PDA

View Full Version : Long time away - Have some questions - The End Times

Alojolo
03-12-2014, 12:04
Hello there,

Because of my current studies I disconnected from Warhammer some time ago and now I find all these "The End Times" things going on.
Could somebody please explain me what it is? Are they new army books? New fluff? New rules? Is it really the end of times for Warhammer and this is some sort of farewell campaign?
I hope it's not the end because I'm willing to continue playing Warhammer.

If it has been asked before, my apologies in advance.

Many thanks and best regards to all of you.

Rake
03-12-2014, 12:24
Lots of speculation on whether it is the end of warhammer as we know it. I will stick to what is know.

These books MASSIVELY advance the plot of the warhammer world. We are talking main character affecting the world in major ways and lotsa main character deaths.

As for the rules. Have all books so far and not clear on these myself. One rule is universal and it is the one regarding percentages. Lords and Heroes can EACH make up 50% of your army. With the combination of new 1000 pt mega characters (on a powerscale unwitnessed in the last 25 years the game). As for the rest of the rule it provides combined army lists. Ie. Vampire Counts and TK in one army list (with some notable hero exceptions and changes), HE & DE in one list, HE & DE & WE in one list and Chaos deamons, Warriors of Chaos and Beastmen in one list. And then some optional rules like magic of the end times (dumbed down Storms of magic rules with retardomegasuperawseome15yearoldorgasm spells) chaos ascendant and some fluffy bits.

However whereas percentages are clearly FAQ into the game itself and the End times magic and chaos ascendant rules are clearly optional the new army lists are... not clear. Their powerlevel is such I would immediately demand player consent beforehand from any of my opponents, but its not clear.

Hope this clarifies.

Alojolo
03-12-2014, 12:32
Thank you so much.
So this does not substitute the "normal" 8th edition games, or it does? Are they two different things? Like two different games?
Could someone make a list from an 8th edition army book while his opponent makes a list from one of these books?

Thank you in advance once again.

HelloKitty
03-12-2014, 14:07
Supposedly the new 50% lords/heroes is now a core 8th edition thing

Acephale
03-12-2014, 15:06
I think some of the ET stuff - combined armies, crazy-powerful characters and magic designed to attract teenage boys with inferiority complex - will be part of the core 9th ruleset, like 50% L&H already is.

It makes no sense for GW to publish all these lavish books and expensive models and then just ditch the whole thing for a completely new ruleset that invalidates them. On the other hand, it's GW we're talking about so you never know... :rolleyes:

From a pure business perspective, the ET thing makes sense though; WHFB needed a shakeup and a lower barrier of entry, and these combined armies, herohammer supermegacharacter kits and overall "anything goes" feeling of the whole thing does make the game more accessible and easier to sell.

I just wish they'd finished publishing all the 8th ed army books first.

Liber
03-12-2014, 16:30
Could someone make a list from an 8th edition army book while his opponent makes a list from one of these books?

Thank you in advance once again.

Yes.

8th edition is still the current edition, and will be for some time yet. Rules wise the End Times make some basic changes (like you can take more lords/heroes options and some armies like Elves have combined lists) but its still the same Warhammer, just with some tweaks.

Fluff wise the End Times is huge. Vlad is officially an Elector Count, Nagash is back...oh and all Elves live together in Athel Loren under the rule of Malekith and the Everqueen. Yep :skull:

Scammel
03-12-2014, 16:46
Based on completely uninformed speculation, I can report that GW have poured lots of money into this release in order to axe Warhammer the week before last Tuesday, make all pre-existing models completely redundant, move the setting to a new planet were every army can ally with Space Marines, nerf Steadfast, introduce a skirmish system, up the model count and, finally, lower the model count.

All true, or my name isn't every other OP these days.

Not this one, though.

Philhelm
04-12-2014, 04:16
Based on completely uninformed speculation, I can report that GW have poured lots of money into this release in order to axe Warhammer the week before last Tuesday, make all pre-existing models completely redundant, move the setting to a new planet were every army can ally with Space Marines, nerf Steadfast, introduce a skirmish system, up the model count and, finally, lower the model count.

All true, or my name isn't every other OP these days.

Not this one, though.

You forgot round bases.

kylek2235
04-12-2014, 05:06
You forgot round bases.

and that the Dwarves create space bikes, colonize some high grav planets, take the name Squats, and then are eaten by Tyranids.

:)

Rake
05-12-2014, 15:44
so quick question. Rhetorical in my case as we are a small group of core gamers.
Would you have an objection if your opponent used a Host of the Eternity King in an pick up game without clearing it with you? Same with Undead Legions and Legions of Chaos or different? Why?

ShruikhanTK
05-12-2014, 20:17
Don't drop an ET army without clearing it with your opponent first, its entirely possible your list may be fair however maybe your opponent would like some time to prepare some juicy bits in his army as well, why should you get all the fun? I know I would instantly swap in Arkhan in my list, I already make my list flexible to do such a thing on the spot with designed point swaps.

N00B
06-12-2014, 00:04
so quick question. Rhetorical in my case as we are a small group of core gamers.
Would you have an objection if your opponent used a Host of the Eternity King in an pick up game without clearing it with you? Same with Undead Legions and Legions of Chaos or different? Why?

It depends... if it is a fluffy list and not overpowered then I wouldnt mind. If it is a friendly game expected and a win at all costs army comes down then I would resent it. It would be a bit hipocritical of me to complain though as i am hoping to play with my augmented beastmen.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
06-12-2014, 00:09

Yes, but only because the Eternity King list is batshit insane. The other two ET:Khaine lists are just fine IMHO, but giving an extra special rule to what are already the two best armies in the game is ridiculous.