PDA

View Full Version : Coming back to 40k

qurfy
25-11-2014, 21:31
Hello everyone, I am here today to ask advice on how to come back to 40k. Basically I played a little bit a few years ago, but haven't played since. I have a small CSM army with the old codex, but I want to try a different army this time around. I have my choices narrowed down to three armies; Eldar, Dark Eldar, and Tyranids. I love the models from each army choice and would be happy to paint and collect from any of the factions. I'm having trouble choosing which army to pick up and was wondering what you guys thought. To give you guys some more information on what I want from my army I will list it here

-Not a one trick pony, although that might be the way I play the army anyway :P
-I don't want to be overpowered to the point where it isn't fun for my opponents. I'm not sure where the new codex's stand, so feel free to let me know about this.
-I don't want the to be on the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to power
-(Question) Are Harlequins a solid choice for Eldar?
-A fun army
-Can have a mobile army list

Just one last side note: Fluff is very important to me and I have found that I am in love with the back stories of all the factions except Tyranids, (Mainly because I haven't read up enough on these guys, although I do plan on doing this.)
Anyway all help and advice is welcome and appreciated. Thank you! :)

powser
25-11-2014, 22:36
Hi,

I also like those three armies. I play Eldar and Dark Eldar but am also planning on getting into Tyranids.
I can answer your questions in regards to Eldar/Dark Eldar.

Eldar are considered the most powerful faction. This is primarily because of how powerful and often abused the Wave Serpent is. But even not taking that, they are still a very powerful army. Dark Eldar are probably more middle of the road. I think they are fine power wise. They can be very powerful when combined with certain Eldar combos though.
Harlequins are not a solid choice unfortunately. I really like them and try and squeeze them into some lists, but compared to the rest of the army, they just aren't as good.
Both armies are fun and mobile.

I would personally recommend Dark Eldar, they are quick, tactically rewarding, when you win you feel like you had a large hand in it, rather than just being a strong army(Eldar). Their models are brilliant. They have just had a new codex and supplement (Covens) released, which I think work very well. And best of all you can add some of those Eldar units that you might like in as battle brothers, so you kind of get the best of both worlds there.

As I said I can't comment on Tyranids, there was a lot of whinging when their codex came out, but that is standard. They have been getting some love lately and the feeling is they will be a pretty tough army.

So all in all 3 solid choices. Congrats for getting back in, I feel it is a rewarding time, with lots of quality releases happening on a speedy basis.

qurfy
26-11-2014, 04:32
Thanks for the input Powser. It's a little sad to hear that Harlequins aren't a viable choice, but at least one can use them in a Dark Eldar list. I suppose now I'm just curious what any Tyranid players have to say on the matter, or if anyone else has any input on what has been discussed thus far.

Again thank you for any and all help it really is appreciated.

Scribe of Khorne
26-11-2014, 04:42
Honestly if it was me, Eldar/DE all the way. Especially in 7th you have an ability to bring them together if you so choose, vastly increasing your options. If I had to pick one, it would be DE, more plastic range, however Eldar do look amazing as well.

Eldar are one of the better books, DE I'm not sure.

Spiney Norman
26-11-2014, 06:32
Hello everyone, I am here today to ask advice on how to come back to 40k. Basically I played a little bit a few years ago, but haven't played since. I have a small CSM army with the old codex, but I want to try a different army this time around. I have my choices narrowed down to three armies; Eldar, Dark Eldar, and Tyranids. I love the models from each army choice and would be happy to paint and collect from any of the factions. I'm having trouble choosing which army to pick up and was wondering what you guys thought. To give you guys some more information on what I want from my army I will list it here

-Not a one trick pony, although that might be the way I play the army anyway :P

Well 7th is pretty much the 1 trick pony edition, the new unbound army structure allows you to design pretty much any gimmick you like. Most other lists you see in a competitive meta will be this kind of list.

-I don't want to be overpowered to the point where it isn't fun for my opponents. I'm not sure where the new codex's stand, so feel free to let me know about this.
-I don't want the to be on the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to power
I almost want to say these two are mutually exclusive, currently 40K is the most unbalanced its been for about 10 years, Eldar and imperial knights rule the table, though it seems that Tyranids might be on the up now with the new stuff from shield of Baal. Tau are probably still quite competitive, but not having access to the new super powered psychic phase really hurts them (not least of which because their own psychic defence is non-existent)

-(Question) Are Harlequins a solid choice for Eldar?
-A fun army
-Can have a mobile army list
Harlequins... not really, at least they are one of the weaker units in the eldar list, that doesn't mean you couldn't use them alongside the stronger elements and still be fairly successful. Eldar are pretty mobile, with only really Dark Eldar really beating them on that score. Also fun really is what you make it, the current game rules are a masterpiece of lazy, poor design motivated solely by trying to sell as many plastic models as possible to people who don't really need them, you will need a first rate attitude yourself and a group of opponents with similar as you basically have to rewrite the core rules as you go.

Just one last side note: Fluff is very important to me and I have found that I am in love with the back stories of all the factions except Tyranids, (Mainly because I haven't read up enough on these guys, although I do plan on doing this.)
Anyway all help and advice is welcome and appreciated. Thank you! :)

Aren't we all ;) The fluff and background setting are one of the very few things GW still does incredibly well with their games, regrettably more than any other edition I have played in 7th edition carries no incentive to build fluffy armies.

MasterDecoy
26-11-2014, 08:00
I think you would be happy with a tyranid force.

Reasons:
1) The models are simply gorgeous, easy as hell to paint and there's a lot of room for converting if that's your cup of tea.
2) There are a variety of builds you can use when approaching army construction, and no real set "typical" force. A nidzilla force is just as fluffy as an endless swarm, or anything in between for that matter.
3) the power builds of the army range from woeful to freaking amazing depending on what you play, who your playing and what type of game your looking for. Its very easy to ramp up their power or tone it down somewhat to suit the game needs just by swapping out a few different brood choices.
4) out of all the forces, they have access to the largest amount of supplemental products, from rising leviathan parts 1, 2 and 3 to Shield of baal, to warzone valedor.
5) Genestealers are cool regardless of how they perform on the table.
6) their entire range is plastic.

nuff said.

druchii
26-11-2014, 15:49
Welcome back to the best edition of 40k yet.

Army wise what other people have said is mostly true. Eldar are good, I've been playing them since the new book and they've always been competitive. The wave serpent is the back on which the best lists in the game are made upon, so if you want friendly games, keep them to a minimum. Eldar have a great codex. Pretty much everything is good in their book. Very few duff units (like..harlequins..sorry man), which means they will be pretty competitive no matter what you include.

Dark Eldar are middle to top tier, and as said before will reward good planning and application of force over resilience. The new coven supplement is one of the best supplements in the game and entices you into using a haemunculus style army where everything has fnp, is fearless and pretty nasty in combat. You do lose some of the better DE toys, though (like reavers, the void raven and blasters). Very fun army. They're also homies with eldar and so can be present in the same army without too much issue.

'Nids are one of my favorite armies. Some top notch models, to be sure (love love love the new zoanthropes). Power wise they're pretty much in the middle of the pack, and the new releases do a great job of getting them back on par. The Tyrannocite is a huge boon to 'nid players everywhere, looks cool, and will help deliver big nasties into your opponent's face on the regular. Ironically 'nids suffer a bit in the troops department (a lot of people advocate taking two min. squads of rippers...), but have access to one of the coolest troop types in the game (tervigon).

So to answer your questions a little bit more concisely:
-none of the codeci you mentioned are limited to one trick ponies.
-Only Eldar run the risk of being OP. And you can curtail that by limiting your power units.
-none of the armies are bottom of the totem pole (poor DA and sisters...)
-Harlies aren't great.
-I've had immense fun with my Eldar and 'Nids.
-All armies are highly mobile.

d

qurfy
27-11-2014, 00:10
Thanks to everyone for the help! I didn't really expect too much advice, since this type of question is probably asked enough to annoy people. Anyways, after much thought and consideration I have decided to go with the Dark Eldar! I'm pretty excited and am already thinking of some cool themed armies. And to hear that I can include the Dark Eldar's 'homies', the Eldar, makes this all the better.

And one last question before I forget. Are Mandrakes a viable choice? I'd love to incorporate these guys in one of my themed army ideas, although even if they aren't I'll probably include them anyway.

And once again guys... Thank you so much! Happy Thanks-Giving!

-Grant

(Edit): As a side note I'll always hold a spot close to my heart for Tyranids ;)

Spiney Norman
27-11-2014, 06:37
Thanks to everyone for the help! I didn't really expect too much advice, since this type of question is probably asked enough to annoy people. Anyways, after much thought and consideration I have decided to go with the Dark Eldar! I'm pretty excited and am already thinking of some cool themed armies. And to hear that I can include the Dark Eldar's 'homies', the Eldar, makes this all the better.

And one last question before I forget. Are Mandrakes a viable choice? I'd love to incorporate these guys in one of my themed army ideas, although even if they aren't I'll probably include them anyway.

And once again guys... Thank you so much! Happy Thanks-Giving!

-Grant

(Edit): As a side note I'll always hold a spot close to my heart for Tyranids ;)

Mandrakes are a fair choice in the current codex, they're not top-flight amazing, but they did recieve a substantial boost from last edition where they failed pretty hard.

It might be worth checking out the DE tactics thread in the tactics forum before you star buying models, the current dark Eldar book is a bit of a competitive minefield, if I were you I would stay clear of wyches and hellions, at least to begin with.

Glyn
27-11-2014, 13:27
given what you posted about over-powered I'd say take the Eldar the Dark Eldar can be rediculously OP so can Tyranids the craftworlders tend to be pretty fragile.

Mack
27-11-2014, 15:55
DE are a great choice, and IMO, the most rewarding to play. When you win with them, you really feel you had an impact as a general.

SirBlackmane
27-11-2014, 22:29
given what you posted about over-powered I'd say take the Eldar the Dark Eldar can be rediculously OP so can Tyranids the craftworlders tend to be pretty fragile.
Say what?

This is quite possibly the fist time I've heard this. Generally it's the other way around between the Eldar cousins.

Tyranid FMC spam is petty good, and a lot of their ground MC choices are solid, but many of their older units are almost unplayable (I'm looking at you, Genestealers and Warriors), and Instinctive Behaviour rivals Ork Mob Rule for it's ability to randomly delete your own units.

Spiney Norman
28-11-2014, 06:18
Say what?

This is quite possibly the fist time I've heard this. Generally it's the other way around between the Eldar cousins.

Tyranid FMC spam is petty good, and a lot of their ground MC choices are solid, but many of their older units are almost unplayable (I'm looking at you, Genestealers and Warriors), and Instinctive Behaviour rivals Ork Mob Rule for it's ability to randomly delete your own units.

I think that was a troll, either that or his Eldar army recently got tabled by dark Eldar. There really is no contest between the two Eldar armies, craftworlders were THE over-powered shizz in 6th edition, that hasn't altered one iota in 7th.

SirBlackmane
28-11-2014, 11:29
I think that was a troll, either that or his Eldar army recently got tabled by dark Eldar. There really is no contest between the two Eldar armies, craftworlders were THE over-powered shizz in 6th edition, that hasn't altered one iota in 7th.
Okay, that makes me feel better. Was wondering if I missed something fundamental there.