PDA

View Full Version : Battlescribe

Maetco
17-11-2014, 18:22
I'm sorry if I'm breaking some forum rules but I thought there might be a lot of people here who don't know about Battlescribe and would like to use it. I have nothing to do with the devs. I'm just a satisfied user / customer. Battlescribe is an army builder which support many games such as WFB. Battlescribe can be used for free (ad supported) or bought. There's also an app for most mobile devices.

Here's a link to the software: http://www.battlescribe.net/downloads.html

If you already are using Battlescribe, please join the Github community and help creating and improving the catalogues and game systems here: https://github.com/BSData/whfb

Here is a link to the wiki page https://github.com/BSData/bsdata/wiki#getting-started

MOMUS
17-11-2014, 18:32
Quartermaster is better, plus you can create your own custom files.

Cheers though :yes:

Shadeseraph
17-11-2014, 18:45
Not everyone owns an iPad or iPhone, though, and Battlescribe is available to PCs too.

forseer of fates
17-11-2014, 19:09
Battle scribe is awesome.

MOMUS
17-11-2014, 21:12
I heard everytime you download battle scribe a dragon in Ulthuan doesn't wake up. :(

Denny
17-11-2014, 21:26
I heard everytime you download battle scribe a dragon in Ulthuan doesn't wake up. :(

Downloading Battlescribe cured me of Vampirism. True story.
. . . I miss the sparkles . . .:(

Odin
17-11-2014, 21:29
It's not bad. Seems to take forever to get new army lists though. By which I mean three or four weeks. But damnit I want my Chaos Legions!

forseer of fates
17-11-2014, 21:31

Most Excellent.

Odin
17-11-2014, 22:16
Better than Army Builder and other list builders.

just remember that BS is all fan made, so if someone is waiting for all 4 books to make an End Times BS, we will just have to wait.
Why would they do that? We've got Legions of Indead already anyway.

Maetco
18-11-2014, 05:33
Quartermaster is better, plus you can create your own custom files.

Cheers though :yes:

Yes but is for Appleism members only. What do you mean by custom files? You have access to both Game System and Catalogue editor in Battlescribe. You can edit existing ones or create new ones.

That's the original reason I downloaded it. I was just happily surprised to see that it was actually a nice software too.

It's not bad. Seems to take forever to get new army lists though. By which I mean three or four weeks. But damnit I want my Chaos Legions!

If you want them faster it's time to do something about it: https://github.com/BSData/whfb. BTW it's Legions of Chaos and their catalogue has been released. How I know? I created the catalogue. I'm terribly sorry if you feel it took me too long.

Ograr
18-11-2014, 11:13
A Star Dragon killed my Bloodthirster last week.
Downloaded this on ALL the devices!

jtrowell
18-11-2014, 11:20
@Maetco : thank you for your work. :)

Odin
18-11-2014, 12:04
If you want them faster it's time to do something about it: https://github.com/BSData/whfb. BTW it's Legions of Chaos and their catalogue has been released. How I know? I created the catalogue. I'm terribly sorry if you feel it took me too long.

Ah, so it is, thanks!

I didn't mean to come across as whiny there... I've no idea what goes into making the files, and neither the time nor inclination to find out. I am utterly useless when it comes to anything technical. It just surprised me how long these things take.

Malagor
18-11-2014, 12:10
Better than Army Builder
To be fair, Army builder is under agreement with GW not to release updated armies until 1 month after release.

Alltaken
18-11-2014, 12:12

Thanks man, is there a downlodable versión of single army files?

Maetco
18-11-2014, 15:52
@Maetco : thank you for your work. :)

Thanks!

Ah, so it is, thanks!

I didn't mean to come across as whiny there... I've no idea what goes into making the files, and neither the time nor inclination to find out. I am utterly useless when it comes to anything technical. It just surprised me how long these things take.

Don't sweat. It was just my attempt to make you think about the matter from a (possibly) new angle and hopefully activate your will to help out.

Thanks man, is there a downlodable versión of single army files?

To my understanding you should be able to download the cat-files individually but can't really see the point. Adding the repository URL the software downloads all the files for you. And if there's a new army list (catalogue) or updates on existing ones, they're downloaded automatically too. This level of automation and the ease of updating the catalogues together is actually the thing that makes me like it so much. The software got an update like this spring / early winter that changed this aspect completely. Sharing and getting the updates used to be a lot more work. Nowadays it works really well as long as there are enough people willing to contribuite in the making and updating the catalogues.

Alltaken
18-11-2014, 16:16
I allready had a catalogue, that was why, I think I'll drop the other one and just use yours. The programming community seems pretty dispersed on this thing.
Again, Thanks for the update. I didnt have chaos dwarves or legions of chaos before

MrKeef
19-11-2014, 01:43
Personally, I use epicroster.com

It's an online calculator for any 40k army. You can make an account if you want and save your army lists in your profile for later. When you print a list off, it tells you unit stats and special rules, ect it's very handy.

It used to have loads of awesome art for each page and the official names but I guess GW made them take it down. Try not to take too long before saving a list, as your session times out after about 20 minutes or so and you might not be able to save a list you've spent ages on.

Advantage compared to battle scribe and quarter master: account shared across any device. Easily printable. No need to mess around with data files. No downloads at all.

Disadvantage: Internet connection needed to use, kinda buggy on phones.

Odin
20-11-2014, 13:08
Personally, I use epicroster.com

It's an online calculator for any 40k army. You can make an account if you want and save your army lists in your profile for later. When you print a list off, it tells you unit stats and special rules, ect it's very handy.

It used to have loads of awesome art for each page and the official names but I guess GW made them take it down. Try not to take too long before saving a list, as your session times out after about 20 minutes or so and you might not be able to save a list you've spent ages on.

Advantage compared to battle scribe and quarter master: account shared across any device. Easily printable. No need to mess around with data files. No downloads at all.

Disadvantage: Internet connection needed to use, kinda buggy on phones.
I guess it depends where you use it. Battlescribe is great for me to put a list together on the tube on my way to work, when I have no Internet access.

Malagor
20-11-2014, 15:12
And if you play fantasy you have no use for a list maker for 40k :p

Alltaken
20-11-2014, 15:31
Account sharing isnt a big thing, you can allways send it by email. I dont know the printing side though

benvoliothefirst
23-11-2014, 02:38
I've been happily using White Wolf's Army Builder for about fifteen years now. (!) The data files are updated quickly enough for me, since I only ever get around to buying army books a year after they come out anyway. And aside from some of the initial setup hassles, it works great and is easily customizable. I've no complaints.

Lord Dan
23-11-2014, 13:05
I have the full version of Army Builder on my laptop, but in a pinch I have the demo on my desktop. It's effectively the full version, except that you can only create 3 units at a time. I just fire that up, pull out a pen and paper, and basically have access to all army books for free (and legally!).

Tato
25-11-2014, 19:35
Lord Dan, you can actually own TWO full versions of the AB for the same money. Just go to White Wolf's web page, log in with serial number and request secondary key for free. Thanks to this I have a full version both at home and on my laptop at work.

Lord Dan
25-11-2014, 19:42
Lord Dan, you can actually own TWO full versions of the AB for the same money.

Yeah, let's just say that both keys are already in use. :shifty:

ErictheGreen
26-11-2014, 13:48
I prefer the army building of battlescribe, but it frustrates me no end that I can't output to pdf just to print off a copy. Quartermaster is far better for that