PDA

View Full Version : RE: New WoC Player - Advice Appreciated!

Belthelas
02-12-2014, 08:09
Hello Warseer,

First of all let me apologise for this post! I know that there's a wealth of info on the internet (which I have read quite a lot)!) however I wanted to get the input of some experienced generals before I bought any more models. I normally end up spending quite a lot of money on units that just sit in my model box and don't want to make the same mistake again!

I'm coming back to the hobby after around 1 year, having played High Elves before. I want my WoC army to be hard hitting - nothing fancy, just hard hitting and brutal! I have a box of warriors (yet to be armed) and a chaos lord. I wouldn't mind having some chaos knights as I love the models and do want some cav however other than that I'm pretty open minded. I quite like the marauder cav models and haven't ever painted a big beastie which may be fun!

If anyone could spare 5 minutes to impart their knowledge it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

N00B
03-12-2014, 23:16
A lot of this depends on which way you want to go or if you have a God theme in mind.

My one stand out thing for someone in your position would be to get a Chimera. The model is relatively inexpensive and looks pretty awesome and it is a really solid pick in any army.

Belthelas
04-12-2014, 07:48
I didn't really want to have a God theme; in my mind I wanted it to be more of a 'viking' army with little mutation or dedication to one God but I think if i did use some marks i think Khorne would fit the bill.

Chimera does sound pretty cool; i've never painted anything that big and after watching a game last night with someone who had one I think i'll be including one!! He also said hounds, marauder horsemen and the skullcrushers were good (which is great as I like all the models!)

Metacarpi
04-12-2014, 10:08
Couple of units of warhounds as chaff, a Daemon Prince, two Chimeras, a unit or two of Skullcrushers, and fill core with Chariots. Boom - you've got the WoC netlist. Low model count and hits like a tonne of bricks.

ErictheGreen
04-12-2014, 10:12
hounds are good (not for thei stats but for deployment drops, redirecting, general chaff duties)
skullcrushers hit like a ton of bricks but you have to manage frenzy
chimeras are great for their points
demon prince is a great centrepiece and a real pain for most people to deal with when kitted out with a nurgle build
tzeentch disc riding lords or heroes can get a 3+ ward, re-rolling 2s, which is great for creating an anvil type character who can hold things up, hunt warmachines etc. with the lord, the crown of command on the lord makes him a great staller unit
gorebeast chariots hit like a train but are slow. core chariots are good for their points and slot

pretty much the only things that aren't either great or decent are marauders (too pricy), the slaughterbrute (shaggoth is better), dragon ogres (points inefficient. not bad, per say, but better choices in the slot), tzeentch magic (too random)

you can't really go that wrong with warriors

Belthelas
04-12-2014, 11:17
Cheers guys; I think the next purchase will be some hounds. They are cheap enough to buy, look easy enough to paint and will at least give me a unit or two more to play around with quicker (having 1 unit doesn't help with picking the rule back up!

N00B
04-12-2014, 12:56
With the new magic rules I think Tzeench Magic may have got a lot better - I wouldn't rule it out yet.

ErictheGreen
04-12-2014, 13:06
Assuming you're playing end times, yes, the tzeentch magic got a lot better. reliably cast on 2 dice, repeated magic missiles and 4d6 power dice (getting extra dice for 6s on successful spells). basically an arcane machine gun.

if it gets FAQd into the core game, i'll be going back to teentch magic. even with just a level 2

of course, if you can treason off against armies that rely on general and BSB, or glean against enemy spellcasters, that's going to be a big boon.

Belthelas
05-12-2014, 08:08
In terms of outfitting my warriors, I want to have them with shields however the chap I was watching on Wednesday was using them with both extra hand weapons and shields. without the benefit of having the army book, is that doable? I want them with shields as I like the look of them (and it makes them last longer!) but wanted to give them extra weapons and the mark of Khorne.

theJ
05-12-2014, 10:31
err... quick question: Do you have a set gaming group? If so, I'd recommend paying them a visit and finding out if they prefer fluffy or winning-at-all-costs armies before you buy anything. Warhammer models are rather expensive, and it'd suck to find out too late that you've bought an army that your regular opponent are going to hate playing against.

Belthelas
05-12-2014, 11:44
I play at my local GW store and, from what I've seen, there aren't any uber-competitive players. Most seem pretty laid back and just up for an enjoyable game so I don't think I need to min-max anything. I'm not completely obsessed about winning however my first marine army sucked, I never won, and quickly got bored of it!

theJ
05-12-2014, 13:03
ok... in that case I'm not sure how much help we really have to give. Warriors are a strong army, and unless you splurge on marauders, you should be competetive enough for a mid-tier club without our help. Get some decent combat blocks, a monster or two, a lvl3-4 wizard, maybe some doggies, and see what happens.

Warriors with shields should be fine - they'll have a 3+ armour save, 6+ parry, and their innate S4 A2 statline should give them all the offense they'll need to hold off all but the most elite opponents you'll face.
For formations, I'd recommend deploying them 6-7 files wide, with 2-3 ranks, depending on gamesize.

Oh, and you should probably ask your new gaming buddies how large of an army they'll want to fight against :)

Belthelas
08-12-2014, 07:46
I bought some hounds over the weekend and found a pretty cool app called Battle Scribe which I've used to put together what I have at the minute (minus any magic items/weapons). 12 warriors, 10 hounds and a lord and im around the 500 mark already! Watching a few army books on ebay so should be picking that up soon along with either a box of knights or another box of warriors (or both) and then I should be approaching 1000.

I am struggling with a sorcerer though; I really don't like the current GW models! Anyone know of any OOP models or models from other armies that I can use?

N00B
08-12-2014, 09:12
Demon Heralds are not bad if you are happy to go down the corrupted by Chaos route. If you want to go the other way then Empire wizards with a couple of changes can work well (I find banner tops with a god's sigil on them can be added to the tops of wizards' staffs to help build that kind of model.

Kingly
08-12-2014, 09:45
What you will find is that most people on this planet that play aren't that gamey, so if you go out and buy the list that was first mentioned you may well ruin your opponents night, some people only get to play one game a week and if that game is against a net list you may as well not bother playing.

If I were you I'd go for a good core and make sure you fill all slots of the turn process, so you have infantry, cav, fast cav, artillery, magic and a monster at least. That way you are not robbing yourself of the fun parts of all the turns, and as you're going Chaos nothing is really that weak an option, sure take some Chariots, but dont max out core in chariots as you'll be billy no mates. And I agree the Chaos Knights are sha-mazing models.

When I rock up with an army I bring Fanatics, archers & I take fire magic on the occasion, most of these are considered pretty rubbish, and well they are. But they look ace and they're some of the best minis in the Empire collection. I always have a good laugh and a win is hard to come by but it will feel great when I do eventually get one! :D

What I would say is combining WoC with Beastmen sounds amazing, like the good old days. Take a unit of Bestigors with Mark of Khorne, they'll look dead ard! :D

Belthelas
08-12-2014, 09:54
Sounds like the best way to go Kingly, especially since I do need to pick up the rules again. I had a friend who played and always had solid lists that I never won against. Like you said, I didn't enjoy playing against him but he was one of the only guys that I knew who played (It was 40K and he had a Grey Knights Draigo deathstar that I could never beat). Knights, Chimera, Chariot (gore beast perhaps) and marauder cav I think will be my next buys.

Also, I was thinking of an Empire wizard with a few spare parts to make him chaos looking.

Kingly
08-12-2014, 12:03
Yea the EMpire Wizards can easily be made to look evil, in fact both of mine look fairly, well neutral at least :)

Just based off the Marauder cav made me want to do a Chaos list, but I strongly dislike the Marauders infantry, I think they can and hopefully WILL do better models at some point. (A decent alternative model would be Empire Fanatics with flails) So yea, I'm a big fan of the Marauder cav, they have throwing Axes as well, which is amazing!

Gore Beast chariots are slow and expensive btw, I have found my best mates easy to dodge, but Nurgle chariots are such a pain in the rump.

Left Foot
08-12-2014, 15:21
I'm similar to OP in that I'm starting to paint things again and don't really have a clue what I'm doing after that. Can I steal the thread a little by asking what else I should add to my Nurgle themed Legion/WoC army.

2 Sorcerers
18 Warriors.
10 Forsaken
10 Hounds
10 Blight kings & Gutrot Spume
5 Knights
* 1 Hell cannon
* 2 Demon Princes
* 1 Warshrine

* On the slab being made.

(?) #clueless

theJ
09-12-2014, 11:22
I bought some hounds over the weekend and found a pretty cool app called Battle Scribe which I've used to put together what I have at the minute (minus any magic items/weapons). 12 warriors, 10 hounds and a lord and im around the 500 mark already! Watching a few army books on ebay so should be picking that up soon along with either a box of knights or another box of warriors (or both) and then I should be approaching 1000.

I am struggling with a sorcerer though; I really don't like the current GW models! Anyone know of any OOP models or models from other armies that I can use?
If you're still at the 1k point, then there's no need to worry quite yet. While wizards are currently considered "necessary" in standard games... said "standard games" are about 2k+ points, where you can afford to splurge on all the extras. Low level wizards are considerably less powerful, and can be safely skipped if you don't want them(in fact, I wouldn't recommend bringing any magic until you can afford to take at least three spells across your entire force).

I'm similar to OP in that I'm starting to paint things again and don't really have a clue what I'm doing after that. Can I steal the thread a little by asking what else I should add to my Nurgle themed Legion/WoC army.

2 Sorcerers
18 Warriors.
10 Forsaken
10 Hounds
10 Blight kings & Gutrot Spume
5 Knights
* 1 Hell cannon
* 2 Demon Princes
* 1 Warshrine

* On the slab being made.

(?) #clueless

hm... you're looking somewhat low on core, and if memory serves, Forsaken tend to like having spare ranks. You could also consider a second warrior unit or a chariot... oh, and a battle standard bearer gets ever more important as your army grows larger. It's not quite necessary for warriors the way it is for the other armies, as your units tend to win combat anyway... but still something to consider.

P.S. so... picked up the Gutrot bundle from GW, did we? a hint for the future; there are literally no saving at all on those things. Even if you want all the models, I'd recommend buying them separately so as to not encourage further BS from GWs side.
If you did buy those separate... nevermind :p

N00B
09-12-2014, 12:21
Forsaken only like spare ranks to not lose models from the front. D3 attacks + frenzy means supporting attacks are less good.

Regarding wizards and taking them it depends on your opponent. If you are playing by the Khaine magic rules then they are certainly viable and pretty strong in low point games as even low level wizards have a use for all the powerdice.

If you are using the BRB magic rules then not having about 3 - 4 spells minimum kind of sucks which means you are probably after a lord level wizard. The warshrine is pretty good at low points though if you don't take a wizard. With no superabundance of Lvl 4 wizards the disadvantages of being a bound spell and being easy to dispel kind of disappear. As an innate bound spell you also don't have to worry about miscasts so you can throw all your powerdice into it and hope for double sixes. At 500 pts I have been known to take two (although that is a little silly).

Belthelas
09-12-2014, 14:41
I think i'll leave the wizards myself then until later. Just started painted my test warrior and it looks like my army will be red! (got the hobby started set cheap on ebay).

Got more cash than I thought this month so its a box of knights and another box of warriors next! That and a BSB model!