PDA

View Full Version : mordheim-city of the damned

Tarrell
20-11-2014, 02:39
For those of you that havent seen this, I highly recommend.
So looking forward to this now.

http://www.mordheim-cityofthedamned.com/en/game

Gonzoyola
20-11-2014, 11:56
Definitely going to be getting in on this. I haven't done much with the Action RTS genre but this looks too good to pass up.

Odin
20-11-2014, 13:15
Looking promising.

BorderKing
20-11-2014, 18:14
Just bought with the 20% off.

Zweifler
20-11-2014, 18:24
just installing.. Video looked too good to ignore.. :-)

Alltaken
20-11-2014, 18:30
So... Purchased ir right away, didnt look at the price.

lonelybrick
22-11-2014, 07:23
Seen this as it's been coming along for a little while. My only pause is that I just don't do PC gaming.

Alltaken
22-11-2014, 12:05
Buy an xbox control, and play it in your living room tv

scourge66
22-11-2014, 12:41
any good? im apprehensive about pre-alpha releases. waiting for final release and steam sale.

Alltaken
22-11-2014, 13:49
Wait for final realese unless you want discount. The game will be good.
Also if you want to help the game get good, buy, give feedback

Odin
22-11-2014, 15:31
Wow, this is a game that really needs a tutorial. Not convinced yet... looks great, but the gameplay is... odd. That said, it certainly has potential.

Alltaken
22-11-2014, 15:58
It has a tutorial, albeit not very good in certain comminication aspects

Uberprivate
22-11-2014, 17:33
I've played all tutorials by now, it does have a lot of potential. If you like round-based combat and if you are okay with subpar graphics, it's quite enjoyable.

Odin
22-11-2014, 20:55
It has a tutorial, albeit not very good in certain comminication aspects

Ah yes, just discovered it, thanks!

Yeah, presumably they are going to get a native English speaker to edit the text before final release. Tutorials need to be clearer but they are definitely helping. My main problem so far is I only seem to be able to play as Skaven and Reiklanders, and can't choose my opponents, is that because the other options aren't available yet, or because I'm an idiot?

javgoro
23-11-2014, 03:09

Yeah, presumably they are going to get a native English speaker to edit the text before final release. Tutorials need to be clearer but they are definitely helping. My main problem so far is I only seem to be able to play as Skaven and Reiklanders, and can't choose my opponents, is that because the other options aren't available yet, or because I'm an idiot?

Not available yet, as far as I can tell.

Deaf Paradox
23-11-2014, 07:05
Does anyone know if this is going to be released onto tablets/iPads???

Looks like I maye have to dust off the laptop if not lol.

Alltaken
23-11-2014, 16:18

No sir! It indeed us just the fact that this is pre alpha stage of ty de game.

Meaning the bones or general concepts and programming is done, from here on we can get changes in: looks, some animations, UI, menus, information you recieve from the game.
After this stage we got, alpha, beta (which should have final renders and art), and then retail version.

Expect within the pre alpha 2 more warbands (possesed and Sisters of sigmar, which you play against in tutorials) and improved load times. Those 2 points were informed as future updates within this stage of the game.

Every one getting into this game needs to be aware of the stage and state of the game not to be disapointed. Also the point of this stage is to allow us to give feedback, I encourage all that can to play test this and give feedback with a possitive output (ej: I like the game, but I believe this x feature would improve our experience by this, this, and that).

Again, the game is promising, I recommend that you buy it if you're looking for a discount and can wait for realese to try it out.
If you're willing to play test it.
Or if you like it so much yet you can live with a product in progress.

Does anyone know if this is going to be released onto tablets/iPads???

Looks like I maye have to dust off the laptop if not lol.

I dont think it will, but it seems it will available for consoles. It all seems that way.

Tarrell
27-11-2014, 00:01
Love it so far, While games like Space hulk were ok, this is good, and only pe alpha.
While there are some flaws/bugs in comparison to to other Alpha's ive played, this feels more Beta, so I can wait for the finished product.
Hope they add a few more war bands for the finnal, or DLC them I dont care "TAKE MY MONEY". Want to see a vampire warband, and maybe pirates
I love how they added henchmen, also Would be cool if the fully incorporate a market.

stortotta
30-11-2014, 10:45
The game is in no way in pre-Alpha. It's in Pre-Realease, wich basically means somewhere late in Beta. Things will not be that different in the "completed" game, although much will be added. Things added is most likely already mostly done, and will start to show in the coming weeks. This is soon to be released as a full retail-game, therefore not that early in development. A few things will look a bit better, but not by much. It's mostly campaignstuff, abilities and balancing warbands left I pressume.

Odin
30-11-2014, 14:24
The game is in no way in pre-Alpha. It's in Pre-Realease, wich basically means somewhere late in Beta. Things will not be that different in the "completed" game, although much will be added. Things added is most likely already mostly done, and will start to show in the coming weeks. This is soon to be released as a full retail-game, therefore not that early in development. A few things will look a bit better, but not by much. It's mostly campaignstuff, abilities and balancing warbands left I pressume.
What information do you base that on?

Alltaken
30-11-2014, 15:05
The video of the game play states directly pre alpha

Messiah
30-11-2014, 22:44
What information do you base that on?

From Wikipedia:
Alpha
"The alpha phase of the release life cycle is the first phase to begin software testing (alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet, used as the number 1). In this phase, developers generally test the software using white-box techniques. Additional validation is then performed using black-box or gray-box techniques, by another testing team. Moving to black-box testing inside the organization is known as alpha release. ..."

Beta
"Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues and may still cause crashes or data loss. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it. ..."

It is clearly in beta whatever the devs say.

theredknight
30-11-2014, 23:30
graphics could be better but i'll give it a try nonetheless. if game play convinces me, i am totally in

Red Graf
01-12-2014, 00:39
I am enjoying it quite a bit so far. The AI needs works and the computer plays at half strength, but even this early in development there are moments that remind you of how much fun the original game was.

Last night my Reiklanders were defending the Temple of Sigmar against another Reikland gang. Their captain dropped out of the rafters and dropped my Ogre to his knees with a greatsword only to be almost immediately cut down in a hail of bullets and bolts with my captain delivery the final shot. Great stuff if you ask me.

Urgat
01-12-2014, 06:17
From Wikipedia:
Alpha
"The alpha phase of the release life cycle is the first phase to begin software testing (alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet, used as the number 1). In this phase, developers generally test the software using white-box techniques. Additional validation is then performed using black-box or gray-box techniques, by another testing team. Moving to black-box testing inside the organization is known as alpha release. ..."

Beta
"Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues and may still cause crashes or data loss. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it. ..."

Funny how changing the bold changes the reading of it.
Out of all the text, what is the most important? That's right: does the game have all its features already?

javgoro
01-12-2014, 09:38
Funny how changing the bold changes the reading of it.
Out of all the text, what is the most important? That's right: does the game have all its features already?

It doesn't. It's missing band creation, the campaigns, two out of 4 warbands... Personally, I'd call it a late-alpha, early beta stage. Usually, Alphas aren't quite as polished as this, and the game is in a fully playable state (which is what's considered the start of alpha phase), but I'm not sure I'd call it a full beta either. Still, I'm not sure that naming conventions are all that important. The game is what it is at this stage, and that's the important thing. Gameplay is very solid, and the creature and level design are great, so I'm very happy so far.

Alltaken
01-12-2014, 10:13
Let me repeat it again, the developers of the game posted a video of game play, in the focus YouTube account.
In that video, the voice caster explicity states the state of the game is PRE ALPHA, the rest of the discussion is pointless regarding alpha/beta things.

Yes, the game seems highly developed, yet many, many things are still lacking.

stortotta
01-12-2014, 14:56
The game is clearly not made up of green stick-men in empty boxes showing it's structure and joints. Therefore, it is not in Alpha. Some ppl seem to get Early Accsess and Alpha confused. I've seen it before.
And before someone shouts that Alpha does not always look that way and sometimes include the texture-stage; I know. But no Alpha is this playable. This is clearly Beta. The things that's lacking are not on the basic movement/proportions/space development stage. The things that are left are minor things compared to the grunt-work that takes place in Alpha.

Harwammer
01-12-2014, 15:37
I think much more of the game is finished (or at least mostly implemented) than is present in the Early Access version, it's just these elements have been disabled to get people to focus on the basic skirmish and tutorial mechanics.

stortotta
01-12-2014, 15:55
I think much more of the game is finished (or at least mostly implemented) than is present in the Early Access version, it's just these elements have been disabled to get people to focus on the basic skirmish and tutorial mechanics.

Not at all impossible.
On a side note, I didn't want to start a big discussion about it, or come a cross as some know-it-all-d**k. If I did, I appoligize. It's not even important what they/we/anyone calls it, it is what it is, and it will be completed sooner rather than later.
Peace and love!

Tarrell
03-12-2014, 01:10
Honestly All this pre aplha/pre beta/ finished discussion is not why I made this thread. This is a "Hey guy's check it out".
On the subject of where the game is at: if I start to write a book/ Paint a model and you say "hey looks half done/ nearly finished".
While I appreciate the comment, if I say "nope I just started really, still a lot to do". You should take what I say as fact, and not simply put your own theories on where you think "things are at"
The developers of the game posted a video of game play & voice caster clearly and explicity states the state of the game is PRE ALPHA.
I think they know where their at.

Harwammer
04-12-2014, 07:29
Some Fixes and Balance Tweaks have been patched into the game.

Fixes

•Network Connectivity: We were aware, but were also advised of several problems associated with launching a mission (client would be disconnected) and timeouts when loading which would create "infinite loadings." We've corrected both these issues. As a result the loading has been optimized and runs asynchronously, So loading the maps should now be faster.
•Typos: There should be no more “Skavens” in the game, only Skaven. Other spelling corrections in loading screens have been made. Morale, not moral.
•Charge: Charge-ing around fences which have colliders but large "see through" areas will now block charge.
•AI blocked: when ambushing a unit in stairs, and attempting to engage, AI should behave better or not trigger Ambush.
•Ambush/Overwatch: When a unit is stunned it will no longer attempt to ambush. units will no longer attempt to ambush when they are engaged.
•Overview Map: icons should update their colour and visibility correctly.
•Merchant Map 2: The broken deployment "Cache" has been corrected and all deployments on all maps should work correctly.

Balancing Tweaks

• Modified Parry and Dodge base rolls to 30% instead of 60%
• Reduced damage of ranged weapons
• Increased amount of traps generated in Procedural Maps
• Careless Strike bonus has been reduced to 100% damage boost while melee resistance has been reduced to 50%

http://forum.mordheim-cityofthedamned.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=547

javgoro
04-12-2014, 11:56
Some Fixes and Balance Tweaks have been patched into the game.

Fixes

•Network Connectivity: We were aware, but were also advised of several problems associated with launching a mission (client would be disconnected) and timeouts when loading which would create "infinite loadings." We've corrected both these issues. As a result the loading has been optimized and runs asynchronously, So loading the maps should now be faster.
•Typos: There should be no more “Skavens” in the game, only Skaven. Other spelling corrections in loading screens have been made. Morale, not moral.
•Charge: Charge-ing around fences which have colliders but large "see through" areas will now block charge.
•AI blocked: when ambushing a unit in stairs, and attempting to engage, AI should behave better or not trigger Ambush.
•Ambush/Overwatch: When a unit is stunned it will no longer attempt to ambush. units will no longer attempt to ambush when they are engaged.
•Overview Map: icons should update their colour and visibility correctly.
•Merchant Map 2: The broken deployment "Cache" has been corrected and all deployments on all maps should work correctly.

Balancing Tweaks

• Modified Parry and Dodge base rolls to 30% instead of 60%
• Reduced damage of ranged weapons
• Increased amount of traps generated in Procedural Maps
• Careless Strike bonus has been reduced to 100% damage boost while melee resistance has been reduced to 50%

http://forum.mordheim-cityofthedamned.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=547

Good tweaks all around, but I think they've gone a bit too far with the ranged weapons nerf (they've cut their damage by a good 30-40% in my estimation, which means it takes forever to kill anybody with ranged weapons, more so given that they have to reload in between shots, whereas some characters get two melee attacks).

Kingly
04-12-2014, 12:26
Wow really nice to see such fine tuning in the game updates. Good work.

Odin
04-12-2014, 17:43
Good tweaks all around, but I think they've gone a bit too far with the ranged weapons nerf (they've cut their damage by a good 30-40% in my estimation, which means it takes forever to kill anybody with ranged weapons, more so given that they have to reload in between shots, whereas some characters get two melee attacks).
Indeed, I'd have thought it would be much more sensible to reduce the reliability of hitting with ranged weapons, as it was usually around the 80-100% mark.

Also, bows shouldn't have to reload. That's the whole advantage they have over crossbows and handguns. More shots but less damage and less accuracy for unskilled users.

Tarrell
05-12-2014, 02:19
Agreed bows shouldn't have to reload, also they should be more accurate than say cross bows or hand guns, but less armour pen/ damage/ range.
Pistols should have a much shorter range, and medium damage, cross bows the longest range and highest armour pen, but mid damage, and hand guns in between cross bows and bows, except worse reliability of hitting but high damage if it does.
Also I wonder if we will see the old Blunderbuss, aka op shotgun.

And if they introduce either the blunderbus/ hockland long rifle then they need a whole turn to reload

Bowmen should have the characteristics of light snipers e.g: Move out of cover, aim fire, move back. while all the other weapons take time to load and aim.

Alltaken
05-12-2014, 09:17
Agreed bows shouldn't have to reload, also they should be more accurate than say cross bows or hand guns, but less armour pen/ damage/ range.
Pistols should have a much shorter range, and medium damage, cross bows the longest range and highest armour pen, but mid damage, and hand guns in between cross bows and bows, except worse reliability of hitting but high damage if it does.
Also I wonder if we will see the old Blunderbuss, aka op shotgun.

And if they introduce either the blunderbus/ hockland long rifle then they need a whole turn to reload

Bowmen should have the characteristics of light snipers e.g: Move out of cover, aim fire, move back. while all the other weapons take time to load and aim.
Did you ever play mordheim?

HisBrettness
05-12-2014, 09:29
Concerning reloading bows: I know you have to reload, but as far as I know you dont have to spend points to reload. It is free for bows

Harwammer
05-12-2014, 14:25

I remember my 'friend's elves would have a combination of skills that would let them shoot their bows without revealing themselves from hide. It was brutal. My other 'friend' had a warband of 20 orcs and a troll. *shudder* 14 witch hunters (thanks to a Halfling cook and book) didn't hold up to either too well!

Grok
05-12-2014, 15:38
I remember my 'friend's elves would have a combination of skills that would let them shoot their bows without revealing themselves from hide. It was brutal. My other 'friend' had a warband of 20 orcs and a troll. *shudder* 14 witch hunters (thanks to a Halfling cook and book) didn't hold up to either too well!
Well the elves were too overpowered and were removed from the official warbands list while the game was still supported. And the Orcs are hardly overpowered in my experiance, unless you spam crossbows, but thats true to any band. They are currently doing a very good job of messing all my plans due to animosity and even killing eachother. You thought animosity was bad in WHF? Well try having to test for EACH henchmen model every turn. When you have max heroes and a troll it comes up to 13 tests each turn when you max out on boyz :p

Alltaken
05-12-2014, 17:03
Well chase elves with flagellants. And position all your hunters with crossbows one move away from sight. Reveal them with the flaggies and take them down with stronger shots.

Orcs also die to crossbows and flaggies a like.
It should have been 16 with the halfling btw

Odin
07-12-2014, 12:44
It should have been 16 with the halfling btw

How do you work that out?

Tarrell
07-12-2014, 23:39

Yes Played it alot, I was describing how things should work out in the video game, not on the table.

What I also really hope they incorporate into the game is Loot finding hunting, after the battle.
Eg the old double/ tripple rolls for each character.
And while agree the out of action can mean your character dies or is disfigure'd I would like to see: Captured A) and you buy back for Ransom, b) Sacrificed by other warband (cultists), c) Forced to be a gladitor and returns stronger in body but suffers psychosocial tests/ causes fear (horrible scaring).

And we did try out my shadow warriors, your not wrong about OP.

Alltaken
08-12-2014, 16:06
Yes Played it alot, I was describing how things should work out in the video game, not on the table.

What I also really hope they incorporate into the game is Loot finding hunting, after the battle.
And while agree the out of action can mean your character dies or is disfigure'd I would like to see: Captured A) and you buy back for Ransom, b) Sacrificed by other warband (cultists), c) Forced to be a gladitor and returns stronger in body but suffers psychosocial tests/ causes fear (horrible scaring).

And we did try out my shadow warriors, your not wrong about OP.
You do remember then that guns had the higgest pen, S4 and gun powder. -2 armor. And had a very small range.

Crossbows had the same range as longbows, move and fire and S4.

If you check medieval longbows they are pretty close to crossbows. So S of the he longbows should a point up.

Also in the Fantasy world gun powder weapons are way more advanced than early medieval gun powder weapons and more reliable.

I think it should keep the games work on that but add some different functions, like trick shots on bows and better stand and shoot options for crossbows

Alltaken
08-12-2014, 16:22
How do you work that out?
Sorry, misremembered and though you could have 15 people like other warbands, not 12 Max.

I recall skaven having 20 tops, which was quite op.

Odin
08-12-2014, 17:40
Sorry, misremembered and though you could have 15 people like other warbands, not 12 Max.

I recall skaven having 20 tops, which was quite op.
Yeah, witch hunters got a bit stuffed. Useless special rules compared to the boosts Reikland and Middenheim got, pretty useless zealots, and the smallest warband size. Of course, you could always max out on crossbows, warhoubds and flagellants but I preferred more variety.

Alltaken
08-12-2014, 18:01
Yeah, witch hunters got a bit stuffed. Useless special rules compared to the boosts Reikland and Middenheim got, pretty useless zealots, and the smallest warband size. Of course, you could always max out on crossbows, warhoubds and flagellants but I preferred more variety.
Well flaggies are way more interesting that most henchmen really.
Acording to what I remember if a henchmen group maxed one stat and got that stat when rolling a lvl up he could pick what to raise, which was the only way to get extra wounds, and flaggies got S and T maxed.

Also the WH are the only ones the can get academics on all heroes. Get haggle on all and get massive $ differences.

And the warrior priest + ogre healing all wounds.

Tarrell
08-12-2014, 23:38
You do remember then that guns had the higgest pen, S4 and gun powder. -2 armor. And had a very small range.

Crossbows had the same range as longbows, move and fire and S4.

If you check medieval longbows they are pretty close to crossbows. So S of the he longbows should a point up.

Also in the Fantasy world gun powder weapons are way more advanced than early medieval gun powder weapons and more reliable.

I think it should keep the games work on that but add some different functions, like trick shots on bows and better stand and shoot options for crossbows

I do remember that however if you use those rules things will go OP on certain weapons.
So I broke things down to Bows= Quick fire weapons with a shor to medium range, that do not require reloading points. accuracy = the bowmen. Light damage but can pin enemy's.
Handguns medium range to long range, high damage at close range but less at long (account for bullet drop/ decrease in velocity. (Its a Handgun, not a rifle and even english muskets only fired accurately at a yard or so.) Accuracy is bad at long range. Takes time to reload and aim
Cross bows, medium to long, heavy and takes half a turn to load/aim. More accurate than a handgun but less than a bow. As crossbow bolts were designed to punch through armour they should be better at it than a handgun, especially at long range.

Again ye WF black powder is better, but really do we want all merc warbands equipped with handguns and long swords? Each weapon should have a distinct advantage and diss advantage, that way having a crossbow man and 2 bowmen in a warband makes sense, 2 guys that do light damage but pen targets, and a heavy hitter.

*If you check medieval longbows they are pretty close to crossbows. So S of the he longbows should a point up. *

I both agree and diss-agree; Yes English Yew Longbows have been reported to outshoot some crossbows (remember there are many types of crossbows). However
this game is based in a ruined city, who in their right mind brings man sized longbows to fight in close quarters? Bows on the other hand are much smaller, easy to use, though don't have the same punch or range as a crossbow.

Trickshot and those are the hero upgrades, while a great idea, I think that's something to be added as polish at the end of the beta. mechanics is more important atm.

Harwammer
11-12-2014, 19:59
Mordheim Early Access has been updated to phase 2.

Sisters are now in.

Some customisation now allowed.

Get testing :D

Tarrell
12-12-2014, 02:26
Mordheim Early Access has been updated to phase 2.

Sisters are now in.

Some customisation now allowed.

Get testing :D

Cheers :cheese:

Necromancy Black
12-12-2014, 07:26

Devs have stated that this will actually take place in game. As you you need to put time into exploration during the battle. Think items you find can also be lost if the person holding them die.

New patch is looking pretty good. The Devs are also super up front with known issues, there's a list on the steam forums. Really great attitude they've got.

makkah
12-12-2014, 10:48
Game sounds like a blast; waiting to purchase a new computer to get into it though...

tristessa
12-12-2014, 11:46
Game sounds like a blast; waiting to purchase a new computer to get into it though...

Me too! Will definitely give it a go though.

mattieice
13-12-2014, 11:31
Hey what's up necro? watched your stream yesterday. I managed to get my exe to work now i just need the time off to play it!

Odin
13-12-2014, 19:24
Devs have stated that this will actually take place in game. As you you need to put time into exploration during the battle. Think items you find can also be lost if the person holding them die.

New patch is looking pretty good. The Devs are also super up front with known issues, there's a list on the steam forums. Really great attitude they've got.
From the post-game screen it looks like it happens both in-game and post-game. I like it, forces you to choose how greedy you want to risk being.

Urgat
20-12-2014, 08:27
I've bought Valkyria Chronicle yesterday evening on Steam. Now I remember where I'd seen Mordheim's gameplay before :p

duffybear1988
22-12-2014, 10:00
I'm actually having a fair bit of fun with Mordheim at the moment. It needs tweaking but it looks to be good when it's finally released.

@Urgat - I love VC.

Urgat
24-12-2014, 14:43
@Urgat - I love VC.

Yeah it's pretty awesome isn't it? Been a while since I was this hooked by a game. I heard the Steam release completly outsold all the big names currently available, here's hoping it convinces Sega to port the other two on PC as well. And... I'm done with the OT now, you guys can go back to discussing Mordheim :p