PDA

View Full Version : DE - Doomfire Warlocks Question

largie
26-11-2014, 17:08
Hello all,

I have been searching through google and previous posts on here and couldn't find any previous posts to do with this. So if it has been raised before don't shoot me as I have tried looking :p.

The question is that with the doomfire warlocks cursed coven rule, part of it states "In the event that a Doomfire Warlock unit rolls a miscast, do not roll on the miscast table. Instead, the unit suffers D3 wounds with no armour saves allowed". Also in the main rule book it says "Whilst a character is part of a unit, both he and the unit (including any other characters that have joined that unit)are treated as a single combined unit for all rules purposes, save for the exceptions listed bellow". The exceptions are things like moving as fast as the slowest model ect.

Does this mean that if a sorceress joins the unit and miscasts, that she rolls on the miscast table or, due to the cursed coven rule only take the D3 wounds on the unit?

The way I can see it is that, it specifies the Doomfire Warlock unit, not just the Doomfire Warlocks and so the latter would be true.

Rudra34
26-11-2014, 17:21
When casting a spell, you are specifying who it is that is casting. When the doomfire warlocks cast, this is the way that they roll for miscasts. When a sorceress in that unit casts, she uses the miscast rules set up for a normal wizard. Even though they are the same unit, the source of casting is different and therefor must apply their own rules.

This is how I would play it. Applying the warlock miscast rules to a sorceress seems silly and gamey, and I would be kinda pissed if somebody played it against me that way. But that's just me :)

largie
26-11-2014, 18:32
That's how I've been playing it aswell, but with the new end times book out soon I was having a look through units and it did make me think twice. Found on page 100 of the rulebook under special rules " Unless otherwise noted in the text of the rule itself, a special rule applying only to a character does not apply to the unit, and vice versa." Which means that the sorceress would use the miscast table as normal. Should have spent more time looking through the rulebook than scrolling through forums....

Cheers for the quick reply though =)

SteveW
26-11-2014, 18:43
I have a related question. If you are in a unit of two Doomfire Warlocks(after some casualties) and one Sorceress, and a miscast is rolled by the warlocks, can the Sorceress take a wound from the D3 wounds generated?

Ograr
27-11-2014, 22:13
I'd say so.
Much like the Warlocks are subject to the effects of her miscasts, she is subject to the effects of theirs, since she is part of the unit.

furrie
28-11-2014, 06:55
I'd say so.
Much like the Warlocks are subject to the effects of her miscasts, she is subject to the effects of theirs, since she is part of the unit.

I would say no, seeing as the warlocks miscast is a special rule that the warlocks have and unless noted otherwise special rules don't transfer

Bigjuan
29-11-2014, 18:39
Hello all,

I have been searching through google and previous posts on here and couldn't find any previous posts to do with this. So if it has been raised before don't shoot me as I have tried looking :p.

The question is that with the doomfire warlocks cursed coven rule, part of it states "In the event that a Doomfire Warlock unit rolls a miscast, do not roll on the miscast table. Instead, the unit suffers D3 wounds with no armour saves allowed". Also in the main rule book it says "Whilst a character is part of a unit, both he and the unit (including any other characters that have joined that unit)are treated as a single combined unit for all rules purposes, save for the exceptions listed bellow". The exceptions are things like moving as fast as the slowest model ect.

Does this mean that if a sorceress joins the unit and miscasts, that she rolls on the miscast table or, due to the cursed coven rule only take the D3 wounds on the unit?

The way I can see it is that, it specifies the Doomfire Warlock unit, not just the Doomfire Warlocks and so the latter would be true.

Yea, let's go with this ridiculous idea. They definitely need a boost.

Smogg
29-11-2014, 21:04
Well you could treat it like all models in the unit follows the rules of the unit. But then consider the other rules as well. Example: That would mean the character would be subject to the rule: "Each time the unit cast a spell, you must nomonate one Maste of Warlocks of Doomfile Warlocks as the caster for purposes of line of sight, range etc." meaning your character would never get to cast the spell because you have to nominate a warlock each time the unit (or the character) wants to cast.

Personally I think all the Cursed Coven rules apply only to the warlocks. They suffer the wound, they have their special miscast exception, they get +1 to cast and so on. But not any characters within.

For the specific issue around the D3 wounds. Well wounds do not carry over to characters unless specified. They could be allocated to the character if the D3 wounds were distributed as for shooting. They are not though.

tehnico
18-02-2015, 17:00
Can a unit of DW's roll to dispel? For example, my Sorceress fails to dispel and can't dispel any further that phase. Can the DW's roll to dispel now?

furrie
19-02-2015, 06:56
Can a unit of DW's roll to dispel? For example, my Sorceress fails to dispel and can't dispel any further that phase. Can the DW's roll to dispel now?
they are a wizard, so yes you can use them to dispell. But you don't need a wizard to dispel, all the wizard does is adding a bonus to the dispel

General_Vega
24-02-2015, 20:35
I have a related question. If you are in a unit of two Doomfire Warlocks(after some casualties) and one Sorceress, and a miscast is rolled by the warlocks, can the Sorceress take a wound from the D3 wounds generated?

Not trying to be a dick, but once you're at the point where you're using the best army in the game and the best unit in that army and you're STILL trying to game the system to get any advantage you can, it's time to take a step back and look at yourself.

SteveW
26-02-2015, 22:36
Not trying to be a dick, but once you're at the point where you're using the best army in the game and the best unit in that army and you're STILL trying to game the system to get any advantage you can, it's time to take a step back and look at yourself.

How does that relate to my post in any way?