PDA

View Full Version : So I decided to support my local shop...and

ShruikhanTK
01-12-2014, 22:43
Preordered End Times Khaine and the Cards, asap like before Friday, money down and everything. Now I realize the local shop can't sit there and wait for them to come up, who expects that?... well the shipment just came in Monday and I'm rather disappointed. I was actually at my computer when the preorders went live on GW's site but decided to stick with my preorder at my local shop. So to cut to the chase, I got the book in hard back but no cards....this is leaving me with a very bitter taste in my mouth. So it seems they don't have an inventory dedicated to support their stores and cards seem to be a smash and grab on the website only.

So now I'm sitting here wondering what I should do, I've seen people offer to buy books and ship them out. Anyone willing to do that for a fellow hobbyist with the cards? I know a set is sitting on a shelf somewhere out there. Or do I have to photocopy my book, I realize they are just some spells but I wanted a nice play set of official cards you know? I'm rather upset with GW over this limited card crap. If I want to buy VC cards years after they were released why should I not be able to throw my money at a screen and make them appear?

This is actually my first thread, thanks guys.

Gustav Kohn
01-12-2014, 22:50
Sorry to tell you ShruikhanTK, but the cards didn't go to any stores. I only knew beforehand because my LGS guys told me that they weren't getting it in. If yours had been watching the order, they would have known as well. I found out prior to the preorder, so I bought some cards for myself. If you really want them, ebay is all there is left to you.

ShruikhanTK
01-12-2014, 23:19
Well they are basically the storm of magic spells no? And I have those, I'll compare them tonight. Yea I don't blame the local shop though, they came through with the Glottkin book (I missed the preorder). Its this limited run stuff thats killing me, honestly how hard is it to produce cards? Hardcover books limited I get that, but the cards are practically a must buy for people that play a lot.

I already coughed up 35 USD for the Nagash set on Ebay, I'm not really looking to support scalping though. Given how close a lot of the spells are to the storm of magic counter parts I'll probably sub them in with key differences memorized, I only need 2-4 of the spells anyways right?

bobthebobish
01-12-2014, 23:40
Unfortunately GW has drastically changed their trade policies over the years to continually cut out the brick and mortar independents. Every store is able to 'pre-order' web exclusive items only when they come online for pre order to the general public. So not only do they get a 10% lower margin but they also have to happen to have an employee who is both awake, online and able to order at exactly the right moment during the 24 hour period of time that they could possibly go online for sale when it is both direct and limit.

Now the book itself although it was limited was not a direct order item like the cards. This means that a store can call up their trade representative, make an order in advance up to their (highly limited) allocation and ensure that it will come in. Unfortunately stores get to know about what they can and can not order far to late which is what I would assume would happen as the undeath lore cards were not direct only but the end times spell cards were.

In short don't blame the FLGS for failing on this as if GW actually wanted to do business with your local store then they would have. It is GW who has decided that independent retailers do not need to be a part of their chain of distribution. It is best to try not to understand GW trade policy but only know that it is a bad thing which will most likely continue to become worse as time commences.

Spiney Norman
01-12-2014, 23:41
Preordered End Times Khaine and the Cards, asap like before Friday, money down and everything. Now I realize the local shop can't sit there and wait for them to come up, who expects that?... well the shipment just came in Monday and I'm rather disappointed. I was actually at my computer when the preorders went live on GW's site but decided to stick with my preorder at my local shop. So to cut to the chase, I got the book in hard back but no cards....this is leaving me with a very bitter taste in my mouth. So it seems they don't have an inventory dedicated to support their stores and cards seem to be a smash and grab on the website only.

So now I'm sitting here wondering what I should do, I've seen people offer to buy books and ship them out. Anyone willing to do that for a fellow hobbyist with the cards? I know a set is sitting on a shelf somewhere out there. Or do I have to photocopy my book, I realize they are just some spells but I wanted a nice play set of official cards you know? I'm rather upset with GW over this limited card crap. If I want to buy VC cards years after they were released why should I not be able to throw my money at a screen and make them appear?

This is actually my first thread, thanks guys.

It sucks I know, I also order from a great independent stockist, but GW has been screwing him over more and more with what they do and do not send him. Back when Dark Eldar was released i ordered the cards from him but they didn't send him any, he is getting wise to their tactics now though and called up his rep on Thursday and tipped me off that he wouldn't be getting the cards in and I ordered them direct. It wasn't just the cards this time, GW screwed him over by halving the number of books he had been promised in his order from 10 down to 5, fortunately my name was 2nd on the preorder list, but I know there were some disappointments.

Ramius4
02-12-2014, 00:18
I reserved a copy of each at one of my FLGS. One of the biggest selling stores in the entire United States mind you... I figured out myself that they weren't getting the cards in (just had to look at the GW website to know that they were direct only). Anyways, the store called me a few days before release to tell me that they weren't getting as many as they had ordered (they got all the other ET books they had asked for, but demand was much higher for this one). Anyways, I missed out on the book. I did order the cards from GW though.

Bottom line is that it's not the store's fault. You should have no hard feelings about it towards them. At least you got the book.

Besides... The cards aren't a necessity.

ShruikhanTK
02-12-2014, 07:07
I don't have hard feelings towards the store at all, I know where the blame lies. Lesson learned and I'm going to be a vulture on the next limited card release, the only part that bugs me is I gotta buy the book too from them to get "free" shipping. I'll eat beans for the next few days to raise funds for a set -_-,

I realize they are just spell cards but have you ever just played a game with the cards neatly arrayed before you? It's quite convenient in my opinion, plus I like to collect complete sets as much as I like to play.

Col.Gravis
02-12-2014, 09:28
I always ponder this, as a LGS owner I know for a fact that GW tell us well in advance exactly what we can and can not get, both in terms of what items are available, and what caps are in place. There is'nt really an excuse for LGS owners to be taking pre-orders for things which they should be well aware that they dont get.

Does it suck that GW does'nt make some stuff available, yes admittedly, I know if we could get stock we could sell it, but the taking money/pre-order and then blaming GW leaves a bad taste in my mouth, the LGS needs to take responsibility for accepting the pre-order in the first place for something they should of known they would'nt get.

ShruikhanTK
02-12-2014, 19:42
It was relayed to me by the owner that they couldn't get the cards unless they were pre-ordered as a result of being direct order only. I should have took the warning sign right there but again I was paying already, my assumption was that GW had a stock that was only going out to stores. When Glottkin sold out I was able to walk in and pick up the last copy because they got some, so yea I figured stash A was on site and stash B was sent to stores. The thing that sucks is I'm probably going to shell out an extra 20 bucks because of this and secondly this hurts local shops because I'm going to bundle my order with GW next time to avoid getting screwed over again. Without brick and mortar shops how does this game survive?...surely not in my basement

Disposable Hero
02-12-2014, 22:48
I cancelled my ET Khaine pre-order as I am sick and tired of GW's tactics.

So one of us has Nagash, I have Glottkin and a third got Khaine. So far: one read only, one game of Undead Legion vs my Chaos Horde from Tamurkhan.

ewar
03-12-2014, 21:54
I queued outside my local GW an hour before opening, two gamers ahead of me and the store only had 2 books and no cards.

My need rage was incandescent... the biggest mall in Europe and they only had 2 books? Madness. So now I have no cards or books.

Fulgrim's Gimp
03-12-2014, 23:46
Remember they hire for attitude not skills and do no market research . So trying to predict demand is like magic to them .

Col.Gravis
04-12-2014, 10:10
I expect they had more copies ewar, but they probably were sold to the staff themselves and their friends, as an indy we had 10 copies of Khaine and I really cant imagine that an actual GW store would have access to less lol

MOMUS
04-12-2014, 12:57
My local independant miniature stockist had 8 khaine books, all sold. 8 books!!! They don't even have tables! Or carpet for that matter. :s

HelloKitty
04-12-2014, 13:09
Our GW store had 2 books as well and that was it.

biccat
04-12-2014, 13:47
I expect they had more copies ewar, but they probably were sold to the staff themselves and their friends, as an indy we had 10 copies of Khaine and I really cant imagine that an actual GW store would have access to less lol

I have two local independent stores, one got 3 copies and one got 1 copy. Another store about an hour away was able to get 6 copies.

They had all been reserved before the book was even released.

ShruikhanTK
04-12-2014, 18:12
Reserved before release? Well aren't I jealous, to have that kind of advantage in ordering minatures :/. I've seen the Nagash book NIB on Ebay for 100 USD free shipping, thats not bad at all if you ask me, I paid about 90USD after tax from GW. As an experienced Ebay seller/buyer I recommend biding your time for a few weeks to get a hard copy of ET Khaine, right now scalpers are raking in the cash from people who can afford to pay it. When the initial panic and desire settles down a bit higher prices start to look less appealing, some sellers panic by trying to recoup some losses or sell it before demand falls....that is when you the buyer strikes. So yea givie it a few weeks. Amazon works like this too.

doyouevenrealisebro?
05-12-2014, 08:15
To be fair to my Local GW store they pre-ordered mine (the book) for me so I didn't waste time and possibly miss out on the internet smash and grab. I think about another 15 guys got one as well. So we certainly can't complain.
In terms of the independent stores it appears to me that GW like to keep close control in that regard. In their stores they have complete control over the staff and therefore the tactics used to increase sales like upselling etc.
Whereas in independent stores they can't do that. Although this may be just pure speculation on my part.
On one hand it's a shame that independent stores have access to less stock.
On the other hand like a previous poster said they should not over pre-order when they know the boundaries GW have set. It's not fair to the store to receive so little support, but it's fair to the customer to know whether they are getting their product or not.

Grok
05-12-2014, 09:11
It sucks to order from your retailer and not recive it. Its another example of the mess those limited run products cause to the game and the community.
Aside from that I personally don't know why people feel they need those cards so badly. I'd feel perfectly fine playing with everything on my phone or tablet. I mean its probably nicer aestetically, if not more convinient, to have the cards but the money and stress involved in aquiering them seems to not be worthwhile for me personally. This thread is just another example of that.

tristessa
05-12-2014, 09:56
It sucks to order from your retailer and not recive it. Its another example of the mess those limited run products cause to the game and the community.

Some of the blame has to lie with the retailer who was pre-selling a product he knew he wouldn't be able to receive.

Though if I'd made a mistake (and they do happen) I'd have ordered a few on the webstore and made a loss, but made my customers happy.

ShruikhanTK
05-12-2014, 19:53
We are talking about GW models here, an extra 20 is a drop in the bucket for the current cost to play this game. The way I see it, if I'm going to shell out this kind of money I'm going to do it right. This is after all my primary hobby, MTG and Pokemon occasionally stick their nose in the budget but my closet is full of GW stuff.