PDA

View Full Version : Cataclysm spells: Are they now official?

Memnos
29-11-2014, 15:33
So I'm going through the Storm of Magic book. There are certain rules like Wild Magic, Cantrips and [/i]Magical Flux[/i] that are specific to Storm of Magic and their rules state 'In a Storm of Magic' game.

However, the Cataclysm Spells simply require you to control one or more Arcane Fulcrums. Since you have Loremaster(And thus know all spells from a chosen lore), does this mean that Cataclysm Spells are now officially part of the lore if you first cast Summon Fulcrum? Prior to this, as there was no way to roll a Cataclysm Spell and no Arcane Fulcrums, they were by default only in Storm of Magic games.

The rules RAW seem to suggest they are. What does this mean for games from now on? As one of the conditions for using the new rules for magic is if either player wants to, does this mean if one player says "I want to use the new rules for magic", they can cast cataclysm spells?

I doubt it will make much difference as all Cataclysm Spells are higher than casting value 14 and you roll 1d6 to determine how many dice you can use to cast the spell, it is unlikely that you will decide to cast it and then roll a high enough set of dice to successfully cast it, but it's something to consider.

I happen to like the new magic. It's unlikely, with random dice being available, that people will be 6 dicing the big spells and hoping for irresistable force. It instead encourages the use of the lower level magics.

shakedown47
29-11-2014, 15:48
"If either player wants to" is as silly as the old "with the other player's permission" was uneccessary. Simply, put, if both players don't agree to the every facet of the game and a big enough disagreement arises, there won't be a game to worry about.

So, with that, just ask your opponent how they feel about it. If they're good to go, great. If they're unsure, spend 10 secs. stating your case. If they still don't want to after that, don't use the SoM spells or find a different opponent.

Memnos
29-11-2014, 16:01
"If either player wants to" is as silly as the old "with the other player's permission" was uneccessary. Simply, put, if both players don't agree to the every facet of the game and a big enough disagreement arises, there won't be a game to worry about.

So, with that, just ask your opponent how they feel about it. If they're good to go, great. If they're unsure, spend 10 secs. stating your case. If they still don't want to after that, don't use the SoM spells or find a different opponent.

That is the best answer and definitely the right one. This is more 'What can I expect if I go for a pickup game' or 'What if I go to a campaign weekend', really. In my current group(I'm moving soon), my suspicion is that we'd all try it with the Cataclysm spells and all the new rules and see if it works. If we didn't like it, we wouldn't use it.

shakedown47
29-11-2014, 16:23
Ah. Well I can only speak for my group, but in general we're all about trying the new rules out but only because it's our belief that ET is just a brief run-up to 9th. We've played 8th and it's still fun, but the new rules are a breath of fresh air for the 4th year of the edition. We haven't played SoM games for some time now, though, because the wacky spells and monsters, etc. are a bit much on a regular basis.

I'd guess that we'd allow people to use the spells from SoM along with the cataclysm spells from the new Khaine release, because as you said if they're Loremasters then they should know all the spells of the lore, even from supplements.

Kerrahn
30-11-2014, 00:22
I'd say no to using Cantrips and Cataclysm Spells unless your group agrees to it. Why? Well while you are correct in pointing out that Storm of Magic states to cast these spells you must control 1 or more Arcane Fulcrums, the actual rules 'Cantrips' and 'Cataclysm Spells' are special rules for scenarios played in Storm of Magic (no different from Reserves, Chaos Ascendant, 40k's Mysterious Objectives etc.), so if you're not playing a game of Storm of Magic, or otherwise don't agree to use the special rules Cantrips and Cataclysm Spells you can't use them.