PDA

View Full Version : 1000pt Starter Ogre Army

Sackree
19-11-2014, 00:53
Ki ora

I recently picked up a mantic ogre set on the cheap so am very excited about playing some games as ogres as opposed to elves.

The models I now have are a hero, 12 ogre warriors who can be assembled with hw/IF or with great weapons. And 6 leadbelchers. So with that in mind I built the following list

+++ Orge starter (1000pts) +++
+++ Ogre Kindoms - Army Book (2013-4) -V8.8.1. Roster (Standard)) +++

Selections:

Ogre Kindoms - Army Book (2013-4) -V8.8.1. (Standard) Selections:

+ Heroes + (200pts)

* Firebelly (200pts)
(Blessings of the Volcano God, Fear, Fire Breath, Flaming Attacks, Ogre Charge, Stomp)
Lore of Fire, Wizard Level 2
* Magic Items
BRB - Talisman of Preservation

+ Core + (522pts)

* Ironguts (419pts)
(Fear, Ogre Charge, Stomp)
Bellower, 8x Ironguts
* Standard Bearer
AB - Dragonhide Banner, Lookout-Gnoblar (Look-out Gnoblar)

* Ogres (103pts)
Bellower
* 3x Ogres
3x Additional Hand Weapon

+ Special + (278pts)

* Leadbelchers (139pts)
Bellower, 3x Leadbelchers

* Leadbelchers (139pts)
Bellower, 3x Leadbelchers

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

I want to know your thoughts on this set up and a good direction to head in with my next purchases.

Tom

theJ
19-11-2014, 09:43
Surprisingly little to say, really.
3 Ogres are rather low for a unit, but in 1k pts it should be okay(if/when you jump up to 1.5k, adding to them should probably be your top priority)...
The one concern I have is your caster - as a rule, you need at least three spells to avoid having to six-dice(and blow yourself up) to get spells through somewhat reliably. Unless one of those rules/options give you an extra spell(I don't play Ogres, so I don't really know all the special rules, sorry), you might be better off taking a "traditional" bruiser to lead your force.

Mannfred
19-11-2014, 10:45
Very worried for you actually...

Like your army is Leadership 7, you could lose the game before even seeing combat...

Definitely you will not need the 3 Bulls and you probably want to create another character with those models; May prefer to take the other magical banner..in the ogre book...the one with the 2+ redirect a spell to another target it will probably keep your pride and joy alive, drop another iron gut...think about picking up a slaughtermaster with fencers blade, greedy fist and glittering scales :)

kikibobo
19-11-2014, 18:31
Mannfred and theJ both have given you great advice. You will need three spells, so a slaughtermaster is a much better choice at this point level.

"A good direction to head" - The next three units you will want to start including whether at 1k or 1.5k are: sabertusk (single model units as cheap chaff), ironblaster, and mournfang. They all typically perform well for their costs

mrknify
23-11-2014, 01:56
Gnoblars. A unit of 20 is the same coat as one ogre.
40 makes a nice wall(2 units) run them up then split them open have a nice group of leadbelchers open fire.

500 point battles are a blast.