PDA

View Full Version : 'Spume on a 'Shrine and the Blightkings

MisterMatt
24-11-2014, 21:36
Before end-times I was painting a Nurgle colour-scheme WoC anyway, so I'm pretty happy with what's released.

I'm looking at an infantry army, backed by two Hellcannons and Bloab for shooty support, Bloab and Festus for magic support, with Spume as the general for his L10.

I'm divided however on whether to run Spume in a Blightking unit or stick him atop a Warshrine.

Has anyone tried running 'Spume on a 'Shrine? Has anyone tried even running 'Spume at all?

I'm thinking a Shrine gives him a pseudo-ward save by way of the "Shooting at Ridden Monsters" rule (BRB p195), plus a large base size for Nurgle's Rot, plus a bigger Inspiring Presence bubble... all this weighed up against the dangers of a bouncing cannonball?

Any thoughts?

Mitch676
26-11-2014, 07:02
i've put him on a warshrine. not tested yet. theoretically, he's a beast in combat, and the benefits the of warshrine are worth taking for me personally.

Malagor
26-11-2014, 10:32
He got a nice protection against cannons so should do good in theory.
Do try it and let us know :)

daftpunkevo
26-11-2014, 14:02
I vote for Warshrine too because it will have the pseudo ward and look totally badass...
But you can just test both

N00B
26-11-2014, 15:28
I much prefer the idea of him leading ungor. Steadfast +his profile +his leadership should be a powerful combat block. In addition you dont lose an expensive model to try and protect him with a look out sir roll.

MisterMatt
28-11-2014, 12:57
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad a few of us have had shrine thoughts. I'm edging towards this option still, albeit partly because of the conversion and painting potential as well as the sweet rules!

i see the point of ungor, 'specially on the 20mm bases. I'm still trying to get used to the idea of combined arms rather than purist WoC. I'll have to give some thought to the Ungor option...

N00B
28-11-2014, 21:13
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad a few of us have had shrine thoughts. I'm edging towards this option still, albeit partly because of the conversion and painting potential as well as the sweet rules!

i see the point of ungor, 'specially on the 20mm bases. I'm still trying to get used to the idea of combined arms rather than purist WoC. I'll have to give some thought to the Ungor option...

Another bonus of Ungor is the Eye of the Gods rule. You kind of waste him for a turn if an opponent issues a challenge. If you add him to Ungor you can take the challenge with the unit champion and he gets to kill more models.

MisterMatt
29-11-2014, 15:45
Another bonus of Ungor is the Eye of the Gods rule. You kind of waste him for a turn if an opponent issues a challenge. If you add him to Ungor you can take the challenge with the unit champion and he gets to kill more models.

The way I see the choices are:-

Spume + Warshrine
+ Larger base size
+ Inspiring Presence
+ Pseudo-ward for non-combat
- Can be tied up in challenge by enemy unit Chumpions
- Bouncing Cannonball

Blightkings:
+ Killy and tough unit
+ Unit Champion frees up your challenge
+ Unit Champion has a decent chance of winning that challenge!
- 24cm front or no ranks
- Expensive

Ungors
+ Cheap as all hell
+ Rank up nicely with Spume on 20mm bases
+ Supporting ranks
+ Cheap Look Out Sir
+ Cheap Unit Champion frees up your challenge
- crappy unit
- bonus attacks are fairly worthless

I think putting Spume in a Blightking unit is the worst choice. Either bad ranks or a potential 24cm frontage (!!!) and an expensive unit of points sink for that. Plus, really, the Blightkings do fine on their own without Spume.

The Ungors are an interesting choice. They basically surround Spume with chaff, which is pretty useful. Costs around 70 pts for this useful chaff shield.

The Shrine I keep coming back to. The reason for this mainly is the enhancements it provides to 'Spume's abilities. The enhancement it provides seem too useful to pass up.

N00B
29-11-2014, 16:33
Also... don't forget the warshrine looks badass.

I am not sure how you got 70 pts though - I think if you are taking an Ungor block you would be looking to have one that could break steadfast (With Gutrot's footprint you can get max rank bonus with 16 models).

Depending on what you are playing Ungor May be more or less useful. Vs Goblins they cost 40% more but hit on rerollable 3s so they do a little under twice as much damage (and With Gutrot's leadership this is very likely). The big limitation is S3 - if you are up against elves with light armoured infantry and low toughness they well do a lot of dying but also take a fair few models down as well.

I think I agree with you that that Blightkings as a bunker is probably the worst choice, of the other two I am not sure. Some of it may depend on magic Support - if you have offensive buffs like Wyssans Wildform or Mindrazor then the Ungor are probably better (Same for things like withering to lower toughness). This is also true if you are going for a big focus on close combat.

If you are going for more of a ranged/shooting army then the Warshrine's movement of 6 with no marching allowed is less painful for you and you can afford to sit back a little more.

ROCKY
30-11-2014, 15:16
Also I would recommend the warshrine because who knows what will happen in 9th (cannons may get a nerf) or even better when riding a chariot or monster may benefit from combined profiles and possibly the ward save that comes with the shrine. and as mentioned by the previous posters it just looks so damn cool.

Bob Arctor
30-11-2014, 22:45
Depending on what you are playing Ungor May be more or less useful. Vs Goblins they cost 40% more but hit on rerollable 3s so they do a little under twice as much damage (and With Gutrot's leadership this is very likely). The big limitation is S3 - if you are up against elves with light armoured infantry and low toughness they well do a lot of dying but also take a fair few models down as well.

I think I agree with you that that Blightkings as a bunker is probably the worst choice, of the other two I am not sure. Some of it may depend on magic Support - if you have offensive buffs like Wyssans Wildform or Mindrazor then the Ungor are probably better (Same for things like withering to lower toughness). This is also true if you are going for a big focus on close combat.

Just some anecdotal evidence, but I tried out Gutrot in a unit of 46 unmarked Ungor spears today (as part of a 2,400pt 50/50 Beasts & Warriors army) against a TK Undead Legions list. I lost a lot of models on the way into combat thanks to Khalida in a horde of archers, but when they made it in combat went pretty decisively in my favour. Later on in the game, thanks to Blades of Putrefaction giving the unit poison, they were able to take down a Necrosphinx very easily.

While Ungor may not look that impressive on paper, when they start re-rolling their hits and if facing foes with little or no armour they can really cause some damage even without the benefit of hexes and augments. Magic support to take on the tougher/more killy troops will be essential though, but fortunately Lore of Nurgle is pretty good at that. If going for Ungor might be wise to include a Bray Shaman with Beasts (or possibly Shadow) too.

King Arthur
06-12-2014, 09:41
Just saying that 30 ungor will help you break steadfast for a cheap amount.

Malagor
06-12-2014, 09:55
Why are you guys putting Spume in a horrible unit ?

stainawarjar
08-12-2014, 20:03
I keep coming back to wanting to put him with the blightkings, but it might just be because it looks cool.