PDA

View Full Version : Returning Player Army Help

adam-352
26-11-2014, 22:02
So, I've decided to take a break from Fantasy for a while and try 40K again for the first time in a couple of years. For the first time I have some disposable income and I don't have to base my army choice for budget, and so I thought I'd try to do something a little different, and I would be grateful for some help from more experienced minds!

I'm liking the idea of a high mobility, high damage type thing, small numbers moving quickly, striking hard and taking objectives.

I have no real preference on the army, although I am interested in an army primarily mounted in Storm Ravens (not sure if possible or remotely effective though) and I don't mind going outlandish (lots of Fire Warriors/ Pathfinders in Devilfish?)

Doesn't have to be flyer mounted, just damn quick.

... This all sounds a bit vague, but that's why I thought I'd ask the best!

Commissar Davis
26-11-2014, 22:21
Sounds like you want Dark Eldar or maybe Eldar.
Other races can be quick using certain lists, but those two are going to be the fastest.

Hope that helps some.

Sir Didymus
27-11-2014, 08:04
Farsight Enclave is all about jump-shoot-jump.

Blood Angels is all about jump packs and can have your storm ravens.

And Grey Knights have teleporting robots :cool:

Grudgedesign
27-11-2014, 08:17
Speed Freaks! Deffkoptas, Warbuggies, Warbikes, Battlewagons, Looted wagons, Stormboys. Not only pointy-ears or fishmen can be fast!

Asura Varuna
27-11-2014, 12:00
Space Wolves can be played very effectively with low model count. Thunderwolf Cavalry are simply amazing and fulfil all your criteria. As for the rest of the army - well you don't really need to worry too hard about that because of their special detachments. A few Dreadnaughts in drop pods, or even just Grey Hunters (if using standard FoC) will let you take the fight to the enemy from the first turn.

Space Wolves also field their own variety of fliers for an air cavalry styled army.

Spiney Norman
27-11-2014, 12:20
Sounds like you want Dark Eldar or maybe Eldar.
Other races can be quick using certain lists, but those two are going to be the fastest.

Hope that helps some.

Yeah, pretty much this, the two varieties of Eldar hold the keys to mobility in 40k at the moment, if you want a bit of a challenge go with Dark Eldar. If you want to wreck face without really trying, use the Craftworld Eldar codex.

A Dark angel Ravenwing army might do what you want quite well, and they're about the only way to competitively field dark Angels left now. Blood Angels are also a possibility, but I'd recommend you wait until their new codex drops because that will make or break them.

Commissar Davis
27-11-2014, 12:30
Yeah, pretty much this, the two varieties of Eldar hold the keys to mobility in 40k at the moment, if you want a bit of a challenge go with Dark Eldar. If you want to wreck face without really trying, use the Craftworld Eldar codex.

A Dark angel Ravenwing army might do what you want quite well, and they're about the only way to competitively field dark Angels left now. Blood Angels are also a possibility, but I'd recommend you wait until their new codex drops because that will make or break them.

Don't forget Forge World armies are now acceptable just about anywhere, which has an interesting take on Eldar (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Armour_Books/IMPERIAL-ARMOUR-VOLUME-ELEVEN-THE-DOOM-OF-MYMEARA.html). No idea if the Forge World Dark Eldar units are any good.

Spiney Norman
27-11-2014, 13:27
Don't forget Forge World armies are now acceptable just about anywhere, which has an interesting take on Eldar (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Armour_Books/IMPERIAL-ARMOUR-VOLUME-ELEVEN-THE-DOOM-OF-MYMEARA.html). No idea if the Forge World Dark Eldar units are any good.

Hmmm, well the Revenant titan will lose you a lot of friends, I don't think the rest of the FW Eldar units are too bad, but the hornet is considered strong. The FW units for dark eldar are a bit of a waste of space, the tantalus is very pretty, but it's not especially competitive.