exterminatus. As this was being done Seth’s ship’s sensors which were more attuned to local disturbances picked up a gravity ripple, so slight that it could only be detected if one was looking for it. After the ripple a sensor-servitor captures an image of a small probe like craft on the outskirts of the nebula. The craft appeared to be in the shape of an extruded cut diamond with arrays and batteries of facetted spikes adorning the front half of it, a very malicious sight. The probe seemed to absorb all light, the only way it could be seen is through analyzing the geometries of the light that wasn’t bouncing back.

Bainton coveted the knowledge of the probe and reported nothing back to Eingarde who was waiting the arrival of the attack fleet. Seth communed with his most trusted comrades and decided that the actions of Eingarde were not in the interest of the adeptus mechanics. Bainton decided that they would need to establish contact with these life forms to learn more about them and gain insight into new technology.

The probe with seemingly no form of propulsion accelerated towards Seths flagship at an alarming speed. Moments later the probe collided with a bulkhead causing depressurization in several compartments, soon after the ship’s systems begin to crash and fail. Servitors shut-down and all telemetric data vanishes. Eingarde’s ship detects an impact and begins to log data and scan Baintons craft. He becomes aware that an alien vessel has comprised the hull and immediately orders gun batteries to hone in on the excursion ship.

Bainton recovers from the impact moments before the holoscreen flickers to life. A three dimensional map is project into the air showing the locations of the Imperial fleet, the nebula and a small moon in orbit around the outskirts which is now coming into view. The planet flashes red and coordinates appear. Crewmen take note of the co-ordinates just as the display flickers off and power is restored to the ship. Meanwhile Eingarde targets the excursion ship with a battery of Lance cannons and opens fire. The beams of deadly light curve around Baintons craft harmlessly. Truly this is work of the foul Xenos.

Eingarde ordered the launch of a wave of torpedoes, as the Lance cannons had no effect. Upon launch, the warning sirens whaled into life and monitoring servitors detect a small corvette sized vessel emerging from the deadly nebula. The “Flame of Enlightment” was brought around to begin attack of this newcomer. The Xenos craft was composed of sharp angles, dark and smooth. It’s geometry was so alien and facetted that monitoring servitors couldn’t pinpoint any strategic areas for targeting. The silent monster drifted at incredible speed without the use of boosters or engines. As quickly as it appeared it opened fire. Spears of super-dense plasma stitched across the prow of Eingarde’s dauntless. Dozens of decks were instantly compromised and the spine of the dauntless was beginning to buckle. A second volley penetrated the core and pierced the plasma generators crippling the ship in a matter of minutes. Eingarde never got a shot off. As quickly as the craft emerged it vanished back into the nebula.

Meanwhile the excursion vessel is on course to the moon and all the controls were locked out. No matter what the crew did there was no changing the on-going course. After a day’s travel the excursion ship is brought into stable orbit around the moon. Bainton and a unit skitarii make-land fall on the desolate, barren surface of the moon near huge alien artifact. What looked like giant tendrils of crystal snaked around the base of a massive oval, flat amphitheatre. In the center of the shear amphitheatre stood a facetted conical tower directed towards the nebula. Amidst the alien architecture stood an archway bearing a facetted dome and angular columns. Bainton and his team walked through the archway and the dome began to resonate. Seconds later a rich dark purple beam pierces the cloudy banks of the nebula leaving nothing but dark space, a passage that beckons them forward.

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2005, 17:24
I'm putting the codex through a bit of a revision it will be:

XENARCH REVISION 1-3

I'll send the updated version on Friday to everyone.

Bmaxwell
09-08-2005, 18:10
hmm thats a interresting piece of fluff.

I'll work on a convorsatain piece between a Inq and a Xenarch

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2005, 18:12
I'm reforming what the Xenarch look like, will send the fluff over as soon as it's done.

Think of points of energy that can inhabit machines and mechanisms, sort of like a transhumanistic approach.

Also, Seth Bainton is a member of the Ad-mech exploration team not an =][=. However you could write a piece on a contact between an =][= and the Xenarch, perhaps a prophet or something.

Bmaxwell
09-08-2005, 18:25
thats fine just send me a PM of the changes.

yea that was the idea some how a inq was able to set up a chat with the prophet.

x-esiv-4c
09-08-2005, 18:27
ah yeah that sounds good Bmaxwell. A radical Xenos inquisitor or perhaps a puritan?

warlordgrubnatz
11-08-2005, 19:24

the imperial guard officer is equiped with a las pistol and close combat weapon

nuf said

x-esiv-4c- nice fluff.
i would make the falchion landers more than 30 points, i would say 50 pts.

Antaeus
11-08-2005, 19:39
Hmmm, good point there. Antaeus, what kind of wargear would you restrict?

I don't know, since we don't have any yet :p Combinations which would be exceptionally powerful, or which wouldn't make sense from a Xenarch background perspective. I think they should be a fairly restricted force in general, hence giving characters unique and/or mandatory wargear (I like 'and'.)

Bmaxwell
12-08-2005, 00:43
of crouse it would be radical

TheSonOfAbbadon
12-08-2005, 14:28
Maybe we could give each character a small list of stuff they can take, the heavy weapons character can take another heavy weapon, the close combat character can take one close combat weapon of a certain type and a pistol etc.

Bmaxwell
12-08-2005, 19:40
X have you made the changes you want to the Xenarc yet im waiting on that to start the story

have we thought of what to use as modles for these guys?

warlordgrubnatz
12-08-2005, 19:50
no ideas for the models.
i would just give certain wargear 1 per army, oor use officer only items.

Antaeus
12-08-2005, 20:35
Well, character wise, we have the Prophetic Deep, the Prophetic Zero, and the Prophetic Eden. So far we have the Guardian Suit for the Deep. The Eden needs some stuff to enhance his control over nearby Stalkers, the Zero stealthy items and/or short-range combat enhancements. One idea-

Optimised Targeting Array: The character adds +1 to all To Hit and To Wound rolls with both shooting and close combat attacks.

Might help the Zero out.

TheSonOfAbbadon
12-08-2005, 20:59
I think that an optimised targeting array wouldn't help with wounding anyone, and it wouldn't help in close combat.

The Xenarch should have a mastercrafted weapon wargear upgrade, though.

Antaeus
12-08-2005, 21:04
I disagree, actually. Picking out weaknesses in opponent's defences is as good a case for +1 to Wound as +1 to Hit imho. And if it was integrated into and in some way augmenting their general combat abilities (hand-eye coordination, etc), I can't see why it wouldn't help in close combat as much as with shooting. We shall see though, 'tis just an idea at this stage.

TheSonOfAbbadon
12-08-2005, 21:28
Close combat is too quick and brutal, if you stand there trying to find a weak spot in your opponents armour, you'll get smacked. Alot.

And picking out weaknesses in the opponents armour has nothing to do with +1 to wound, but it has everything to do with -1 armour saves.

Antaeus
12-08-2005, 21:36
Close combat is too quick and brutal, if you stand there trying to find a weak spot in your opponents armour, you'll get smacked. Alot.

And picking out weaknesses in the opponents armour has nothing to do with +1 to wound, but it has everything to do with -1 armour saves.

Ah, but this is alien technology, that could do the assessment and target weakness location for you :)
And I was talking about finding anatomical weaknesses rather than simply gaps in armour :) To Hit, To Wound and Saving throws aren't directly keyed to any real-life effect of a piece of technology in any case (hard point to explain). That, and 4th edition doesn't have save modifiers. Nice, original effect. I like it :)

As much as anything else, I was looking for the effect more than the equipment's name: everything we have is badly named.

TheSonOfAbbadon
12-08-2005, 21:41
I doubt you could find anatomical weaknesses through 5 inches of ceramite.

And I know that the tergeter could do the assessment for you, but it wouldn't do it very quickly and the prophet wouldn't always have time to hit that area nor would it have the ability to hit that area everytime in close combat.

AcolyteLouxman
13-08-2005, 11:37
could someone please send me the new list/fluff etc. ive been reading the posts with interest but its difficult to keep up without a list to look at.

my address is mongeese@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers
AL

warlordgrubnatz
13-08-2005, 12:07
how about this,
stealth sniper upgrade: the stealth sniper upgrade modifies weapons to fire a longer ranges so the user may snipe victims from far distances 15pts
adds +12" to any long range weaponry the user is equipped with.

TheSonOfAbbadon
13-08-2005, 14:13
How would a sniper scope make a gun have a longer range?

Antaeus
13-08-2005, 17:49
@grubnatz: Nice idea, original and interesting. I like it :) Might be a good upgrade for some units too.

@TSOA: In background terms it might not give it a longer physical range, but I can easily see how it would give a weapon a longer effective range, ie the firer can make a decent shot at further away targets :)

TheSonOfAbbadon
13-08-2005, 18:54
That would give it a +1 to hit or a reroll to hit, NOT a longer range.

Antaeus
13-08-2005, 19:06
First, and most importantly: can you please show some civility and reason towards other people's opinions. Disagreeing is one thing, but please show some more respect for what other people say. An "I reckon" here, an "In my opinion" there, would make me, personally, far more open to accommodating your views.

On the point: I look at it this way. An example: a gun has a 24" range, but that doesn't mean the bullet/beam/missile/whatever stops at 24" (to scale, obviosuly ;)). It goes further than that, and it would be possible for the weapon to hit a target further away, but such a difficult shot that it isn't worth considering in game terms. This is a result of 40K's simple, skirmish-oriented rules system: quick and simple. However, a weapon with a this scope would allow you to pick out a target at a longer range (the way I look at it, anyway-it's grubnatz's baby.)

I can see where you're coming from, but 40K's rules aren't designed to cover every little facet of realism: the obvious thing to think is that a scope should make you more likely to hit a target, and generally that's true, but it's a quick, simple rules system.

And since it's grubnatz's idea, I think he has a clearer idea of what he wants fgrom it than anyone else does. I just think that the idea makes sense: a scope that makes it easier to hit far away targets. Sweet :)

TheSonOfAbbadon
13-08-2005, 19:16
A scope that makes it EASIER TO HIT far away targets. The gun's range is its effective range, not how far the person can get a decent shot with it.

If you want an extended range then why not have an upgrade that makes the bullets have small rockets in them and therefore go further, but a sniper scope just makes it easier to hit things.

warlordgrubnatz
13-08-2005, 20:35
okay to avoid these pedantic arguments i renamed it stealth sniper upgrade, this would include a scope lengthened barrel and if necisarry diffferent ammunition, but it is the same rules.

x-esiv-4c
15-08-2005, 13:46
Update guys.

Myself and a buddy of mine talked the fluff over last week on what the Xenarch actually are. Here is what we came up with:

The Xenarch command no real physical presence. They are a swirling mass of consciousness without any affect upon the physical realm. The do not function as individuals but as a network. Each entity shares experiences and intelligence with each other, this mesh makes up the Xenarch society, a sentient amalgam of thought and being.
They maintain their presence on the physical plane by the use of "Manifestation cages" which allows them to inhabit a tangible space. The cage may act as the core of a Xenarch battle-suit. They can impant their consciousness into any system that has an integrated Manifestation Cage and therefore a Xenarch being could very well be used to inhabit and control a vehicle, infantry armour, star-ship systems etc etc.

On appearance.
Xenarch armour looks fairly similar, being an Infantry cell or Shadow-reaver etc. Their armour is composed of dark, facetted and angular plates, interlocking with an unusual harmony. In manifestation, they present themselves as bi-pedal humanoids.

more indepth fluff to follow.

x-esiv-4c
15-08-2005, 13:47
Please remember that when you update the codex, save it as a higher revision number please.

Thank you.

Bmaxwell
16-08-2005, 20:38
Aslo one thing that I think would
1. explain why the xenarch haven't been wiped out by imperuim or other wise
2. is just badass

is that they to some extant can easily infect any computer like program with soem sort of virus now i don't think this could be repersented on the battle flied execpt for (mabye) prophets. but by doing this then can get away form large battleships and fleets

so how do the Xenarch travle though the void of space? faster then light travel? can they even enter the warp?

x-esiv-4c
16-08-2005, 21:56
I'd prefer to stay out of the warp, perhaps some faster then light travel?

Why haven't they been wiped out? Because of their reclusive nature. Bainton only found them out by pure chance, perhaps they only reside on the galactic rim, hidden in these manufactured nebulae.

They cannot infect a computer program but if the computer had a manifestation cage, then they could interface with the computer.

In their unmanifested for they would be like "Guilty Spark 343" from halo.

Bmaxwell
17-08-2005, 01:19
okay I see what your saying. hmmm

Faster then light travel would make sense prehaps they can even use worm holes?

now how many Xenarch would it take to pilot lets say a crusier class ship?

how big are there shisp gonna be?

x-esiv-4c
17-08-2005, 13:13
Ships are quite small, since they only need to "upload" themselves into the crafts computer it doesn't need much physical space.

As for space travel, it's been made known that they are familiar with the manipulation of gravity fields and therefore can probably travel by jump gates caused by gravitational singularities.

How many Xenarch to pilot a crusier class ship? Hmm good question that. Perhaps somewhere between 30-40 ?

warlordgrubnatz
17-08-2005, 13:57
30-40 sounds good. I think they should have the grav-jump-gate thingy mo bob.

x-esiv-4c
17-08-2005, 14:31
Yeah.

To visualize what a Xenarch infantry cell battle-suit would look like, imagine a Protoss Zealot, without the organics and a lot more angular armour, skinnier too.

Damn I wish I had a scanner.

Bmaxwell
17-08-2005, 18:15
Thats kind of what I had in mind. know can the Xenarch like the Replicators in stargate sg-1 access other peoples minds? or have them come abord there ships?

x-esiv-4c
18-08-2005, 14:18
Xenarch can't access peoples consciousness, they can't "infect" organs so to speak.

Bmaxwell
19-08-2005, 03:01
okay just trying to get a feeling. now the whol suti of amour is one compelte thign is there something for some reason teh suit of amour gets damaged that teh xenarch could leave thet body in something to hold is consciousness or would it just get sent back to the mother ship and put into another body

Wiseman
19-08-2005, 08:49
im interested in joining this project if its alrit?

x-esiv-4c
19-08-2005, 13:20
im interested in joining this project if its alrit?

You are more then welcome! Glad to have you aboard!

x-esiv-4c
19-08-2005, 13:23
okay just trying to get a feeling. now the whol suti of amour is one compelte thign is there something for some reason teh suit of amour gets damaged that teh xenarch could leave thet body in something to hold is consciousness or would it just get sent back to the mother ship and put into another body

Good question, i've been pondering this one myself. This is what i've come up with:

During combat, if a Xenarch manifestation cage is to become comprimised that causes enough trauma, the Xenarch consciousness will be obliterated and gone. However if the damage is small enough the consciousness can be "harvested" later by Xenarch controllers or Prophets and saved....Meh.

The latest revision I have ( loads of updates ) is 1-4 I will send them to people who want it please PM me.

Bmaxwell
19-08-2005, 14:23
okay and Im figureing that it the part that acauttly holds the Xenarch is inside there chest and proply has some powerful sheilds/armour protecting it or would it be in the head

just seems like a bad idea to me to put yourslef in a spot where peolle are gonna want to shoot and can't be protected to well

x-esiv-4c
19-08-2005, 14:57
Yeah the manifestation cage would be in the chest.
This validates their 4+ armour save ( which is fair in 40k ) The armour is to protect the cage.

warlordgrubnatz
19-08-2005, 16:01
we could have a certain "we'll be back" rule that alows xenerach to be re harvested and re spawned.

Antaeus
19-08-2005, 16:06
Had a thought for a piece of equipment for the Eden, to act as a vehicle upgrade-type thingummy.

Avatar Field: Generates holographic projections of nearby units, confusing the enemy and making he Xenarch forces seem more numerous than they actually are.

Friendly vehicles within 6" count as Concealed. In addition, friendly units within 6" count as twice as many models for purposes of Outnumbering in close combat.

x-esiv-4c
19-08-2005, 17:35
Can't really do the WBB rule, it's more of a fluff thing anyway. People might cry "TEH CHEESE"!

Antaeus, did you get version 1-4 ?

warlordgrubnatz
19-08-2005, 17:48
is ver 1.4 available- send it me

x-esiv-4c
19-08-2005, 17:49
What is your email addy Warlordgrubnatz?

TheSonOfAbbadon
19-08-2005, 18:03
May I see the version 1-4? You already have my e-mail.

warlordgrubnatz
19-08-2005, 18:14
piesrgr8@msn.com

Antaeus
19-08-2005, 18:16
Antaeus, did you get version 1-4 ?

I did nut..could you not just Reply to an email I've sent you before? Or is that what you did? I certainly don't seem to have it.

x-esiv-4c
19-08-2005, 18:22
don't have your addy could you PM me or something?

Antaeus
19-08-2005, 19:55
Reading it now: looks excellent, and I like the compromise on the Death arc :) Also some nice new wargear I hadn't seen before. Great work particularly on the Controller stuff: maybe make a couple of them Prophetic Eden only? Lovely stuff though. If we can get that much individual wargear for each type of Prophet, we will be cooking with gas :)

warlordgrubnatz
20-08-2005, 11:21
looks cool with a capitol k.

Bmaxwell
21-08-2005, 04:21
It seems to me after reading the army list and the fluff in the new codex. The Xenarch could be a very religoius people. aslo could we some how mention that they where created by a great race (old ones or something) as a attemp to make a race of sentinet computer prgoamrs for the lack of a better phrase

Kensai X
21-08-2005, 04:33
Am I allowed to join this project...? Or it it too late?

If I can you post it here,(or PM me) and send the list to...

JustinChisholm@hotmail.com

Antaeus
21-08-2005, 09:47
There's no restrictions or anything: just chip in with whatever ideas you have :) I'll email you the latest Codex (I'm aiming for the title of Project Secretary :D)

Shas'o'Fior
21-08-2005, 13:04
can soemone send me the list? looks interesting.....
battle.of.thermopylae@gmail.com

Bmaxwell
21-08-2005, 19:20
Yea that was something I was thinking about should we have a few people that are in Set i guess postions for lack of a better term fo this thing?

just my 2 cents

x-esiv-4c
22-08-2005, 14:27
Well, we are going to need a list of participants to throw into the codex for the "Thanks" part!

Now, I like the idea about them being created by the old ones but for what reason, and why do they maintain a lack of natural physical presence?

Wargear from the controllers? Yeah, switch it to the Eden...good idea.

Bmaxwell
22-08-2005, 16:17
prehaps as a fail safe since they really don't techcialy exist in this reality but for sure not in the warp mabye they were meant to fight chaos. Or be Guardians of some massively powerful artfacit another but very unlikely ideas that the Xenarch where made to be servants to the old ones but they rebeled and thats why the old ones are no where to be found now. just some ideas I had

This got me thinking with the psyhic powers i was under the impression that they weren't really psyhic but just techonogly being used by the xenarch or was i worng

Can Xenarch Be courrpted by Chaos?

AcolyteLouxman
22-08-2005, 17:20
I thought the C'tan were resposible for the little issue of the lack of old ones... probly wrong though, i'll look into it.
AL

TheSonOfAbbadon
22-08-2005, 17:49
prehaps as a fail safe since they really don't techcialy exist in this reality but for sure not in the warp mabye they were meant to fight chaos. Or be Guardians of some massively powerful artfacit another but very unlikely ideas that the Xenarch where made to be servants to the old ones but they rebeled and thats why the old ones are no where to be found now. just some ideas I had

The Old Ones created the Eldar, the Orks, maybe the human race, the K'nib, and thousands more races. I would suspect alot of them rebeled. Especcially the Orks.

This got me thinking with the psyhic powers i was under the impression that they weren't really psyhic but just techonogly being used by the xenarch or was i worng

Can Xenarch Be courrpted by Chaos?

I'm confused, I thought Xenarch were a species like anyother but their minds were that of a robot who, long ago, sperated his/her conciousness into Arch eggs.

Now it seems that they're mini-C'tan. What are they?!

If they are a pure energy being like the C'tan, then chaos corruption and warp powers are impossible. If they are spirts from the warp then they are corruptable and would have great psychic powers.

x-esiv-4c
22-08-2005, 17:57
Negative TSoA, They are simply floating masses of consciousness that have to integrate into a manifestation cage to affect the physical realm. As for being corrupted by chaos? Perhaps, but then you have to define why they have the capacity to corrupt.

Perhaps they were created by the ancients and since they lack any natural physical presence, excellent guardians against the Tyranid invasion since they cannot absorb them into their biomass.

TheSonOfAbbadon
22-08-2005, 18:00
Well, apparently they're mini-C'tan, so they can't be corrupted and cannot use and psychic powers. Well, there goes the psychic Prophets with all that chain-lightning goodness.

x-esiv-4c
22-08-2005, 18:07
Mini-C'tan? Not sure I follow you. We haven't concluded that they can't use psychic powers. And C'tan don't really die do they? These lads will pop-off if you stick 'em with a mass reactive warhead just like everyone else :)

Also....a Toughness of 2 makes them never un-C'tanish.

Bmaxwell
22-08-2005, 21:20
well X decied he wanted to change the Xenarch fluff background its his project but im glad he kept the prophets that I made up

The reason where haven't decied is that it would change the xenarch very much if they are acutally conncected to the warp or not.

If they can well they would be allmos pure warp engery

but if there not well there very werid and we would have to figure it out either way it is a very intersting topic

x-esiv-4c
23-08-2005, 13:11
Ageed Maxwell. Do you think you can make up some more indepth fluff about the Prophets? Now, is warp energy "evil" so to speak? Because it seems that the Xenarch are pretty neutral.

Bmaxwell
23-08-2005, 16:19
Fine by me can I have Free range or would you rather them be good evil or neutral?

x-esiv-4c
23-08-2005, 17:40
Well, they are the leaders of the Xenarch, perhaps devious but altruistic nonethless. Neutral, however calculating and cold perhaps.

Go nuts!

Bmaxwell
23-08-2005, 21:27
give me some time working on 2 scripts for school hich take priorty (starts next week need to have them done) but i will def work on this one hard

Wiseman
24-08-2005, 07:25
can the codex be sent to me so i know where its up to, diddimz@hotmail.com

Jim_skarrj
24-08-2005, 11:22
Hey everyone this dex sounds really cool id love to help unfortunately im doing final exams now and have no time (sorry guys) but id love to see a copy of the dex so far... could some one please send it to me?..

Jim_is55@hotmail.com

Antaeus
24-08-2005, 11:31
Copies despatchified to Messers Diddimz and Skarrj (sounds like an Estate Agent firm in a Bond movie or something..)

x-esiv-4c
24-08-2005, 13:09
My work on it is going to be somewhat blotchy, classes start today and i'm taking continuum mechanics....and thusly my life destroyed.

Shas'o'Fior
24-08-2005, 13:10
hmm...just a comment on the codex...maybe rename the controller upgrades, and make em more technological, and create another type of upgrade, thats more powerful, but unique (maybe 1 per army?) more character, I believe

x-esiv-4c
24-08-2005, 13:31
and create another type of upgrade, thats more powerful, but unique (maybe 1 per army?) more character, I believe

Not a bad idea. Suggestions?

warlordgrubnatz
24-08-2005, 14:50
I have thought of a possible creation reason for the xenerach. It is going with the artifact protection and highly religious ideas.
...No one other than the xenerach know why hey are here or what pupose they have. They do in fact have a homeworld of sorts. It is a caseless shell of a world were no sentieint life could exist but deep inside this rock were the planets core once was is the dak'a'ri temple. Inside this sacred temple is the dak'a'ri itsslef. This is a large casket containing an object of great evil. If this object was unleashed its user would have the power of the gods and the xenerach race would instantly cease to exist.

The xenerach belive that while this casket remains unopened their race can never die. No one has ever found the world as it moves. It is prt of an asteropind feild and protected by a powerfull stealth generator sheild. Even the xenerach can't find this worl save the great profit. The great profit embodies all three forms of the other profets and is encased in a glorious cage.

is this any good, its sort of a pandoras box idea. The great profit could be a special character- he would look a little like the tomb king bone giant but more metal and with guns.

Wiseman
24-08-2005, 14:55
looks very good so far, ill have some suggestions when i wake up in the morning though

Bmaxwell
24-08-2005, 17:23
Prophet you mean warlord?

hmmm I like the Idea as being a sort of myth with in the Xenarch. well got some other stuff to do today (I hate cleaning!) but when i get that down i'll give a little more low down on the Prohpets

x-esiv-4c
24-08-2005, 17:26
Personally I would like to stay away from the "essence" of the Xenarch being evil. It would be nice to have some neutral races in 40k.

Bmaxwell
24-08-2005, 21:07
Sorry by low down i meant getting much more info then we have on the such as. Apprance, Abilties, how rare or common they are, can any xenarch become a prophet? heiarcy with in the prohpets them selves and of course I'll inclued my beloved Bare into it. Im gonna re work instead of them not awakening the arch in side of them.....well you'll see.

x-esiv-4c
25-08-2005, 13:06
We know their appearance so far. Without a manifestation cage they look like a single point of perhaps blue light, which is their consciousness. Their body armour is bipedal, around 6'3" with slightly disproportionatly long forearms. Their armour is dark and sleek and highly angular and facetted.

Can a regular xenarch become a prophet? Well, why the hell not :) I suppose the only thing that differs a Xenarch from the prophet is merely the state of consciousness that they have attained. Prophets are traditionally wiser then the Xenarch but I don't see a reason why a Xenarch cannot ascend to the level of prophets.

Bmaxwell
25-08-2005, 16:57
yea but there nothing saying that a Manifestation cage can't be something besides that and well you'll see what I mean when I post it. Besides different Xenarch anyway would have diffrent mainfest cages for different jobs

thats what I was thinking and a big diffreance rember how all Xenarch can communacatie with each other well the prophets can do the same but at greater distances but a normal Xenarch can't communacatie with a prophet besides talking what do u think of that?

warlordgrubnatz
25-08-2005, 19:05
do you have any ideas on how to model these guys.

x-esiv-4c
25-08-2005, 19:13
thats what I was thinking and a big diffreance rember how all Xenarch can communacatie with each other well the prophets can do the same but at greater distances but a normal Xenarch can't communacatie with a prophet besides talking what do u think of that?

Flawless! Run with it. I think that is a crucial aspect of the power of the Prophets.

x-esiv-4c
25-08-2005, 19:14
do you have any ideas on how to model these guys.

Erk, haven't given it much thought. Probably have a look into it soon.

Bmaxwell
26-08-2005, 01:37
We also need some skecths but wait until I finsih this it will give every one a better idea of Xenarch culture and how the prophets could look. that is of course you like it

x-esiv-4c
26-08-2005, 15:05
I'll see what I can do to facilitate that.

warlordgrubnatz
27-08-2005, 21:37
an intresting idea. A tye of xenerach unit that can "posses" enemy units and take them over.

Bmaxwell
28-08-2005, 20:24
okay well i didn't address the issues of the xenach and the warp sorry
but i did do alot with the Prophets and made up 2 charcters for them hope you like enjoy

as usal i have some grammer and spelling errors (most of this was worte late at night when i was exausted)

Prophets are the leaders of the Xenarch race. But rarely are they seen. They dwell with in there massive temples on each planet. But there furry can rival a force of nature when angered. Each Prophet is different and depending on the Prophets personality. Some Prophets have the normal Xenarch Form with more refined heavy amour others massive stalker bodies built for them under there own Direction. Xenarch look up to the Prophets as immortal and quasi-gods. Some of them are Deeply enrooted with the Religion of the Xenarch in fact even a few are apart of it religion in the past having done some great thing. All are at least seen and consider at the least warriors or leader infused with the divine.

All Xenarch can communicative with any other Xenarch but the prophets are a plane higher when it comes to this. Prophets can communicate with all other prophets and all other Xenarch but Xenarch can not communicate with the prophets except for vocalization. Massive crowds gather to hear when a Prophet will Speak. The Xenarch Region is centered around staying hidden until the Xenarch god sIannL has come to take his children away. Though there are many iterations of it the basic ideals remain the same. Xenarch remain hidden form the outside world and await for the sIannL to come and take them to the promised land

The process is a complicated one most Xenarch that wish to Become one of the prophets seldom do. It is not only tough mentally but the Xenarch will have to go threw hundreds of trails of pain and there devotion to the Xenarch path. Once a Xenarch has proven its self to the prophet on it’s Planet they then wait until The ship “Messa” and form there they are taken away and trained further in the mysteries of the Xenarch way of life and Religion, also the Xenarch seem to take a massive change to who they are they always seem to have better control over there manifestation cages and any other machine that they may plug them selves into. Once a xenarch has been ascended into prophet status they are given a choice of changing there manifestation cage. Most stay in the one they have lived though out there life with some alterations but some change completely with forms that are in no way similar to there pervious ones.

Once a Xenarch has successfully completed the quest to become a Prophet. the Prophet then has a choice to become the resident prophet on a Xenarch World or lead troops into battle. Most choose to stay on a Xenarch world. But some will lead troops into battle these are the prophets that are seen by anyone out side of the Xenarch race.

But out of all the Prophets there are 2 that every Xenarch knows One praised with glory and many works of art devoted to it. The other used as a curse its name synomous with the unholy, abomination, hatred.

Queim the object of much xenarch praise. Such phrases as “Queims spark is within you”, “By the rator of Queim” are common phrase within the xenarch culture. Queim is know by some to be the first Prophet others Believe he was sent directly form sIannL to guide the Xenarch. Some of the oldest Recorded history of the Xenarch have the Xenarch carving out there small empire with Queim the guiding force. According to legend all Xenarch were in a deep sleep on a isolated death world. And due the passing of time as well as the fact the the system was traped in warp strom form much of the Xenarch’s Slumber. The devices that kept the xenarch memoirs was destroyed and corrupted beyond recovery. As well as the machine that would awaken the Xenarch were damaged and unable to awaken the Xenarch. According to legend Queim was the only Xenarch able to keep his memory form before the time they went into there deep hibernation. Some say by shear force of will, others sIannL its self awakened him. But in either case Queim awoke and was able to awaken the rest of the xenarch. He taught the Xenarch how to make tools and slowly and eventual took them back to the stars. If it was not for Queim The Xenarch would have stayed asleep forever never to see the comeing of there savoiur. Queim now acts as the leader of the entire Xenarch race. And teaching the new born xenarch the ways of there race. Until recently Queim was on his Personal ship delivering new prophets to a world when in a flash off light Quiem dropped. At frist it was thought the leader was dead but upon closer inspection His Manifestation case was missing form his shell. No indecation of destoruction was in the shell. So Prophets have said they have felt Queim Resideing in them. What happened to Queim still to this day remains a mystery.

The other well know Prophet is not know for its heroic deeds. Infact this Prophet was in many Xenarchs opions the reason for the massive civil war that damaged the Xenarch empire and is the main reason for the small number of xenarch that are still alive. It’s name was Ivide He was form the Xenarch home world and was a promiseing student of Queim in fact one of Queims favoirties. Once he had Became a Prophet he choose lead a small Xenarch army in the search for new worlds to populate. He was unmecrfuil on the battle filed assumeing the Prophet had a combonation aspect of both Eden and Zero leading small units of specialzed stalker untis for weeks at a time he begun to have a special relations ship and unheard of In Xenarch history Ivide was some how able to give full senticne to the stalkers that he controlled. One of the most successful War prophets slowy he gaind followers seeing him as the one that would lead them to sIannL. Due to his massive following in the Xenarch race for the first time ever he was giving the title of Exetor meaings master of war he was then giving full command over all Xenarch military units. During a Medataion with Queim he was allowed to enter the Halls of Life which only Queim was allowed to walk. It was in the halls of life that Queim had awoke the Xenarch Race. While Ivide was in the halls something changed with in him exiting the halls in raged he took his personal army and left Xenarch space. For many years he was not herd form Many thinking that he had found something in the halls that contradicted Xenarch religion small rebelionns where rasied all over due to that. Then in incression regulatiry Large amounts of Xenarch would rebel in stragtic places. Then Ivide returned. In Retro spect it seemed that when he had left he had found the fabled Quadtracite which was according to legened where sIannL had left the world and left powerful artifacts. Reutrning with a massive fleet Ivide begun to decamite Xenarch worlds his troops wielding strange and powerful weaponry. And new combanats emerged Intire armies of machines that could only be describe as living Stalkers. Queim either fearful of Ivide or knowing what he was caable of with this new weaponr. Queim then Exacauted all the worlds that he could before Ivide reached them. Then some how by passing all the xenarch Defences the Ivide’s entire fleet surroand the Xenarch Home world. By doing so he had cut off the command center of all military xenarch and made them supstable to attack Then a single piloted ship left Ivides Ship and went plaent side. When the ship returned the entire fleet left the system seemingly disappering. Queim was alive but after what became to be know as the Ivide wrath he was never the same.

Reports have made it to the xenarch that Ivides fleet is stil intact and is fighting different aliens races as mercenaries thankfully Ivides fleet have not been anywhere near Xenarch space.

x-esiv-4c
29-08-2005, 13:48
Brilliant work Bmaxwell! Add it to the lastest version we have floating around and consider it canon! Does anyone object to the entry?

Antaeus
29-08-2005, 14:00
No objections..Bmax, would you mind if I had a go at tidying up the grammar a bit? This isn't a shot at you, just to make it look a bit tidyer. Your work's excellent, I just think some editing would make it even better :)

warlordgrubnatz
29-08-2005, 14:46
brilliant bmaxwell, i have alot of grammar issues aswel- guess i am the second worst spiller on warseer.

Bmaxwell
29-08-2005, 15:06
Yea its kind of a bad habit now. I would have edited it but I felt bad that I had just finished it when I said I would have had it to you guys a few days ago

I was aslo thinking you could make Queim and Ivide into Special charcters

spiller ahahahaha funny :)

x-esiv-4c
29-08-2005, 15:38
How do you say Queim phonetically?

Bmaxwell
29-08-2005, 16:20
well i just cut of Re form requeim so just say requeim with out the re. at least thats how I say it

Ivide is just divde with out the D
thats how i make alot of my names take letters off words that kindof reperestn the charcter

Requeim because he is soft spoken but has a certain myetoius part to him

and dived because he well divied that xenarch race.

warlordgrubnatz
29-08-2005, 16:27
nice, how about my idea for possesive souls

x-esiv-4c
29-08-2005, 16:29
Not sure I want to go into that realm of soul possession Grubberz, I suggest we let chaos have that, Xenarch will just stick to animating machines :)

Other peoples thoughts?

Bmaxwell
29-08-2005, 16:50
I say it would be fine for a xenarch unit to take over a vechile as long as it has a computer in it

so I'd say tau cris sutis could count but not power armour mabye termie armour though dreads would count and all walkers and vechlies would count.

Im gonna tackle the warp question in the sort of Inq report about them with a magos studeing a captured xenarch

x-esiv-4c
29-08-2005, 17:23
Sounds good Bmaxwell. Xenarch can only take "Full" Possession of a system if there is a hardwired manifestation cage in it. Elsewise Xenarch would be taking control of pretty much everything.

warlordgrubnatz
29-08-2005, 17:24
What about ld values, woul the xenerach be ferless?, i have been thinking this beacuse they are just essenses swirling around preahps they sould all be made fearless.

Bmaxwell
29-08-2005, 18:14
nah mabye a few but for the most part there just as likely to die think of there mainfest cage as our brain if its damged slightly it could easily kill the xenarch. now the xenarch that have heavy armourmed mainfestion cages yea that would make sense

warlordgrubnatz
29-08-2005, 19:08
preahaps some wargear that lows them a safe exit if the armour fails, that makes the model fearless.

x-esiv-4c
30-08-2005, 13:40
preahaps some wargear that lows them a safe exit if the armour fails, that makes the model fearless.

I like it. Throw an entry in the forum and we'll see what people say. Keeps with the fluff though! Excellent stuff.

Bmaxwell
30-08-2005, 19:55
so what other fluff would you like me to wirte?

x-esiv-4c
31-08-2005, 14:44
Hmm.
lets perhaps get some fluff about a limited engagement between some IG and the Xenarch.

Bmaxwell
31-08-2005, 19:34
okay let mee se what i can pull out of my head

x-esiv-4c
01-09-2005, 13:18
Thanks, anything that can give the Xenarch more depth to their character, more fluffy.

Bmaxwell
01-09-2005, 21:36
no sweat but it might be alwhile before i can get something to you im gonna away labor day weekend and the time i have i have to devote to doing school things so mabye some time next week (mabye thursday friday?) I should have something to you and to make it more intersteing I'll wirte it form the Xenarch view point

x-esiv-4c
01-09-2005, 21:39
Sounds brilliant! There is no pressure at all so whenever you can add stuff that's great! I know what it's like, other more important things take priority! Have a good labor day weekend!

x-esiv-4c
06-09-2005, 13:45
Just as a side note, I was thinking about starting a codex: Kai once this one is done. The Kai being mention in Codex: CSM as a very industrial race prior to the absorbtion of their system by the eye-o-nasty.

Bmaxwell
06-09-2005, 20:59
Im with you that project but lets when we get this done lets sumbit it to orcale what do you think?

the fluff might be dealyed a little bit longer 2 concerts and school work time is non existt to me at the moment

x-esiv-4c
07-09-2005, 16:09
Sounds good. Submitting it to the oracle sounds like a good idea too.
What I would like to see is perhaps more wargear more "mundane" items that gives a player more variety perhaps.

warlordgrubnatz
09-09-2005, 18:35
yup oracle submission sounds good. It would be nice to have a 'pretty' codex with drawings and if possible models.

Shas'o'Fior
10-09-2005, 07:58
how about after the xenarch 'egress' their manfestation cage, they become kinda 'etheral' like....maybe can be used as 'meatshield' by lowering shooter's BS by 1... as its presence just fizzes out the senosor equipment needed for sshooting?

warlordgrubnatz
10-09-2005, 13:37
i like that idea.

Bmaxwell
12-09-2005, 01:22
any one know any artist of the visual form?

just a little update on the xenarch picece

*its on a human world a city that at the center a human battleship is crashed and used as a forttress.
*small elite team of xenarch, led by a Prophet
*searching for a servant of sIannL that is being totured by the Humans and used as a slave the servant is not a xenarch but something e;se

x-esiv-4c
12-09-2005, 14:14
Sounds good Bmaxwell.

Well it seems that we have the units and the rules pretty much fleshed out. All we need to work on is fluff and wargear sections. If anyone would be interested in playtesting these buggers please do, I only ask that your report back here with how it went / what you felt about the army in general plus any advice.

AcolyteLouxman
13-09-2005, 20:52
ah... my favourite... consider me testing...

AL

x-esiv-4c
13-09-2005, 21:09
Ah, appreciate it Louxman, please give us a full account of the game so we can begin tweaking the list.

x-esiv-4c
16-09-2005, 20:50
Just so people realize, the Xenarch codex is still alive, just some other matters have taken priority!

AcolyteLouxman
17-09-2005, 08:19
yeah... may take a while... (why do people insist on going on holiday now, tis just inconsiderate!)

AL

Shas'o'Fior
17-09-2005, 15:00
by the way, what exactly does a manfestation cage look like?

Bmaxwell
18-09-2005, 04:18
what ever the xenarch looks like the maifestion caged is incorparated into the entire suit but i guess if it ever had to be removed form the rest of the body of the xenarch some what like the Robot Brain form I,Robot.

Thats what i thought anyway it might just be a little ball that can hover around X made up the new look of the xenarch

x-esiv-4c
19-09-2005, 13:19
Well, I was thinking that the manifestation cages could look a bit like Guilty-Spark-343 from Halo. Google it for a picture.

Antaeus
19-09-2005, 15:35
Evening. Just checking in to see all's well - moved to uni in Edinburgh, hence my temporary non-existence. So. Woo. Good to see stuff's still getting done in my absence, however. Problem is my copy of the Codex is on my PC at home...but if I have flashes of inspiration and have access to a PC at the same time, I'll throw it down. Otherwise, forget not that I am watching you all. Carefully.

x-esiv-4c
19-09-2005, 15:44
Welcome back Antaeus, wondering where you have gone to! :)
Looks like we have one person doing some play-testing but we really need to beef up our wargear section a little.
Once we have that stuff done we'll and get data back from play-testing, we'll start phase 2, the tweaking.

Bmaxwell
22-09-2005, 01:10
sorry about the delay all my wirteing juscies are being sucked up by my school.

Creative wirteing and english being the main cuplrits in the stealing on my creative jucises lol

x-esiv-4c
22-09-2005, 13:20
Hehe, I know the feeling. I'm taking a Contiuum Mechanics course and it's taking up...well....everything!

x-esiv-4c
03-10-2005, 15:13
Has anyone had an opportunity to give the list a quick play test at all?

Shas'o'Fior
13-10-2005, 07:13
So..are we done or is the project just on a major hold?

x-esiv-4c
13-10-2005, 13:35
Sorry, I had some exams to take care of.

Where we are at now:

-We need more wargear
-Playtesting
-Final tweaking based on the playtesting.

Then we are done!

Bmaxwell
13-10-2005, 21:11
been extermly tied up on my end so so far im not sure when I will be able to finsih the story so far i have 2 pages done

x-esiv-4c
18-10-2005, 14:55
Thanks for the input Bmaxwell, whatever we can get we'll appriciate!

warlordgrubnatz
18-10-2005, 16:54
Give me something to do and ill get to it.

x-esiv-4c
24-10-2005, 14:17
Warlordgrubnatz, if you can get some wargear done and perhaps playtesting, I would be highly appriciative! Thanks.

warlordgrubnatz
24-10-2005, 19:00
what sort of wargear do you want fluff wise?

x-esiv-4c
25-10-2005, 13:26
Perhaps artifacts that distinguish the different echelons in Xenarch society. At this point its still pretty much open to interpretation.

warlordgrubnatz
25-10-2005, 17:55
some ideas

deep blade, this is a special blade given to all prophetec deep's. The deep blade counts as a power weapon that may re roll one to hit or mto wound roll per turn. (make deep 55pts)

combat cage- these cage's are optimised for combat efficency. the wearer gets a 2+ armour save and 1 extra attack 20-25 pts

i'll think of more

x-esiv-4c
26-10-2005, 16:01
Excellent stuff, the more the better, it really helps to flesh out the 'dex.

TheSonOfAbbadon
28-10-2005, 21:13
I've not really said anything on this project for ages, and I would like to get reinvolved, could someone send me the current codex please?

Edit: And some background, I'm currently not quite sure what the Xenarch are, how they prefer to enter battle, what stage their technology's at etc.

Bmaxwell
30-10-2005, 23:56
well if depends on what there manifestion cage looks like but more what its for. Propehts have very specialzed personal cages

they have a very high technoolo level.

they come in by cloaked drop ship but form major milatary movemnts i'd say they would use drop pods or teleaport in

x-esiv-4c
31-10-2005, 13:16
deployment is usually rapid and stealthy.
Xenarch prefer to avoid large scale battles that would tie them in, for an indefinate amount of time. More of a hit and withdraw system.
As for technology, they have a mastering of gravitational manipulation, and thusly have managed to secure large-scale plasma weapons on small craft without using massive coolant systems.

TheSonOfAbbadon
31-10-2005, 19:02
So if they can use gravity feilds, couldn't they create a form of small but intensly powerful feild that would suck in and crush their opponents? Something like:

Strength: -
Ap: -
Range:72"
Type: Ordinance/5" blast marker

Anything that is not classified as a vehicle that is completely covered by the marker takes one wound on a roll of 4+, anything that is not a vehicle that is partially covered by the blast marker takes one wound on a roll of 5+. Any vehicles hit by the feild take a strength 8 AP 1 hit on the side facing centre of the blast marker. The strength-halved-if-centre-not-on-vehicle-thing still counts [look at my technical lingo!].

Sound good? It could be their equivelant of the rail gun [hits vehicles hard, hits infantry hard].

x-esiv-4c
31-10-2005, 19:41
Perhaps that could be a choice for something to mount onto a heavy walker, the scythe class I believe.

AcolyteLouxman
31-10-2005, 20:01
im so sorry i havent done any playtesting yet. My life's taken a bit of a bashing resently and its all comin down round my ears a bit! but i'll do what i can.
AL

x-esiv-4c
31-10-2005, 20:26
We appriciate it AcolyteLouxman.
Right now we really need some playtesting. This will give us a better idea of what we need to tweak.

TheSonOfAbbadon
31-10-2005, 20:33
Could one of you e-mail me the current updated codex please? My e-mail is jamie@little-cars.co.uk.

x-esiv-4c
02-11-2005, 19:31
I'll send you one tomorrow morning. I think I have the lastest revision.

Antaeus
04-11-2005, 13:54
Howdey ho. The latest works would make an interesting read for me also, having been out of the loop since my relocation to Uni (all goeth well, by the way :)) I think I send x-esiv a 'tidied up' version a couple o' months ago, so I'll be interested to see what I've missed :) I may have a brief flurry of activity near Christmas time when I go home, but for now I'm heavily restricted in online time.

Anyway, I will monitor to the best of my considerable abilities. Good to see things are still bobbing along.

x-esiv-4c
04-11-2005, 16:11
Glad to hear that Uni is fairing well Antaeus.
I will send the lastest version I have SoA.

btw, welcome back to the project Antaeus.

Antaeus
04-11-2005, 17:28
I've missed it. I look forward to arguing with TSoA again at the earliest tuneropperty :p

x-esiv-4c
04-11-2005, 18:40
As long as it's productive :)

TheSonOfAbbadon
04-11-2005, 19:19
Where did my suggestion for a "chain-lightning" psychic power go [the one that jumps from one model to all other enemy models within 2" who are then instantly hit at -1 strength]? :(

Also, I think the Death Arc should be at least strength 3, otherwise it's not a Death Arc, it's a Tickle Arc.

And we still have the problem of the "Shadow" rule and the "Photon Drain" rule. I think the "Shadow" rule should apply to any friendly unit with a model within 6" and the "Photon Drain" rule should extend that to 12" [and the models within 12" have +1 to cover saves and the models within 6" should have +2 to cover saves. So the "Shadow" rule represents the Prophets' OWN personal shadow, and the "Photon Drain" rule represents the Prophets' power to redirect light at a distance.

Edit:

Oh, and the Deep and Eden should have at least I3, and the Zero should have I4 or I5, in my opinion.

x-esiv-4c
04-11-2005, 19:25
Sounds good TSoA. The current version is 1.4 Add in your changes and save it as 1.5, unless anyone has problems with the update.

x-esiv-4c
18-11-2005, 14:34
Any word on play-testing?

crashbang
23-11-2005, 19:30
this sounds good. can i have a copy? crash370@hotmail.com

TheSonOfAbbadon
23-11-2005, 20:59
I'll send you versions 1.4 and 1.5.

Does anyone else want a copy of version 1.5?

warlordgrubnatz
24-11-2005, 12:02
id [ piesrgr8@msn.com ] as soon as I get it ill see about new wargear!

warlordgrubnatz
25-11-2005, 17:53
Sorry for the double post but here are some wargear ideas

incenerator cannon: A highly adaanced weapon developed by the xenerach. The incinerator fires a highly focused beam of heat acoss a small area that desrtroys terrain and enemies alike.

strength: 8 range: TEMPLATE AP:2 HEAVY1

special rules: destroy terrain, if this template toutches any area of difficult or impassible terrian (not counting buildings) less than 12" acroos that peice may be destroyed. It may not destroy objective markers or positions occupied by enemy troops.

terror weapon: any unit hit by this weapon must take a ld test at -1

points: shoudl be high, like 40pts, optional for some kind of elite unit, preqhsp some new elite warrior unit.

also what type of weapons/ wargear do you most need?

TheSonOfAbbadon
25-11-2005, 18:46
Hmm.

The name "Incinerator" has been taken by the Grey Knights for their heavy flamer with no invulnerable saves.

I like the idea of a melta gun that fires heat over an area instead of in a line, but the special rule is too... 2nd edition-y. Like that rule where people who survived being shot at with a flamer counted as being on fire.

Also, it should be vehicle-mounted only, otherwise it will be of no use [they'll get charged before they can fire it]. And it should have the 2D6 for penetration against vehicles rule.

Terror Weapon isn't an imaginative name, how about "Blade of Reckoning" or something. Also, how would that work? Seeing as the Xenarch have no actual psychic powers but actually just distort and control forms of energy.

Wouldn't it really be more of a "psychic" power, how the Xenarch distorts light to confuse and scare the foe. Also, if it's an independant character or and entire squad using the power, it should be -2 ld to show their power.

Really we need a couple more "psychic" powers, a couple of pistols and some form of armour upgrade.

Tonight I'm going to try and draw what I think some of the models would look like [I have an idea for the Shadowwalkers...] and I'll do some playtesting [for single squads vs. single squads].

TheSonOfAbbadon
26-11-2005, 12:36
I'm not quite sure what "Sybiotic" means, could someone tell me please?

Edit:

I've done a little playtesting, and I've found that the Xenarch Infantry are HORRIBLY over pointed at 8pts.
I sorted this out by making them toughness 3 [Space Marines kept instant-killing them at toughness 2, most things would instant-kill them at toughness 2, Tau, Orks, Eldar, Necrons, Space marines, Chaos space marines, Sisters of battle, Tyranids].

Originally, 8 space marines slaughtered 15 Xenarch Infantry in two or three turns. Then it took 15 Xenarch Infantry about 5 or 6 turns to kill 8 Space Marines [with 4 Xenarch infantry left over, barely] so I figured that it was sorted out by making them toughness 3. Unless you want to keep them at toughness 2, in which case, they're going to need to be about 4 or 5pts.

I also noticed that Xenarch Axioms are HORRIBLY overpointed at 12pts each. They're basically Imperial guardsmen with a lower toughness and a better gun! How can they be worth 2 of them! I'm gonna need to do some more playtesting to sort this out, but they'll probably be 5 or 6pts at the end of it.

warlordgrubnatz
27-11-2005, 16:01
okay how are these

vehicle weapon fusion ray [revised incinerator]

strength: 8 range: TEMPLATE AP:2 HEAVY1
special rules: extreme heat any units within 6" of teh template also recive a s3 hit.

discharge pistol
strength:3 range: 12" ap:6 pistol

blast pistol
strength: 2 range: 12" ap:6 pistol blast

feel free to rip apart/ rename whatever.

TheSonOfAbbadon
28-11-2005, 12:10
The blast pistol is far too weak, even if it is a blast weapon.

The discharge pistol is a nice, morderately powerful pistol.

I think 6" is too far, that gives it a huge secondary template. Maybe 2 or 3" would be better?

Puffin Magician
28-11-2005, 13:21
Regarding the "Anti-Tank Swarm" in post #81, I'd be a bit reluctant to purchase units that die when they hit a vehicle, and get an average AP roll of 11, no matter how cheap they are.

What about a vehicle whose weapon is the Swarm, like how Necron Tomb Spyders create Scarabs? The cloud is produced ["fired"] and has to move towards the target at 24" per turn. It can be shot at, assaulted etc as normal, but assaulting the swarm should have serious consequences: these swarms are typically chewing through tank armour.

Nanitic Cannon: option for "Vehicle X"
Rather than firing like a normal weapon, the Nanitic Cannon unleashes a swarm of tiny mechanical creatures, that cloud their enemies and attack with thousands of claws and minute electrical charges.

When firing the Cannon, do not roll to hit as normal. Simply place a Nanite Swarm on the table in front of the Cannon. The swarm immediately moves [yes, in the Shooting Phase] 24" in any direction, and may attack a unit or vehicle in close combat if it is able to do so. If the Swarm attacks a unit, resolve the attack in the Assault phase as normal. If the Swarm attacks a vehicle, roll for Armour Penetration as normal.

If the Swarm does not attack that turn, it may move up to 24" in the next turn and attack an enemy unit, but after 2 turns it's power has expired and they are removed from play. This is to keep the Nanitic Cannon from reproducing zillions of swarms and have them race all over the table.

If the Swarm is on the table and not in contact with an enemy model, then they may be fired upon or charged as normal.

Once the Swarm attacks a unit/vehicle, it's power systems have expired and/or they have all been destroyed carrying out the attack. Remove the Swarm from play after resolving their attacks.

A Nanite Swarm has the following profile:

Ws2, Bs-, s3, t3, a2, i4, w3, ld-, sv6+
Vulnerable to Blasts, 24" move, dies after 2 turns
• vs. infantry: Power Weapons or Rending
• vs. Vehicles: s3+d6+5 AP

More complicated than I originally wanted it to be but oh well. Thoughts?

Puffin Magician
28-11-2005, 14:18
Apologies for the doublepost but the Nanite rules took up a lot of room and I didn't want to mix that up with other things that needed replying to.

For SonofAbaddon:

"Symbiotic" means two organisms that exist together in their own little cooperative relationship. Insects that life on the backs of horses that kill fleas, for example. It's typically a mutually beneficial relationship, but not always.

For Grubnatz:
I dunno about some crazy Fusion flamethrower in a stealthy army mostly about electrostatic weaponry. I like the earlier idea of charged flechettes [working the way an Eldar Mandiblaster does, only bigger] though.

Lightning Gun:
Template, s7, ap5, Assault 1

Discharge Pistol
12" s3 ap6 Assault d3+1, +1A if combined with a CCW or equivalent. Not a "pistol" as far as rapidfiring is concerned.

Blast Pistol
12" s4 ap- Blast, Pistol

warlordgrubnatz
28-11-2005, 19:02
okay looks good, i am also thinking te heat weapon wont suit these guys,

Lightning Gun:

Discharge Pistol
12" s3 ap6 Assault d3+1, +1A if combined with a CCW or equivalent. Not a "pistol" as far as rapidfiring is concerned.

Blast Pistol
12" s4 ap- Blast, Pistol

these look good, a bit odd how the discharge pistol isnt a pistol, it has alot of atacks and I think a basic chaep pistol shold just bea pisto, preahps a rapid discharge pistol...

Lightning Gun:

discharge pistol
12" s;3 ap:6 pistol

rapid Discharge Pistol

Blast Pistol
12" s4 ap- Blast, Pistol

TheSonOfAbbadon
29-11-2005, 20:58
Maybe the Discharge pistol should, if the firer stays still, fire D3 times instead of twice.

Would make it more balanced.

And I still hate blast pistols.

And, Puffin, I was referring to the codex, where it says Stalkers are considered "symbiotic" not the definition of the word. I thought it meant the Stalkers had some special rules.

IncubiLord
07-12-2005, 05:04
I made it through the first 18 pages or so, and this looks interesting. Could you mail the latest to scm_spam@yahoo.com?

Have you considered a disembodied spirit that possesses enemy vehicles? If they're machine-symbiotes they might 'appropriate' interesting items that their opponents bring to play with. Maybe use Looted Vehicle rules like the Orks.

Also, do the machine spirits die? They could have a real different outlook on war if they can always get another body. Imagine living out a FPS - just keep respawning. - edit: found that they can, but they still could see war like a game.

TheSonOfAbbadon
08-12-2005, 11:59
Actually, once a manifestation cage has been broken, the Xenarch conciousness is destroyed. I think.

Oh, and they can only possess specially made vehicles with manifestation cages.

IncubiLord
08-12-2005, 17:04
Actually, once a manifestation cage has been broken, the Xenarch conciousness is destroyed. I think..
Way I read it, there's a chance that they'll die, but they may just get trapped 'til somebody lets them out.
I kinda think of high stakes games like Russian Roullette.
I didn't see anything on the odds of an actual kill, if they're pretty high then this doesn't work.

Oh, and they can only possess specially made vehicles with manifestation cages.
So how about they salvage a 'Dread after the fight? Toss in a m. cage and away we go.
Ooh and you don't wage war on them because they have a nasty habit of sneaking into your titans to graft a few cages. That bars large scale war on their planets.

Finished reading the thread, but still no clue on a lot of things. Any chance of seeing the 'Dex?
X - maybe threads like this would work better if you set up a dummy yahoo account. You could post the most recent version of the 'Dex by having it as an attachment to an autoreply that's always set on. Then you don't end up having to send out a copy every couple of days. ;)

TheSonOfAbbadon
08-12-2005, 21:25
When a manifestation cage is broken the Xenarch conciousness leaks out in a torrent of tortured thought and is lost. It says that in the fluff in the codex, unfortunately I don't have it on this computer so I can't send it to you...

Xenarch wouldn't use Dreadnoughts as they would believe their own technology to be superior [which it is in some ways] and would melt the Dreadnought down for Stalkers.

And the Xearch wouldn't be able to use the Dreadnought, as in move it, speak through it or fire its guns, as it is completely different technology to theirs.

Bmaxwell
08-12-2005, 22:50
ooo

finally something i can clear up as I helped make the fluff for the Xenarch up.

the Xenarch mainfestion cage is small ball object placed secruly in the "Chest" of the Xenarch the cage can be moved form different what i like to call "shells" to suit different purpose's. Ie when a normal Xenarch becomes a prophet. When a subitanlly wound is put onto the Xenarch the "shell" shuts down and so that the xenarch manifestion cage will not be in much more peril. (since no one execpt Xenarchs realize that there armour is really them insteade of something the xenarch creature puts on)

but it depends on the type of wound a simple bolt shell will not pentrate the sheilding of cage but mutiple bolt rounds to the chest will. to get a idea where the cage is feel the bottom of ur sterum thats were i allways imageined it would go

we never clarifyed this X can a Xenarch Mainfestion cage move by it's self?

aslo for space ships the Xenarch's leave the cage and asort of put into a collective cage. then put back into their personal one when they need to do battle

Sorry for the bad spelling in a rush

IncubiLord
09-12-2005, 00:42
But can they be rigged into an alien machine?
I like the idea that the way these guys deal with an ork invasion is to take the Gargants - use your enemy's strength against him. It also means that they wouldn't have to maintain anything on the titan level. They just sneak in and take it from the people trying to kill them.

TheSonOfAbbadon
09-12-2005, 10:45
They can't bbe put into an enemy machine for a few reasons:

1. Pfft, gargants, gravitional singularity cannons are better.
2. Gargants have no manifestation cage[s].
3. Even if you put them in they wouldn't work with the Ork technology, only if you took everything out and converted it to be compatible with manifestation cages would it work, it's just easy to melt it down for Stalkers.

IncubiLord
09-12-2005, 17:02
They can't bbe put into an enemy machine for a few reasons:

1. Pfft, gargants, gravitional singularity cannons are better.
2. Gargants have no manifestation cage[s].
3. Even if you put them in they wouldn't work with the Ork technology, only if you took everything out and converted it to be compatible with manifestation cages would it work, it's just easy to melt it down for Stalkers.
Well, since the Xenarch are so secretive that I can't see the 'Dex... :p
WTF is a gravitional singularity cannon? Did I miss it in the fluff, or is it secret-Codex specific?

If you graft a cage to a Gargant, they should be able to use it. That's like saying somebody who plays XBOX 360 can't figure out Pong.

warlordgrubnatz
11-12-2005, 17:05
No its saying the maifestation cage needs to plug into xenerach technology. If tehy rigged it into a gargant it wouldnt be compatible.

TheSonOfAbbadon
11-12-2005, 17:10
Well, since the Xenarch are so secretive that I can't see the 'Dex... :p

No, it's just no one else here has decided to send it to you yet, and I can't get at my copy.

WTF is a gravitional singularity cannon? Did I miss it in the fluff, or is it secret-Codex specific?

It's in the codex.

If you graft a cage to a Gargant, they should be able to use it. That's like saying somebody who plays XBOX 360 can't figure out Pong.

No, it's like saying you can't plug an XBOX controller into a PS2, which you CAN'T.

IncubiLord
11-12-2005, 17:19
No, it's just no one else here has decided to send it to you yet, and I can't get at my copy.
Joking, tSoA. You and I are the only ones who were posting, and I read you couldn't send it.

No, it's like saying you can't plug an XBOX controller into a PS2, which you CAN'T.
Somebody with skill in electronics could make an adapter.
I just don't see a reason they couldn't figure out how to swipe the lessesr beings' machines.
How common is a singularity cannon?
It sounds like a WMD that I wouldn't use on home turf.

Bmaxwell
12-12-2005, 20:17
well you have to rember that a gargent would take more then one mainfestion cage. which is alot of work. because you have to then make the pool so that the xenarch can work togther. so yes possabile but why would they. Xenarchs would never get into a large scale war the only time thats happened is wqhen they had the civil war. but even that didn't last that long.

a Tank or something but I persoanlly think the work that you would have to put in is not worth the effort

IncubiLord
12-12-2005, 20:32
So, is a singularity cannon a WMD?
In some sci-fi, they use a similar weapon, and it fires mini-black-holes. I would keep such a gun pointed away from home.

TheSonOfAbbadon
12-12-2005, 21:41
I believe a Gravity Singularity Cannon creates a temporary but very powerful gravitational force some distance away from the cannon, sucking everything into it. Occasionly it malfunctions and implodes but not often. Mini black holes wouldn't be a good weapon, they'd suck in the planet you're on!

As you said "someone could make an adapter" indeed, the Xenarch could modify all the guns to have controls that were compatible with manifestation cages, then make the cages, then make the cages "pool" then they'd have... a big hunk of metal which a gravity singularity cannon could "fix" easily [it's a titan-hunter], much easier to melt it down for scrap and salvage than modify it.

IncubiLord
12-12-2005, 22:07
very powerful gravitational force... sucking everything into it.
How's that not a temporary mini-black-hole? :confused:

TheSonOfAbbadon
13-12-2005, 15:08
It has no actual physical presence, that's how. It creates the gravitational force, not fires something that carries it.

MikexNature
14-12-2005, 02:27
Id really like to lend my help so a copy would be sweet

paintmexbloodred@aol.com

rule development/modeling, or anything you need help doing.

also I had an idea, since those thing that are pure balls of energy in "shell" can bend energy and stuff I think they should get like a we'll be back rool if they lose their last wound.

IncubiLord
14-12-2005, 04:00
Good luck, Mikex.
I've been posting for days, and I still haven't seen the first page. :(
The people with it on their machines are on vacation.

TheSonOfAbbadon
14-12-2005, 13:28
I'll see if I can send version 1.5 and 1.6 to you from my other computer [1.6 being the version I revised after some playtesting].

also I had an idea, since those thing that are pure balls of energy in "shell" can bend energy and stuff I think they should get like a we'll be back rool if they lose their last wound.

Um, no, you see, they can't self repair, they may have some wargear that does this, but no way is everyone getting it.

There, you both have revisions 1.5 and 1.6 now.

MikexNature
14-12-2005, 17:56
Thanks for sending me the codex, its looking great.

In regards to the wbb rolls I was thinking along th lines of a 5 up if the were half strength or over and a 6 up if the were less than half

I also have so good ideas on how to model these guys

TheSonOfAbbadon
14-12-2005, 18:13
I really don't like the wbb rolls, it's unfluffy.

MikexNature
14-12-2005, 18:40
Its cool, it was just an idea.
I think their needs to be a more to the elite section like

Xenarch hunters(may purchas 3 per elites)
hunter/spotter ws3 bs3 st3 t3 w1 I3 a1 ld8 s6+(cover)
squad-2(hunter and his spotter)
weapons:hunter/hunter class impulse rifle, spotter/charge pistol
Special Rules:
Photon charged "hunter" manifestation cages-The cages these are very light and do not provide much acctual armor. Instead they distort the vision and make targeting very difficult. Units with "hunter" cages always count as being in cover and any unit trying to target them must subtract 12 inches from their guns(unless within six inches, as the feild has less effect)

hunter class impulse rifle-basicly the same as the version the nomal infintry cary but more suited to mobility to keep the hunters out of harms way. The hunter class impulse rifle may be fired on the move but will only be range 24" instead of the normal 36

Infiltrate, Scout, move through difficult terrain

Just an idea

TheSonOfAbbadon
14-12-2005, 19:14
That's a cool idea, but I think the Hunter manifestion cage rule should be something more like +1 to cover saves, always counts as having a 6+ cover save when in the open.

MikexNature
14-12-2005, 19:25
Dang, I ment to add that in their but I'm glad you like it

TheSonOfAbbadon
16-12-2005, 16:23
I think that you should be able to take Hunters and Spotters seperately, kind of like Tau and Drones. 1-3 Hunters, up to 2 Spotters per Hunter, the Spotters containing secondary manifestation cages for the Hunter.

How do you see Spotters? I see them as floating orbs with a pistol set in underneath with a few antennae pointing out the bottom.

Bmaxwell
16-12-2005, 17:21
If anyone has the updated one past revison 4 could ya send it to me seems liek theres been alot that i've missed

Chaoslordofwar@yahoo.com

MikexNature
18-12-2005, 05:00
Sent, the latest version

Bmaxwell
18-12-2005, 14:27
Thanks i got it.

I was thinking about doing some speical characters if anyone thinks that would be a good idea. If so i'll post there background later

warlordgrubnatz
19-12-2005, 19:55
I mentioned earlier a large xenerach for a special character.

Bmaxwell
19-12-2005, 21:41
Well read this tell me what you think of useing Ivide and Queim for Speical characters

Prophets are the leaders of the Xenarch race. But rarely are they seen. They dwell within their massive temples on each planet. But there furry can rival a force of nature when angered. Each Prophet is different and depending on the Prophets personality. Some Prophets have the normal Xenarch Form with more refined heavy amour others massive stalker bodies built for them under there own Direction. Xenarch look up to the Prophets as immortal and quasi-gods. Some of them are Deeply enrooted with the Religion of the Xenarch in fact even a few are apart of it religion in the past having done some great thing. All are at least seen and consider at the least warriors or leader infused with the divine.

All Xenarch can communicative with any other Xenarch but the prophets are a plane higher when it comes to this. Prophets can communicate with all other prophets and all other Xenarch but Xenarch can not communicate with the prophets except for vocalization. Massive crowds gather to hear when a Prophet will Speak. The Xenarch Region is centered around staying hidden until the Xenarch god sIannL has come to take his children away. Though there are many iterations of it the basic ideals remain the same. Xenarch remain hidden form the outside world and await for the sIannL to come and take them to the promised land

The process is a complicated one most Xenarch that wish to Become one of the prophets seldom do. It is not only tough mentally but the Xenarch will have to go threw hundreds of trails of pain and there devotion to the Xenarch path. Once a Xenarch has proven its self to the prophet on it’s Planet they then wait until The ship “Messa” and form there they are taken away and trained further in the mysteries of the Xenarch way of life and Religion, also the Xenarch seem to take a massive change to who they are they always seem to have better control over there manifestation cages and any other machine that they may plug them selves into. Once a xenarch has been ascended into prophet status they are given a choice of changing there manifestation cage. Most stay in the one they have lived though out there life with some alterations but some change completely with forms that are in no way similar to there pervious ones.

Once a Xenarch has successfully completed the quest to become a Prophet. the Prophet then has a choice to become the resident prophet on a Xenarch World or lead troops into battle. Most choose to stay on a Xenarch world. But some will lead troops into battle these are the prophets that are seen by anyone out side of the Xenarch race.

But out of all the Prophets there are 2 that every Xenarch knows One praised with glory and many works of art devoted to it. The other used as a curse its name synomous with the unholy, abomination, hatred.

Queim the object of much xenarch praise. Such phrases as “Queims spark is within you”, “By the rator of Queim” are common phrase within the xenarch culture. Queim is know by some to be the first Prophet others Believe he was sent directly form sIannL to guide the Xenarch. Some of the oldest Recorded history of the Xenarch have the Xenarch carving out there small empire with Queim the guiding force. According to legend all Xenarch were in a deep sleep on a isolated death world. And due the passing of time as well as the fact the the system was traped in warp strom form much of the Xenarch’s Slumber. The devices that kept the xenarch memoirs was destroyed and corrupted beyond recovery. As well as the machine that would awaken the Xenarch were damaged and unable to awaken the Xenarch. According to legend Queim was the only Xenarch able to keep his memory form before the time they went into there deep hibernation. Some say by shear force of will, others sIannL its self awakened him. But in either case Queim awoke and was able to awaken the rest of the xenarch. He taught the Xenarch how to make tools and slowly and eventual took them back to the stars. If it was not for Queim The Xenarch would have stayed asleep forever never to see the comeing of there savoiur. Queim now acts as the leader of the entire Xenarch race. And teaching the new born xenarch the ways of there race. Until recently Queim was on his Personal ship delivering new prophets to a world when in a flash off light Quiem dropped. At frist it was thought the leader was dead but upon closer inspection His Manifestation case was missing form his shell. No indecation of destoruction was in the shell. So Prophets have said they have felt Queim Resideing in them. What happened to Queim still to this day remains a mystery.

The other well know Prophet is not know for its heroic deeds. Infact this Prophet was in many Xenarchs opions the reason for the massive civil war that damaged the Xenarch empire and is the main reason for the small number of xenarch that are still alive. It’s name was Ivide He was form the Xenarch home world and was a promiseing student of Queim in fact one of Queims favoirties. Once he had Became a Prophet he choose lead a small Xenarch army in the search for new worlds to populate. He was unmecrfuil on the battle filed assumeing the Prophet had a combonation aspect of both Eden and Zero leading small units of specialzed stalker untis for weeks at a time he begun to have a special relations ship and unheard of In Xenarch history Ivide was some how able to give full senticne to the stalkers that he controlled. One of the most successful War prophets slowy he gaind followers seeing him as the one that would lead them to sIannL. Due to his massive following in the Xenarch race for the first time ever he was giving the title of Exetor meaings master of war he was then giving full command over all Xenarch military units. During a Medataion with Queim he was allowed to enter the Halls of Life which only Queim was allowed to walk. It was in the halls of life that Queim had awoke the Xenarch Race. While Ivide was in the halls something changed with in him exiting the halls in raged he took his personal army and left Xenarch space. For many years he was not herd form Many thinking that he had found something in the halls that contradicted Xenarch religion small rebelionns where rasied all over due to that. Then in incression regulatiry Large amounts of Xenarch would rebel in stragtic places. Then Ivide returned. In Retro spect it seemed that when he had left he had found the fabled Quadtracite which was according to legened where sIannL had left the world and left powerful artifacts. Reutrning with a massive fleet Ivide begun to decamite Xenarch worlds his troops wielding strange and powerful weaponry. And new combanats emerged Intire armies of machines that could only be describe as living Stalkers. Queim either fearful of Ivide or knowing what he was caable of with this new weaponr. Queim then Exacauted all the worlds that he could before Ivide reached them. Then some how by passing all the xenarch Defences the Ivide’s entire fleet surroand the Xenarch Home world. By doing so he had cut off the command center of all military xenarch and made them supstable to attack Then a single piloted ship left Ivides Ship and went plaent side. When the ship returned the entire fleet left the system seemingly disappering. Queim was alive but after what became to be know as the Ivide wrath he was never the same.

Reports have made it to the xenarch that Ivides fleet is stil intact and is fighting different aliens races as mercenaries thankfully Ivides fleet have not been anywhere near Xenarch space.

IncubiLord
21-12-2005, 03:12
Just thought I would throw this out there...
What if the Xenarch were created to fight Chaos?
It would explain why they're beings of energy that don't live in the warp, and gives their fluff another layer of depth.
Maybe the god that they wait for created them and then went into hiding until they served their purpose, or they could each contain a trace of the god and he actually lives within them until his power returns.
It has some interesting fluff potential.

Bmaxwell
23-12-2005, 02:24
Well what me and X (as far as i know) that the Xenarch were creations of the Xenarch that the Xenarch were creations of the Old Ones and thats what there main purpose was to fight Chaos since they could use the warp but did not live in it sort of like a revesrse Necron thing.

IncubiLord
23-12-2005, 02:38
Missed that bit, sorry.

Antaeus
23-12-2005, 12:47
@TSOA: Sounds like good work on the playtesting. That'll need some thought, as I'd really like the basic infantry to remain T2, but not become a swarm army. Perhaps another look at their armour and weapons is needed. Sounds like the Axioms need a rethink too. I'll mull over my copy of the Codex once I dig it out again.

Hmmm...looking at the Axioms, I see what you mean. Perhaps BS4 and reduced to 10pts/model? Might make them more useful.

TheSonOfAbbadon
23-12-2005, 15:43
If they're going to be T2 then they'll need to be 4pts and I see no reason for them to be T2.

Antaeus
23-12-2005, 16:02
With the right modifications in other areas, they can be T2 and cost 8pts. Perhaps the Arc rifle could be beefed up a tad - not too much though. I like them being T2, makes them a bit different. Nice to have a flimsy race for once - besides, they have good saving throws.

TheSonOfAbbadon
23-12-2005, 16:16
They have OK saving throws, and the only way they're being 8pts is with something frikkin crazy like having strength 6 or having their guns as AP3.

Bmaxwell
23-12-2005, 21:50
T2 i think is very weak considering what the Xenarch are supposed to be. I mean this things do not feel pain because they are bascily robots T3 is a must in MHO

Antaeus
23-12-2005, 22:51
*shrug* I'm still very fond of T2. Their 4+ save represents their excellent armour, but the actual beasties themselves are relatively flimsy. It's original, it's different, and they've been that way all along. A T3 Xenarch Trooper would be look a T4 Guardsman to me. Obvious if people are desperate to turn them into Storm Troopers, I won't be able to change people's minds, but to me T2 feels Right. Remember they're actually tougher (in terms of overall resilience, not Toughness obviously) than Imperial Guardsmen, and have a better weapon.

(I will always maintain that 4+ saves are 'excellent'. 5+ is average, not poor.)

TheSonOfAbbadon
23-12-2005, 23:25
Look, I tried them with T2, you know what strength 4 does to them? They got owned, no, they got PWN7 by those space marines! With toughness 3 it balances out.

Also, what beasties? They're sentient beings of pure energy!

Antaeus
23-12-2005, 23:57
Why would S4 do them any more damage than a T3, 5+ save target? They get a (pretty darn good) 4+ save against Bolters to offset their low Toughness.

Exactly. Very soft stuff, pure energy :p Just a personal thought that T2 troops would be a nice, unique point. And hey, I've been attached to the idea from the start :D

Bmaxwell
24-12-2005, 01:11
now that you put it that way I do see why 2 makes sense bout how about this in close combat it counts as T3? I not sure how that would work but its worth a shot.

TheSonOfAbbadon
24-12-2005, 01:42
I don't like T2, but I don't like T2[T3 in CC] even more.

We can keep them as T2, but they're 4pts.

Bmaxwell
24-12-2005, 01:59
Well what do you see worng with it. In close combat I imagine that it would be much harder to kill them then shooting your bolter at them.

my 2 cents right there

Antaeus
24-12-2005, 13:43
I'm still not sure how they could only be worth 4pts/model. They have good saving throws, pretty decent weapons, ok Leadership and BS. I'd have put them at at least 7pts, and me and X-esiv went for 8 because we'd rather they were too expensive than too cheap. They're on about equal terms with Guardsmen in a straight fight, plus they have the mobility advantage of a 24" Assault 2 weapon. Their strength isn't supposed to be in a straight firefight, but in the ability to fight what battles they choose to fight.

IncubiLord
24-12-2005, 18:09
I'd say to give them the "feel no pain" USR instead of a save.
The thing is that at T2 you pretty much ensure that every shot will wound them. Anything with decent AP is practically guaranteed to instant death every model it hits.
A leman russ with 3 heavy bolters would have a good chance of killing an entire unit and the character that was tagging along in one round of shooting.

Antaeus
24-12-2005, 19:38
Ah, but heavy bolters kill most troops, even T3 ones, on a 2+ anyway :)

You've given me a crazy idea for a new troop type, though...

IncubiLord
24-12-2005, 20:09
My point was that even a lasgun becomes a significant threat to T2. Making them "feel no pain" instead of having armor is a step down from granting them an Invulnerable save, and I think it really fits the fluff.
Being the equivalent of a rodent in a human-sized battlesuit, the Xenarch shouldn't "feel" pain when their arm is blasted off. This rule conveys a battlesuit feel that having no special rules leaves to the fluff.
Also, "feel no pain" can be combined with armor on the characters to create some durable leaders.

TheSonOfAbbadon
24-12-2005, 20:41
Yeah, but with feel no pain, they get no save against anything strength 4+.

Also, if their arm was blasted off, I would say that the manifestation cage would be rupture which means they get wounded.

And you could just have a feel no pain wargear option for the characters.

IncubiLord
25-12-2005, 03:14
Yeah, but with feel no pain, they get no save against anything strength 4+.
Good point. Stupid instant death rules. :(
On another note, I was thinking of a feral unit - maybe the survivors of a damaged manifestation cage.
How about something a little further into the physical realm, like a sort of living lightning or thinking fire.
With beings of energy, something that got wounded and trapped in between realms like this could be viewed much like a ghost or other undead creature.

TheSonOfAbbadon
25-12-2005, 09:04
Kinda like those Eldar that got trapped between the warp and reality...

Actually, it sounds like a good idea, the damaged manifestation cage is broken, concious thought spews forth until all that is left is the rage of battle and the want of revenge, placed in specially made battle armour, they charge forth tearing all in their path.

Bmaxwell
25-12-2005, 17:13
A Arm wouldn't cause a mainfestion cage to rupture.

But i really like the idea of the traped Manifestion cage. Injured so bad that it can't Be Removed but still alive.

I'd Imgaine that they would aslo have some mental proplems and So mabye something like a crazed bersker.

TheSonOfAbbadon
26-12-2005, 03:05
I saw them more like Blood Angels Death Company.

Bmaxwell
26-12-2005, 03:18
That works to

IncubiLord
26-12-2005, 03:32
As they are wounded beyond recovery, these dying ones could use more daemonic rules, like a 5+ Invulnerable save and the Instability rules from the Chaos "dex.
I was thinking that they would be mostly coherent energy with what remains of their cage and a bit of their suits wiring at the center. Sort of like a tangible ghost with the torn-out heart floating where it should have been. You could make a model of the cage with a few bits still attached and then build a vaguely Xenarch shape around it with opaque plastic.

Bmaxwell
26-12-2005, 03:40
how about this for the model and what they look like.

you have the centrelized Cage which is sort of like a ball but then various limbs are now just wires and peices of metal held together be the shear will of the xenarch alone.

IncubiLord
26-12-2005, 03:52
OK, but I want to melt see-through yellow/blue plastic over mine so that it looks like it's in the middle of a fiery/electric apparition.
I like the ghostly image this would create.

Bmaxwell
26-12-2005, 04:00
well yea there would be random warp/electirc stuff flying around.

IncubiLord
26-12-2005, 04:07
A being of energy with the remains of it's containment suit still suspended within it, that's the image I was shooting for.
But if you prefer to keep the clearish plastic to a minimum, I'm not overly upset. (I could always build my version and use the "counts as" concept. ;) )