PDA

View Full Version : There can be only one!

Gharnukk
29-11-2014, 18:51
Greetings.

In the beginning of this summer me and my wife bought a house. And we have
a son who are ten months old aswell. So one can say that my Warhammer time and my
purchases have nearly stopped. So I have decided to just go with one project right
now because that is really all I can manage. So throw a vote on the army you think
will serve me most (I like to fight) :)

Thank you.

TheMartyr451
29-11-2014, 19:22
Well if you like to fight...go with Orcs & Goblins. 'Cuz Orcs is made fer stompin'! :evilgrin:

Gharnukk
29-11-2014, 22:21
Thought that I should say some pros and cons for the armies as I see it:

Lizardmen

Love the big dinos, really great miniatures. Overall cool theme on the army.
Saurus, Tempel guards and Skinks look static and boring. Fluff is meh.

Dark elves

Great range. I simply love everything in plastic. Great fluff and competitive army.
Only downside for me is that there are so many elf players where I play...

Orcs and goblins

They are fun. Some great miniatures and some fun fluff. Great variety.
Downsides for me, finecast and that any other Troll units than River get so expensive ($$$)
And that they aren't so competitive right now.

The Empire

I love the everything that is not infantry. Great looking army on the board and have variety aswell. A challenge to play.
Dont like that close combat is a struggle. Low strenght and toughness, often hit on 4+ and kind of rely on buffs and counter attacks.

Leogun_91
29-11-2014, 22:49
There is a fun psychological trick one can do in these situations. Randomize a result and see if you are happy about it. In your case simply randomize one and put the others away. Start planning for the project for the one you have left and think about it for a few days. If during that time you regret that choice longing for one of the others, well then that one is the one you should go with. If no such thing happens then your choice is as good as any of the others. Often we kind of favor one choice higher but can't see it, randomizing a choice forces us to do so.
I use it all the time.

Still I put my biased vote on green skins cause I prefer them. Good luck with whatever project you decide on.

Spiney Norman
29-11-2014, 23:51
Interestingly I play three out of the four armies you have mentioned and as I see it the answer is orcs and goblins, here is why

Thought that I should say some pros and cons for the armies as I see it:

Lizardmen

Love the big dinos, really great miniatures. Overall cool theme on the army.
Saurus, Tempel guards and Skinks look static and boring. Fluff is meh.

Don't start an army if you dislike the models for the core units, you will resent having to paint them, and whichever way you build your army you will end up needing large numbers of either skinks or Saurus.

Also some key competitive units are finecast only (slann, salamanders, chameleons) which you've said you dislike below.

Dark elves

Great range. I simply love everything in plastic. Great fluff and competitive army.
Only downside for me is that there are so many elf players where I play...

If a meta is oversaturated by one style of army it gets pretty boring to play against, if it bothers you that you'll be playing a similar army to everyone else, choose a different one.

Orcs and goblins

They are fun. Some great miniatures and some fun fluff. Great variety.
Downsides for me, finecast and that any other Troll units than River get so expensive ($$$)
And that they aren't so competitive right now.

I'm not sure those downsides are really downsides at all, there isn't much more finecast in the O&G range than any other army, and unless you want to go warmachine heavy most of the more competitive units are plastic anyway. You can even kit the army out with plastic characters if you really want to. Probably the only real problem would be mangler squigs (and orc wizards, but converting a decent shaman from the plastic savages box wouldn't be too hard).

As for trolls I don't see the issue, the stone troll models are not only hideous, they are also the least competitive of the three troll types, and if you really want to run common trolls I don't really see a good reason why you shouldn't just use the plastic river troll models as long as your opponent knows what they are.

And anyone who has told you O&G aren't competitive any more just because they have one of the older books is spouting rubbish, we compete just fine with most of the game's armies, and savage orc bigguns are one of the fightyist units in the game.

The Empire

I love the everything that is not infantry. Great looking army on the board and have variety aswell. A challenge to play.
Dont like that close combat is a struggle. Low strenght and toughness, often hit on 4+ and kind of rely on buffs and counter attacks.

You want to start an empire army but you don't like the infantry... while it is possible to build an empire list with Knights in core, it would be a dull, one-dimensional list, infantry kind of is the Empie's MO it would be kind of odd to not use any. Again it comes back to the lizardmen point about not starting an army when you dislike the most numerous models, and if you like close combat, Empire is definitely the worst option of these four.

Gharnukk
30-11-2014, 05:23
I know some things sounds crazy Spiney :D I just dont think that you have to like everything in an army and maybe I have to thing outside the box. Maybe I need something who does not only smash faces :) Like I quit VC just because I got tired of crumble. But maybe I needed that kind of challenge...

Edit:

I forgot to mention that I like to paint. So I want it to be fun and a great color scheme can do a lot :)

leopard
30-11-2014, 13:13
Not sure which army to go for, though O&G is always fun, that said would suggest the most important question to answer is "how much time do I have each week?" - this could be a huge disadvantage for O&G as they tend to be a physically large army - thus taking time, Lizards I don't play but guessing the bigger gribblies cost points and the army can be smaller as an example.

For colours would suggest empire as you can go nuts with heraldry, but if you love fiddly details the dags etc on goblins would look very nice.

Suggest getting a couple of models second hand, just a handful from several armies and have a go with different schemes, then pick the one you enjoyed painting the most.

Keep a note of what can second, as at some point you will want a second army..

Philhelm
30-11-2014, 23:44
I would go with Dark Elves. In fact, I play Empire and want to start a Dark Elf army because (A) the model range is great, (B) the model range is mostly aesthetically coherent, (C) the core models are easy to assemble/paint, and (D) fewer models(!).

To elaborate, the core Dark Elf infantry come with the entire head and body as one piece, so you only have to glue on the arms. In addition, they generally carry their weapons in a way that is easy to paint (compared to Empire Halberdiers for example). Since they are higher point models, you won't be bogged down painting as many hordes of troops.

boli
30-11-2014, 23:55
There is a fun psychological trick one can do in these situations. Randomize a result and see if you are happy about it. In your case simply randomize one and put the others away. Start planning for the project for the one you have left and think about it for a few days. If during that time you regret that choice longing for one of the others, well then that one is the one you should go with. If no such thing happens then your choice is as good as any of the others. Often we kind of favor one choice higher but can't see it, randomizing a choice forces us to do so.
I use it all the time.

I use the same trick all the time... Sadly it always works against me for me getting some daemons/empire :p

My vote if you are reducing your army count is to consider painting/modeling options higher than you would normally as it is easier to grab an hour painting at home than 4 hours gaming at a friends.

Gerod253
01-12-2014, 05:46
Orcs and Goblins! Pure Saturday morning cartoon style fun!

My reasoning is that you are going to be inundated with children shows, stories, and art for years to come. While something more 'serious,' like Dark Elves or Empire, may appeal from time to time, you'll probably be feeling more at home with the wacky tongue-in-cheek nature of the army for a good portion of the future. Plus, if you are like me, you'll feel more 'safe' sharing Orcs and Goblins with a child, then the Dark Elves with their 'kinda evil' background.

Lizardmen run a close second because, well, dinosaurs! What kid isn't going to think their Dad is cool for teaching them about make believe dinos?!

Spiney Norman
01-12-2014, 14:49
I know some things sounds crazy Spiney :D I just dont think that you have to like everything in an army and maybe I have to thing outside the box. Maybe I need something who does not only smash faces :) Like I quit VC just because I got tired of crumble. But maybe I needed that kind of challenge...

Edit:

I forgot to mention that I like to paint. So I want it to be fun and a great color scheme can do a lot :)

I totally get that, but saying you might start an empire army but don't like any of the infantry is a bit like saying you want to start a Bretonnian army but dislike the cavalry.

Also you will be pleased to know that whichever army you pick, it will require painting, so you're good to go on that score.
It might be worth scouting around the net doing picture searches on the armies you are more interested in, looking at other peoples paint jobs and colour schemes can be pretty inspiring when you are choosing your next army, I know it was a particularly awesome autumn colour scheme that got me started on wood elves a few years back.

Gharnukk
01-12-2014, 21:30
My Empire list only have one infantry unit and a archer bunker :D