PDA

View Full Version : Ork Traits Version 3

The Dude
26-06-2006, 08:13
Hello All,

After the last posting, my Ork Traits idea has had a further evolution. Thanks to the guys over here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38676), with some gold from starlight and "Mad Mek" Kreigsherr, I have busted out a full "Vanilla" list and the changes brought about by the different Traits.

Vanilla:
HQ
Boss
3 Levels: Big Boss, War Boss, War Lord (2000+ pts only)
Nobz Bodyguard

0-1 Mek Boss
2 Levels: Big Mek, Mek Boss
Burna Boyz Bodyguard

0-1 Pain Boss
2 Levels: Pain Boss, Mad Dok
Cyborkz Bodyguard

0-1 WierdBoy (does not count towards compulsory HQ)
2 levels: Wierdboy, Warphead

0-1 Nobz Mob

Elites
0-1 Flash Gitz
0-1 Skarboyz
0-1 Madboyz
0-1 Kommandoz
0-1 ‘Ard Boyz

Troops
Slugga Boyz
Shoota Boyz
Grotz Mob
0-2 Stikkbommaz
0-2 Burnaz
0-2 Tankbustaz

Fast Attack
Truck boyz
Trakz / Buggyz
0-1 Stormboyz
0-2 Bikez Mobz
0-2 Squig Rider Mobz

Heavy Support
0-2 Lootaz
0-1 Looted Vehicles
0-1 Battlewagonz
0-1 Stompa
0-1 Squiggoth
0-2 Big Gunz
Dreadnoughtz
Killa Kanz

Traits
You can take up to 3 minor Traits, 1 Major and 2 Minor or 2 Major Traits
Choppy: cannot take with Shooty, Sneaky or Meky
Shooty: cannot take with Choppy, Squigy or Noisy
Meky: cannot take with Squigy, Looty or Choppy
Squigy: cannot take with Meky, Buildy or Shooty
Buildy: cannot take with Looty, Sneaky or Squigy
Looty: cannot take with Buildy, Meky or Noisy
Sneaky: cannot take with Noisy, Buildy or Choppy
Noisy: cannot take with Sneaky, Shooty or Looty

Choppy:
0-2 Skarboyz
1+ Slugga Boyz
0-1 Shoota Boyz
0-1 Big Gunz
No Flash Gitz

Ded Choppy:
Unrestricted Skarboyz
0-1 Skarboyz may take ‘Uge Choppaz at X pts per model
2+ Slugga Boyz
No Shoota Boyz
No Flash Gitz
No Big Gunz
No Kustom Shootaz
No Big Shootaz

Shooty:
0-2 Flash Gitz
1+ Shoota Boyz
0-1 Slugga Boyz
Unrestricted Big Gunz
No Skarboyz

Ded Shooty:
Unrestricted Flash Gitz
Unrestricted Big Gunz
0-1 Flash Gitz may take an extra Kustom Job for X pts plus cost of Job
2+ Shoota Boyz
No Slugga Boyz
No Skarboyz
No Power Clawz
No ‘Uge Choppaz

Meky:
1-3 Burnaz
0-2 Stompaz
0-1 Squig Riderz
No Squiggoth

Ded Meky:
2+ Burnaz
1+ MekBoss
Unrestricted Stompaz
0-1 Bike Mob upgrade to Deth Koptaz for X pts (always count as Fast Attack)
0-1 Warboss
No Squig Riderz
No Squiggoth
No Squig Catapaultz
No Attack Squig
No Squighound

Squigy:
1-2 Squig Riderz
0-2 Squiggoth
0-1 Burnaz
No Stompaz

Ded Squigy:
2+ Squig Riderz
0-1 Squig Riderz upgraded to Cyboarz for X pts (get Feel No Pain USR and become Elites)
Unrestricted Squiggothz
1+ Pain Boss
Warboss and Retinue and Nobz Mobz may take Squigz for X pts
No Zzap Gunz
No Mega Armour
No Mek Boss’
No Burna Boyz
No Stompaz
No Kustom Jobs

Buildy:
1+ Bike Mobz
0-2 Battlewagonz
No Looted Vehiclez
0-1 Lootaz

Ded Buildy:
2+ Bikez Mobz (Full size with Nob count as Troops)
0-1 Bike Mobz may be upgraded to Outriders for X pts (get Scouts USR and become Elites)
0-1 Truck Boyz Mob may be upgraded to Storm Rokkit Boyz for X pts (counts as Elites)
Trucks count as transports for Troops choices numbering 10 or less
Unrestricted Battlewagons
No Looted Vehicles
No Lootaz
Warboss and Retinue and Nobz Mobz may take Bikes for X pts

Looty:
1+ Lootaz
0-2 Looted Vehicles
No Battlewagonz
0-1 Bike Mobz

Ded Looty:
2+ Lootaz (Full size with Nob count as Troops)
Lootaz may take a Looted Rhino or Chimera for X points
Unrestricted Looted Vehicles
Truck Boyz may upgrade Truck to a Looted Rhino or Chimera for X points
No Battlewagonz
No Bike Mobz
0-1 Buggyz / Trakz
HQ of 10 or less may take looted Landraider as transport

Sneaky:
1-2 Kommandoz
All Slugga / Shoota Boyz Mobz may infiltrate on a D6 roll of 6+
No Storm Boyz
0-1 Kannonz

Ded Sneaky:
2+ Kommandoz (Max sized unit with Nob counts as Troops)
Elites Kommandoz may Deep Strike for X pts
All Shoota / Slugga Boyz can be given Infiltrate at X pts per model
No Kannonz
No Storm Boyz
Cannot use Powers of the Waaagh!

Noisy:
1-2 Storm Boyz
0-1 Kommandoz
Warboss may re-roll of the Powers of the Waaagh! tests

Ded Noisy:
2+ Storm Boyz (max size Mob with Nob counts as Elites)
0-1 Storm Boyz Mob may be Upgraded to Doom Diverz (like the Vulcha Skwad)
No Kommandoz
Warboss may re-roll of the Powers of the Waaagh! tests
All Mobz with a Nob may re-roll of the Powers of the Waaagh! tests.

Let me know what you think

Wargamejunkie
26-06-2006, 08:51
edit: found the answer too my own question.

Kriegsherr
26-06-2006, 11:05
sounds great!

Maybe with ded shooty you should be able to take up to 3 big gunz batteries? Else it looks very good.

And I still think the deep strinking kommandoz should take deangerous terrain test for their parachutaz. But more for fun than anything else, so it isn't really needed as it looks well balanced right now. But I might roll the dangerous t. test anyway ... just for the hell of it;)

Latro_
26-06-2006, 13:52
Bit complicated aint it?

Da Reddaneks
26-06-2006, 14:23
so the maximum number of madboyz anyone can have is 0-1 or did i miss something that makes these a troop option for snakebites?

dneff23
26-06-2006, 14:55
Besides Reddaneks Madboy question which needs addressed. I like it :) It gives Ork players a lot of options and it allows Ork players to play very diverse armies which is always good.

ZigZagMan
26-06-2006, 15:53
How about The ded-buildy option giving the each troops choice the option of takinging a trukk transport, so as to keep all the speed freeks with some options. Just trukks boyz does not speed freaks make.

ZigZagMan
26-06-2006, 15:55
NM missed that part. LOL, although elites would like some luv too.
What is a storm rockit boy?

dneff23
26-06-2006, 20:29
I am gonna print the rules and see if my gaming group will let me use them. I will let you how it goes:) My group will probably be cool with it and it will allow me to give you feedback on the system :)

The Dude
27-06-2006, 01:21
Maybe with ded shooty you should be able to take up to 3 big gunz batteries?

Bum! I meant to have that one in there! I'll go back and make the changes as they come up.

And I still think the deep strinking kommandoz should take deangerous terrain test for their parachutaz.

Yeah, I tried not to get too bogged down in the extra rules of things as it was pretty long as it was. I also think that would be a fun idea.

so the maximum number of madboyz anyone can have is 0-1 or did i miss something that makes these a troop option for snakebites?

Sorry Reddaneks. Madboyz were a late inclusion to the list so I missed them out of the Traits. If Snakebitez were, say Ded Squigy and Ded Choppy, where do you see them fitting in? Should they maybe come under Noisy? I could drop the Stormboys as the "Signature" unit for Noisy and replace it with Madboyz. That could work. Thoughts?

What is a storm rockit boy?

The Storm Rokkit is the invention of "Mad Mek" Kreigsherr (that's your name now ;)) and I've included it as an upgrade to Truk Boyz. It's essentially the Orky version of a Drop Pod. A big **** surface to surface missile with a payload of the maddest Speed Freeks around :evilgrin:. Kreigsherr came up with some rules over on the original thread as well as an awesome concept pic.

Now your Speed Freeks would be represented by Ded Buildy and Ded Meky, therefore to give the Elites some love, I could make the Deth Koptaz, Outriderz and Storm Rokkit upgrades into Elites choices.

I am gonna print the rules and see if my gaming group will let me use them. I will let you how it goes My group will probably be cool with it and it will allow me to give you feedback on the system

That'd be sweet! :D I don't really have the resources to play test myself. The whole thing started as supposition and has snowballed from there. If anyone else wants to do some play testing let me know how it goes.

cailus
27-06-2006, 01:55
Sorry but I don't think Orks should have traits. I also don't think Marines should have traits either though.

Basic lists are flexible enough to be able to come up with a fluffy army.

But I think there should be roughly 30-40 pages just on fluff in the new Ork codex so people understand the Klans, Ork Kulture, Ork Society and all things Orky. The codex as a whole should be about 140 pages but retail at the same price as a 60 page one.

GW should do this to show that they are a good corporate citizen that cares for their customers.

ZigZagMan
27-06-2006, 05:49
And thier customers should always buy thier product and not download illegal PDF's to show they are good citizens.

On another note, I was talking about giving the elites the ability to buy trukk as well, when talking about giving them some love.

starlight
27-06-2006, 06:44
Warseer eats another long post.:(

Anyways - I've already started on four variant lists for my Blood Axes.:D

I'll do my best to get some playtesting in over the summer - assuming I get my new place.:D

Damn fine work there.:D

The Dude
27-06-2006, 08:06
On another note, I was talking about giving the elites the ability to buy trukk as well, when talking about giving them some love.

Ahhh! Well I was assuming people would use their Unlimited Battlewagons for that :evilgrin:

Edit: Just made another tweak. I made Deth Koptaz ALWAYS count as FA just to close a loophole

Kriegsherr
27-06-2006, 10:02
Yeah, I tried not to get too bogged down in the extra rules of things as it was pretty long as it was. I also think that would be a fun idea.

Yeah, I also thought it might get a little bit complicated with that. But then again, You're only throwing one dice for each boy when they land.... hmmm :)

Ah, leave it as it is. Maybe after some playtesting its obvious if there is room for more insane rules or not.

Sorry Reddaneks. Madboyz were a late inclusion to the list so I missed them out of the Traits. If Snakebitez were, say Ded Squigy and Ded Choppy, where do you see them fitting in? Should they maybe come under Noisy? I could drop the Stormboys as the "Signature" unit for Noisy and replace it with Madboyz. That could work. Thoughts?

I don't see the Madboyz as real noisy unit, the stormboyz are just perfect for noisy. Madboyz should go where Wierdboyz are, maybe squigy? Maybe squigy should be renamed to feral as opposed to meky.
Or maybe there should be a ninth deviation/trait ... "weird" or "brainy" were weirdboyz and madboyz come into play.

"Mad Mek" Kreigsherr (that's your name now )

Yay.... I got promoted! :)
Now I will aspire for Big Mek ;)

starlight
27-06-2006, 23:33
The more I play around with this list, the more I like it.:D

The core is a Ded 'Ard Freebooters list and the variations let the gamers build their force (almost) any way they want without becoming *too* powerful.:D

My only (tiny) concern is that Noisy and Shooty seem related, but are exclusive.:( Sadly I don't have any suggestions at this point....but I shall ponder a bit.:D

The Dude
28-06-2006, 03:51
Yes, I had that concern too, but the way I set them up around the central 'freebooterz' list meant that it ended up that way.

Could possibly make them mutually exclusive without excluding others, but that will make some have more exclusions than others. I'll see how it looks anyway.

One_Second_of_Insanity
05-02-2007, 07:53
i like the way that this is heading but i think that meky and looty shouldnt be mutually exclusive (mainly coz im a deathskull with lotsa meks) due to the stuff that gets looted needs to be tinkered with to get working and put out a lot of dakka etc..

apart from that i think this could work quite simply and effectively