PDA

View Full Version : Softback Nagash & Glottkin sold out

jorgepo
21-11-2014, 18:42
What? So the softbacks that were ordered to make up for underestimating the demand for the hardbacks are sold out 30 minutes after hitting the web store? Mind boggles. The "Back by popular demand" line just above "Sold Out" is golden.

Lord Hurin
21-11-2014, 18:55
I never even spotted them on the Canadian store, nor can I seem to find them at all on the U.S. one. WTF, GW?! Lol

jorgepo
21-11-2014, 19:07
Weird, I still see them. Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/Choije3.png

Orange Sherbet
21-11-2014, 19:56
Don't fret, they are not limited like the hardbacks.

They will be in-stores in Dec.

Orange Sherbet
21-11-2014, 19:56
Also, plenty of copies left on UK store.

Greyshadow
21-11-2014, 20:10
So great to see a resurgence in demand for Warhammer. Future of the game looks just that little bit brighter. Am delighted about that too.

doomspittle
21-11-2014, 20:49
Problem is they could be making so much more by not doing such a limited run.No one in my gaming group managed to get a copy, that's six extra books they could have sold. Their clueless.

TheZombieSquig
21-11-2014, 23:01
I don't understand why GW are so desperate for people to torrent their stuff

Collector
21-11-2014, 23:43
But I got 2 copys and would pay 6 times as much per copy to make sure they are limited and I get them :p.

Alltaken
22-11-2014, 11:52
Problem is they could be making so much more by not doing such a limited run.No one in my gaming group managed to get a copy, that's six extra books they could have sold. Their clueless.
They where clueless, right now its just not feasable to deliver to the level of demand anytime fast. Simple as a pimple.

malisteen
22-11-2014, 12:52
Pretty much. The current numbers on the new hardcover books are still suffering under the original, dramatically underestimated demand. and the paperbacks, despite the inflated price (yes they're cheaper than the hardcovers, but only just barely), are also unable to meet demand.

This is not some brilliant ploy, or deliberate, malicious market manipulation. The ideal production for them is one book for everyone who will buy one, plus one left over in each of their stores. GW makes their money off the models, but people are dramatically less likely to buy these models if they cannot get the rule & story books for them. Even with the rules for the individual units in the boxes, there's no point to buying something like nagash if you can't get the rules for the undead legion (the only army that can run him) or the lore of undeath (about which most of his special rules revolve), and those are still in the Nagash books only, which are, once again, sold out. Not only does it not serve GW's business model, it would be directly counter to it to artificially spike demand for game books at the cost of leaving model sales on the table.

Especially going into the holidays, and especially when End Times fever may itself be a phenomenon with a limited lifespan. How many fewer $105 Nagash models and $85 mortarchs and $60 morghasts will they sell when all is said and done if many of the people who would have bought them while the End Times was today's big thing couldn't get their hands on the rules until End Times becomes yesterday's old news?

This isn't a disaster. Wildly overestimating demand is a disaster, but wildly underestimating it still isn't good for them, it isn't deliberate, it isn't what they want, and they're certainly doing what they can to fix it. Sadly, they didn't really leave any time to correct themselves before the holiday season, which will certainly cost them in terms of sales that aren't just made later, but are never made at all.

Replicant253
22-11-2014, 13:42
Pretty much. The current numbers on the new hardcover books are still suffering under the original, dramatically underestimated demand. and the paperbacks, despite the inflated price (yes they're cheaper than the hardcovers, but only just barely), are also unable to meet demand.

This is not some brilliant ploy, or deliberate, malicious market manipulation. The ideal production for them is one book for everyone who will buy one, plus one left over in each of their stores. GW makes their money off the models, but people are dramatically less likely to buy these models if they cannot get the rule & story books for them. Even with the rules for the individual units in the boxes, there's no point to buying something like nagash if you can't get the rules for the undead legion (the only army that can run him) or the lore of undeath (about which most of his special rules revolve), and those are still in the Nagash books only, which are, once again, sold out. Not only does it not serve GW's business model, it would be directly counter to it to artificially spike demand for game books at the cost of leaving model sales on the table.

Especially going into the holidays, and especially when End Times fever may itself be a phenomenon with a limited lifespan. How many fewer $105 Nagash models and $85 mortarchs and $60 morghasts will they sell when all is said and done if many of the people who would have bought them while the End Times was today's big thing couldn't get their hands on the rules until End Times becomes yesterday's old news?

This isn't a disaster. Wildly overestimating demand is a disaster, but wildly underestimating it still isn't good for them, it isn't deliberate, it isn't what they want, and they're certainly doing what they can to fix it. Sadly, they didn't really leave any time to correct themselves before the holiday season, which will certainly cost them in terms of sales that aren't just made later, but are never made at all.

Agreed. So much rubbish being posted about gw intentions. They underestimated demand, it really is as simple as that, and the slow gears of their production system have only now been able to respond via the paperback release. I would wager those paperback releases were not part of the original release plan and they had someone in the uk or Europe do them at a higher cost . I'm hopeful the Nagash sell out convinced them to pick up the phone to the printers in China and ramp up production on the 4th and 5th book.

Commodus Leitdorf
22-11-2014, 14:10
Ugg this whole situation is just silly stupid. "GW! I'm trying to GIVE YOU MY MONEY!! Why can't you have sufficient supply!?!"

Jeez, trying to throw money at GW for ridiculously over priced rule books and they can't even bother to have enough to go around.

SteveW
22-11-2014, 14:40
Its funny how GW makes things like rule books and magic cards limited release. Even a less than stellar businessman should know every player wants these things.

quizmaster
22-11-2014, 14:41
What? So the softbacks that were ordered to make up for underestimating the demand for the hardbacks are sold out 30 minutes after hitting the web store? Mind boggles. The "Back by popular demand" line just above "Sold Out" is golden. I Don't know which web you checked, but they are still up for sale (UK webstore)!

Lord Dan
22-11-2014, 17:05
They'd do well to actually, you know, communicate with the community in situations like this.

Greyshadow
22-11-2014, 19:26
Good point Lord Dan, they have our email addresses and a daily blog, plenty of avenues to address this. Hardly an embarrassing problem to advertise they are having trouble meeting demand. I guess the problem is they do like their limited edition stuff at the moment. I have no problem with their products having a shelf life but the single print run model may be cheaper for them but maybe not in the best interest of their customers.

On the positive side, the vast majority of their core product, their models, are around for a long time and have their stock levels maintained. You can still get the original Teclis from 1992 for example.

Collector
22-11-2014, 22:54
I told you all this was coming, after nagash I think all rulebooks will be lmited for now on with maybe a few softcovers then they push there ipad version.

Lord Dan
23-11-2014, 00:41
I told you all this was coming

You're among the greats, now.

;)

Ramius4
23-11-2014, 00:49
They'd do well to actually, you know, communicate with the community in situations like this.

That's preposterous. That would imply that they're also doing market research. And we know they don't do anything so sensical as that. ;)

forseer of fates
23-11-2014, 01:17
Communicate in the form of the inquisition coming to get us.....

Commodus Leitdorf
23-11-2014, 02:15
Its funny how GW makes things like rule books and magic cards limited release. Even a less than stellar businessman should know every player wants these things.

That's the really silly part. The releases they have already had are not for everyone. I don't play VC or Tomb Kings and, although I have a real soft spot for Nurgle, I have 2 army projects and a ton of Bones minis I'm working on for a DnD campaign. I'm not going to spend money on a mini that's going to be thrown in the pile for a project I MIGHT get to MAYBE in the not too distant future.

But books and cards? Sure! I'll buy those and I can use what I already have to play with them and maybe even spark an interest to expand my already stupidly big collection.

Col. Tartleton
26-11-2014, 01:53
Yeah. I mean if its got Adrian Smith art on it I'll probably be convinced to spend money.

Col.Gravis
02-12-2014, 08:33
Still have some at my FLGS, Kirton Games (http://www.kirtongames.com).

Lord Dan
06-12-2014, 17:31
The Games Keep in West Chester, PA has a hardback copy of both Khaine and Glottkin, as well.