PDA

View Full Version : Points cost versus dollar amount

Lord Greyskull
22-11-2014, 10:51
I have been thinking about getting a Hive Crone to finish off my 2000pt Tyranid army. The model is $80 at 165 pts with stinger salvo. But then with the new drop pods out now, they might be more useful. But at $126 and also 165pts, I could have a tyrannocyte, a sporocyst and 1 mucolid spore. So my problem is do I spend that much even though I think the 3 would be more useful than the hive crone. But I really like the look of the crone better.

When you build your army, does cost versus what you are getting factor into the make up of your army?

Hicks
22-11-2014, 21:51
When you build your army, does cost versus what you are getting factor into the make up of your army?

Absolutely. Right now I want to build a small 40K force to use with alternate rules (love the universe, hate the game). I have a couple factions I would like, but it's going to boil down to what I can get the cheapest. I don't mind paying for things I think a worth it, but I won't, say, buy 300$ worth of Ork Boyz, just because of how cheap and weak they are, not to mention the hours of painting.

Things can go the other way too. I always wanted a Caprice force for Heavy Gear Blitz! But even if you don't need a lot of models, they are so crazy expensive that I never took the plunge.

Beppo1234
22-11-2014, 22:07
I use storage space as the constraint for my collection/spending. Each army must perfectly fill whatever carry case they are being stored in.

jason_sation
22-11-2014, 22:10
I'm convinced that Vets as troops (previously elites) were introduced in the last IG codex because GW realized that when they went from a 20 man box to a 10 man box it would be too expensive to start a horde army, and nobody new would start an IG force from then on. Outside of the 5 man snap fit boxes, it blows my mind to think of anyone spending that much money on making a Conscript army unless you already had the models from over the years.

T10
22-11-2014, 22:48
Pick any two: Monetary cost. Personal preference. Army size.

If you want a Crone, but you can only afford one with a smaller army? Consider getting one today and using a smaller army, or a get a piggybank and save up to get one down the road if the army size is your primary concern.

Most players are quite accomondating when it comes to playing smaller-sized games: Its the choice between a game or no game, after all.

-T10

Althenian Armourlost
23-11-2014, 04:57
My primary factor is the stickability of the models, and how well they fit in a miniatures case. I love kids, but the models are so points and spread out that they require so many cases to move them. I mostly play Eldar, as they are easy to transport, but not boxy and crap like all the Imperial armies are. Dark Eldar are also nice, but a nightmare to transport too :(

Still Standing
23-11-2014, 22:14

Not at all, or I wouldn't have switched to 30k armies!

Konovalev
24-11-2014, 14:25

No, but it does play a large part in deciding if I run that army. I haven't played my Necrons since the last codex dropped, not because I dislike the new codex but because I'm unwilling to spend the amount necessary to run the army I want to run. I also refuse to compromise and run an army with what I've got under the new book.

So instead I shift my focus to one of my other armies which I would prefer to play over Necrons anyway. As time passes and interest lulls in my other armies, I will eventually go back and update my Necron army. Which works out fine for me, I'm not updating every army I own every time they get a new rulebook/new edition. Instead I have 1-2 armies I update and play with while the rest are set aside for future use.

gwarsh41
24-11-2014, 15:33
The $10 per bike is why I have never tried space marine bikers. I bought one box to give some HQs bikes so they can run with my TWC. I like the idea of all TWC and bikes, but it would be very expensive, so I don't.

druchii
24-11-2014, 16:03

Yup. In fact, I was debating between a Coven themed DE army with a bunch of wracks in venoms and some custom grotesques or a new Tyranid army, and I ended up going with 'Nids because of the $200+dollar difference in costs. The holidays are here, and that's $200 towards a gift for myself that isn't warhammer! :D

d

sicarius68
24-11-2014, 16:11
I'm working on a gk army I just finished my imperial guard army (well let's say I finished the core of the army, so I'm going to expand on it) I'm a fluff player so let's be honest the GK are going to be way cheaper even though the terminator squad is 35 euros

Orange Sherbet
24-11-2014, 18:31
Sadly I would prefer Points over Pounds, but my current project is AutoCannons in CSM, which is almost all FW.

Normally however I do tend to pick options i have access to. I mean if I want 4 MM in a dev squad, i would either need FW or 4 Dev squads. So I choose ML or HB, which are more cost effective.

Sephillion
24-11-2014, 18:48

Absolutely. Whenever I buy a model, I consider it’s cost in $, it’s value in pts, its role/impact in the army, as well as the actual model: do I like it? Is it big/complex?

There are some models I avoided in various wargames because of their $ price/pts value ratio.

Gerod253
24-11-2014, 23:17
I used to buy whatever took my fancy. Now, however, I've learned my lesson. I always consider the cost of a figure, both in money and time spent to build it, before deciding if it will actually get added to the army or not.

Sometimes I'll buy the cool thing, even if its' cost is slightly higher then normal, but I usually just convert my standard models to represent the more niche units from any given Codex. Bits buying is your friend here. It helps keep the costs down and prevents the build up of a massive bit box which you'll rarely use.

MrKeef
25-11-2014, 00:38
Personally, I'm a collector. I buy either for coolness or for price.

If something looks really cool and would fit in well with my army, I'll think about it for a while and then maybe buy it. Sometimes I see things being sold at a fraction of their usual value though, and I end up buying those kind of things a lot more often than I would like to admit. It's part of the reason I have my misfit Inquisition armies in the pipeline.

I'm convinced that Vets as troops (previously elites) were introduced in the last IG codex because GW realized that when they went from a 20 man box to a 10 man box it would be too expensive to start a horde army, and nobody new would start an IG force from then on. Outside of the 5 man snap fit boxes, it blows my mind to think of anyone spending that much money on making a Conscript army unless you already had the models from over the years.

No, I don't think it's that. I think they were changed so that IG didn't only have one troop choice. Every army has a standard troop choice and then at least one other option, and this let IG armies not have to take a minimum of 50 men in two platoons. It unlocked more varied army types

When you give them the option of not having hoard armies any more, you can have mech heavy armies. The new Leman Russes and Chimeras came out soon after the last codex, right?

Just Tony
25-11-2014, 00:43

I go for what I think will accomplish the task ascribed to it. Right now I plan on adding two more Vindicators to my Crimson Fists army, cost only affects WHEN I'll get it, not IF.

Dr.Clock
25-11-2014, 01:02
Cost has also affected whether I bother getting the 'official model', and most especially at full retail NIB... My Khorne marines are the result of a long odessey of buying mongrel ebay hordes in the pursuit of a heavy infantry, NO TANK marine army. I've built a maulerfiend from an old and super-busted landspeeder for them, and drastically converted the Skull Throne into another Mauler.

Sometimes it's also true that 'direct point value' is less important than the utility your get from a unit... 125 points for a mauler is amazing value, while 195 for a Defiler when 'Grinders are a thing is not...

I look at the new 'Nid spores as interesting, very helpful units that open up a new/old list for 'nids (aggressive drop), but 'Nids can be built effectively in alot of different ways. Right now mobility is king, however, so infantry and walking MC horde 'Nids will find a couple of spores very helpful for getting pressure where it needs to be.

I think you need to look at the kinds of lists those two unit selections will show up in... if you really WANT a podding army - dropping mad infantry to box in the enemy and smother him - then do it to really, really well and invest in 3 or so pods, and figure out a way of converting to get Mucolids out of those boxes as well...

The Hive Crone is a utility unit, though, and can be a real work horse in almost any list - those haywires and swooping to take care of armour helps out Nids immensely, who can suffer from lack of decent AT (at range). If you get ONE Crone, though, 2 will likely be in the cards... 'Nids, not unlike almost any army currently, gets alot of mileage out of redundancy.

I think the real question you might want to answer is, "Am I making 'pod 'Nids, or flying 'Nids... first". It may end up being 'Which of these will I most enjoy building or painting right now', if you know that you want both in the same army.

Just my 0.02

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Voss
25-11-2014, 01:51

Yep. But then so does fiddly nonsense and army transportation issues; which for me rules out flying bases and Giant Wacky Things of Doom, the latter of which seems to be GW's primary focus these days (seriously, there have been a bare handful of actual units for the last 6 months).

But since I haven't bought anything in the last year, it doesn't matter all that much.