PDA

View Full Version : warriors vs ogres

Imperator64
02-12-2014, 18:35
My question is what can beat a gutstar with characters inc. bsb with the asl banner and the bannr that prevents you casting spells on them? It just seems invincible. I don't want to use nurgle or slanesh so that means no purple sun or pit of shades. Is there anything that warriors can bring to the table that can stand toe to toe with them or am I going to have to rely on redirection and fleeing like a smelly elf?

Grix
03-12-2014, 01:19
Chimera's, Daemon Prince, Skullcrushers, MoN warriors w/halberds or GW.

It is very easy to ser up flank charges on the gutstar, and aside from S6/7 attacks you really just need to force a check on their bad leadership.

Almost everything (aside from GW warriors) will go before the Ironguts, push as many wounds through on RnF to build up combat rez.

They are not unbeatable, what makes them hard is the amount of high str attacks from a small frontage. So you need to minimize attacks by hitting flanks/rears and push attacks on to the unit.

If they are 3 wiee with CoC, kill the champion then go after the characters. BSB/CoC caddy are first priority, then Lv4 then any other.

Yamabushi
03-12-2014, 01:26
Can't the characters just make way to the flank and soak up the hits? At least thats how our local Ogre players play it. You probably need to flank charge with 2 hammer units at the same time.

Grix
03-12-2014, 01:32
Yes but you cant make way if he is already engajed. So if he has a killy Tyrant in the front charge dome dogs in B2B with him the charge something into the flank.

Combat rez and hitting on 5's hurts Ogres SO much.

Maetco
04-12-2014, 08:43
My question is what can beat a gutstar with characters inc. bsb with the asl banner and the bannr that prevents you casting spells on them? It just seems invincible. I don't want to use nurgle or slanesh so that means no purple sun or pit of shades. Is there anything that warriors can bring to the table that can stand toe to toe with them or am I going to have to rely on redirection and fleeing like a smelly elf?

I'm not that familiar with OK so could you please give extra info about the OK unit.

How big is it?
In what formation is it?
What is their equipment?
Does their banner give them ASL or to any enemy unit in base contact?
How are the characters usually equipped?
What is this item that prevents spell from being cast at them?

But without extra info I would go with:

1) Chaff, chaff and a bit more chaff; make sure the big bad wolf spends 6 rounds chasing its tail.
2) Unkillable DP build to stop it and making sure it doesn't do anything important in the match.
3) Multi-charge with units that don't give out Stomps and hit hard, like Skullcrushers or Skullcrushers.

ErictheGreen
04-12-2014, 10:03
6 ironguts. bsb. tyrant. slaughtermaster. characters go in front and the guys behind absorb shooting wounds for them through LOS. they have a magic banner that redirects spells, so magicing them off the board is very difficult. There's nuances i'm sure, but i'm not an ogre player.

I've found the tzeentch discolord is a handy counter for the gut star. mobile enough to get a charge off or play redirect. stubborn ld9 to cope with combat res. being forced to challenge isnt a bad thing - either they accept and you're protected from the unit or they decline and you send the killiest character to the back. lord should hold them long enough to manuevuer a hammer unit in place on the flank (skullcrushers, dragon ogres, knights, shaggoth, khorne halberds etc. etc.)

Joeman169
16-12-2014, 14:24
I like Warriors with Nurgle Mark and using Halberds. I have my Lord in the unit and he has the Other Tricksters Shard, and Helm of Many Eyes, more to get re rolls than to strike first. I like my Chaos Lord with the Halberd too.

I also like to soften em up with a shot or 2 from the Hellcanon. Slow em with Warhounds and then kill what's left with the Warriors. Maybe even toss a Nurgle Chariot or even better a Gorebeast Chariot of Nurgle in the flank for a sure win.
If your lucky the Hellcanon makes em run and dogs chase em off the table, and Ogreboy goes home crying

Knifey Keith
22-12-2014, 09:09
As an ogre player, I can simply say... Take out his chaff, because he WILL be using sabretusks to block and redirect charges. Most ogre armies will include 2 to 3 sabretusks , each individually run as a unit of 1. They are fast and due to being able to fielded as individual models they have insane mobility- Thus are exceptional at aforementioned role of blocking and re-directing.

Also beware that though a Gutstar containing a bsb bruiser, crown of command and a tooled up tyrant is a combat monster. It won't be run unsupported and will have assistance from small, mobile units of bulls, pistol wielding maneaters with the poison and scouts rule (These can and will hurt you as early as turn 1), small cheap units of Mournfang cav and/or the glorious iron blaster.

To wrap it up, any Ogre list running a proper Gutstar will have plenty of units to support and protect it. As I said, take out his chaff as early as possible and hit the Gutstar with combo charges early as possible. Your hammer units should charge that Gutstar asap to avoid constant shooting- Because thats how he's going to soften the blow and win that combat much quicker. One of your units WILL take a charge, but being WoC you should be able to weather it, till help arrives. Warhounds, marader cav, chaos knights and gorebeast chariots will be your friends.

One last thing; don't put too much stock into frienzied units, becuase a mobile army like ogres will have an easy time leading it astray. But thats just my opinion.